The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Justin Williams only got 3.25 AAV for 2 years...woah.

He's only put up 50+ pts twice in 8 years. He's 33. Solid two way player and you don't have to wonder if he'll give you effort night in night out. I'd say it's right around what he's worth.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Probably already mentioned but nice to see Cal found his way back into the nhl. Don't know what phone numbers he pulled to get a 2 year deal but good for him.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
He's only put up 50+ pts twice in 8 years. He's 33. Solid two way player and you don't have to wonder if he'll give you effort night in night out. I'd say it's right around what he's worth.

I agree, but since when do UFAs get what they're worth and not ridiculous amounts more? I assumed he'd get 4.5 at least. The whole "clutch" label usually adds 1-1.5M for players

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I agree, but since when do UFAs get what they're worth and not ridiculous amounts more? I assumed he'd get 4.5 at least. The whole "clutch" label usually adds 1-1.5M for players

"I'm looking for 4.75m to start."

"We can't do that but we'll play you on Ovechkin's line."

"Done."

That's all I got.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
Like others have said, I see some kind of trade coming soon. I'm just wondering/hoping whether it's for a significant asset. Though nothing to complain about, there's certainly room in our top 6 for an upgrade. I feel one solid move there could transform our team from solid to legit contender.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
All I can think of is an Eric Staal trade, but if that was the plan, why did Poile sign Hodgson? I would guess we just see Nystrom/Bourque/Beck shipped out for picks.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
All I can think of is an Eric Staal trade, but if that was the plan, why did Poile sign Hodgson? I would guess we just see Nystrom/Bourque/Beck shipped out for picks.

Read in an article on Bleacher Report that Poile said he sees Hodgson slotting in on the 3rd line with Jarnkrok but on the wing.

As for Justin Williams, in a tweet posted on Bleacher Report a reporter mentioned that Williams had better offers in terms of money but it was between the Kings and the Caps mostly but when talks with the Kings broke down he chose to play for a team he considered a true contender. Literally said "I chose less in order to be on a contending team."

I could certainly see the makings of a Staal + Skinner trade, but I have no clue who we'd move. Would have to be one of Smith or Wilson + but I can only see that if he can't get a contract done with one of them...which it seems like one should have committed already? Maybe not, know it's still early but still...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just don't see a shakeup type trade like that happening now that Ribs and Fisher are both signed. I think Poile is going to roll with what we have and count on Neal having a better year, Wilson being more consistent, and Smith and FF at least not backsliding, with more secondary scoring from the third and fourth lines

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I guess with all of these acquisitions Poile is ttrying to say that Vesey isn't gonna come to play for us at least next season. Maybe in 2016-2017 if he wants to wait that long?

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
Like others have said, I see some kind of trade coming soon. I'm just wondering/hoping whether it's for a significant asset. Though nothing to complain about, there's certainly room in our top 6 for an upgrade. I feel one solid move there could transform our team from solid to legit contender.

I still think Alexander Semin would be an interesting addition. He struggled on a defensive first, bottom dwelling team and according to CAR fans had issues with their coach, which I'd imagine compounded the first two issues significantly. If allowed a fresh start in a more wide open system he could regain his form (38, 26, 34, 40, 28 and 21 goals before leaving WAS). Another project for DP, but the reward could be absolutely huge compared to simply working out. I think any combinations with this as our top 9 gives us three lines that could push us past the first round, if not further. And we wouln't have to give up any of our D-core.

Forsberg- Ribs- Semin
Wilson- Fisher- Neal
Fiala- Hodgson- Smith

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I still think Alexander Semin would be an interesting addition. He struggled on a defensive first, bottom dwelling team and according to CAR fans had issues with their coach, which I'd imagine compounded the first two issues significantly. If allowed a fresh start in a more wide open system he could regain his form (38, 26, 34, 40, 28 and 21 goals before leaving WAS). Another project for DP, but the reward could be absolutely huge compared to simply working out. I think any combinations with this as our top 9 gives us three lines that could push us past the first round, if not further. And we wouln't have to give up any of our D-core.

Forsberg- Ribs- Semin
Wilson- Fisher- Neal
Fiala- Hodgson- Smith

That would be awesome but we already have too many forwards. What would you for example to Moses, Jarny, Ny, Beck and Bourque?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not that Burnside is a great source (I personally think he's an ass), but he lists the Hodgson and Jackman deals among the best:

Cody Hodgson to Predators

Like with Mike Ribeiro last offseason, the Nashville Predators are taking a leap of faith (but not an expensive one) on a player who has fallen on hard hockey times. Hodgson was the 10th overall pick in 2008 and traded by Vancouver to Buffalo at the trade deadline in 2012, where he simply did not evolve into a top-two center for the Sabres, who bought him out of his contract. The Preds signed him to a one-year deal worth $1.05 million Wednesday. With Ribeiro and Mike Fisher signed, the Preds would be comfortably solid down the middle, a position that has historically been an issue for them, should Hodgson rediscover his game. If it doesn't work out, no harm, no foul for Nashville.

Barret Jackman to Predators

Jackman, once upon a time the 17th overall pick of the St. Louis Blues and a Calder Trophy winner, finds himself on the move for the first time in his career at age 34. And if time had run out in St. Louis, we like Nashville as a landing pad, as Jackman signed a two-year deal worth $4 million. Again, a manageable term and dollar amount for the Preds, who are awash in terrific young players along the blue line but can use a savvy veteran like Jackman to add some ballast. Under the radar but definitely a move that has the potential to pay dividends come playoff time.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13183873/nhl-winners-losers-opening-day-free-agency

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Back when the whole Liarpold saga was going down Burnside wrote a scathing article against the team. I've had no use for this guy since.

Yeah, he had similar stuff on the Thrashers and, only after the move, did he blame the ownership. It's like he didn't know the story until he read up on it. Oh...and I think he lives in Atlanta!

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I still find myself wondering if it would be worth kicking the tires on Semin. I think he'd still be good for 20+20 if his wrist is healed up. The guy can play either wing, has a blistering wrist shot (when healthy) and has scored a ton of goals in his career.

Maybe leave Watson in the minors for one more season and roll with something like:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Smith
Fiala-Fisher-Neal
Wilson-Hodgson-Semin
Jarnkrok-Gaustad-Beck

That's two reclamation projects, yes, but that third line has 3X the scoring potential of any combination of third-liners the team iced last season.

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
That would be awesome but we already have too many forwards. What would you for example to Moses, Jarny, Ny, Beck and Bourque?

Personally I don't have a clue. I'm sure Poile could find a way to clear out space one way or another. I doubt this ever comes to fruition, but it would be a bold move for us to go after him and could set us up nicely to go for the cup in the next season or two if Semin bounces back.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Probably already mentioned but nice to see Cal found his way back into the nhl. Don't know what phone numbers he pulled to get a 2 year deal but good for him.

Well he does have a brother who is really good who was traded to the team that just signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad