Player Discussion The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton (Part II)

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I still don't quite understand this conditioning thing. Up to Dec Hutton had the 2nd most mins out of all the D behind MDZ. He was playing big minutes. Then all of sudden out of no where he he had conditioning problems. If Hutton had conditioning problems why did Green play him so much? Or did Hutton get tired because all the ice time Green was Giving him. Sure the player needs to take most of the ownership but Green need to take ownership as well but giving him all those big mins that he wasn't ready for.

In my opinion out of Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot. I think Hutton has the most upside. I don't really want to see him traded.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I still don't quite understand this conditioning thing. Up to Dec Hutton had the 2nd most mins out of all the D behind MDZ. He was playing big minutes. Then all of sudden out of no where he he had conditioning problems. If Hutton had conditioning problems why did Green play him so much? Or did Hutton get tired because all the ice time Green was Giving him. Sure the player needs to take most of the ownership but Green need to take ownership as well but giving him all those big mins that he wasn't ready for.

In my opinion out of Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot. I think Hutton has the most upside. I don't really want to see him traded.
I think Hutton has top four upside too. I think Green said stuff about Ben being committed off the ice. Maybe it was diet, and proper off ice habits that hurt Ben’s ability to keep up with the minutes?

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Also, this team has a disturbing tendency to try to paint players the coach doesn't like with the "out of shape" brush. The last player it actually made sense for was SOB. Ok, and maybe Boucher but he was a mid season acquisition.

Hutton, and Tryamkin, and others were mysteriously playing big minutes just before or after that criticism was levelled on them.
Tryamkin was out of shape. Wake up

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

This actually goes back to Hutton's first season of pro hockey when he left the University of Maine, signed a contract with the Canucks and ended up in Utica at the end of the season....then promptly got sent home by Green and the Comets, with hints he wasn't in shape. So when Green was named head coach last spring, you'd think the guy would come in determined to prove that this 'conditioning issue' was just a one-season thing in his rookie year.

Unfortunately that's not the way it played out. So he's not just in Green's "dog-house' he's in the full "dog-pound", with a big hole to climb out of. He'll have to be at least 30-40 percent better next season to save his roster spot imo.

Feb 24, 2017
By what metric are you arguing Hutton outplayed Pouliot? Travis Green certainly didn't agree.
If you can appeal to the authority of Travis Green’s position as nhl coach, I can point out that he only has won 38% of his games. Clearly he sucks at winning and we can question his player usage, yeah?

Reactions: geebaan

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This actually goes back to Hutton's first season of pro hockey when he left the University of Maine, signed a contract with the Canucks and ended up in Utica at the end of the season....then promptly got sent home by Green and the Comets, with hints he wasn't in shape. So when Green was named head coach last spring, you'd think the guy would come in determined to prove that this 'conditioning issue' was just a one-season thing in his rookie year.

Unfortunately that's not the way it played out. So he's not just in Green's "dog-house' he's in the full "dog-pound", with a big hole to climb out of. He'll have to be at least 30-40 percent better next season to save his roster spot imo.

All he needs to do is what 99% of NHLers do, which is what Green is most likely telling him to do, and show up in NHL shape. If he does that I think his slate will be clean going into the season.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I think Hutton has top four upside too. I think Green said stuff about Ben being committed off the ice. Maybe it was diet, and proper off ice habits that hurt Ben’s ability to keep up with the minutes?
Probably all of the above, and read an interesting comment about Juolevi from Salo, in which Salo told him (I posted an article with the quote), that " you have to watch your body languge" as it can make you look like you're not caring /trying when i actuality you are. I

t was an interesting concept I've never thought about for a pro -athlete. Salo wasn't suggesting that Juolevi wasn't trying but how he "looks" can make it seem as such on the ice.

Why I bring this up, is much like Eddie Lack, Hutton is a 'happy go lucky guy". Perhaps his personality comes across as 'too loose' and not enough 'captain serious" for a Coach like Green. In his exit interview it was the first time I actually saw the kid very focused on this answers and 'mature' vs coming across as a goofy kid.

I know it sounds like a cop out for his play, but I didn't think for a young guy he was that bad last year. The whole defensive core had challenges with injuries, made guys play above their pay grade, and Pouliott certainly looked to make more mistakes in his own end to me. Granted he got more points and Hutton was awful in that regard this year, but again, perhaps he just has to come in with a more 'mature' approach next year vs mr goofy and it could go a long way.

Reactions: Luckylarry

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hutton's interview was interesting..

Coaches: you need to improve your conditioning

Hutton: I don't agree. But I will definitely improve my conditioning and be at the top of testing ranks in the fall.

Coaches: (well yeah, that's what we wanted)

Well.. if It was the coaches treatment of him this season that will propel him to top tier conditioning levels... so be it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Hutton this fall. If he acheives his physical and testing goals, i expect him to be brimming with confidence ON the ice as games start up.

He has the size, the mobility... and will have gained a step to keep up defensively (if training goes well).

He's gotta fend off Juolevi and DelZotto for a spot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

There's a lot of in season maintenance you have to do. Players workout after the game. Those who play less minutes need to work the stationary bike harder/longer. If you're playing 25+ minutes you probably don't need much stationary bike time. If you play 8 minutes you need to put in more time/effort. In other words, if you're not playing, you have to work harder off the ice.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
More data that points to Hutton being better last year then Greens treatment would suggest.

(from the athletic)
Screenshot_20180814_090136.jpg

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Hutton deserves to draw into the lineup the way the rest of the D has played.

Michael Del Zotto has been atrocious so far, just as he was throughout the pre-season.

For Green to keep sitting him in favour of MDZ/Pouliot is just infuriating.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Michael Del Zotto has been atrocious so far, just as he was throughout the pre-season.

Agreed.

I am quickly losing patience with Travis and his personnel decisions.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Hutton Deserves a chance over many of the defenseman that played tonight

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree. Green's love affair with Del Zotto is troubling to infuriating. I think Pouliot has played well and is a much better partner for Gudbranson than Del Zotto. With Pouliot's ability/usage on the right side, Hutton should replace Del Zotto.

Del Zotto isn't/shouldn't be a Canuck next season. With Edler's contract expiring and Hughes and Juolevi in the system, they should see where Hutton is at since he's primarily a LD.

Reactions: Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I agree. Green's love affair with Del Zotto is troubling to infuriating. I think Pouliot has played well and is a much better partner for Gudbranson than Del Zotto. With Pouliot's ability/usage on the right side, Hutton should replace Del Zotto.

Del Zotto isn't/shouldn't be a Canuck next season. With Edler's contract expiring and Hughes and Juolevi in the system, they should see where Hutton is at since he's primarily a LD.

I agree with you but one thing Del Zotto contributes that Hutton isn't capable of is the physical component. It's a scary thought having only Gudbranson with an edge on defense. That being said, I'd draw Hutton in against Florida for sure.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
After last night's disaster, he'd better be in for the next game. And so should Biega.

Sadly, based on icetime it'll be Stecher that comes out instead of Del Zotto or Gudbranson or Pouliot.

Reactions: BassMason

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The D really struggled to breakout with control in both games vs Calgary - so many give aways in their own zone. It's at least a good excuse to put Hutton in. Green likes his LH - RH pairings, so it will probably be Pouliot who comes out.

To be honest though, the defensive play of the top line has been brutal. I know +/- is not a very precise metric, but Horvat is -5, Boeser is -4 and Baertschi is -3 after only 2 games. Certainly matchups, ice time and 2 empty net goals against are factors, and it doesn't help that they didn't score, but they looked terrible in possession.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Probably all of the above, and read an interesting comment about Juolevi from Salo, in which Salo told him (I posted an article with the quote), that " you have to watch your body languge" as it can make you look like you're not caring /trying when i actuality you are. I

t was an interesting concept I've never thought about for a pro -athlete. Salo wasn't suggesting that Juolevi wasn't trying but how he "looks" can make it seem as such on the ice.

Why I bring this up, is much like Eddie Lack, Hutton is a 'happy go lucky guy". Perhaps his personality comes across as 'too loose' and not enough 'captain serious" for a Coach like Green. In his exit interview it was the first time I actually saw the kid very focused on this answers and 'mature' vs coming across as a goofy kid.

I know it sounds like a cop out for his play, but I didn't think for a young guy he was that bad last year. The whole defensive core had challenges with injuries, made guys play above their pay grade, and Pouliott certainly looked to make more mistakes in his own end to me. Granted he got more points and Hutton was awful in that regard this year, but again, perhaps he just has to come in with a more 'mature' approach next year vs mr goofy and it could go a long way.

Honestly, I think this is the real issue. Green just doesn't like his personality. He's a goofy guy in a "serious" league. Sure, there might have been a conditioning issue. But you have to put the best team on the ice. Green isn't doing that. Hutton played very well in big minutes with Tanev in the preseason and then just immediately gets benched.

There is no on-ice justification for Hutton not being in the lineup. He's miles better than MDZ. Any defensive metric you look at it would suggest he's better than Pouliot too. Those are his primary LHD competition. Honestly, Green doesn't like him. If the coach doesn't like you, there's not much you can do.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, I think this is the real issue. Green just doesn't like his personality. He's a goofy guy in a "serious" league. Sure, there might have been a conditioning issue. But you have to put the best team on the ice. Green isn't doing that. Hutton played very well in big minutes with Tanev in the preseason and then just immediately gets benched.

There is no on-ice justification for Hutton not being in the lineup. He's miles better than MDZ. Any defensive metric you look at it would suggest he's better than Pouliot too. Those are his primary LHD competition. Honestly, Green doesn't like him. If the coach doesn't like you, there's not much you can do.

The crazy thing is that he put him on the top pairing and played him 25 minutes/game in the preseason.

Meanwhile Pouliot got his usual 14 minutes with 70% o-zone starts in the preseason and nobody would dream of playing him more ... and then the regular season hits and coach's pet Pouliot is still a roster automatic for his easy 14 minutes and Hutton is in the press box.

The favouritism toward ex-Winterhawks is just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad