Player Discussion The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton (Part II)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Continue...

Welcome to Vancouver, Ben!

canuckscamp_216932756e1426537201778.jpg

Size: 6'2, 183lbs

Committed to University of Maine

Previous threads

Last edited by a moderator:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Kid doesn't look out of place at all and is one of our better dmen night in and night out

Most pleasant surprise of 2015 IMO :handclap:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The team is damn lucky he came out of nowhere. I shudder to think what the blueline would be without him....

He is the teams 4th highest point getter. He leads the blueline in points. Yes all assists but he's making key plays and those assists are well deserved. Would love to see him get some PP time on the first unit with Weber at the other point. With Hutton's ability to move around the top half of the zone I think many lanes would open up for the Sedins to exploit.

Though, given he is essentially coming straight from college a second half wall should not be unexpected.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Take Edler off the first PP unit, because he's been an absolute nightmare.

Put Hutton there.

Norris and Calder, here we come

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm at the point that when things are scrambly and Hutton is on the ice, I'm like "give it to Hutton already for **** sakes!" no matter who else is on the ice. Unbelievable how good this kid is playing.

Do think he's looked best with Sbisa though. Benning needs to prioritize finding Hutton a long-term partner. Maybe one of the big Russians next year?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I'm at the point that when things are scrambly and Hutton is on the ice, I'm like "give it to Hutton already for **** sakes!" no matter who else is on the ice. Unbelievable how good this kid is playing.

Do think he's looked best with Sbisa though. Benning needs to prioritize finding Hutton a long-term partner. Maybe one of the big Russians next year?

Hutton and pedan,

Can tryamkin come to the ahl?

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Is there any Dman in the league that plays like Hutton? Serious question. The way he dangles out of danger with such poise is unbelievable. I bet he'd be a 60 pt forward with those dangles. Love it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And you have to keep in mind that this guy is only 16 games into his NHL career....he's becoming the hockey equivalent of Roy Hobbs....where did this guy come from, and how do we find any more like him?...'Nucks have never drafted a true impact d-man....Edler looked like he might be the real deal, but has morphed into what he is.....I keep remembering that the Wings drafted Nick Lidstrom in the third round, so who knows?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And you have to keep in mind that this guy is only 16 games into his NHL career....he's becoming the hockey equivalent of Roy Hobbs....where did this guy come from, and how do we find any more like him?...'Nucks have never drafted a true impact d-man....Edler looked like he might be the real deal, but has morphed into what he is.....I keep remembering that the Wings drafted Nick Lidstrom in the third round, so who knows?

Ben Hutton was truly a top-notch prospect over the past two years in the NCAA, it's just that none of us really heard anything about it. Watching his highlite videos he looks phenomenal at that level.

And yes, get him on the first unit power play. This kid can extend the Sedins careers, he is that good.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Edler's transformation is mind-boggling. When he was first on the team, his greatest strength was the ability to make the right (and defensively simple) offensive/defensive play every time, much like Hutton. Now his physical game has improved into a weapon that we never thought he'd have, but he's completely lost his playmaking/shot selection ability.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nobody expected Hutton to have this ridiculously fast adjustment period, but people are wrong to say that he came out of nowhere.

Even when he was playing college hockey, many of the guys that were paying attention already believed that he was our only defensive prospect who had top-end #1 D upside. (if I recall correctly) Whether or not he'd ever develop properly given his focus on education, was the biggest question-mark). We all knew that the skill was there.

Similarly, most people who watched AHL games knew that Kenins looked like he was going to be an NHLer pretty soon.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can recall some posters expressing concerns about Hutton at Maine, particularly when his numbers tailed off last year, compared to the year previous when he made the all-East all-star team.....and some of the early reviews from Utica posters were lukewarm at best, saying his 'defensive work' needed lots of polishing.....and even at the beginning of training camp, many posters were saying he'd be sent to Utica for sure because he didn't have to clear waivers and Corrado did...I can recall even the cheerleaders on the House Radio Station saying there's no way he'd start the year in Vancouver...so in that sense, he has literally come out nowhere imo.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Drew doughty
Remember on HFBoards, if you ever make a stylistic comparison to another player (or an analogy, juxtaposition, a fortiori statement, career arc speculation, etc.) you are immediately assumed to be saying that the two players are of identical skill level unless disclaimed with sixty paragraphs of humility and ancestor-worship.

So in that vein OMG YU ARE SAYING HUTTAN IZ BETTER THAN DROO DOUBTIE I DON'T EVEN

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Remember on HFBoards, if you ever make a stylistic comparison to another player (or an analogy, juxtaposition, a fortiori statement, career arc speculation, etc.) you are immediately assumed to be saying that the two players are of identical skill level unless disclaimed with sixty paragraphs of humility and ancestor-worship.

So in that vein OMG YU ARE SAYING HUTTAN IZ BETTER THAN DROO DOUBTIE I DON'T EVEN
Bahahhaha....nice work.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Is there any Dman in the league that plays like Hutton? Serious question. The way he dangles out of danger with such poise is unbelievable. I bet he'd be a 60 pt forward with those dangles. Love it.

Yeah Doughty, Keith too.

Oh, and Shane O'Brien used to try to do this all the time as well ;)

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Anyine know of his current weight? Just curious, he can still get stronger but he's definitely not weak out there. Has to be 200+.

Anyway, it's safe to say that he's a legit top 4 PMD and the discussions about sending him down due to waiver status were probably not the best decision for either him or the team considering how good he's been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad