The "countdown" to trade deadline discussion

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
We are still about 75 days away from the trade deadline but I’m interested in opinions on which teams will be:
  • definite buyers (because they are good, older and/or have future picks)
  • definite sellers (because they are bad, too young and/or need future picks)
  • in the middle
The other part I’m interested in is knowing who the sellers will be offering as trade pieces.

Interesting talk of potential import trades (which is pretty rare) and I’m wondering will it end up being a buyers market or a sellers market?
Here is my best guess…..

EAST
BUYERS

• Barrie (six 03 skaters, will Clarke return to make it seven?)
  • Peterborough (eight 03 skaters with an OA spot to fill and an Import who has been injured)
  • North Bay (six 03 skaters)
  • Mississauga (Just returned Larsen as an OA/IMP – may be strongest top 4 D in East)
  • Ottawa (9-0 start with open OA and Import spots to fill)
MIDDLE
  • Sudbury (six 03 skaters)
  • Niagara (six 03 skaters but with a definite eye on next season as a possible MC host)
SELLERS
  • Kingston (four 03 skaters, hoping Wright returns to be traded)
  • Hamilton (six 03 skaters but not deep enough – looking to rebuild and add future draft picks)
  • Oshawa (four 03 skaters, great younger core to build around)
WEST
BUYERS

• Owen Sound (six 03 skaters + OA goalie)
  • Windsor (seven 03 skaters, will Wyatt Johnston return to make it eight?)
  • Sarnia (six 03 skaters + Gaudreau)
  • Kitchener (slow start but seven 03 skaters and Mesar just arrived)

MIDDLE
  • Saginaw (six 03 skaters but strong group of 05s, 06s and an 07 that makes the future brighter?)
  • Guelph (four 03 skaters and struggling)
  • Flint (five 03 skaters, are they deep enough and will Cranley be solid enough?)

SELLERS
  • London (five 03 skaters, low quality older players but great younger group to build around)
  • Soo (three 03 skaters, let the rebuild begin)
  • Erie (six 03 skaters, team appears to be a mess, but promising young core – especially Spence)

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
We are still about 75 days away from the trade deadline but I’m interested in opinions on which teams will be:
  • in the middle
The other part I’m interested in is knowing who the sellers will be offering as trade pieces.

Interesting talk of potential import trades (which is pretty rare) and I’m wondering will it end up being a buyers market or a sellers market?
Here is my best guess…..

EAST
BUYERS

• Peterborough (eight 03 skaters with an OA spot to fill and an Import who has been injured)
  • Mississauga (Just returned Larsen as an OA/IMP – may be strongest top 4 D in East)
MIDDLE
  • Niagara (six 03 skaters but with a definite eye on next season as a possible MC host)
SELLERS
  • Hamilton (six 03 skaters but not deep enough – looking to rebuild and add future draft picks)
WEST
BUYERS

MIDDLE
  • Saginaw (six 03 skaters but strong group of 05s, 06s and an 07 that makes the future brighter?)
  • Flint (five 03 skaters, are they deep enough and will Cranley be solid enough)

SELLERS
  • London (five 03 skaters, low quality older players but great younger group to build around)
  • Erie (six 03 skaters, team appears to be a mess, but promising young core – especially Spence)

You forgot Guelph. Lol. 4 '03 skaters. Next year would be the year to push. Meaning Pastujov and Zhilkin could be possibilities for trade.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa matches up well with Logan Morrison if/when he becomes available. As a 67s fan, that one makes the most sense to me.

After that, look at the two Imports in Saginaw becoming available. Again Ottawa is a potential landing spot but also Barrie with an open Import spot in the East.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To bad Niagara GM doesn’t like draft picks maybe seven overage players next season.
Niagara can get picks for their potential OAs prior to next season. They could get a nice haul for Zito and Keane at the deadline if Niagara does not get healthy and look like a 5-6 seed from the quarter pole to the Christmas break.

Ottawa matches up well with Logan Morrison if/when he becomes available. As a 67s fan, that one makes the most sense to me.

After that, look at the two Imports in Saginaw becoming available. Again Ottawa is a potential landing spot but also Barrie with an open Import spot in the East.
I can’t see any team out bidding the ‘67s for Morrison if/when he becomes available.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Niagara can get picks for their potential OAs prior to next season. They could get a nice haul for Zito and Keane at the deadline if Niagara does not get healthy and look like a 5-6 seed from the quarter pole to the Christmas break.

I can’t see any team out bidding the ‘67s for Morrison if/when he becomes available.

I know we had discussions regarding Niagara earlier. They didn’t pay a whole heck of a lot to acquire some of those players. Their deadline value would be similar or more than their offseason acquisition value in my mind.

I wasn’t a fan of what Niagara did. Buying a nucleus of a team isn’t usually good but with the acquisition cost low, it is a repairable situation if they want to go down that road.

I think Peterborough will be Ottawa’s competition for Morrison. I think it is going to come down to those two teams for sure.

To me the big question mark is Mintyukov. I think he would be a game changer for Ottawa and Ottawa has the open Import slot.

If Ottawa were to add Morrison (OA) and Mintyukov (Import) and only need to trade picks to do it? I think that combination is possible. Then maybe add another veteran depth piece for the 3rd line. I think they’d be off to the races.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I know we had discussions regarding Niagara earlier. They didn’t pay a whole heck of a lot to acquire some of those players. Their deadline value would be similar or more than their offseason acquisition value in my mind.

I wasn’t a fan of what Niagara did. Buying a nucleus of a team isn’t usually good but with the acquisition cost low, it is a repairable situation if they want to go down that road.

I think Peterborough will be Ottawa’s competition for Morrison. I think it is going to come down to those two teams for sure.

To me the big question mark is Mintyukov. I think he would be a game changer for Ottawa and Ottawa has the open Import slot.

If Ottawa were to add Morrison (OA) and Mintyukov (Import) and only need to trade picks to do it? I think that combination is possible. Then maybe add another veteran depth piece for the 3rd line. I think they’d be off to the races.
The number of draft picks that Ottawa has definitely puts them in a better spot than the Petes for trading.
IMO, the Petes still need to see what they have in Purdeller as an import before they make a decision on their 3rd OA. I expect them to upgrade the OA spot held by Spearing - he’s been injury prone and the cost would not be prohibitive.
Their goaltending has been solid so far but they are a serious Michael Simpson injury away from being in trouble. I believe Oke will need to add an experienced goalie as insurance.
Which direction Oke goes in will depend on what happens around the league in the next 6 weeks. Which teams falter and decide to sell? Who, if anyone, gets returned from NHL?
I’m expecting an “arms race” in the East with the Petes, 67s, Steelheads, Colts and Battalion all loading up.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

there is a rumour out there that morrison is a second part of the mactavish trade, but there is not hard evidence there, at this point just whispers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
there is a rumour out there that morrison is a second part of the mactavish trade, but there is not hard evidence there, at this point just whispers.

That would be interesting but since Hamilton traded fair market for MacT, I’m not sure what the return would be that makes that trade open for a second part. Hamilton trading Pharand in that deal sort of precludes a part 2 option wouldn’t you think? It’s not like Peterborough is going to ship VanVolsen over to Hamilton to balance that trade off. Even if the picks portion is returned, that means it would shake down to MacT for Pharand and Morrison. That doesn’t make sense on an agreed two part deal. I don’t see the angle on the compensation side.

The picks in the original deal for MacT were two 2nds and three 3rds. And those picks were all ‘22 and ‘23 picks. Based on the Xhekaj deal last year (two 2nds and two 3rds), you’d have to think Morrison is probably two 2nds and three 3rds or there abouts. That shifts this back to the second part. Would Hamilton actually agree to trading a 100 point OA and Pharand for MacT? It’s possible but that seems pretty steep knowing what they paid to get Xhekaj was a couple days before the MacT deal.

I know you are jsut throwing that out there so I am not questioning your logic. I just don’t see the angle. That is assuming Hamilton wasn’t so desperate that they agreed to something crazy. MacT would be the gift that keeps on giving. MacT and a few picks for Stillman and Morrison. Not a bad haul….if true.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That would be interesting but since Hamilton traded fair market for MacT, I’m not sure what the return would be that makes that trade open for a second part. Hamilton trading Pharand in that deal sort of precludes a part 2 option wouldn’t you think? It’s not like Peterborough is going to ship VanVolsen over to Hamilton to balance that trade off. Even if the picks portion is returned, that means it would shake down to MacT for Pharand and Morrison. That doesn’t make sense on an agreed two part deal. I don’t see the angle on the compensation side.

The picks in the original deal for MacT were two 2nds and three 3rds. And those picks were all ‘22 and ‘23 picks. Based on the Xhekaj deal last year (two 2nds and two 3rds), you’d have to think Morrison is probably two 2nds and three 3rds or there abouts. That shifts this back to the second part. Would Hamilton actually agree to trading a 100 point OA and Pharand for MacT? It’s possible but that seems pretty steep knowing what they paid to get Xhekaj was a couple days before the MacT deal.

I know you are jsut throwing that out there so I am not questioning your logic. I just don’t see the angle. That is assuming Hamilton wasn’t so desperate that they agreed to something crazy. MacT would be the gift that keeps on giving. MacT and a few picks for Stillman and Morrison. Not a bad haul….if true.
Staios took another job, no else in Hamilton remembers any 2 part stuff, and say isn’t that crap frowned upon?! :)

I wouldn’t expect Morrison any more demanded than Xheckaj was. Xheckaj was the prized D at the last trade deadline imo.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves should trade all 19 year old and 20 year old players at the deadline. In fact they should have unloaded some already so that kids like Derbidge wouldn't go home to wait a trade. The only two that I would keep is Toure and Ranger. The rest can be dealt. Robinson, DeGrazia, McCallum, Larmand, Bourdreau and Holmes. None of these guys would make good returning OA's next year and take ice away from a young core. Holmes maybe if he would be able to return.

Papineau's draft in 2019 is really coming back to haunt him now. And it really shows as they will be very hard to get into a 7th or 8th spot in the conference.

Looking back, McCallum, Stillman, Larmand, Anania. P.Robinson, and the rest of the draft class never showed up or didn't make the club. Awful draft....And the verdict is still out on the 2020 draft class, Musty, Assadourian, Mania, Derbidge, Bishop. The rest are no shows or didn't make the club. Derbidge is gone, Bishop not seeing much ice time, That leaves 2nd year players who are not making big strides in development in this season IMO. Could it be that Papineau did not have good back to back drafts? Wolves fans deserve better. Not sure how this management cannot construct a team every three years to be contenders or at least in the top 3 of the conference. At some point someone has to take the fall. This is a very crucial year to see strides and compete to a top 6 in the conference. A team like Kingston with some quality guys moved on from last year are playing fantastic hockey and young guys are producing wins.

WJ

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Unfortunately right now there are so many things that can change and change again, especially before deadline day.

The real question will be how will everyone look before the holiday break, that is the true test to see where everybody around the league will sit and whether or not they'll either be buy or sell at the deadline. Yes some teams I can see as buyers and others who will definitely be sellers.

Until we see some bigger separation in the conferences from 3rd to 10th, I can't really say beyond those teams in 1st and 2nd would really be big buyers or sellers. Give it a full month of games and will see where the true buyers an sellers stand in the league.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The return of Kasper Larsen would seem to have J Urberti on borrowed time. Wonder if there is any landing spot for him.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
  • in the middle

Here is my best guess…..

EAST
BUYERS

MIDDLE
SELLERS
WEST
BUYERS

MIDDLE
  • Guelph (four 03 skaters and struggling)
  • Flint (five 03 skaters, are they deep enough and will Cranley be solid enough?)

SELLERS

Erie already spent a ton to bring on Gilmartin and Alfano. Hot mess, yes which means they could be buyers if they are in top 8. Otherwise Kyrou is the biggest prize for trade IMO.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Oshawa will very likely trade Brett Harrison and Lleyton Moore at the trade deadline. To who, no clue.

Reactions: LDN

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

just a whisper lets call it, i think it sounds like a right of first refusal. morrison is worth lets say 3 picks, 2nds and a 3rd, then peterborough has the opportunity to match any offer.

i dont think there is an actual formal deal made, just an understanding that when morrison goes to market, they have the right to match offers.

again, thats pure speculation and not confirmed at all

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
just a whisper lets call it, i think it sounds like a right of first refusal. morrison is worth lets say 3 picks, 2nds and a 3rd, then peterborough has the opportunity to match any offer.

i dont think there is an actual formal deal made, just an understanding that when morrison goes to market, they have the right to match offers.

again, thats pure speculation and not confirmed at all
That would make sense. Although I have Morrison at two 2nds and three 3rds for trade value. That depends on the years of the picks and who’s picks they are of courses. The further away the picks, the less value they have so if they are all 2023 picks then you may be right on the number of picks.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Bloom, Mintyukov, Lennox, are trade bait for the right price? Sure could get some prospects + pics from a team that wants to make a serious run.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Bloom, Mintyukov, Lennox, are trade bait for the right price? Sure could get some prospects + pics from a team that wants to make a serious run.

I don't think Lennox is moved as he is an OA, which limits trade partners, and his numbers don't necessarily warrant it. Now Mintyukov, if available, would get Saginaw a huge return.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
If Tnias Mathurin is out for a significant amount of time North Bay will certainly need to add a big strong D to replace those minutes.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Assuming that Hamilton, Oshawa, Kingston, Guelph, Erie, London, Soo and Saginaw will be sellers….below is a list of possible trade targets.

IMO there would be some interest in all of these players. Not all will be made available for trade or get an offer that is enough of a return for the seller. Other teams may struggle enough and become sellers (Niagara, Sudbury….)

I expect Wright back but not Johnston or Clarke - we will see.

Dmen
  • Kyrou (03) (ERI) (RD)​
  • Murray (OA) (GUE) (LD)​
  • White (OA) (HAM) (RD)​
  • Grushnikov (03) (IMP) (HAM) (LD)​
  • Roger (OA) (KGN) (RD)​
  • Hache (03) (KGN) (LD)​
  • Mailloux (03) (LDN) (RD)​
  • Moore (OA) (OSH) (LD)​
  • Mintyukov (03) (IMP) (SAG) (LD)​
Forwards
  • Sedore (OA) (ERI) (LW)​
  • Cohen (OA) (ERI) (C)​
  • Pastujov (03) (GUE) (RW)​
  • Zhilkin (03) (GUE) (C)​
  • Morrison (OA) (HAM) (C)​
  • Hayes (OA) (HAM) (RW)​
  • Arcuri (03) (KGN) (LW)​
  • Wright (04)(KGN) (C)​
  • McCue (03) (LDN) (LW)​
  • Harrison (03) (OSH) (C)​
  • Bloom (03) (SAG) (LW)​
  • Sapovaliv (04) (IMP) (SAG) (C)​
  • Watson (OA) (SOO) (RW)​
Goalies
  • Nicholls (03) (ERI)​
  • Zhigalov (03) (IMP) (KGN)​
  • Brochu (OA) (LDN)​
  • Lennox (OA) (SAG)​

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Assuming that Hamilton, Oshawa, Kingston, Guelph, Erie, London, Soo and Saginaw will be sellers….below is a list of possible trade targets.

IMO there would be some interest in all of these players. Not all will be made available for trade or get an offer that is enough of a return for the seller. Other teams may struggle enough and become sellers (Niagara, Sudbury….)

I expect Wright back but not Johnston or Clarke - we will see.

Dmen
  • Kyrou (03) (ERI) (RD)​
  • Murray (OA) (GUE) (LD)​
  • White (OA) (HAM) (RD)​
  • Grushnikov (03) (IMP) (HAM) (LD)​
  • Roger (OA) (KGN) (RD)​
  • Hache (03) (KGN) (LD)​
  • Mailloux (03) (LDN) (RD)​
  • Moore (OA) (OSH) (LD)​
  • Mintyukov (03) (IMP) (SAG) (LD)​
Forwards
  • Sedore (OA) (ERI) (LW)​
  • Cohen (OA) (ERI) (C)​
  • Pastujov (03) (IMP) (GUE) (RW)​
  • Zhilkin (03) (GUE) (C)​
  • Morrison (OA) (HAM) (C)​
  • Hayes (OA) (HAM) (RW)​
  • Arcuri (03) (KGN) (LW)​
  • Wright (03) (KGN) (C)​
  • McCue (03) (LDN) (LW)​
  • Harrison (03) (OSH) (C)​
  • Bloom (03) (SAG) (LW)​
  • Sapovaliv (04) (IMP) (SAG) (C)​
  • Watson (OA) (SOO) (RW)​
Goalies
  • Nicholls (03) (ERI)​
  • Zhigalov (03) (IMP) (KGN)​
  • Brochu (OA) (LDN)​
  • Lennox (OA) (SAG)​
Pastujov isn't an import. He's American and was drafted out of Detroit Compuware. An all-time 14th round pick by Guelph

And Shane Wright is an '04

Reactions: dirty12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad