OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I have a launch PS4 I am running into the ground

I need to buy a cheap external hard drive for it

I bought the Return to Arkham collection Sunday on a whim, and just beat Arkham Asylum for the first time in like 5 years

Excited to get into Arkham City, much better game than Asylum

Both are great but City is much better. Origins was a good one too but doesn't compare to the first two. They finally stabilized the Arkham Knight PC version, it runs pretty well now.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
City >> Asylum >= Origins > (slightly) Knight

That's my order. City was just really good. The gap gets smaller with the other three. I could see them being interchangeable, really.

Though playing with the Batmobile was a lot of fun in Knight.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I don't know if anyone else has been staying updated with EA and the new things for NHL 18, but damn does that game look a good bit better than 17.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
City >> Asylum >= Origins > (slightly) Knight

That's my order. City was just really good. The gap gets smaller with the other three. I could see them being interchangeable, really.

Though playing with the Batmobile was a lot of fun in Knight.

Asylum was a game changer for me.

I was so used to having no expectations for superhero games that I didn't even pay attention. About 4 months after the game's release, I decided to check it out. Needless to say, I was hooked.

I feel the series peaked with City, but I enjoyed Origins and Knight as well. I never quite got the hate from some people. They're solid games. Maybe not on par with City, but good games in their own right.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

I was so used to having no expectations for superhero games that I didn't even pay attention. About 4 months after the game's release, I decided to check it out. Needless to say, I was hooked.

I feel the series peaked with City, but I enjoyed Origins and Knight as well. I never quite got the hate from some people. They're solid games. Maybe not on par with City, but good games in their own right.

Agreed, although the PC version of Knight was a mess when it first came out. Once they patched it up it got a lot more favorable reviews.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I don't trust EA. If you get it let me know how the gameplay is.

At the time of that comment, I was just looking at it in hindsight anyways. I was talking about the new game to some friends today and I saw a video of all the overalls and some gameplay(since there was an early release for people who have EA access), and I realize that the game, despite adding these other things, EA still needs to do them correctly.

Such as overalls. They only lowered the overalls and didn't separate them at all, which pisses me off. The game is still lacking a lot of components if you really analyze it and break it all down.

Not that NHL will ever be nearly close in depth and realism to how actual real life is. Most sports games probably aren't, I don't play any others. But I guarantee they're close to their sport in real life than EA Sports NHL is to hockey.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
At the time of that comment, I was just looking at it in hindsight anyways. I was talking about the new game to some friends today and I saw a video of all the overalls and some gameplay(since there was an early release for people who have EA access), and I realize that the game, despite adding these other things, EA still needs to do them correctly.

Such as overalls. They only lowered the overalls and didn't separate them at all, which pisses me off. The game is still lacking a lot of components if you really analyze it and break it all down.

Not that NHL will ever be nearly close in depth and realism to how actual real life is. Most sports games probably aren't, I don't play any others. But I guarantee they're close to their sport in real life than EA Sports NHL is to hockey.

How are the puck physics or the goalie movements?

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
How are the puck physics or the goalie movements?

Puck physics are kind of wonky to me if anything. But I only played the beta, in which the puck pickup was pretty bad and the bounces were very strange at times. Goalie movements aren't great to me, way too slow imo. Goalies need to be boosted up big time.

Edit - Human goalies, I mean. CPU goalies stand on their heads half the time. Although in the beta they let in a lot of bad goals too.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The online team play and club play has been **** for a few years now. EA completely sucked the fun out of it. You get generic player types with pre set skill sets and height/weight. You can't choose the height weight or apply attributes towards skills, everybody is the ****ing same and it absolutely is brutal. I used to shell out 50 bucks just to buy the attributes so I can make my character better, but now.....the guy who's a hardcore gamer is the same as a newbie, ridiculous. Oh yeah, you can "prestige" and have an online ranking next to your name but in reality doesn't do **** for your character.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

EA does an excellent job with the FIFA franchise, the quality is night and day compared to NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

The Batman games are just ripe for a Switch port. That should really happen.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Anyone play EASHL on NHL18? Thoughts on it so far?

The 3v3 is great, but the 6v6 is brutal. Games are more rugby than hockey.

Mamas Mustard

Sponsor
Nov 21, 2013
bergen co
So after talking with a few of my OTP buddies, Ive learned there is NO OTP at all on NHL 18. Wtf? Ive been playing OTP for years and now they just get rid of it? Sorry EA, might have to sit this one out.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm getting my feel for the game and waiting for the roster update before I dive into my franchise.

I always do this too, so that the college kids and any Euros can be added to the roster/system

Hensch

Dec 30, 2010
Nanaimo
So after talking with a few of my OTP buddies, Ive learned there is NO OTP at all on NHL 18. Wtf? Ive been playing OTP for years and now they just get rid of it? Sorry EA, might have to sit this one out.

There is an "OTP" sort of, you can join in the EASHL drop in menu

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm getting my feel for the game and waiting for the roster update before I dive into my franchise.

You're a stronger person than I.

I usually start one before the roster update since I do fantasy draft most of the time. Gives me a bit to get a feel for who has what value before the roster update comes out and I build the team I'm going to play with long term.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Puck physics are kind of wonky to me if anything. But I only played the beta, in which the puck pickup was pretty bad and the bounces were very strange at times. Goalie movements aren't great to me, way too slow imo. Goalies need to be boosted up big time.

Edit - Human goalies, I mean. CPU goalies stand on their heads half the time. Although in the beta they let in a lot of bad goals too.

IMO, physics are pretty well improved across the board. Skating physics are really different than 17, mostly for the better. Takes some time to change directions and get back up to speed finally, which is huge. Feels more like skating and makes the game look and play more like actual hockey.

I really wish they'd add something to be a pro mode. I remember playing a madden game maybe 10 years ago that had more to that mode than NHL 18 has - you could shop for sponsors, make "decisions" about life and career choices, buy a house, etc. That stuff isn't hugely important but it helps immersion and adds some fun. I hope that's on the board for the future with them but who knows with EA.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Contracts are meaningless. In be a pro I'd want the cheapest contact possible so my team can get better players under the cap. I'd rather they add choices that impact the actual game. Do you want to be a good player the fans adore or a great player the fans want to trade for picks and prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad