The "countdown" to trade deadline discussion

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Can Adam Fantily still sign with the North Bay Battalion?
I would think so...players can get returned to teams and I think teams can sign prospects for a little while yet at least. A few years ago Bode Wilde was returned to the Spirit in mid-February which was a huge boost but of course we all know what happened to that season...ugh.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can Adam Fantily still sign with the North Bay Battalion?

Assuming he is on their reserve list and he signs before the deadline sometime in late February (not sure if the exact date), yes.

It makes zero sense for him to do so. He loses a lot of leverage on where he is eligible to play next season if he did.

I think asset management is the only way to determine. Fans like the big splash and excitement, but that's not always smart asset management. I'm relieved the deadline has passed so we can all move on and watch/comment on hockey and not business.
100!

Any team can trade virtually all youth and picks and win a Championship if the timing is right. But the cost to do so needs to be a factor. Going into the following season with an empty dressing room isn’t ideal.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Have to agree with Barrie and London being losers. No idea what Barrie is doing. 2nd straight year they have fumbled the deadline. Especially this year getting Clarke back...

London I thought would get a big fish or two and stood pat to my surprise. My thinking is they think their window is next year and will be all in then. Especially after seeing what Sarnia and Windsor did.

Post deadline thought: If I gave you Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa or the field, who would you take as the OHL champion this year? I'd take Windsor, Sarnia and Ottawa
I’ll take the field.
There are some very good teams among the 13, among them my top two picks to get out of the east. Barrie, London, Kitchener may not be a favourite; but they can eliminate one.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Don't forget yes it appears London was cautious at the deadline. But Mark Hunter has aquired several contributors along the way. Not to mention we paid up bigtime early in the season to bring the non report from Niagara, Dickson. So far he has been pretty much as expected (great performance and potential) BUT it cost us heavily. However normally picking late in the 1st round if we wanted a high end talent we have to payup. I'm OK with our trade deadline. Look at it this way 3 teams in the West blew there brains out (Windsor, Sarnia, and Kitchener). Only 1 will POSSIBLY play in the OHL final? And after that comes next season ...... an OHL host season where 2 teams will make it?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Don't forget yes it appears London was cautious at the deadline. But Mark Hunter has aquired several contributors along the way. Not to mention we paid up bigtime early in the season to bring the non report from Niagara, Dickson. So far he has been pretty much as expected (great performance and potential) BUT it cost us heavily. However normally picking late in the 1st round if we wanted a high end talent we have to payup. I'm OK with our trade deadline. Look at it this way 3 teams in the West blew there brains out (Windsor, Sarnia, and Kitchener). Only 1 will POSSIBLY play in the OHL final? And after that comes next season ...... an OHL host season where 2 teams will make it?
You got two reigning Champs that were high contributors to that team. If people shit on that then so be it. The only risk is Winterton returning to the injury list. If he doesn’t return to the injury list, London will be more than fine. Love the back end of that team. It will give the team a chance to win every night.

Reactions: LDN

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What do you think was the best trade made this season? Doesn't have to be a deadline trade
I think quite highly of Miedema, but I thought WSR had the best trade with Wright. With how crazy the picks were flying & Marek's reported asking price of 3 2nds, 3 3rds + 05 or 06 I thought they made out like bandits.

under the radar one for me was Oshawa getting D'Amato. NB's deal for Bloom, Hislop was early & has worked out fantastic for them. As much as we've all trolled NIA (we had every right lol) I actually love the returns they got for Zito, Dann & Fimis. Unfortunate they'll probably just use all those picks in the summer to do what they did just last summer.

Also, Windsor's trade for Costanzo completely flew under the radar & he's become their clear cut #1 on a team going all-in & he's only 17. There has to be teams kicking themselves for not doing that trade.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Im a homer for sure but Haight sure seems to be working out in Saginaw and will be back next season. Compared to the price rentals went for, it was a savvy pickup for Saginaw
He got out of the gates well 19pts in 9 games, last 4 games he is back to his Barrie self with only one assist. Be interesting to see what the impact of losing Mintyukov is across the board in Saginaw. That is a lot of puck possession and distribution they will be trying to find from other players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I never like to see teams give up first rounders in their first season but Testa was a #15, Winterton may have been the most skilled player available, and Humphrey will return next year.

I’m kind of leaning toward the Mintyukov deal. Saginaw gets a big haul of picks to help them out next year with a potential Memorial Cup host load up. Ottawa only uses picks that are replaceable next year. Not having to part with a crazy good player compared to a lot of the other elite player trades was definitely advantageous to Ottawa as well.

In the category of “helps both teams,” I think that one might have been the best balanced deal.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I’m kind of leaning toward the Mintyukov deal. Saginaw gets a big haul of picks to help them out next year with a potential Memorial Cup host load up. Ottawa only uses picks that are replaceable next year. Not having to part with a crazy good player compared to a lot of the other elite player trades was definitely advantageous to Ottawa as well.

In the category of “helps both teams,” I think that one might have been the best balanced deal.
Good point, don't think there were any mistakes made with either deal. A Championship this year for Ottawa and Saginaw next year would put a cherry on this deal. I'll never route for London to win another title... LOL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good point, don't think there were any mistakes made with either deal. A Championship this year for Ottawa and Saginaw next year would put a cherry on this deal. I'll never route for London to win another title... LOL

It is super hard to evaluate deals and suggest which ones were the best.

Some would say whoever got the best player wins but I don’t agree with that at all, especially at the Junior level.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is super hard to evaluate deals and suggest which ones were the best.

Some would say whoever got the best player wins but I don’t agree with that at all, especially at the Junior level.
At the major jr level teams can go from needing to re-tool to top contender in 2-3 seasons so selling teams can sometimes be thought of as the big winner. Missassauga was a winner even though they parted with big time players.
The trades that Oke made to shape the Petes roster in the past calendar year, and the four huge moves that the Sting made are as good and exciting as any I can remember.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At the major jr level teams can go from needing to re-tool to top contender in 2-3 seasons so selling teams can sometimes be thought of as the big winner. Missassauga was a winner even though they parted with big time players.
The trades that Oke made to shape the Petes roster in the past calendar year, and the four huge moves that the Sting made are as good and exciting as any I can remember.

Normally I would agree but Peterborough went beyond what would usually be considered normal. Their team is depleted of returning talent. They do have bodies that return but it will be thin.

They’ll be able to use Beck, Lockahart and Mayer as trade pieces as well as maybe Simpson. If they flipped those guys only for picks and restocked and drafted extra bodies etc, the possibility exists they could translate that into a 4 year rebuild if they draft really well. A lot has to fall into place perfectly for them to hit that window. Are they a franchise capable or that? That’s the big question.

Sarnia is in a similar situation.

Ottawa, London and Windsor seem to be in a more enviable position next season to craft a rebuild while remaining as middling playoff teams or better.

I'm biased but the Petes getting Othmann from Flint for Guryev and picks was a steal. Now if the Petes can win more WITH Othmann in the lineup....

Is it possible that Guryev’s loss and presence is adversely affecting the Petes?

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Is it possible that Guryev’s loss and presence is adversely affecting the Petes?
No. Guryev had a role in terms of his physical play but he consistently got penalties and suspensions. He has always has some hockey skills but rarely built on them imo. The Petes have won a lot without Guryev but coincidentally it has mostly been when Othmann was at WJC. The Petes losing record with Othmann in the lineup imo has more to do with the team needing some time to reset the forward lines and gel. Last night's Petes loss to Sarnia notwithstanding, the Othmann-Beck-Hayes line looked good and it will produce (I hope).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Normally I would agree but Peterborough went beyond what would usually be considered normal. Their team is depleted of returning talent. They do have bodies that return but it will be thin.
This really has nothing to do with either best or favourite trades. I can say 5-2nds, 5-3rds, 5-4ths is an obscene price to pay for an OA and import which are the two most difficult roster pieces to obtain value for at the trade deadline. But the trades work for the ‘67s, so I will not dwell on the potential negatives.
Beyond normal additions to one team trying to win now is what makes the trades made by the Petes and Sting awesome imo. Those two teams made the most of their opportunity.
They’ll be able to use Beck, Lockahart and Mayer as trade pieces as well as maybe Simpson. If they flipped those guys only for picks and restocked and drafted extra bodies etc, the possibility exists they could translate that into a 4 year rebuild if they draft really well. A lot has to fall into place perfectly for them to hit that window. Are they a franchise capable or that? That’s the big question.

Sarnia is in a similar situation.

Ottawa, London and Windsor seem to be in a more enviable position next season to craft a rebuild while remaining as middling playoff teams or better.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This really has nothing to do with either best or favourite trades. I can say 5-2nds, 5-3rds, 5-4ths is an obscene price to pay for an OA and import which are the two most difficult roster pieces to obtain value for at the trade deadline. But the trades work for the ‘67s, so I will not dwell on the potential negatives.
Beyond normal additions to one team trying to win now is what makes the trades made by the Petes and Sting awesome imo. Those two teams made the most of their opportunity.

The point is, you are suggesting that what the Petes did is normalized by the average rebuild time frame. I don’t think the average reflects what they did. They went beyond the average buyer level. It is what it is but I was just trying to make that point. Depleting the team of almost all strategic picks plus removing your last two firsts as well as some other players is excessive compared to the average. The expectations for rebuild need to reflect that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The point is, you are suggesting that what the Petes did is normalized by the average rebuild time frame. I don’t think the average reflects what they did. They went beyond the average buyer level. It is what it is but I was just trying to make that point. Depleting the team of almost all strategic picks plus removing your last two firsts as well as some other players is excessive compared to the average. The expectations for rebuild need to reflect that.
I merely stated the Petes & Sting made some of my favourite trades and maybe some of the best trades. I’m quite sure that I did not suggest anything related to normalized rebuilding. Honestly, at this time I don’t care much about how the buyers will re-tool. I’m interested in seeing how the buyers do with their additions.
On that topic though, the number of high end players moved this year was not normal. The 15(2, 3, 4) picks used for an OA & import is not normal; and, the ‘67s will not recoup those picks selling an OA and import next year. The Beck trade is not nearly normal. It could turn out to be Konecny 2.0, or a nearly free rental, and/or the piece the Petes needed to put them over the top.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I merely stated the Petes & Sting made some of my favourite trades and maybe some of the best trades. I’m quite sure that I did not suggest anything related to normalized rebuilding. Honestly, at this time I don’t care much about how the buyers will re-tool. I’m interested in seeing how the buyers do with their additions.
On that topic though, the number of high end players moved this year was not normal. The 15(2, 3, 4) picks used for an OA & import is not normal; and, the ‘67s will not recoup those picks selling an OA and import next year. The Beck trade is not nearly normal. It could turn out to be Konecny 2.0, or a nearly free rental, and/or the piece the Petes needed to put them over the top.

This deadline was nowhere near normal. A lot of it has to do with what you are saying, too many high end players changing teams.

Reactions: dirty12

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
He got out of the gates well 19pts in 9 games, last 4 games he is back to his Barrie self with only one assist. Be interesting to see what the impact of losing Mintyukov is across the board in Saginaw. That is a lot of puck possession and distribution they will be trying to find from other players.

6 pts in 10 periods since Mintyukov was traded. Id say hes doing fine so far.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
The team has no chance to win a playoff series now though. All-in for the future. Shouldve traded Lennox too. Oke should get every start the rest of the way as it doesnt make sense to sit your future starter for an OA goalie when you wont win this year

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The team is 0-4 with losses to Kitchener and now the Soo - that would be the across the board I was referring to. This team will be a contender next season, this season is just an adjustment and development period for the returning group. Good to see Haight production return, the comment wasn't meant to be a tear down of the player just recognize that the production had dipped.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The team is 0-4 with losses to Kitchener and now the Soo - that would be the across the board I was referring to. This team will be a contender next season, this season is just an adjustment and development period for the returning group. Good to see Haight production return, the comment wasn't meant to be a tear down of the player just recognize that the production had dipped.

I really like what Saginaw has done. They kept a lot of the team intact and will have a half season to discover where their holes are. They didn’t gut the team. A couple really shrewd moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad