The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Forest went down still one more tier pretty quickly, and now looks more likely to do that again than achieve promotion though. I would be disappointed to see Sunderland sink that deep.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Forest went down still one more tier pretty quickly, and now looks more likely to do that again than achieve promotion though. I would be disappointed to see Sunderland sink that deep.

Oh, you needn't worry about sunderland fans. They'd be thrilled to renew acquaintances with English football's third tier after all these years.

Misery suits them. They're the humblest people on earth, you see.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Forest have been mismanaged for decades, this season is the first time there's been any kind of clear structure from top to bottom since Frank Clarke was in charge.

I'm expecting mid table for this season, with potential push to the bubble of playoffs next year, still need to get defence and a keeper who can play the way the manager wants

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
My Chesterfield FC are in an absolute world of trouble.... could slip from professional football this year, only a couple of years after nearly getting to the Championship. Awful

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
CHAMPIONSHIP: Sheffield United move to the top of the table after both Wolves and Cardiff dropped points this weekend, Cardiff with a disappointing home draw to Millwall. Bristol City another early surprise package are up to 4th after beating struggling Sunderland. 5th-16th is separated by 6 points so its all tight. Some "big" clubs struggling this season, most notably Sunderland with 1 win in 14! Birmingham, Reading and Hull dangerously close to the drop zone too

LEAGUE ONE: Shrewsbury lost their first league fixture today but remain top with only Wigan Athletic so far keeping pace (one point back). Those two have a gap now with the rest of the league. Blackburn just outside the playoff places for now while Pompey are in the lower half of the table

LEAGUE TWO: Very tight at the top with the top four separated by 3 points (Notts County, Accrington Stanley, Luton Town, Exeter City). The league in general is very tight with only Chesterfield being cut adrift at the bottom. Forest Green Rovers after a poor start have won three in a row to move up to 20th (first time ever in the football leagues, bit of an eccentric club lets just say :D)

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
My typical attitude to the Birmingham derby is one of regret that both teams can't lose 10-0.

Today's edition ended in a draw. (Usefully extending the gap between City and plucky little underdogs sunderland by a point). What really matters is that Birmingham doled out cardboard clappers to their fans in order to create some atmosphere.

Proof- if there were any lingering doubt- that the 2011 League Cup win was the consequence of a Faustian pact.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sensation on Wearside, where the match day experience was enlivened by a home fan dropping his pants and squeezing out a turd while sitting in the stand. Witnesses claimed the perpetrator's glassy eyes suggested he'd ingested something stronger than alcohol.

Reading (the football club, not the present particple) won 3-1. Which leaves sunderland one game shy of completing a year without a home league win.

If you visit the twitter account of Michael Martin, former editor of the Newcastle United fanzine True Faith, you'll see that nearby fans helpfully photographed the defecator in order to corroborate the story.

And they say there's no life outside the Premier League...

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Haha wow, the pics just beggar belief. Although, the hair of the perpetrator may be more of an offense

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Haha wow, the pics just beggar belief. Although, the hair of the perpetrator may be more of an offense

Prior to reading this post, I'd only seen photos in which the top of the turdmonger's head was obscured.

Immediately afterward, I sought out pictures of the alleged haircut, and met with success.

Wow. The fans missed a trick by failing to turn the stand-fouler upside down and use his barnet to clear the mess, rather than leave the excrement lying around. It would have been a suitable punishment for both crimes against society.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bristol beat 10-man Sheffield United (who have hit a rough patch of form last few weeks) and they take control of third place, one of the definite surprises this Championship season. If Cardiff don't win in Reading on Monday they can be within 3 points of automatic promotion

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Bristol beat 10-man Sheffield United (who have hit a rough patch of form last few weeks) and they take control of third place, one of the definite surprises this Championship season. If Cardiff don't win in Reading on Monday they can be within 3 points of automatic promotion

A little bit surprising, but they always had the potential, unpredictable no doubt.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Halfway through the Championship season and Wolves are starting to run away with this, full 10 points above the teams in the playoff spots and with Cardiff losing they gain ground on 2nd place as well. Derby hitting good form and are within striking distance of 2nd place. Despite getting a solid point at Villa, Sheffield United have gone from 2nd to 7th in this month

At the bottom, massive win by Burton away at Reading to get out of the relegation zone, Bolton also with an unexpected win against Cardiff. Sunderland-Birmingham ended in a draw today between two teams in the bottom 3

In the other leagues: Wigan leading League One with Shrewsbury and Blackburn being the realistic contenders for that last automatic spot. Portsmouth just outside the playoff spots for now. In League Two, Luton Town running away with the league with only Notts County keeping pace. However, its very tight at the bottom, 18th-24th separated by 5 points

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Prior to reading this post, I'd only seen photos in which the top of the turdmonger's head was obscured.

Immediately afterward, I sought out pictures of the alleged haircut, and met with success.

Wow. The fans missed a trick by failing to turn the stand-fouler upside down and use his barnet to clear the mess, rather than leave the excrement lying around. It would have been a suitable punishment for both crimes against society.
My apologies to being late to this, but I was going to add the boy's quotes but I found more than I had when this originally happened and I can't be picky: Poo-gate: I didn't poo in Stadium of Light - but I did drink a lot

Callum, who has had a season ticket for three years, had drunk 12 bottles of Bud and six pints of Strongbow Dark Fruit before travelling to the match.

He said he had nothing to eat that day apart from two chocolates from his
Christmas advent calendar.

What I was going to share, with the addendum that he's 17. Maybe not the best thing for a 17 year old to be admitting, although it would excuse someone from consuming that much Strongbow dark fruit. Additionally:

Callum said: “I was drinking at my house then I met up with mates at the pub and had a few there. I didn’t carry on drinking when I got there.

“But I had been out all night the night before at a party, that probably didn’t help. I got home at 8am and started drinking about 9am.”

Callum said spent around eight hours in police custody after being arrested for being drunk at a football ground.

Callum has now been suspended from his job and fears he could be sacked.

He said: “I have been suspended from work because of it. I think I’m going to get sacked to be honest.

“I’m slightly worried it will affect getting a job but it wouldn’t affect my work life, I’m not going to come to work drunk.

“I’m not usually like that. It’s just a one off, I’m not sure why it’s happened. I’m going to have to watch what I am drinking in the future.

“My mam and dad are going to support me through the whole thing. I think the club will ban me.

“I’m going to be upset if I’m not going to be able to go to the home matches anymore. But I can’t feel hard done by, it’s my fault, I have done it.”

By f*** son, you've got problems beyond the football if this is your reaction.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wolves with a massive win at Bristol, they played from the 14th minute with 10 men but Bristol also had their goalkeeper sent off shortly after the hour mark and Wolves scored twice after that to take the three points, now 11 points above third place. Derby move into 2nd place after winning in Ipswich and both Bristol/Cardiff dropping points

Sheffield United's slide continues as they lose at home to relegation strugglers Bolton; Brentford one of the more inform sides move up to 10th and within striking distance of the playoffs now. Birmingham remain bottom but finally win after 7 games without a win in the league, despite this run they are still not totally cut adrift either

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
What a roller coaster we had at Leeds today, holy hell. 2-0 up, Leeds down to ten men, we somehow contrive to go 3-2 down, tie it up with three minutes left and then won it in injury time.

Football, good lord.

Reactions: GB

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wolves lost at home to Forest but they still have a comfortable lead due to Derby-Bristol playing a draw, however Aston Villa are now within striking distance for 2nd place. Very tight as expected for the final playoff spots

In the bottom half, massive win for Sunderland against fellow strugglers Hull, they are tied on points with Hull having the better GD. Burton's GD took a beating with a 6:0 hammering to Fulham

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Almost perfect day for Wolves, they beat Fulham and see both their close rivals (Cardiff and Derby) drop points, Villa can go to 2nd tomorrow if they beat city rivals Birmingham.

At the bottom half, Sunderland came from three goals down to tie Bristol but they are still in the relegation zone and the hiring of Coleman has not delivered the boost which was expected.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Goals and red cards galore in the Championship today, notably in the derby between Sunderland-Boro which had two red cards in the first half and Boro came from behind to win 3:2, rooting Sunderland to the bottom of the table and they are starting to get cut adrift with Coleman also criticizing Ellis Short in a press conference. You suspect Burton will join them too, worst offense in the league + nearly the worst defense too. Elsewhere at the bottom massive victory for Barnsley away at Birmingham which was a 6-pointer while Hull too get a needed victory.

At the top not much change, Wolves will win the league with one of Cardiff, Villa, Derby joining them automatically in the Prem next season. The fight for the final playoff spots as expected will be tense to the final weeks

In League 1 it appears Wigan's to lose, currently in 3rd but because of their FA Cup run they have three games in hand on both Blackburn and Shrewsbury ahead of them and are only 3 points behind leaders Blackburn. Rochdale who are also making a run in the FA Cup are 10 points adrift however with 4 games in hand, but they must win probably at least 3 of them

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Sunderland managed to score with literally the last kick of the game so they get a point, however still bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad