nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
TDL winners:
Windsor, Ottawa, Mississauga, Peterborough, Sarnia

Losers: London, Barrie, Flint

Meh: Kingston, Niagara, Oshawa, SSM, Guelph, Kitchener
Define 'winners' and 'losers'?
As I say every friggin' year...If the objective is to win this year (for the buyers) and in the next few years (for sellers), how does it make sense to declare winners or losers rignt now...at least wait until May to declare a 'winner'.
Do you mean the teams that have improved by means of trades? If so, that wouldn't be my definition of 'winner'?

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
As I say every friggin' year...If the objective is to win this year (for the buyers) and in the next few years (for sellers), how does it make sense to declare winners or losers rignt now...at least wait until May to declare a 'winner'.
Do you mean the teams that have improved by means of trades? If so, that wouldn't be my definition of 'winner'?
To throw a wrench into this argument, just because trades were done doesn't mean a team has instantly improved. Yes big names bring big talent but that doesn't always translate to winning more games. I recall the one year London made a bunch of trades for big names but got knocked out in the 2nd round by Windsor (quote me if I'm wrong) because the new guys just didn't seem to be gelling all that well with the team despite their big name presence. Waiting to see how teams play on from here will determine who truly benefited from the trades they made

Reactions: nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
To throw a wrench into this argument, just because trades were done doesn't mean a team has instantly improved. Yes big names bring big talent but that doesn't always translate to winning more games. I recall the one year London made a bunch of trades for big names but got knocked out in the 2nd round by Windsor (quote me if I'm wrong) because the new guys just didn't seem to be gelling all that well with the team despite their big name presence. Waiting to see how teams play on from here will determine who truly benefited from the trades they made
Good point... And it goes back to my original point which is... It makes no sense to ask who are the winners and losers of trades right now... That will be decided in April, May or even in the next few years (for sellers). Why do teams make those big, costly trades? To win... So, it's to be determined.

Reactions: LDN

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good point... And it goes back to my original point which is... It makes no sense to ask who are the winners and losers of trades right now... That will be decided in April, May or even in the next few years (for sellers). Why do teams make those big, costly trades? To win... So, it's to be determined.

Good points.

To me, the winner of the deadline from a buyer perspective needs to answer the following two questions:

1> Does it help you win right now?
2> Does it hurt your team going forward and to what degree?

You don’t need to win a Championship to have a good deadline. If you are a team that would struggle to get out of the first round and now have a team that is likley to make the third round and it didn’t cost very much, then that is a huge win IMO.

Conversely, if you are a team that is projected to make your Conference Finals and then traded every last asset you have (ex Peterborough) and on paper compared to your competition you haven’t significantly improved your odds, then I think it is a really bad deadline Even if you significantly improved your team.

Another example is Saginaw. They traded Mintyukov but still look like a team that will have a good chance of getting to Round Two. So the team sells its best player but still could have some form of playoff success. Oshawa did this a few years ago. They made out like bandits. Shuffled the lineup a bit and got younger and still won int he playoffs. Was maybe one of the coolest results we’ve ever seen.

Success comes in Different forms Depending on what the team goal is and the cost it took to get there.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Question?

Should an OA get injured and is out for the rest of the season, would they be able to release him and sign another OA not in the OHL if:
1) they have an available card and
2) it is before the February roster deadline.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I have never been a big fan of these big buy and sell at the deadlines but have come to accept them as regular business in the OHL. I have to say that this one was epic! I"ve been an OHL fan since @ 1990 and I dont recall any deadline quite like this one

Reactions: ohloutsider

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have never been a big fan of these big buy and sell at the deadlines but have come to accept them as regular business in the OHL. I have to say that this one was epic! I"ve been an OHL fan since @ 1990 and I dont recall any deadline quite like this one

Agreed. It wans’t about he volume of teams buying, it was the sheer elite nature of the individual players being bought and the sheer elite nature of some of the prospects changing hands. I can’t remember ever seeing the #5 and #6 pick moving at the deadline when both were such huge prospects. And then consider the number of 1st rounders from 2020 and 2021 that changed hands as well! Crazy.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
London got knocked out by a Windsor team that went on to win their first of two straight Memorial Cups. The reason London lost was subpar goaltending.

Reactions: rve24

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’m not sure what the deadline is for singing a player. I’m not sure how the Imports work but as far as I am aware, you don’t need to card him. He should be on your reserve list. You can sign players from your reserve list.
You still need an available card to roster him. Deadline is around mid February.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You still need an available card to roster him. Deadline is around mid February.
Yes. An available card is required but how I am saying it is you don’t need to give the card until you sign the player. But, that works for any player coming in leading up to the signing deadline.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
TDL winners:
Windsor, Ottawa, Mississauga, Peterborough, Sarnia

Losers: London, Barrie, Flint

Meh: Kingston, Niagara, Oshawa, SSM, Guelph, Kitchener
Have to agree with Barrie and London being losers. No idea what Barrie is doing. 2nd straight year they have fumbled the deadline. Especially this year getting Clarke back...

London I thought would get a big fish or two and stood pat to my surprise. My thinking is they think their window is next year and will be all in then. Especially after seeing what Sarnia and Windsor did.

Post deadline thought: If I gave you Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa or the field, who would you take as the OHL champion this year? I'd take Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
London is a a wild card after the deadline IMO. They went out and got Winterton/Humphrey but was it enough? This year for they had to make a choice on which core to build around, either the core of Brochu/Diaco/McGurn or the core of Barkey/Bonk/Cowan/Dickinson. They must trust they can build around the latter better. This felt like a passive deadline from the Knights which is rare

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
London is a a wild card after the deadline IMO. They went out and got Winterton/Humphrey but was it enough? This year for they had to make a choice on which core to build around, either the core of Brochu/Diaco/McGurn or the core of Barkey/Bonk/Cowan/Dickinson. They must trust they can build around the latter better. This felt like a passive deadline from the Knights which is rare

Their core went 17-2 in their last 19. They added two Champions that contributed to their win last year in a big way.

They didn’t need to overhaul their team.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Their core went 17-2 in their last 19. They added two Champions that contributed to their win last year in a big way.

They didn’t need to overhaul their team.
Not saying they needed to overhaul their team. Just feels like they could end up looking back on the deadline if they lose in the playoffs and go man you know who would have really helped us, someone like Shane Wright. It's very risky to only make one big move when others teams around you are making three or four big moves. This is a deadline where they could end up looking very smart or very dumb

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
London got knocked out by a Windsor team that went on to win their first of two straight Memorial Cups. The reason London lost was subpar goaltending.
The reason London lost was because Windsor was better. London had a 2nd round NHL pick in net and Windsor had a total scrub. The goaltending wasn't why London lost, it was simply their excuse for it. The Knights were thoroughly out coached that series as well. Boughner was drawing up masterpieces on a white board while Hunter chewed ice and stared off into space.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Have to agree with Barrie and London being losers. No idea what Barrie is doing. 2nd straight year they have fumbled the deadline. Especially this year getting Clarke back...

London I thought would get a big fish or two and stood pat to my surprise. My thinking is they think their window is next year and will be all in then. Especially after seeing what Sarnia and Windsor did.

Post deadline thought: If I gave you Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa or the field, who would you take as the OHL champion this year? I'd take Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa

Let me trade PTBO for SAR and I'll take the 3 teams.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not saying they needed to overhaul their team. Just feels like they could end up looking back on the deadline if they lose in the playoffs and go man you know who would have really helped us, someone like Shane Wright. It's very risky to only make one big move when others teams around you are making three or four big moves. This is a deadline where they could end up looking very smart or very dumb

When your team is built for success next year, roll with it. They have the defence and goaltending to beat the other teams in the West. They acquired a lot in the aggregate.

Over the course of the season they acquired:
Dickinson
DelMonte
Diaco
Leonard
Humphrey
Winterton

All of those players are making contributions or are projected to.

Some teams like Ottawa need a couple elite players because that is what they were lacking. A team like London found success in the aggregate. Not all teams need the same things. When you have strong defence and goaltending combined with above average scoring, you tend to win a lot.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
When your team is built for success next year, roll with it. They have the defence and goaltending to beat the other teams in the West. They acquired a lot in the aggregate.

Over the course of the season they acquired:
Dickinson
DelMonte
Diaco
Leonard
Humphrey
Winterton

All of those players are making contributions or are projected to.

Some teams like Ottawa need a couple elite players because that is what they were lacking. A team like London found success in the aggregate. Not all teams need the same things. When you have strong defence and goaltending combined with above average scoring, you tend to win a lot.
Exactly, they have a guaranteed win now window this year. That's not guaranteed next year or the year after that. Brochu is the best goalie in the league and without him next season their goaltending very likely will take a step back. Diaco and McGurn are top two scorers on their team and won't be there next season. Their top scoring d-man Logan Mailloux likely won't be back next year and their big acquisition Ryan Winterton likely won't be back either. That's five really big pieces of your team that will likely be gone next year. You're hoping that a lot of guys step up. I get it, it's London and that's expected of their young players but that doesn't always work. They're taking a risk by only making one big move. It may work or it may not. We'll see at end of the season

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Exactly, they have a guaranteed win now window this year. That's not guaranteed next year or the year after that. Brochu is the best goalie in the league and without him next season their goaltending very likely will take a step back. Diaco and McGurn are top two scorers on their team and won't be there next season. Their top scoring d-man Logan Mailloux likely won't be back next year and their big acquisition Ryan Winterton likely won't be back either. That's five really big pieces of your team that will likely be gone next year. You're hoping that a lot of guys step up. I get it, it's London and that's expected of their young players but that doesn't always work. They're taking a risk by only making one big move. It may work or it may not. We'll see at end of the season
London's been known to gamble alot whether it be at trade deadline or in the middle of a game. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it really bites them in the @$$

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

I think asset management is the only way to determine. Fans like the big splash and excitement, but that's not always smart asset management. I'm relieved the deadline has passed so we can all move on and watch/comment on hockey and not business.

Reactions: LDN and nelli27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad