The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Sakic at this point reminds me of the guy that you'll see on Pawn Stars with an item that's valuable but not insanely valuable.

Guy: "I want $55,000 for this."

Rick: "Okay, well, there are a few problems. I've had one of these before and it took forever to sell. It's a niche item, and people don't come into my shop looking for these. And there have been a few that have turned up at auction recently. One sold for $10,500; one sold for $11,000; one that was in pristine condition sold for $13,000. This isn't in pristine condition, so the best I could do is $7,000."

Guy: "No way, I had three different people offer me more than $40,000 for it just a month ago!"

Rick: "Then go chase them down and see if they'll still offer that much, because you will absolutely not get a better offer for this item."

Guy: "No really, one guy was like 'whoa, I've never seen one of these before!' and he offered me $60,000 on the spot. I've got all these other offers for it that I'd have to go through before I'd even think about $7,000."

Rick: "Sure, and it's a neat item, but I couldn't come close to those offers. The market's just not there."

Guy: "Yeah, he had $60,000 in cash and everything."

Rick: "I hope you got his info so you can call him up and take that offer. I'm not going any higher than $7,000."

(Long pause)

Guy: "Yeah, I can do $7,000."

To me it's the fact that Sakic wants the deal to "hurt" us more. It's like a billionaire shopping for a 10 million dollar house, but the guy selling it wants 20 million because the guy buying it has more money than him.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Sakic at this point reminds me of the guy that you'll see on Pawn Stars with an item that's valuable but not insanely valuable.

Rick: "Okay, well, there are a few problems. I've had one of these before and it took forever to sell. It's a niche item, and people don't come into my shop looking for these. And there have been a few that have turned up at auction recently. One sold for $10,500; one sold for $11,000; one that was in pristine condition sold for $13,000. This isn't in pristine condition, so the best I could do is $7,000."

Guy: "No way, I had three different people offer me more than $40,000 for it just a month ago!"

Rick: "Then go chase them down and see if they'll still offer that much, because you will absolutely not get a better offer for this item."

Guy: "No really, one guy was like 'whoa, I've never seen one of these before!' and he offered me $60,000 on the spot. I've got all these other offers for it that I'd have to go through before I'd even think about $7,000."

Rick: "Sure, and it's a neat item, but I couldn't come close to those offers. The market's just not there."

Rick: "I hope you got his info so you can call him up and take that offer. I'm not going any higher than $7,000."

(Long pause)

I gotta know what this thing is

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Who leaves Colorado first; Matt Duchene or Joe Sakic?

This has gone on so long I can't remember how it even started.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

(Long pause)

I hope, much like the Pawn Stars, we can rip off someone by buying their priceless treasure for way below market value.

Sounds unlikely but it could happen. After all, you never know what is gonna come through that door.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I hope, much like the Pawn Stars, we can rip off someone by buying their priceless treasure for way below market value.

Sounds unlikely but it could happen. After all, you never know what is gonna come through that door.

I'm in the camp that Duchene is not a priceless treasure. I want some other priceless treasure to walk through the door.
With Wennberg as a #1C, then Dubi will be fine as #2C for 2 more years, with Dubois at #3 waiting in the wings. Duchene is a #2C, a good one, but that is where he sits in my eyes -- Imo Duchene is not a better player than Wennberg, a half a rung down from Wennberg with Wennberg having more upside to go. If Dubi is done, there is more need than just Duchene - and that's when you use valuable assets.

Duchene is a very good player, but acquiring him in order to slot Dubi to 3C and Dubois to either 4C or a W (with Sedlak staying at 4C), is not the difference making move that puts the CBJ clearly into the SCF hunt - no one player probably can do that (Viqsi's anti-savior stance), and Duchene is definitely not that player. Now give us Tavares; then I would do a different dance.

Thus, I do not see spending solid cost-controlled assets like Carlsson and Bjorkstrand and a 1st for what in essence is only a 2-year insurance policy if Dubi doesn't return to form for the next 2 years or Dubois doesn't fill the bill at 3C. (Duchene only has 2 years left on his current contract). I also think including Jenner in a trade for Duchene would be a mistake - Jenner's lack of goals and struggles last year came at a time when the remainder of the team was hot - they picked him up and he KEPT PLAYING - and finally his game did come around. He's a warrior, and that's a trait I want to keep. In comparison, Duchene quit when the chips were down... sorry, that's what I saw.

I accept that Murray might be a piece of a package that we could/should offer to get another player Duchene - however, we would be "selling" Murray at his lowest value. Get Murray going again and either that makes him a keeper in CBJ's top 4 next year or his trade value is even higher. If trade is the answer then, Murray can be used as part of a package later to fetch a C of higher caliber than Duchene (possibly high enough to slot Wennberg into 2C). Whether that then is Bjorkstrand, or Jenner, and/or whomever, that remains to be seen. I understand the "got to give to get" mantra...the problem for me is, I don't see Duchene as the shiny toy we need to get. He's tarnished. So why give anything of value?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

(Long pause)

Bravo :clap:

Except at the end of that story so far its the stubborn guy walking out of the shop hoping to hit a miracle. :(

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At even strength Duchene slides Wennberg down. Wennberg hasn't been a good 5v5 scorer yet, while Duchene has had years on end of top 10 center play. (Sliding Wennberg down in the abstract, of course, our lines will not be so easily ranked).

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
To me it's the fact that Sakic wants the deal to "hurt" us more. It's like a billionaire shopping for a 10 million dollar house, but the guy selling it wants 20 million because the guy buying it has more money than him.

"This house was last appraised at $7 million, and I've upped my offer repeatedly and we're now at $10 million. I'm fine with that number."

"You're a billionaire, you can do $100 million and a private jet. In fact, I already have an offer from another billionaire for more than that, so I'm even offering you a break!"

That's what this is like.

It's like during the massive 2012 rebuild. Did any of those trades actually hurt either team? Did it hurt Ottawa to give up their third-line wing in Foligno, or Phoenix to give up a couple draft picks for Vermette, or Philadelphia to give up their backup goalie, or the Rangers to give up a second-liner and a third-liner plus a free prospect and a 1st? Perhaps they'd like to undo those trades at some point down the road, but these were mutually beneficial transactions.

That's what I don't get with Sakic. All of this looks like what happens if you take someone who thinks being a GM is like playing NHL '17, which is arguably still more qualified than he is.

I gotta know what this thing is

Bravo :clap:

Except at the end of that story so far its the stubborn guy walking out of the shop hoping to hit a miracle. :(

There was one where an old guy brought in a car that he was asking something like $60,000 for. "The expert" comes in, rattles off everything he knows about that exact car and every variant of said car, notes the condition as well as the market, and points out that the last one auctioned was in better shape and went for something like 1/3 of that price. Old guy gets mad, questions the knowledge of the expert, and holds fast to his demand.

I actually went through something similar after my last car crapped out. I had a backup option, but figured I'd check to see what I could find on Craigslist that might be had for a song and a fresh set of spark plugs that would make "does not run" turn into something I could get a few years out of.

Anyway, someone had a car that caught my eye: a pristine-looking 1985 Mercury Topaz. And the asking price was something like $27,000, when one in great shape and low mileage would be 1/10th of that. Now, I can appreciate a crap car that looks like a GTA: Vice City extra as much as anyone, so I figured I'd ask what the best price he could do is (thinking that the $27K was a typo). Best price was $27,000, because for some reason this guy had rebuilt everything from the ground up and had about that amount into it. It mirrored a similar inquiry I'd had with someone else over a similarly-restored 1991 Volvo sedan.

Obviously Duchene isn't the NHL equivalent of a Topaz or a Volvo sedan or a Del Sol or one of those ghastly late-80s Mustangs. But he's not a Bentley either, and the fact that the asking price has been reported to be in that range is absurd. I don't think that he's a better player than Nash was, I don't think he's a more valuable asset than Nash was, and the idea that a team should be expected to hand over a package equivalent to double what Nash got is pure madness.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm in the camp that Duchene is not a priceless treasure. I want some other priceless treasure to walk through the door.
With Wennberg as a #1C, then Dubi will be fine as #2C for 2 more years, with Dubois at #3 waiting in the wings. Duchene is a #2C, a good one, but that is where he sits in my eyes -- Imo Duchene is not a better player than Wennberg, a half a rung down from Wennberg with Wennberg having more upside to go. If Dubi is done, there is more need than just Duchene - and that's when you use valuable assets.

Duchene is a very good player, but acquiring him in order to slot Dubi to 3C and Dubois to either 4C or a W (with Sedlak staying at 4C), is not the difference making move that puts the CBJ clearly into the SCF hunt - no one player probably can do that (Viqsi's anti-savior stance), and Duchene is definitely not that player. Now give us Tavares; then I would do a different dance.

Thus, I do not see spending solid cost-controlled assets like Carlsson and Bjorkstrand and a 1st for what in essence is only a 2-year insurance policy if Dubi doesn't return to form for the next 2 years or Dubois doesn't fill the bill at 3C. (Duchene only has 2 years left on his current contract). I also think including Jenner in a trade for Duchene would be a mistake - Jenner's lack of goals and struggles last year came at a time when the remainder of the team was hot - they picked him up and he KEPT PLAYING - and finally his game did come around. He's a warrior, and that's a trait I want to keep. In comparison, Duchene quit when the chips were down... sorry, that's what I saw.

I accept that Murray might be a piece of a package that we could/should offer to get another player Duchene - however, we would be "selling" Murray at his lowest value. Get Murray going again and either that makes him a keeper in CBJ's top 4 next year or his trade value is even higher. If trade is the answer then, Murray can be used as part of a package later to fetch a C of higher caliber than Duchene (possibly high enough to slot Wennberg into 2C). Whether that then is Bjorkstrand, or Jenner, and/or whomever, that remains to be seen. I understand the "got to give to get" mantra...the problem for me is, I don't see Duchene as the shiny toy we need to get. He's tarnished. So why give anything of value?

Duchene on last place Colorado who checked out halfway through the season is definitely worse than Wennberg pushing for 1st place against the Caps and Pitt.

Now you put Duchene on a team competing for first place it's going to create competition for that spot. I don't think you really could say one is better than the other at this point. We don't know what Wennbergs ceiling is, or if he'll even hit 50 next season.

But I have little doubt given Wennbergs minutes last season Duchene matches Wennbergs output last season.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012

I think it is much simpler. Sakic had a team that was viewed as up and coming after they got MacKinnon and they completely fell apart last year. One more bad year and he is done. It makes no sense for him to deal Duchene for future value because Sakic may not have a future. He needs a big success to try to buy some time and needs a guy that he thinks will immediately impact the team. Unfortunately for him, Duchene at 22 looked like a future star. Duchene at 26 has become nothing special.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it is much simpler. Sakic had a team that was viewed as up and coming after they got MacKinnon and they completely fell apart last year. One more bad year and he is done. It makes no sense for him to deal Duchene for future value because Sakic may not have a future. He needs a big success to try to buy some time and needs a guy that he thinks will immediately impact the team. Unfortunately for him, Duchene at 22 looked like a future star. Duchene at 26 has become nothing special.

I think it was dreger who said Sakic wants it to hurt because he knows that on Columbus Duchene could easily get back his value in which he's asking for, but at his current state in Colorado he doesn't carry that kind of value.

I honestly think Sakic is willing to go into the season with Duchene and hoping someone like Columbus or Ottawa has a injury to their top 6 centers and are forced to make a move.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I think it was dreger who said Sakic wants it to hurt because he knows that on Columbus Duchene could easily get back his value in which he's asking for, but at his current state in Colorado he doesn't carry that kind of value.
Friedman. And Porty said on Denver podcast that Sakic wants to be a clearer winner of the trade to media and fans.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
At even strength Duchene slides Wennberg down.
Geez, you keep bringing those even strength numbers everywhere, like PP does not count anymore. And i don't know what is more important with those new rules, when penalty is called every single minute.
while Duchene has had years on end of top 10 center play
Yeah he had them, who knows if he still has them in him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Geez, you keep bringing those even strength numbers everywhere, like PP does not count anymore. And i don't know what is more important with those new rules, when penalty is called every single minute.

Look two posts above mine at forepar's post. If you are talking about where the two centers fit in the 4 lines, then yes I do think even strength is what we should be looking at. Wennberg isn't close to being a top line quality center at even strength, maybe someday, but not yet.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

“It’s tough to make trades when you know the value of your asset is lower than it should be,” indicated LeBrun in a general sense. “I don’t know if that’s affecting Sakic as much in this situation. I mean, he played well for Canada at the World Cup of Hockey. He’s an Olympic gold medalist. I think people know that. People understand that if he’s not on a last-place team and he’s on a contender that Matt Duchene is Matt Duchene, his skating ability hasn’t gone anywhere.

“And maybe I’m wrong. But when I talk to other teams – and listen, the Columbus Blue Jackets, I think they view him as the missing piece on a very good hockey team. And they’re not alone. There’s other teams too.

“So I’m not sure that that has been as much of a factor as maybe some people think.”

You may doubt his ability but it's not the issue that's holding this back. The teams that want Duchene are in no hurry or need to do so. Both sides are playing hardball, only difference is Sakic is shooting himself in the foot by doing so. From listening to Torts talk the team is very aware of advanced analytics so they know exactly what Duchene is. He's a much better plater than his stat line indicates. This FO has been very "by the books" when it comes to trades and negotiations and I don't see them starting to over pay now, considering the Anderson situation.

I get the feeling they've offered a fair market value trade that both teams can consider a success, as most of Jarmos trades have been. But it seems Sakic wants something he can parade around town as a big win for the franchise and Murray Milano and a 2nd (or whatever was really offered) wasn't good enough.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I get the feeling they've offered a fair market value trade that both teams can consider a success, as most of Jarmos trades have been. But it seems Sakic wants something he can parade around town as a big win for the franchise and Murray Milano and a 2nd (or whatever was really offered) wasn't good enough.
LeBrun: "I talked to a GM yesterday whose belief is that Joe Sakic is intent on keeping his price tag high and he's willing to wait it out."
So, top4D, blue chip prospect and a 1st.

Or from McKenzie
If it’s three high-end pieces, we’re talking about a player that’s established in the NHL already – between 20-24 years of age – as well as a first-round pick, as well as a top prospect.

“If the young NHL player isn’t established, if it’s all prospects, then the price goes up to those four high-end pieces.â€

Keep waiting Joe.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sakic will have one more opportunity to move him before his values falls off the cliff, at the deadline. I'm sure he's hoping for a bounceback season.

If he's still around next off season he's really not going to have a ton of value with a pending UFA deal, especially if he doesn't have a huge season.

Sakic really doesn't have a lot of leverage here. The whole NHL knows that Duchene isn't going to re-sign and the market is going to be larger with the fans than other GM's.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
At this point if I’m Duchene , I have to consider leaving camp to force their hand . Clearly he wants out , and other teams are being more than fair in their offers , Sakic is just incompetent , or doesn’t get the fact that you don’t want to keep a player on your team that has checked out . Usually I side with the team or management , because players have agreed to their contracts , and should honor them , and I think that’s what Duchene is trying to do , but the team is a bungling mess , and he’s been more than patient .

Also , if we trade for Duchene, no doubt he’s the #1 center . Wennberg will be #2,
And Dubi at then#3, and we absolutely need this , as we are weak , down the middle .Wennberg is a great passer, and put up a lot of points last year , but he is not a very good outlet , and transition passer at this point . If your playing on a line with Panarin , and Atkinson, you need this skill set . Also , Duchene is a much better skater, Wins nearly 2/3 of his face offs . Wennberg is less than 50% , actually closer to 47%. And until Wennberg starts shooting the puck at a consistent basis , he will be a liability to his line mates . It was easy to see last year , why our power play fell off a cliff . Teams started sagging off Wennberg , and playing the cross pass , because they know he won’t shoot the puck .Dont get me wrong , he’s a great young player , but he has some real deficiencies that he must improve to be a #1 center .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So, top4D, blue chip prospect and a 1st.

Or from McKenzie

Keep waiting Joe.

Sounds like Murray + Carlsson + 1st (D focused).

Maybe Murray + Bjorkstrand + 1st? Sounds like the Murray + Milano + 1st won't be enough to get it done and Carlsson + Milano + 1st may not satisfy their "current top 4 D" requirement.

Insane to think Sakic wanted Ekholm + (or was it Ellis +?).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
At this point if I’m Duchene , I have to consider leaving camp to force their hand . Clearly he wants out , and other teams are being more than fair in their offers , Sakic is just incompetent , or doesn’t get the fact that you don’t want to keep a player on your team that has checked out . Usually I side with the team or management , because players have agreed to their contracts , and should honor them , and I think that’s what Duchene is trying to do , but the team is a bungling mess , and he’s been more than patient.

Just a few years ago the CBJ were the bumbling mess and quite a few guys wanted out (Nash, J. Carter). Sakic's job is to maximize his assets. If there are multiple teams actively bidding he shouldn't take the best current deal, because multiple teams will mean you can get more (unless Duchene gets hurt or publicly says he won't play for Colorado or says he only will play for whatever team). We're biased because we certainly may have the best current deal out there but from Sakic's point of view he will likely get more (just imagine if Wenneberg gets hurt, what would the CBJ offer then).

Again I think he is an upgrade to what we have, but I don't see him as an elite player. I wouldn't offer much more than Murray and Oliver or Milano, but that's me. I just don't see him as the guy that you give up too many multiple pieces for.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
At this point if I’m Duchene , I have to consider leaving camp to force their hand . Clearly he wants out , and other teams are being more than fair in their offers , Sakic is just incompetent , or doesn’t get the fact that you don’t want to keep a player on your team that has checked out . Usually I side with the team or management , because players have agreed to their contracts , and should honor them , and I think that’s what Duchene is trying to do , but the team is a bungling mess , and he’s been more than patient .

Also , if we trade for Duchene, no doubt he’s the #1 center . Wennberg will be #2,
And Dubi at then#3, and we absolutely need this , as we are weak , down the middle .Wennberg is a great passer, and put up a lot of points last year , but he is not a very good outlet , and transition passer at this point . If your playing on a line with Panarin , and Atkinson, you need this skill set . Also , Duchene is a much better skater, Wins nearly 2/3 of his face offs . Wennberg is less than 50% , actually closer to 47%. And until Wennberg starts shooting the puck at a consistent basis , he will be a liability to his line mates . It was easy to see last year , why our power play fell off a cliff . Teams started sagging off Wennberg , and playing the cross pass , because they know he won’t shoot the puck .Dont get me wrong , he’s a great young player , but he has some real deficiencies that he must improve to be a #1 center .

At even strength Duchene slides Wennberg down. Wennberg hasn't been a good 5v5 scorer yet, while Duchene has had years on end of top 10 center play. (Sliding Wennberg down in the abstract, of course, our lines will not be so easily ranked).

Duchene on last place Colorado who checked out halfway through the season is definitely worse than Wennberg pushing for 1st place against the Caps and Pitt.

Now you put Duchene on a team competing for first place it's going to create competition for that spot. I don't think you really could say one is better than the other at this point. We don't know what Wennbergs ceiling is, or if he'll even hit 50 next season.

But I have little doubt given Wennbergs minutes last season Duchene matches Wennbergs output last season.

I see your thoughts, but we will need to agree to disagree on Duchene's value to CBJ. He is a bit more productive than Wennberg in terms of his own goal scoring, but his assists only once in his career exceeded (by 1) Wennberg's assist total of 46 last season. How is it that Duchene is so much better at transition passing? I don't see it with the eyeball test or the statistics.

And while I know many like advanced stats metric like CORSI/Fenwick and others, and that +/- may be an indicator more about team play than individual play, +/- is still a metric for evaluating 5-on-5 play. Even in Duchene's 67 point year in 10-11, he was a -8. In 15-16, before the train wreck, he scored the exact same number of points as Wennberg did in 16-17, and was a -8. Wennberg's negative +/- for his first 2 seasons were on train wreck seasons for the CBJ. FWIW, Wennbergs CF% EV was 51.2 last season, 49.3 for 15-16; Duchene's was 49.1 for 16-17 and 45.4 for 15-16, only above 50% in 11-12 season.

Maybe my biggest hangup is that Duchene quit on the Avs and his teammates last year - at least I haven't read any claim to the contrary. After the fact, most excuse it because the Avs were so bad. But part of the reason the Avs were bad is because Duchene was bad.
On the flip-side, I didn't see Wennberg quit in the 14-15 or 15-16 seasons when the Jackets were awful and the seasons were over for all intents and purposes by Thanksgiving. Instead Wennberg (and others) battled...and got better for the long run as a result. You can argue that he was still playing for a spot - but he PLAYED nonetheless!

I would rather continue to push forward with Wennberg as our #1 when he is continuing to progress and just signed a 6 year deal at great AAV, and preserve assets for a better deal down the road than bring in Duchene. I just don't see Duchene as an improvement over Wennberg for more than half of a season as Wennberg continues to progress. Duchene to me has already peaked, is not a good fit for the CBJ room, is 4 years older than Wennberg, and who has only 2 years left and will be a UFA. Unless Duchenne would clearly be our #1C and a full cut above Wennberg (which I don't see), I would not spend any significant assets for him.

Duchene's career stats from Colorado Avalanche site:
Yr GP G A TP +/- FO%
09-10 81 24 31 55 1 44.03
10-11 80 27 40 67 -8 50.4
11-12 58 14 14 28 -11 51.15
12-13 47 17 26 43 -12 54.65
13-14 71 23 47 70 8 50.28
14-15 82 21 34 55 3 52.18
15-16 76 30 29 59 -8 57.92
16-17 77 18 23 41 -34 62.57

Career 572 174 244 418 -61 52.7

Wennberg's stats:

14-15 68 4 16 20 -19 42.73
15-16 69 8 32 40 -1 43.38
16-17 80 13 46 59 9 47.39

Career 217 25 94 119 -11 45.0

Could Duchenne get back to his 13-14 season - possibly.
Could Wennberg exceed Duchene's 13-14 season - possibly, 10 more goals and he's essentially there. I think he gets more than enough assists to get to 70 this year.

Maybe I'm just fatigued with the Duchene talk that I just want it over.
Maybe I am wrong in thinking that Dubi is still solid in the #2C spot for 2 more years once healthy.
Maybe Dubois is not going to be a solid #2 or even #3C in the next few years.

But from the get-go, I'd rather bank on Wennberg as my #1 unless/until something better than Duchene comes along. And I know I am in the minority...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I wonder what Sakic would do if Duchene pops a knee in a pre-season game?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I see your thoughts, but we will need to agree to disagree on Duchene's value to CBJ. He is a bit more productive than Wennberg in terms of his own goal scoring, but his assists only once in his career exceeded (by 1) Wennberg's assist total of 46 last season. How is it that Duchene is so much better at transition passing? I don't see it with the eyeball test or the statistics.

And while I know many like advanced stats metric like CORSI/Fenwick and others, and that +/- may be an indicator more about team play than individual play, +/- is still a metric for evaluating 5-on-5 play. Even in Duchene's 67 point year in 10-11, he was a -8. In 15-16, before the train wreck, he scored the exact same number of points as Wennberg did in 16-17, and was a -8. Wennberg's negative +/- for his first 2 seasons were on train wreck seasons for the CBJ. FWIW, Wennbergs CF% EV was 51.2 last season, 49.3 for 15-16; Duchene's was 49.1 for 16-17 and 45.4 for 15-16, only above 50% in 11-12 season.

Maybe my biggest hangup is that Duchene quit on the Avs and his teammates last year - at least I haven't read any claim to the contrary. After the fact, most excuse it because the Avs were so bad. But part of the reason the Avs were bad is because Duchene was bad.
On the flip-side, I didn't see Wennberg quit in the 14-15 or 15-16 seasons when the Jackets were awful and the seasons were over for all intents and purposes by Thanksgiving. Instead Wennberg (and others) battled...and got better for the long run as a result. You can argue that he was still playing for a spot - but he PLAYED nonetheless!

I would rather continue to push forward with Wennberg as our #1 when he is continuing to progress and just signed a 6 year deal at great AAV, and preserve assets for a better deal down the road than bring in Duchene. I just don't see Duchene as an improvement over Wennberg for more than half of a season as Wennberg continues to progress. Duchene to me has already peaked, is not a good fit for the CBJ room, is 4 years older than Wennberg, and who has only 2 years left and will be a UFA. Unless Duchenne would clearly be our #1C and a full cut above Wennberg (which I don't see), I would not spend any significant assets for him.

Duchene's career stats from Colorado Avalanche site:
Yr GP G A TP +/- FO%
09-10 81 24 31 55 1 44.03
10-11 80 27 40 67 -8 50.4
11-12 58 14 14 28 -11 51.15
12-13 47 17 26 43 -12 54.65
13-14 71 23 47 70 8 50.28
14-15 82 21 34 55 3 52.18
15-16 76 30 29 59 -8 57.92
16-17 77 18 23 41 -34 62.57

Career 572 174 244 418 -61 52.7

Wennberg's stats:

14-15 68 4 16 20 -19 42.73
15-16 69 8 32 40 -1 43.38
16-17 80 13 46 59 9 47.39

Career 217 25 94 119 -11 45.0

Could Duchenne get back to his 13-14 season - possibly.
Could Wennberg exceed Duchene's 13-14 season - possibly, 10 more goals and he's essentially there. I think he gets more than enough assists to get to 70 this year.

Maybe I'm just fatigued with the Duchene talk that I just want it over.
Maybe I am wrong in thinking that Dubi is still solid in the #2C spot for 2 more years once healthy.
Maybe Dubois is not going to be a solid #2 or even #3C in the next few years.

But from the get-go, I'd rather bank on Wennberg as my #1 unless/until something better than Duchene comes along. And I know I am in the minority...

It’s ok , we can definately have different opinions , Duchene scored 24 goals his first season , Wennberg has 25 goals in his career . Duchene also has a 30 goal and 27 goal season, and consistently in the 20s range nearly every season , so there’s a huge difference there . Also , his face
Off numbers have become elite the past few seasons . Which means late in a game , Panarin and Atkinson will have the puck on their stick , especially on face offs in our offensive zone. In my mind, you put Duchene on the jackets roster , and he’s a 70 point player consistently . So much of Hockey is having good line mates , and no doubt Wennberg benefited tremendously from having great line mates .

To me , the bigger issue on why it’s crucial that we get Duchene , it allows Wennberg to continue to grow into the center spot playing on line 2, and Dubinsky properly slotted as 3rd center . In no way do I want to go into this season depending on PLD , who’s played center on the juniors for a year and a half , to break into the nhl as our #3 center .

Also , Our power play will continue to struggle , with Wennberg rarely shooting the puck , and teams will
Continue to sag off him . Go back and watch our power play early in the season last year , and then watch from mid season on, how teams adapted to our power play , and especially how they defended Wennberg .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad