The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
In the Championship, Villa beat Cardiff and Fulham win against Reading, leaving Fulham in the second automatic promotion place. Cardiff, however, has a game in hand.

Burton's 5-0 home defeat to Hull means they can be relegated this weekend depending on how results go.

sunderland compounded a penalty miss by allowing defender Ivo Pinto to score an 89th minute equaliser for Norwich, which prevents them fully capitalising on defeats for Barnsley and Bolton.

Five points separate fifth place Derby from eleventh place Preston. Two of those teams played each other tonight: Sheffield United beat Middlesbrough at home, dropping Boro out of a playoff place. Unlike every other team in the group, Derby have played 40 games rather than 42.

As for Millwall, I'm sure another contributor will have something to say about them...

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
In the Championship, Villa beat Cardiff and Fulham win against Reading, leaving Fulham in the second automatic promotion place. Cardiff, however, has a game in hand.

Burton's 5-0 home defeat to Hull means they can be relegated this weekend depending on how results go.

sunderland compounded a penalty miss by allowing defender Ivo Pinto to score an 89th minute equaliser for Norwich, which prevents them fully capitalising on defeats for Barnsley and Bolton.

Five points separate fifth place Derby from eleventh place Preston. Two of those teams played each other tonight: Sheffield United beat Middlesbrough at home, dropping Boro out of a playoff place. Unlike every other team in the group, Derby have played 40 games rather than 42.

As for Millwall, I'm sure another contributor will have something to say about them...
I'm lost for words at this point :laugh:

If we're going to do it, it'll be the hard way - we've Sheffield United and Middlesbrough away, and home games with Fulham and Aston Villa remaining.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wolves one win away from promotion and three of their next four are against the relegation candidates

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The goalie took so long to react

Maybe he didn't get a look right away and he probably wasn't expecting it to dip so much. Either way Neves has scored some spectacular goals this season. Forget the league he's in too because plenty are from set pieces or long distance shots.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Maybe he didn't get a look right away and he probably wasn't expecting it to dip so much. Either way Neves has scored some spectacular goals this season. Forget the league he's in too because plenty are from set pieces or long distance shots.

Looks to me like the keeper was simply deceived by the flight- as any keeper might have been, given the way it dipped. To be beaten that high and that close to the top corner strikes me as no disgrace. The keeper's starting position was central, so he can't be faulted on that score. Maybe a touch slow to spring, but not culpably so.

What intrigues me is the big bank of empty seats in the corner of the frame. Maybe it's the away fans. Given the acclaim from some quarters for Wolves' quality of football this season, in addition to the results, you'd expect a packed stadium every game.

Reactions: les Habs

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wolves officially promote to the Premier League after Fulham drew at home to Brentford, Wolves will win the division with one more win. Cardiff the big winners today, two late goals away to Norwich and they jump ahead of Fulham with a game in hand. Villa secure a playoff spot while the last two spots are still very much up for grabs, Millwall move into 6th after Derby's shock loss to Burton

At the bottom, Sunderland are six points from safety with 3 matches to play, they likely need to win their remaining matches. Burton with a crucial win over Derby but they are still in trouble (five points from safety). Barnsley rescued a late minute point at home to Bolton, probably not the result they wanted but with their game in hand they can jump ahead of Bolton with only a draw

Elsewhere below the Championship: Bury are the first team relegated from the EFL, finishing bottom of League 1. Accrington Stanley were held to a home draw with delays their promotion until midweek when they will have another chance.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Looks to me like the keeper was simply deceived by the flight- as any keeper might have been, given the way it dipped. To be beaten that high and that close to the top corner strikes me as no disgrace. The keeper's starting position was central, so he can't be faulted on that score. Maybe a touch slow to spring, but not culpably so.

What intrigues me is the big bank of empty seats in the corner of the frame. Maybe it's the away fans. Given the acclaim from some quarters for Wolves' quality of football this season, in addition to the results, you'd expect a packed stadium every game.
Isn't Molineux still being rebuilt?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Isn't Molineux still being rebuilt?

I don't know. Before I posted yesterday, I checked the current capacity- which is around 30,000.

Given Wolves' historic standing, no doubt there's potential to expand even if they aren't presently so doing.

It'd certainly be a logical explanation for those blocks being uninhabited.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know. Before I posted yesterday, I checked the current capacity- which is around 30,000.

Given Wolves' historic standing, no doubt there's potential to expand even if they aren't presently so doing.

It'd certainly be a logical explanation for those blocks being uninhabited.
It has been over the past few years, though they started at the opposite end:

BAZKLUIPTRAT7KKGAF7JCXROHI

If I cared more about English football I'd know if the longer stand is being done now or soon but that was my first guess

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Meanwhile on Wearside sunderland's plight prompted internet talk from certain Newcastle fans that they might turn up at the Stadium of Pink Seats to gloat over the old enemy's relegation. This first surfaced before sunderland played Norwich last week.

sunderland immediately jumped to the wise conclusion that the above must be true. You can understand their point- no investigation into the internet's content has unearthed a single instance of idle chat, fantasy, bravado or sheer lies ever.

A portion of the media, meanwhile, spotted a bandwagon- albeit a creaky, mossy bandwagon with square, wooden, broken-axled wheels- and yelled, 'A story! A story! This may elicit the attention of somebody somewhere! This may be our passport to relevance!' With one gulp, they swallowed the tale whole.

So now paranoia stalks the SR postcodes, and at present there's every possibility that when sunderland play Burton on Saturday the Durham Light Infantry will be reconstituted and mobilised in order to throw a ring of steel around the stadium to repel an army of disguised Geordies, whose strength is currently estimated at around 650,000, from infiltrating the home end, the away end, both dugouts and the pie stalls.

(I have an odd instinct sunderland will stay up. Bolton and Bimingham may only need two points to avoid the drop, but the former in particular are so awful- and their goal difference so close to the Mackems'- that I wouldn't be amazed if they were overhauled. But if I'm wrong, I doubt I'd laugh as much as this storm in a teacup has caused me to do).

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Murr. We had our chances in the first half, should probably have been ahead, second half though we were just outplayed. They're goooood and won't be out of place in the PL.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Well there it goes, Sunderland suffer back to back relegations after a 2:1 loss to Burton at home, even worse they had a goal disallowed in the 96th minute. They cannot finish above Burton/Bolton who play next week hence their official relegation. They got absolutely no bounce from Coleman’s hiring and more worrying for them is they are in poor financial state, so it could be a rough future for them but really a club of their size should get out of League 1 fairly quick, the problem is getting back to the Prem.

Two promotions as well; Wigan return to the Championship after one season (expect Blackburn to join them soon too as they both compete for the League One title). Luton Town promote from League 2 -> League 1

No relegations below the Championship however in League 2, Chesterfield are as good as down, 6 points from safety with two to play and their goal difference is -19 worse than the team in safety

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Always hilarious seeing utter shite like Sunderland sink without trace. Bet Chris Coleman's enjoying life right now.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Well there it goes, Sunderland suffer back to back relegations after a 2:1 loss to Burton at home, even worse they had a goal disallowed in the 96th minute.

I prefer to think about it being the other way around- relegation has suffered sunderland for the second successive season.

I wonder whether it's like the Jules Rimet trophy, and if it happens a third time relegation gets to keep sunderland permanently?

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad