Player Discussion The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton (Part II)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Definitely some favoritism going on here. @bossram i agree with what your saying except the miles better than MDZ thing. Both those (Hutton and MDZ) players suffer from some of the same deficiencies in gap control and defensive reads and quite frankly MDZ has more to hang his hat on as an NHL defenseman.

It's definitely favoritism for Pouliot though he was weaker than Hutton in the pre season and is getting the benefit of the doubt right now based on history.

@MS Biega did nothing in the pre season to deserve to go in ahead of EG and TS....i have no doubt either of these guys will get ran around enough soon to deserve a change though. Hoping its not because Tanev is hurt again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Definitely some favoritism going on here. @bossram i agree with what your saying except the miles better than MDZ thing. Both those (Hutton and MDZ) players suffer from some of the same deficiencies in gap control and defensive reads and quite frankly MDZ has more to hang his hat on as an NHL defenseman.

It's definitely favoritism for Pouliot though he was weaker than Hutton in the pre season and is getting the benefit of the doubt right now based on history.

@MS Biega did nothing in the pre season to deserve to go in ahead of EG and TS....i have no doubt either of these guys will get ran around enough soon to deserve a change though. Hoping its not because Tanev is hurt again.

Biega outplayed Gudbranson over each of that last two seasons and is quite simply a better hockey player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm just a casual fan, but seriously can Hutton possibly be a lot worse than Del Zotto in any facet of the game? Yet somehow after being scratched consistently the year before in Philly, Del Zotto played all 82 games under Travis Green last season. Am I missing something?

Reactions: geebaan

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
watch when Benning decides to trade Hutton for a 5th round pick, the homers will cheer and celebrate at Benning's move, but when Hutton gets on a new team he will be a easy 15-20 point guy.

You have to question the way they treat the players sometimes, I was watching the Leafs game and that Russian D-man Ozhiganov got deked out by Chabot; however, Babcock who is a legendary coach didn't bench him, instead he put Ozhiganov back on the ice right after. This instills confidence into a player, I have to question the way Hutton is treated, when there are defencemen on this team who end up making poor plays, but are not benched.

If there was fair treatment it would make sense, but for a guy like Hutton a fresh start to prove the doubters wrong is the best choice, and for the Canucks a lesson should be learned after Hutton becomes a decent 15-20 point guy.

Reactions: geebaan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
After last night's disaster, he'd better be in for the next game. And so should Biega.

Sadly, based on icetime it'll be Stecher that comes out instead of Del Zotto or Gudbranson or Pouliot.
I missed a lot of last nights game, was MDZ really worse than Pouliot??? Thats bad if true. It would be nice to trade MdZ this year and i wonder how we can maximize his value if its even possible if hes playing that badly

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I thought Hutton looked good in the pre season....certianly good enough to crack our blue line. It's frustrating that pouliot is playing before him.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Its total favortisem..Dezotto looked awful last game should be scrathed...and Pouliot is an ex winter hawk pĺayer who TG loves...Every coach has a player they adore..Remember the love affair with Wille D and Linden Vey...Hutton deserves to be playing not having to kiss ass to play...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Gotta think Hutton gets into the lineup and someone like Pouliot is sat soon. I give it 1-2 more losses and Hutton gets in, but watch Biega be the one to get the call.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
He was asked to improve his conditioning.

When camp started last week, Hutton’s weight was down to 203 (from about 210), and his body fat percentage dropped below 10%.

Most intriguing Canucks, #2: Ben Hutton

I just dont get it...
It's called Willie Green or Travis Desjardins playing their pet junior guy...same shit different pile.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There isn't much of a trade market for $2.8M defensemen that are healthy scratches. I'm sure the team has tried to sell Ben Hutton all over town.

So give him a shot, shelter his minutes, and put him in a position to succeed to pump up his value for the trade deadline to get a 2nd/3rd rounder for him.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There isn't much of a trade market for $2.8M defensemen that are healthy scratches. I'm sure the team has tried to sell Ben Hutton all over town.

It's a byproduct of being extremely careless about contracts and not negotiating strongly enough. The comparables for Hutton were all in the $1.75M-2MM range and we completely overshot it and made his contract unappealing. Just like with Schaller, Gudbranson, Beagle, Gagner. There's almost 0 value for these guys at their existing price.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
watch when Benning decides to trade Hutton for a 5th round pick, the homers will cheer and celebrate at Benning's move, but when Hutton gets on a new team he will be a easy 15-20 point guy.

You have to question the way they treat the players sometimes, I was watching the Leafs game and that Russian D-man Ozhiganov got deked out by Chabot; however, Babcock who is a legendary coach didn't bench him, instead he put Ozhiganov back on the ice right after. This instills confidence into a player, I have to question the way Hutton is treated, when there are defencemen on this team who end up making poor plays, but are not benched.

If there was fair treatment it would make sense, but for a guy like Hutton a fresh start to prove the doubters wrong is the best choice, and for the Canucks a lesson should be learned after Hutton becomes a decent 15-20 point guy.

Mike Babcock's treatment of Corrado was legendary. His treatment of Leivo was great as well.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Biega outplayed Gudbranson over each of that last two seasons and is quite simply a better hockey player.
So wrong.

Why are you getting away this shit?
you even watch Biega this preseason? Complete gong show.
Sure his little legs move really fast.. but man...

Garbage take.. bad player..
Open your eyes.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So wrong.

Why are you getting away this ****?

Open your eyes.

MS loves Gaunce and Biega / severely overrate them.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
So wrong.

Open your eyes.

Not that Biega was anything special or more than a #6-7 filler but so was Gudbranson at best in his whole time as a Canuck.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
So wrong.

Open your eyes.
Both players are crap at least Biega is paid at a reasonable level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad