The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I've said that on the trade board and our own deadline thread.

Only 8 bidders, the return wouldn't be what everyone is expecting. But leaf fans yelled at the moon saying it would roster player, top prospect(s) and picks.

Probably weren't even close to 8 bidders either since a lot of those teams on his list didn't have the need and/or the cap space to acquire him. For example, I know Chicago and Minnesota were on his list and you could maybe argue Minnesota had the need but they didn't have the cap space.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I've said that on the trade board and our own deadline thread.

Only 8 bidders, the return wouldn't be what everyone is expecting. But leaf fans yelled at the moon saying it would roster player, top prospect(s) and picks.

Yeah, never got into that thread, but first thing that came to mind.
His last "list" had all big market teams that would have cap issues.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Yeah, never got into that thread, but first thing that came to mind.
His last "list" had all big market teams that would have cap issues.

Oh yeah I'm sure it did.

I'm sure that GMDP had a decent trade with them that shanny or dubas or whoever liked but phil said no thanks.

That's life. There was a time when chicago couldn't attract star players either.

Teams have to win or over seriously overpay to get players.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I forgot about the list. Good point!

As long as Smith and Wilson remain unsigned, doesn't it make you feel as if something could be brewing? At least the possibility is out there ...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I read today that Nashville wasn't bidding on Kessel afterall, it was "it would make sense" speculation that kicked off that whole flurry of rumors.

Surely the NHL network would not sensationalize to try and drive a better return for the Leafs:sarcasm:

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Surely the NHL network would not sensationalize to try and drive a better return for the Leafs:sarcasm:

Eh. I believe GMDP was. Problem being Kessel had no intentions to go to nashville no matter what relationship he had with GMDP.

It didn't matter about nhl network because no one watches that network and he had a list of teams. The same thing about Kesler trade his option was chicago and Anaheim. So the return was weak.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I know we're loaded with forwards right now but I am the only one who would like to see us go after Semin? Not for a long term deal or anything but a prove it one year deal. If he's right, he's a true 1st line winger capable of 70+ points.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I know we're loaded with forwards right now but I am the only one who would like to see us go after Semin? Not for a long term deal or anything but a prove it one year deal. If he's right, he's a true 1st line winger capable of 70+ points.

You are not the only one, as others have mentioned it, but I am not one of them. This is the same crap Poile has pulled the past several years.

GMDP's Annual FA Checklist:
1) Fill holes with aging vets/buyouts - ✓ ( Jackman, Hodgson)
2) Make the logjam at forward even worse, preventing rookies who should get a shot from making the team - ✓

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013

It doesn't make sense unless we move a couple of forwards. Preds already have a ton of guys looking to make the NHL roster:

1. Ribeiro
2. Forsberg
3. Neal
4. Fisher
5. Wilson
6. Smith
7. Jarnkrok
8. Moses
9. Hodgson
10. Gaustad
11. Nystrom
12. Beck
13. Bourque
14. Watson
15. Fiala

I wouldn't be opposed to something like Wilson + Jarnkrok/Beck + maybe a draft pick for Skinner then sign Semin (or not).

Forsberg - Ribeiro - Neal
Skinner - Fisher - Semin/Moses/Fiala
Moses/Fiala/Semin - Hodgson - Smith
Nystrom/Borque - Gaustad - Watson/Beck or Jarnkrok

Or something along those lines, looks pretty sick to me. I'd really like to move two or three of our forwards for an upgrade one way or another.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
You are not the only one, as others have mentioned it, but I am not one of them. This is the same crap Poile has pulled the past several years.

GMDP's Annual FA Checklist:
1) Fill holes with aging vets/buyouts - ✓ ( Jackman, Hodgson)
2) Make the logjam at forward even worse, preventing rookies who should get a shot from making the team - ✓

What rookies is he preventing from making the team though? Fiala I guess but he's going to be 19 when the season starts and could use a little more time in the AHL. Moses? Ehh, a tiny 26 year old that probably tops out as a 2nd liner in the absolute best case scenario?

Like I said, I'm not advocating signing him to a long term deal. Just one year where we offer him a top 6 spot and allow him the chance to sign a long term deal after next season.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
What rookies is he preventing from making the team though? Fiala I guess but he's going to be 19 when the season starts and could use a little more time in the AHL. Moses? Ehh, a tiny 26 year old that probably tops out as a 2nd liner in the absolute best case scenario?

Like I said, I'm not advocating signing him to a long term deal. Just one year where we offer him a top 6 spot and allow him the chance to sign a long term deal after next season.

It is more of an annual deal that Poile keeps doing. Signing one or two too many bottom sixers which in turn creates a logjam in Milwaukee. This year the only FA he should have signed unless he made some big trade was Ribeiro and a guy on Defense. the Hodgson deal was pointless IMO. If he was going to sign him, he should have not QO'd Beck.

And this year's rookies... Fiala, Watson and further down the pipeline..Sissons, Arvidsson, Salomaki. Tuesday Poile said that he see's both Fiala and Watson on the team this year, then makes these moves. One or both will not make it due to the Hodgson signing.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
It is more of an annual deal that Poile keeps doing. Signing one or two too many bottom sixers which in turn creates a logjam in Milwaukee. This year the only FA he should have signed unless he made some big trade was Ribeiro and a guy on Defense. the Hodgson deal was pointless IMO. If he was going to sign him, he should have not QO'd Beck.

And this year's rookies... Fiala, Watson and further down the pipeline..Sissons, Arvidsson, Salomaki. Tuesday Poile said that he see's both Fiala and Watson on the team this year, then makes these moves. One or both will not make it due to the Hodgson signing.

That's assuming that Beck and Bourque are locks to be on the roster, which I think one or both may not be. Maybe even Nystrom falls back to a sometimes-scratch.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
FWIW, Kristopher Martel doesn't think Wilson will be back.

http://admiralsroundtable.com/2015/06/24/qa-with-kristopher-martel/

It's a guess. He also says the same of Bourque and Beck because they don't fit Lavy's system. Wilson seemed to fit it just fine in the playoffs. While consistency hasn't been his strong suit I think it would be a massive mistake to lose Wilson at this point. He's strong on the puck, is a big body, which we lack up front and is a guy who will go to the front of the net on the PP. While he disappeared last year for some long stretches, he also had some of his best stretches of hockey we've ever seen in him. Power forward types take longer to develop than other types of forwards. We give up on him now and I think he goes somewhere else and blossoms. I'm thinking John LeClair here.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
I may be in the minority, but if it comes down to it, I keep Wilson over Smith every day.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I may be in the minority, but if it comes down to it, I keep Wilson over Smith every day.

Me too. Number's wise Smith may have done better, but Wilson brings something to the table we don't have a ton of. Only reason I don't see both coming back is if they are asking for stupid money and someone is willing to give it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad