The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Huddersfield Town wins 4-3 on penalties after scoreless 120 minutes.

I hate PK's, but the drama is awesome.

First time in the modern era for the Huddersfield.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wagner has done a fantastic job there, hard to see them stay up though but if Burnley and Bournemouth can do it maybe they can as well despite a limited budget

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Taking it kind of out of context, isn't it? Watford has 90,000 people and is in the PL, Norwich has 140,000 people.

Huddersfield are 'underdogs' not because of the population but because they're simply historically a lower tier club playing second fiddle in their area to Leeds and the Manchester clubs.

Meh. Watford is part of London. I know it technically isn't, but it basically is. It has tube stops.

Norwich's metro is closer to 375,000.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Meh. Watford is part of London. I know it technically isn't, but it basically is. It has tube stops.

"Metro" areas don't really have the same meaning in the UK. People are very loyal to their towns and care little for urban agglomerations. Where I grew up was assimilated by Greater London in the 1960s, but still has a Kent mailing address and most people who live there say they live in Kent rather than London.

I guess if you don't like the Watford example you could have Barnsley.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

As Denzil mentions, 'metros' don't mean that much in a densely populated country like Britain with many polycentric regions and near continuous settlement.

Football is largely a matter of identity for cities, towns, boroughs, districts and so forth rather than large 'metros'. Otherwise there would only be about 10 clubs as there aren't that many major metros. Yet there have been about 50 clubs in the Premier League to date - and some of the large metros such as Sheffield or Leeds aren't represented this year or haven't been represented in several years.

Watford might be very close to London but that doesn't benefit the club all that much. It helps in some ways because there's more money in outer suburban London than in formerly industrial Yorkshire or the West Midlands. But it also hurts the club because they have to compete with the bigger London clubs for fans. Their market really is only Watford and the surrounding areas of Hertfordshire.

Huddersfield itself is just a few minutes' drive away from Halifax and Brighouse, two sizable towns. It's only about a 15 mile drive to both Bradford and Wakefield. And it's still an easy matchday drive from Manchester and Leeds. It's a pretty densely populated area. Yet it'd be wrong to say that all those areas are natural reservoirs for Huddersfield Town fans. Huddersfield Town as a historically fairly mediocre club has no appeal beyond its immediate surroundings.

And that's my point here. Huddersfield are about as classic a lower league club as one could find and that's what makes them utter underdogs in the PL. But the comparison to some similar-sized 'market' playing in a major league is misguided because the town size isn't what makes Huddersfield a special case. The PL isn't a league of franchises placed in major cities.

I may add that Kaiserslautern won two Bundesliga titles in the 90s and that town has just about 100,000 souls. Aside from the club and some major U.S. military installations there's not much there. What allowed them to compete at the top of the German game was a rich history and thus a large fanbase across an entire region.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Ha! I went here to see if it was mentioned and it was. So many good parts in this story.

There is something about this story, about British culture and the worse parts of football hooliganism turned into something remarkable in the right situation. All over the web there are fans from rival teams giving Mr Larny credit for his action, an action very much part of what the fans of Millwall are known for.

This one got some more content:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-bridge-terror-attack-fk-****-you-im-millwall-hero-roy-larner-football-fan-lion-of-london-a7775246.html

They chanted "Islam, Islam" and "This is for Allah".

In return, Mr Larner shouted: "I'm f---ing Millwall!!"

Phyllis Larner, 78, told The Sun: “He’s fearless, my son. He’ll give as good as he gets.

“He’s quite nippy and lippy and wouldn’t back down from a fight.
“He wouldn’t care who it was or if they had a knife or gun.”

Fans of the south London club have long prided themselves on their refusal to duck a fight, celebrating their intimidating reputation with the chant: “No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Good Morning Britain, presenter Piers Morgan, a fan of rival London club Arsenal, told viewers: “Millwall fans get a very bad rap, a lot of it very deserved, but there are times when you really want a lot of Millwall fans, and that was one of them.

“I didn’t think of my safety at the time,” he added. “I’d had four or five pints — nothing major.

As he recovers in hospital, Mr Larner’s friends have brought him a running magazine. The front cover headline reads: “Learn to run.”

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Championship season starts tomorrow with the rest of the league football fixtures kicking off Saturday

Important note for US viewers, BeIN is no longer the rights holder to the Championship and League Cup, ESPN bought the rights but the Championship games (and only select ones) will be on their online WatchESPN. I would assume the league cup games with the big teams will be shown on something like ESPN2

Tomorrow's Sunderland vs. Derby is on ESPN3

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone have good tips for buying tickets to lower league matches? I'm going to London in October with a few friends, and we absolutely want to go to at least one match while we're there. We're going to try to get to a PL match, but prices/availability might be an issue.

Besides, I think it would be fun to check out a Championship match, or even a L1 match. We have been following AFC Wimbledon for the past few seasons, they're playing at Charlton while we're there, so we may try to hit that game!

Is it feasible for Championship/L1 games to just walk up to the stadium and get a ticket? Or do you have to buy ahead of time? It looks like they don't even start selling tickets until a few weeks before the match.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Anyone have good tips for buying tickets to lower league matches? I'm going to London in October with a few friends, and we absolutely want to go to at least one match while we're there. We're going to try to get to a PL match, but prices/availability might be an issue.

Besides, I think it would be fun to check out a Championship match, or even a L1 match. We have been following AFC Wimbledon for the past few seasons, they're playing at Charlton while we're there, so we may try to hit that game!

Is it feasible for Championship/L1 games to just walk up to the stadium and get a ticket? Or do you have to buy ahead of time? It looks like they don't even start selling tickets until a few weeks before the match.

I think you'll be fine. Minus a few exceptions (Portsmouth, for example, has sold 15,000 Season Tickets), you should be able to get tickets day of.

Speaking of Portsmouth, Eisner's group took over the club Thursday. Very excited for this new chapter.

For fans of Champ/L1/L2 squads, you can now stream the games via iFollow.

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

$140 for the year isn't too shabby. I may buy one week to see how the quality is before pulling the trigger, but I'm excited I can finally keep tabs on my club.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Sold out lower league games are a rarity. A point you may wish to consider is that if you buy your tickets in advance it gives you more control on how you spend your pre-game time, to say nothing of the improved chances of finding a seat in an area that suits your preferences.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Sold out lower league games are a rarity. A point you may wish to consider is that if you buy your tickets in advance it gives you more control on how you spend your pre-game time, to say nothing of the improved chances of finding a seat in an area that suits your preferences.

Cool, thanks for the thoughts. Good to know if we want to go catch a match, spur of the moment.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Cardiff, Wolves and Ipswich remain perfect after three matches, Cardiff have yet to concede, Wolves won back to back away matches at Derby and Hull to show their intent after a lot of spending in the summer while Ipswich is the early surprise, won a 4:3 thriller at Millwall.

Teams expected to fight for promotion off to poor starts: Fulham start with three consecutive draws while 2nd favorites (according to the betting sites, have no idea why :laugh:) Aston Villa are also winless in their first three but in fairness their fixtures to start the season is tough

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
We'd been due to give someone a thumping, Norwich going home with a 4-0 loss. We've played better before this just without the finish.

Season under way!

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Leeds looking like legit promotion candidates, they have only conceded twice so far this season and are scoring goals for fun (including the cup matches)

Something I expected this summer but not this poor is Sunderland struggling (poorly run club and probably will be the next Nottingham Forest type team who stay down in this division for a while). Only one win from 6...Aston Villa no better despite being the 2nd favorites for promotion in the bookies :laugh: Redknapp also just above the relegation zone with Birmingham

Bolton and Brentford still without a win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad