The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
To get anyone even remotely in demand in free agency that's what you have to do. Overpay.

Which is why we should stay away from free agency unless we're getting a clear top 6 forward, top 4 defenseman or starting goalie. No reason to venture into free agency unless you're actually getting one of those pieces.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
To get anyone even remotely in demand in free agency that's what you have to do. Overpay.

No doubt. Do we really want to overpay for a 3rd line grinder based on a career year in a contract year? $4M per for a guy that usually has had Eric Nystrom type numbers? I'd much rather see if one of our prospects can fill that role and production and save our cap space for an actual need.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Would be a decent add for that third line role, depending on cost and term being looked for. The organizations seems to be sold on Jarnkrok being able to be that guy though, so I'd be surprised.

I'm sold on Jarnkrok not being the guy, or at least not counting on him for next season. I was discouraged by the comments Poile made, I'm afraid the third line might remain untouched and that would be a very bad thing for the Preds.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm sold on Jarnkrok not being the guy, or at least not counting on him for next season. I was discouraged by the comments Poile made, I'm afraid the third line might remain untouched and that would be a very bad thing for the Preds.

I'm with you. All we can hope is that his horribly slow start (and the rest of the third line) just prevented him from ever really getting comfortable on the offensive side of the puck and that he'll be much better with a year under his belt. I believe he has a solid hockey IQ and definitely the potential to be a 40 point guy, I'm just not sure he has the skill to be consistent in it, nor the strength to truly be effective in a third line role (even in a 3 scoring line system).

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
What about adding Justin Williams to our third line?
See if he would sign a one year deal?

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Wilson-Fisher-Smith
Fiala/Moses-Jarnkrok-Williams

I too like Soderberg, can he play wing?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
What about adding Justin Williams to our third line?
See if he would sign a one year deal?

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Wilson-Fisher-Smith
Fiala/Moses-Jarnkrok-Williams

I too like Soderberg, can he play wing?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/justin-williams-los-angeles-kings-free-agent-contract/

According to Kings insider John Hoven, Williams is looking for a three- or four-year deal in the $4 to $5-million range, a price that simply doesn't fit under L.A.'s current cap restraints. Stoll, too, could price himself out of a return to the Kings.

He did win a Cup with Lavy, so there's some history. That's a pretty big money/term commitment to a 33-year old (34 in October) third line winger with consistently declining production though.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
My question is what kind of contract will Jones, Ekholm, and Forsberg be signing next off season and how much of that is in the back of Poile's mind in signing players this year?

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I would love Beleskey, but we CAN'T give him more than three years. If we are stupid and sign him for 5 or 6, we will regret it. He's riding a career year and could easily regress in a big way.

Beleskey will go somewhere for big money and tank. He's the David Clarkson of this year's free agent class.

For us, with the bevy of young forwards we've bottled up in Milwaukee, any free agent addition needs to be a decided upgrade, someone who can move up and down the lineup, and someone who isn't alarmingly fragile. That's pretty much Stafford, Stewart, Vermette, Soderberg, and Frolik. If the club really believes Jarnkrok is the answer as the third center, then it's just Stafford and Stewart. I don't think anyone else on the open market is worth the investment of time, money, and roster space to potentially take a spot away from Fiala.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
People keep saying we need to trade for a #1C.

I just don't think that's possible. That's the one piece that teams do not trade.

Here's the top 30 centers in the NHL from last year:

Tavares, Crosby, Hudler, Backstrom, Seguin, G, H.Sedin, Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Johansen, Pavelski, Malkin, Getzlaf, Toews, Couture, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Turris, Thornton, Monahan, Jeff Carter, Spezza, Ribiero, Brassard, Plek, RNH, Bergeron, Duchene.

How many of those guys are realistically available?

Maybe Thornton?

I know we like to speculate that SJ is going to blow it all up and make guys like Pavelski or Couture available, but at this point, that's just HFboards fodder.

And are some of those guys really the answer we're looking for - guys like Turris or RNH are nice players, but are they elite #1C? I don't think so.

Honestly, after looking over that list and realizing that we're not going to magically land a Tavares or Seguin - it's tough to ask for more than what we got from Ribero last year.

This was a team that lost 3 one-goal games (2 in OT) in the playoffs to the Western Champs.

Bringing back everybody we can with some minor tweaks isn't a bad idea.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we could use a forward who can play both wing and center (Frolik, Soderberg or Eric Fehr?!). If we can't get those players, then go after players who have been very productive especially in the postseason (Ward, Vermette, Williams, Richards) We have to get one of those players. Overpaying will be the theme of this summer and we will have to overpay in order to get what we need.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

I just don't think that's possible. That's the one piece that teams do not trade.

Tavares, Crosby, Hudler, Backstrom, Seguin, G, H.Sedin, Stamkos, Tyler Johnson, Johansen, Pavelski, Malkin, Getzlaf, Toews, Couture, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Turris, Thornton, Monahan, Jeff Carter, Spezza, Ribiero, Brassard, Plek, RNH, Bergeron, Duchene.

Six of those centers were traded to their current team. 1st line centers do get traded, it's just rare and usually you're trading for someone who could potentially play on the 1st line. Other times you get lucky and draft a Monahan, sign someone like Ribiero or Hudler or find someone that was undrafted like Johnson.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

Maybe Thornton?

I know we like to speculate that SJ is going to blow it all up and make guys like Pavelski or Couture available, but at this point, that's just HFboards fodder.

And are some of those guys really the answer we're looking for - guys like Turris or RNH are nice players, but are they elite #1C? I don't think so.

Honestly, after looking over that list and realizing that we're not going to magically land a Tavares or Seguin - it's tough to ask for more than what we got from Ribero last year.

This was a team that lost 3 one-goal games (2 in OT) in the playoffs to the Western Champs.

Those are the ones that I see available for a trade... I'd love to get one of them, Thornton to a lesser extent.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Maybe Thornton?

You cannot discount E. Staal. Staal had a bit of a down year but he was also on an awful team. He has been close to a PPG player his entire career. He excelled in Lavy's system. I think a Forsberg-Staal-Neal line could be pretty special. While there is no real elite 1C available, Staal would be a good alternative. But I see the same team from last year more or less back.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
My question is what kind of contract will Jones, Ekholm, and Forsberg be signing next off season and how much of that is in the back of Poile's mind in signing players this year?

Jones - 3 or 5 years @ 3 - 4.8 mil

Ekholm - 2 - 5 years @ 2.8 - 3.5 mil

Forsberg - 6 years @ 4.8 - 5.5

All depends on performance.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Jones - 3 or 5 years @ 3 - 4.8 mil

Ekholm - 2 - 5 years @ 2.8 - 3.5 mil

Forsberg - 6 years @ 4.8 - 5.5

All depends on performance.

Jones & Ekholm I can agree on but Forsberg I think will be somewhere 6+

I also think that Duchene is another guy that may be available. But Jones/Duchene swapping teams in the same division seems a little unlikely.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Maybe Thornton?

Ill say it again..

making the statement that "nobody trades 1Cs" isnt proof that it couldnt happen, its just a testament to the fact that it would be very unusual for a team to have something to offer that would tempt a team to move a 1C.

you can say the same thing that "nobody trades 1D/franchise defensemen" which is true for the same reason... the return would need to be equivalent, and how often do you havea situation where a team has a surplus 1D or 1C?

but the fact is, we have a surplus of 1D and Edmonton for sure has a surplus of 1C. San Jose could be willing to part with a 1C if they are going to go full rebuild.

so it COULD happen... not saying it will, but if it ever was going to happen, now would be the time, and we would be the team to do it

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
So...I've been kicking around 2 different scenarios over the weekend.

Option 1) Dangle Seth Jones to a few certain teams. I believe that right now is as good a time as ever to bring in a #1C or top 10 NHL forward. Keeping both Jones & Ellis just doesn't seem feasible to me long term. One of them will have to be a 3rd pairing guy and neither should be. Jones has elite level potential and only 2 years in and Ellis has proven to be a solid PP Quarterback and a true 2nd pairing guy. He and Ekholm both have great chemistry and need to stay together.

Thus...I present discussion and options...

A.) COL (Duchene) - Probably very unlikely seeing as Colorado is in our division. But, I think it would intrigue them to have the #4 OVR pick and #1 OVR pick from the same draft; not to mention Seth is a hometown guy. They are looking for a LHD to play w/ EJ and Seth being RHD doesn't fit. But this could be too intriguing for the Avs to pass up.

B.) SJ (Couture or Thornton) - Couture makes the most sense between the two.Not sure if it could be a straight up deal though. For Thornton, I want a guy like Mirco Mueller coming back even if we have to add, which would be a no brainer. (We would!) But I'm not taking Thornton, a vet that may have 2-3 years left. I would want a young d-man coming back or picks. (the more I think about it - why trade Jones for Thornton if I'm going to ask for a defenseman back - might as well just keep jones if this is the only option.

C.) EDM (RNH) - This makes the most sense to me. Both young and equally of as much need to the acquiring team as the other. Edmonton needs a #1D/potential #1D and NSH needs their ever-elusive #1C. This seems like a "piece-of-cake" trade. On the other hand, Todd McClellan and Chia may just want to stick with the roster and see what it gets them under a much better coach than the team has seen in the past. But if Chia wants to shake things up and make noise early, this could be the right trade for him.

D.) TOR (Kessel) - We've heard Carolina and Florida are the leader in trade talk for Kessel but why not us again? Although not a center, this would give us a top 10 forward in the league. Toronto would be smart to trade an $8 million distraction for an elite level (potential) defenseman. Plus they'd have a young d-core of Jones, Reilly, and Gardiner to build around. This is a proposal that's been beaten like a dead horse but like the EDM proposal, I think it makes perfect sense.

Option 2 - You trade Ellis for a top 6 forward in a package. Yakupov? Maybe but...

Please discuss away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad