Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Stray Wasp sighting

arry.png

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Also, is anyone here annoyed by the fact that Rafa won't pick Chancel Mbemba? The best defender in the squad and he can't get a game.

I like Mbemba's pace and technique, however those qualities are less important in the Championship than savvy and strength, so I can understand Rafa having preferred Lascelles and Clark most of the season.

I keep hearing Rafa doesn't feel Mbemba follows instructions as reliably as Lascelles, which is one reason he prefers the latter despite Lascelles having less talent. As for Clark, at that level he's steady and a capable organiser- as born out by the team's relative defensive struggles late in the season when he was out for several games. Over a forty-six game campaign, with little respite between games, its unsurprising a coach leans on someone that bit more experienced and vocal.

Rumours suggest Hanley is likely to go. If one older, quality centre-back comes in, maybe Rafa will feel Mbemba can play alongside him.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Reading held on to win, Fulham were knocking on the door but didn't finish their chances. Overall I thought Fulham were more impressive in this tie but its the goals that count

Even with the great saves Al-Habsi made, it's still hard to believe Fulham couldn't score even once, given how profilic they were in the league.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Sheffield Wed and Huddersfield going to ET after a 1:1 draw in the 2nd leg, Huddersfield were all over Sheffield especially that second half, Huddersfield will be disappointed the full time whistle was blown :laugh:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
penalty kicks now, Sheffield Wed missed their first kick and Huddersfield scored both of their opening two

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Huddersfield with the winning kick at their feet....and saved by Westwood!

Sheffield Wednesday must score now...

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
and they don't, Forrestieri looked nervous as hell and his penalty was easily saved. Huddersfield win 4:3 on penalty kicks

Reading vs. Huddersfield Town at Wembley, May 29th

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sheffield Wed and Huddersfield going to ET after a 1:1 draw in the 2nd leg, Huddersfield were all over Sheffield especially that second half, Huddersfield will be disappointed the full time whistle was blown :laugh:

A Sheffield Wednesday-supporting friend was in London, so I ended up accompanying him to a pub to watch the game. I must say, for all the possession and territory Huddersfield enjoyed, they fashioned little in the way of quality chances. Indeed, I thought their goal came rather out of the blue, because for five minutes or so beforehand the game had lulled into a period of midfield-situated caution.

To my mind, there was little between the two teams. Wednesday perhaps suffered a touch from The Weight of History syndrome, and they struck me as an outfit somewhat compromised by the irreconcilable styles of Forestieri and Fletcher. Huddersfield possessed greater speed and mobility down the flanks, and where their opponents used crosses they tended to employ pull-backs- a tactic that ever-so-marginally allowed them to match up better against Wednesday's weaknesses than the Owls matched up against theirs. From the first, Pudil at left back was targeted, and it was from that avenue the equaliser came.

Fletcher's headed goal was brilliant (albeit a harsh referee might have ruled it out for a shove), but more often than not the service he received was rushed and over-hit. Still, Wednesday had done the hard part, and gained the lead against opponents inclined to counter. I couldn't hear the commentary, so why Fletcher was subbed I can't say, however I suspected at the time that, given the circumstances, bringing on Jordan Rhodes wasn't ideal.

That Rhodes can't run is an unfortunate drawback. Graver yet is the fact that outside the opposition penalty area he can't play football at all. (At one point, dipping his toe into the realm of tracking back by following in the wake of a Huddersfield player carrying the ball into the final third, he positively minced in his opponent's wake, as though venturing too near the fellow might lead to him picking up fleas). When he came on, any hope of Wednesday being able efficiently to see out the game went off. Not that they did a lot wrong, they merely lacked enough composure to prevent the ball coming back at them, time and again. Huddersfield began to find small spaces between the lines, more than once leaving the Owls trying to play offside without pressure on the man in possession. Town's goal was the usual corollary of such situations: the trap sprung, the defence turned, a pull-back, the ball bundled into the net. After that, one sensed only a mistake would prevent the game going to penalties, and mistakes were avoided.

Huddersfield stumbled to the league season's end, and I'd say it's significant they progressed without winning either game of the tie. I expect Reading to beat them in the final. As for Sheffield Wednesday, it's absurd that their absence from the top flight is creeping close to twenty years.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Exeter – Carlisle 3:2 (6:5 on agg)

After a 3:3 draw in the first leg these two teams once again provide a goalfest with some late drama to boot. Carlisle scored in the 91st minute which would have sent the game to ET but Exeter scored a 95th minute long range effort which sends them through!

Luton – Blackpool 3:3 (5:6 on agg)

Another late goal, this one heartbreaking for Luton who conceded an own goal in the 94th minute

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Championship: Reading (3) vs. Huddersfield Town (5) [May 29]
League One: Bradford City (5) vs. Millwall (6) [May 20]
League Two: Exeter City (5) vs. Blackpool (7) [May 28]

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
No expectations for Saturday, we haven't been very good for most of the season so I can't say we deserve to go up. Team would need major surgery should it happen though.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Microcosm of our season, get mostly outplayed then nick one because if nothing else, we have dangerous forwards who'll take their chances.

Well, back to Division Two we go :D

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Yay! The PFC Shareholders and the Pompey Supporters Trust have today approved a sale of the club to Michael Eisner's group.

While I loved supporting a fan-owned club, there was limited room for growth. Eisner's the real deal who's very keen to build the club in a responsible way. Incredibly proud day to be a Portsmouth Supporter.

Together with the PST’s 48.5%, this means 81.4% of the club’s equity holding is in agreement with the sale. The threshold to approve a sale, as laid down in the shareholders’ agreement, is 75%.
Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...rnante-group-3723005.aspx#M4JyH1VslXAMOJ67.99

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Yay! The PFC Shareholders and the Pompey Supporters Trust have today approved a sale of the club to Michael Eisner's group.

While I loved supporting a fan-owned club, there was limited room for growth. Eisner's the real deal who's very keen to build the club in a responsible way. Incredibly proud day to be a Portsmouth Supporter.

I foresee Portsmouth in administration (again) within 5-10 years, paying off pennies in the pound to creditors (again). They never learn.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I foresee Portsmouth in administration (again) within 5-10 years, paying off pennies in the pound to creditors (again). They never learn.

What makes you say that? Eisner's a solid investor, far from the shady Russian and Middle Eastern owners that came in after the FA Cup win.

He's presented a very good 5 year plan for modest growth in the club, and refurbishing Fratton Park, which is in dire need of some serious TLC.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
What makes you say that? Eisner's a solid investor, far from the shady Russian and Middle Eastern owners that came in after the FA Cup win.

He's presented a very good 5 year plan for modest growth in the club, and refurbishing Fratton Park, which is in dire need of some serious TLC.

He's 75, so not likely to be there for the long-haul. Given the PST said they could "easily sustain Championship football" under their model, there's only one other kind of progress they're looking to make. I see lots of spending so he can see his new acquisition in the top flight ASAP, before an eventual relegation screws the finances again.

Portsmouth have always been boom and bust, both on and off the pitch.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
He's 75, so not likely to be there for the long-haul. Given the PST said they could "easily sustain Championship football" under their model, there's only one other kind of progress they're looking to make. I see lots of spending so he can see his new acquisition in the top flight ASAP, before an eventual relegation screws the finances again.

Portsmouth have always been boom and bust, both on and off the pitch.

True, but his investment group includes his son, and he's talked often about wanting this to be a family thing. It's definitely a concern, but so far he's definitely said all the right things.

I think a Championship Squad fan owned is possible, but the budget for next year had them in the bottom 25% of League 1 squads, as far as salary goes. The ground needs millions of pounds of work done, and even that may not save the park. As it is, they'll have to substantially reduce capacity for safety reasons next year, and likely tear down the Milton End and rebuild it from scratch. Reduced capacity certainly doesn't help finances.

He's committed to responsible spending, and not going out and spending tens of millions of pounds. He's made a commitment to the Academy, and in his presentation he said, "It offers a chance to develop stars of the future from within the organization...It is smarter to invest in new, young talent than to pay ridiculous, outrageous, over the top sums for the current reigning superstars." That doesn't sound like someone who wants to overpay in the short term to get into the top flight.

Hopefully he's true to his word, but he convinced the PST, who have been incredibly wary. That's good enough for me.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I really can't see either of these teams doing anything next year other than finishing bottom three unless they make MASSIVE additions. Can't see them scoring enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad