OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think people love the Star Wars movies they grew up with. When you are adult you can enjoy the new ones but the magic isn't the same. I don't think it's a coincidence that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars, beyond Disney having so much money they just have to buy stuff.

I enjoyed Rogue One though. It was shallow but I think showing another slice of the universe where it's not Jedis worked well.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I actually hate that Disney - Fox deal.
Me too. I was hoping they would eventually reunite the rights for X-Men and the rest of those properties with Marvel studios for years, but not by buying the entire f***ing studio. Disney is too big, it's approaching anti-trust levels now and they're going to be able to use their power to do a lot of really shady things in Hollywood now.

Reactions: Foppberg

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
77247e3a7ed9673979c19381c6e74ea4--twisted-disney-mickey-mouse.jpg

:sarcasm:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I actually hate that Disney - Fox deal.

It's too early for me to have a real opinion on it. There are things to like and dislike, it just depends on how Disney will run things if/when it passes the required regulatory approval.

For instance, I've read a lot of people being concerned about what this means for the R-rated moves that are really well done (not just Deadpool or Logan, but in the past things like the Die Hard and Alien franchises), but honestly Disney is literally buying a way to keep doing those things. All they need to do is keep the 20th Century Fox branding alive (and they should anyway--it's got value) and release anything under that name/branding that they don't want directly associated with the Disney name/branding.

Another thing is the impending arrival of a digital streaming service that Disney already announced earlier this year. Acquiring the Fox movie studios catalog can really help make that service quite good...but again, it depends on them actually utilizing both the current Disney back catalog titles as well as the *entire* Fox catalog.

Those two things I mentioned are possibilities for something good to come out of this; but if Disney just completes the purchase and stuffs Fox and all of the things they've done so well into their "vault", then yeah--it's not looking good.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Disney are into franchising. If there is any risk, it's not that there are too few movies coming out. It's more that everything will get diluted. The super hero movie genre is starting to get a bit tired and it's possible the yearly Star Wars movie thing is going to wear on us.

Disney are very concerned with the value of their intellectual property, which means everything affecting key IPs (Disney+Pixar stuff, Marvel and Star Wars) have to go through them, which might hinder creativity in the long run.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I’ve made crappy fries. There’s got to be some way to mix them with corn starch or change the ph to make them crispier
Yeah, my options are soggy, or soggy and burnt. Luckily roasted sweet potato is good too. And it'll command a healthier main dish, usually.

Not like the three homemade burgers I just ate. Didn't need the sweet potato fries, by the way.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Yeah, my options are soggy, or soggy and burnt. Luckily roasted sweet potato is good too. And it'll command a healthier main dish, usually.

Not like the three homemade burgers I just ate. Didn't need the sweet potato fries, by the way.

Then what (besides the burgers) did you cover in ketchup???

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Disney are into franchising. If there is any risk, it's not that there are too few movies coming out. It's more that everything will get diluted. The super hero movie genre is starting to get a bit tired and it's possible the yearly Star Wars movie thing is going to wear on us.

Disney are very concerned with the value of their intellectual property, which means everything affecting key IPs (Disney+Pixar stuff, Marvel and Star Wars) have to go through them, which might hinder creativity in the long run.

Iger seemed to specifically call out Logan and Deadpool as examples of more 'adult' (i.e. R-rated) fare that can continue even after this purchase. And both Marvel and Pixar seem to have some degree of autonomy when it comes to how they run their business (look at the Marvel TV offerings on Netflix for example).

I'm not saying there's no reason to be concerned, but at least *some* early indicators are pointing to them not being as strict as some on the internet would have us believe. Like I said before, their easiest solution would be the keep the 20th Century Fox branding alive and release stuff under it that they don't want to have tied directly to the Disney logo.

(Of course, the easiest solution would be for people to realize that it's OKAY for certain things to be rated R and that not everything *has* to be completely family-friendly)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just found out that a friend of mine is Curt Fraser's niece (former NHLer and current Stars AC). She gets invited to games whenever Dallas is in town. She knows nothing about hockey though, and originally her husband thought he was the head coach of the Stars, and my eyes almost popped out of my skull thinking she was related to Hitch. Still cool though.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I had to move back in with my parents for a few weeks. I'm board out of my mind. I miss the city. The suburbs are so freaking bright. I just don't get the point of christmas lights.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I had to move back in with my parents for a few weeks. I'm board out of my mind. I miss the city. The suburbs are so freaking bright. I just don't get the point of christmas lights.
I'm going to spend Christmas and the following two weeks with my parents. First week is at this vacation place and the other at the parents' house. It's great that I get to see family on Christmas, and I love free and ready-made food for two weeks, and I don't mind the company or the activities either.

It's just that after you've gotten used to doing shit whenever you want and not having anyone else have much of a say in that... (meaning also that if I want to do some shit in the middle of the night, I'll do it) staying with other people who have regular adult person schedules is different.

Last edited:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I had one of those super vibrant and realistic dreams last night. The main subject was an ex of mine who I haven't thought about in a long, long time. We were on vacation with my family together and everything was so blissful and wonderful. Waking up in a cold (I left my heat off last night by accident), dark, empty apartment was brutal and really f***ed me up. I thought I was about to cry this morning and it has had me down all day long. I've really been craving that kind of closeness for a while now and I guess my brain just ran with it last night.

Looks like I'll just browse Tinder to find my soulmate instead :cry:

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Well that recipe doesn't solve the problem with them.

I really believe in the ph method, but it might include washing the potatoes in a solution with baking soda and water. This article did it in vinegar (with normal potatoes). Really good read for playing around and experimenting. Let me know if you find anything out...

The Best Roast Potatoes Ever Recipe

I have made homemade pretzels before - those too have some elements of playing with PH level. With pretzels you have to cook the bread but you also want a really crisp exterior.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Studying for two hours truly means studying for 15 minutes, reading HFBoards for 45 minutes, surfing other websites than HFBoards for 45 minutes and Whatsapping the last 15 minutes. Damn I'm lazy and hyperactive. I blame smartphones.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Studying for two hours truly means studying for 15 minutes, reading HFBoards for 45 minutes, surfing other websites than HFBoards for 45 minutes and Whatsapping the last 15 minutes. Damn I'm lazy and hyperactive. I blame smartphones.
I'm now officially done until after Epiphany. Ner ner ner ner ner ner! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Murzu

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Best Christmas song ever. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) with Darlene Love

Trivia. The creator Phil Spector is in jail for murder and every day is a bad hair day for him.

2005PhilSpectorPA170512-413x620.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad