The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If all it takes is Murray and Anderson , let’s get the deal done tonight . Pld can fill in for Anderson , and provide more versatility . Team becomes an instant cup contender if we acquire Duchene .

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
The way Milano is playing I no longer see him as a piece. Imo I've had him as mid 6 NHL ready for 2 years but just like now just no spots but with 2 RW a LW and a C spot I want Milano at the LW spot he is as ready as he ever will be and I want his play making ability I'm our team. If PLD is on the wing and Dubi up the middle or even Jenner that could be one hell of a line for a 3rd...

Right now Murray and Anderson for Duchene and a pick is what I'm thinking is my best offer.
Wonder what would happen if Jarmo gave Avs the right to talk contract with Anderson and he said not interested?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The game today just made my belief that we don't need to trade for Duchene even stronger. Don't mess with the depth that we have.

Reactions: cbjpointman

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We trade Murray, and get 1 (ONE) injury in the top-4. Our 4-5-6 is now Nutivaara-Carlsson-Harrington. Not "cup contender".

We do not have a need for Duchene.

Reactions: CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
We trade Murray, and get 1 (ONE) injury in the top-4. Our 4-5-6 is now Nutivaara-Carlsson-Harrington. Not "cup contender".

I disagree , we were in top 5 defensively last year , all 3 of those guys are serviceable . I would counter that going into a season with Wennberg, dubi , Sedlak and ? Down the middle is absolutley not a cup contender . Wennberg should be a 2c , and Dubi should be a 3c , Sedlak a 4c. Center is a much bigger need

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Sure, center is a bigger need now, but defense will then become a need. We have no need to trade for a player who appears to have quit on his team. It is obvious you don't like Wennberg, but our team is fine the way it is. We are better now than we would be with Duchene and minus 2 or 3 assets. Duchene is just not a big enough upgrade (if he is an upgrade at all).

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sure, center is a bigger need now, but defense will then become a need. We have no need to trade for a player who appears to have quit on his team. It is obvious you don't like Wennberg, but our team is fine the way it is. We are better now than we would be with Duchene and minus 2 or 3 assets. Duchene is just not a big enough upgrade (if he is an upgrade at all).
I like Wennberg, but he continues to not shoot the puck, and is below average on face offs . Your judging Duchene as he continues to be stuck in a quagmire situation ? He reported to camp, thinking he would be traded , and the jackets have even said in the press they want to get this deal done now . Duchene is a great center , great face off man, has elite speed , above average passer, he’s just been stuck in an organization that has no purpose

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I disagree , we were in top 5 defensively last year , all 3 of those guys are serviceable . I would counter that going into a season with Wennberg, dubi , Sedlak and ? Down the middle is absolutley not a cup contender . Wennberg should be a 2c , and Dubi should be a 3c , Sedlak a 4c. Center is a much bigger need

Yeah, serviceable playing 14-15 min a night in as limited as possible situations. Are you giving "credit" to those 3 guys for the "top 5" defense? Or just saying that our defense is simply as good with or without Murray? Because 2 of the guys barely played. And all 3 at ALL times played behind Murray when he was in. My point is why does Murray get no credit for the D being so good? Murray is just as important to this team as Savard and Johnson. But hey, I remember what a lot of people had to say about them 2 years ago too. :cool:

Center has a big impact on defense also. And while I like Karlsson, "downgrading" from him to Sedlak will have a very minimal impact. Dubinsky, no matter where you slot him in at, will take the "hard" matchups at center as much as he can. Those "hard" matchups are mainly against some, if not all of, the best players on other teams. Those players play A LOT. So your idea that Dubi should be a "3c" in your EA sports world is not logical. Not to mention we have 2 guys in Jenner and Dubois that seem to both be able to move Sedlak down to "4c" type minutes if needed. Our 3rd/4th line center "issues" are not more important (with our overall offensive depth and quality of the D) than keeping this "top 5 defense" intact.

Reactions: 18136

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What would people think about Wennberg for Duchene? Its a 3 year age difference. The salary/cap hit difference in the near future along with the possibility he could also simply leave in a couple years seem to me the "only" drawbacks. Not sure how much, if at all, we would be losing in the "playmaking" department.

Too soon?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I like Wennberg, but he continues to not shoot the puck, and is below average on face offs . Your judging Duchene as he continues to be stuck in a quagmire situation ? He reported to camp, thinking he would be traded , and the jackets have even said in the press they want to get this deal done now . Duchene is a great center , great face off man, has elite speed , above average passer, he’s just been stuck in an organization that has no purpose

When have they said that?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What would people think about Wennberg for Duchene? Its a 3 year age difference. The salary/cap hit difference in the near future along with the possibility he could also simply leave in a couple years seem to me the "only" drawbacks. Not sure how much, if at all, we would be losing in the "playmaking" department.

Too soon?

That's really bad. I would never trade Wennberg for Duchene. That's bad enough. It gets even worse when you take into account that we want another center to add to Wennberg.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
As much as I think Duchene would be a great upgrade, and a luxury, he is just that, a luxury. If this team loses Murray, we lose our depth and Columbus wont be anywhere near top fivs defense. Nuti, Harrington and Carlsson are all either not realiable enough or just have yet to develop enough. Columbus can only pay so many guys 6 mil a year and best believe Duchene is going to want something comparable to that. I also think Wennberg will be much better and we got him for a steal. Pass on this, sign Anderson, enjoy oue depth and keep developing PLD to be that 2C.

Reactions: Jackets16

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Very good point on the D depth ....

For me its like we have to figure out a way to not gut our D depth just to land Duchene.. and that simply might not be possible. I think a package without a young defenseman would be a non-starter for Colorado.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Foligno to center makes a lot of sense. Who will be a better center at the All-Star break: Fligs or Duchene? The answer to that question alone should indicate our next move.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
If Foligno is in Columbus playing center and Duchene is in Colorado playing center, the better center will be Foligno.
If Foligno is in Columbus playing center and Duchene is any of 30 other places playing center, the better center will be Duchene.

I have been of the opinion, after Duchene is traded, he could be playing center for Buffalo by night and working snow removal by day and will be the happiest guy in the city. However gets this guy will immediately have the happiest player in the National Hockey League.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Very good point on the D depth ....

For me its like we have to figure out a way to not gut our D depth just to land Duchene.. and that simply might not be possible. I think a package without a young defenseman would be a non-starter for Colorado.

While I appreciate the concern about how a trade might weaken our Defense should an injury occur, I am concerned about our weakness at Center while currently at full strength.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
While I appreciate the concern about how a trade might weaken our Defense should an injury occur, I am concerned about our weakness at Center while currently at full strength.

I'm not. I guess that is the difference. I would much prefer to have the strongest defense possible. If we trade for Duchene, fine. I am just not that interested. Now, if you were to tell me we were trading for a legit #1 center, my opinion would change.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

With Dubinsky back in the lineup I'm not as skeptical.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Werenski-Jones
Carlsson-Savard or Johnson-Carlsson
Nutivaara-Harrington

what will we ever do with such a defense..

Probably lose quite a few more games than last year. Quite frankly I don't see how anybody can think Carlsson is ready for "top 4" minutes. His skating, among other things, needs work at this point. The dude needs to model his game more like Prout and less like Jones, at the NHL level, IMO. I liked what I saw from Nutivaara most of the year last year. Was not as impressed at all with Carlsson, either in the handful in the playoffs or the single preseason game. A defense without Murray and Savard would not be "good" at all, IMO.

We lose Murray the defense gets worse, period. How much so is for debate. However, Carlsson and Nutivaara are not on his level currently. There's also a good chance that the defense will not be as "healthy" as they were as a whole last year. 1 d man being out at any given time is pretty common. Losing Murray, then getting 1 important (top 4) injury, let alone 2, would be a disaster for the D. Think if a Jones or Savard go down. Its crazy that you guys can forget about all the YEARS with a below average or bad D, after 1 good year with a good D. And ignore the correlation.

How did the team play without Murray last year? I seem to remember people saying the numbers/record were not good.

And really, do we even have a weakness at center, at all? Was Karlsson that important? How and why were we so good last year with a weakness at center and a redundant 3/4/5 D man? It wasn't all Werenski and Karlsson.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Probably lose quite a few more games than last year. Quite frankly I don't see how anybody can think Carlsson is ready for "top 4" minutes. His skating, among other things, needs work at this point. The dude needs to model his game more like Prout and less like Jones, at the NHL level, IMO. I liked what I saw from Nutivaara most of the year last year. Was not as impressed at all with Carlsson, either in the handful in the playoffs or the single preseason game. A defense without Murray and Savard would not be "good" at all, IMO.
We must be watching two different players, because Carlsson's skating and reach are his two biggest assets.

And why anyone would want to model their game after Dalton Prout is an absolute mystery to me.

Reactions: Jackets16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad