Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've always wondered something, with a lot of coaches being former NHL players, are teams allowed to sign and dress coaches as players on an emergency basis? The Penguins could technically do that with any of Gonchar, Sullivan or Recchi, I just don't know if there's a rule against that.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I love statistical anomalies I like how the Penguins are in 1st Place in the Metro, but have second worst goal differential in the division at -8. I know why the number is what the number is but like I said love statistical anomalies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Zac Trotman now listed on the teams website. Not ringing a single bell. Earlier, it was DiPauli, so who knows what's really going on. Unless they think Hunwick will be good to go by next game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Zac Trotman now listed on the teams website. Not ringing a single bell. Earlier, it was DiPauli, so who knows what's really going on. Unless they think Hunwick will be good to go by next game.

We are missing Hunwick, Letang and Schultz from today's practice. My guess is that Hunwick would have been skating with the team if he was ready. I don't know what's going on with Letang, but my guess is Hunwick and Schultz don't play tomorrow. They may need to call up an extra D man from WBS

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We are missing Hunwick, Letang and Schultz from today's practice. My guess is that Hunwick would have been skating with the team if he was ready. I don't know what's going on with Letang, but my guess is Hunwick and Schultz don't play tomorrow. They may need to call up an extra D man from WBS
Letang had a maintenance day. Still need a 7th, just in case.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016

Seems like Sullivan wouldn't put Kessel on the 3rd line because he wants that line to to be more a defensive line. Similar to '17 playoffs, not '16.
So he can deploy top 6 as primarily offensive and bottom 6 as primarialy defensive lines.

Ultimately, you would want Geno and Phil on their own lines, as Kessel is at his best when he shoots in motion and Geno works the best with the shooters who can one time the puck.

Watching last nights game, reminded me how well Geno would work with players who can get open and unload the shot, he would find them and feed them the puck. He set up Rust perfectly in the slot in the first period, Rust had all the time and space to shoot, but he passed the puck back. There was several instances like this with the 2nd line yesterday.
The player not necessary have to be an elite shooter like Neal, just players who can get open and fire the puck, like it was with Kunitz, Blake Comeau, and Talbot(?).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Seems like Sullivan wouldn't put Kessel on the 3rd line because he wants that line to to be more a defensive line. Similar to '17 playoffs, not '16.
So he can deploy top 6 as primarily offensive and bottom 6 as primarialy defensive lines.

Ultimately, you would want Geno and Phil on their own lines, as Kessel is at his best when he shoots in motion and Geno works the best with the shooters who can one time the puck.

Watching last nights game, reminded me how well Geno would work with the players who can get open and unload the shot, he would find them and feed them the puck. He set up Rust perfectly in the slot in the first period, Rust had all the time and space to shoot, but he passed the puck back. There was several instances like this with the 2nd line yesterday.
The player not necessary have to be an elite shooter like Neal, just players who can get open and fire the puck, like it was with Kunitz, Blake Comeau, and Talbot(?).

Sprong would be just that player. While we're suffering all these defensive injuries, where are the wing injuries? We need one and to get Sprong up here....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It just sucks the Penguins don't have a good playmaking defensive forward that they can put on Sheahan's line. It's not a huge deal, but having say a defensively responsible playmaking 3LW with Sheahan and Hornqvist would make a damn good line I think. Although the Penguins do kinda have one of those guys already in Rust, I think a Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist 3rd line would be very effective. It's why I want to see Hagelin and Rust switch in the lineup, Hagelin has looked the best he has here with Kessel and Rust's playmaking would be more useful on a line with Sheahan and Hornqvist than on a line with Kessel and Malkin.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
The injury bug is starting to creep back again...some things never change.

Pens 5 on 5 play still leaves a lot to be desired. Some tweaks in the lineup may help, I think. Like getting Hornqvist and Hagelin in top 6 and make Sheary and Rust 3rd line wingers...seems logical.

He still can use top 6 primiraly offensively and bottom 6 primarialy defensively, but top 6 will improve defensively with Hornqvist and Hagelin in it and Sheahan will have a better chance to unfold an offensive potential with Rust and Sheary, even though they would get most of their face off shifts starting in D zone.

Like, I don't think that Sheary-Sheahan-Rust line would be bleeding goals against while deployed as defensive line, even though it would be significally weaker defensively than Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist most likely, but SSR would have a better potential chiping in offensively and Hags and Horny can improve top 6.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It just sucks the Penguins don't have a good playmaking defensive forward that they can put on Sheahan's line. It's not a huge deal, but having say a defensively responsible playmaking 3LW with Sheahan and Hornqvist would make a damn good line I think. Although the Penguins do kinda have one of those guys already in Rust, I think a Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist 3rd line would be very effective. It's why I want to see Hagelin and Rust switch in the lineup, Hagelin has looked the best he has here with Kessel and Rust's playmaking would be more useful on a line with Sheahan and Hornqvist than on a line with Kessel and Malkin.

Rust would help get the puck to the net much more so than Hagelin. Hagelin needs to be with Kessel and find his mojo again.

He can't be a passenger again production wise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust would help get the puck to the net much more so than Hagelin. Hagelin needs to be with Kessel and find his mojo again.

He can't be a passenger again production wise.

My only issue with Hagelin is that if he needs to be playing with Kessel and Malkin to be effective, is he even a guy the Penguins should consider keeping around? My only concern with shipping him out would be having too make skilled wingers and not enough wingers like Rust and Hornqvist, because your top-6 becomes incredible skill heavy and soft if you cut out Hagelin for Sprong. If not for that concern, I'd ship him out at the first opportunity I'd get.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One thing that would help the team's 5 on 5 play is Letang not being such a doofus and not trying so hard to start a break out.

But I'm not a fan of the lines either...GCS is just going to be mauled against a heavy Wpg crew. I don't understand Sully's fascination there. They were solid against EDM but are still prone to defensive lapses. Rather see Horny and Hags in the top 6 too

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Sprong would be just that player. While we're suffering all these defensive injuries, where are the wing injuries? We need one and to get Sprong up here....
Theoretically, yes. We definitely will see it tried at some point, I think. The main thing, Sprong(similar to Kessel), probably will need a strong away from the puck player on the opposite wing with him, like Hagelin and we have only one Hagelin. And I don't think that Rust is exactly that. Like, I wouldn't want Rust on the LW opposite Kessel or Sprong. I would want Rust on the RW on the 3rd line or the 2nd line (depending who's on the left).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The injury bug is starting to creep back again...some things never change.

Pens 5 on 5 play still leaves a lot to be desired. Some tweaks in the lineup may help, I think. Like getting Hornqvist and Hagelin in top 6 and make Sheary and Rust 3rd line wingers...seems logical.

He still can use top 6 primiraly offensively and bottom 6 primarialy defensively, but top 6 will improve defensively with Hornqvist and Hagelin in it and Sheahan will have a better chance to unfold an offensive potential with Rust and Sheary, even though they would get most of their face off shifts starting in D zone.

Like, I don't think that Sheary-Sheahan-Rust line would be bleeding goals against while deployed as defensive line, even though it would be significally weaker defensively than Hagelin-Sheahan-Hornqvist most likely, but SSR would have a better potential chiping in offensively and Hags and Horny can improve top 6.

Sheary-Rust isn't a defensive wing combo I'm happy with. I'd far rather keep Sheary with Hornqvist and roll Rust with Guentzel.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My only issue with Hagelin is that if he needs to be playing with Kessel and Malkin to be effective, is he even a guy the Penguins should consider keeping around? My only concern with shipping him out would be having too make skilled wingers and not enough wingers like Rust and Hornqvist, because your top-6 becomes incredible skill heavy and soft if you cut out Hagelin for Sprong. If not for that concern, I'd ship him out at the first opportunity I'd get.

Pens have a lot of fast, tenacious guys that can play a good two way game in the system... DiPauli and Archibald definitely fit the bill as guys that could jump right in today and take over that role. They would basically have to produce like a high end fourth liner to match Hags production from last season.

I'm not advocating moving Hagelin though, just saying his current role and production can be pretty easily replaced internally at 1/4 of the cap. He needs to get back to his prior production which was throwing up goals in the mid-teens and scoring 30+ point.

Reactions: Pens17

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Theoretically, yes. We definitely will see it tried at some point, I think. The main thing, Sprong(similar to Kessel), probably will need a strong away from the puck player on the opposite wing with him, like Hagelin and we have only one Hagelin. And I don't think that Rust is exactly that. Like, I wouldn't want Rust on the LW opposite Kessel or Sprong. I would want Rust on the RW on the 3rd line or the 2nd line (depending who's on the left).

I think Sprong is a better fit for Geno than Phil. They do have slightly different games in that he's less of a passer than Phil and is willing to shoot more in different places. I'd love to see a line of Hags-Geno-Sprong and Sheary/Rust-Sheahan-Kessel

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Outside of HBK in 2016, Hagelin really hasn't found his game offensively for the Penguins. I'm not sure when JR realizes that and just moves him. I love Hags and his speed but man his offense is just nothing.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Outside of HBK in 2016, Hagelin really hasn't found his game offensively for the Penguins. I'm not sure when JR realizes that and just moves him. I love Hags and his speed but man his offense is just nothing.

Deadline or in the summer. I like Hagelin and he definitely brings stuff to the table but he's a luxury at that caphit with his current production.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Who is taking Hags with his cap hit vs his production?

It's the kind of move that JR may have to retain on or give up assets to move his contract.

It's best for Sullivan to find a way to get him going and Kessel is again, the only guy he has clicked with. Just makes sense to put them together for awhile.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
very simple solution: put Hags with kessel and Sheahan
Guentz-sid-horny
sheary-geno-sprong
hags-sheahan-kessel
archie-McKegg-Rust

you can swap sheary and archie, and try some other guys on that 4LW position...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This was my complaint about Hagelin. I love everything else about his game except the fact he's taking up quite a bit of cap space to produce like a 4th liner.

Hagelin has to return to his 30+ point form, otherwise he's overpaid for what he actually brings to the table.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Guentz-sid-horny
sheary-geno-sprong
hags-sheahan-kessel
archie-McKegg-Rust

Reaves isn't going to be out of the lineup. Dude has the exact same stat line as Hagelin with way much less ice time, and he's still adjusting to the system.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Guentz-sid-horny
sheary-geno-sprong
hags-sheahan-kessel
archie-McKegg-Rust

Rust on L4 is a crime. I think the above list shows Sheary is expendable when Sprong arrives full time, or else one of Hags/Horny goes.

Minus Sheary:
Guentzel - Crosby - Horny
Hags - Geno - Sprong
Rust - Sheahan - Kessel
Kuhn - KcKegg - Reaves/Archie

Minus Horny: Same but swap Horny and Sheary
(This probably doesn't happen till ZAR is ready to play net front)

Minus Hags:

Guentzel - Crosby - Horny
Rust - Geno - Sprong
Sheary - Sheahan - Kessel
Kuhn - KcKegg - Reaves/Archie

We still have the same conundrum: too many RWs. Sheary and Rust can play both but Sheary is best with Sid, but that LW is taken for the next decade. Horny has looked good with Sid in the past, but Sid apparently doesn't like playing with him.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Hagelin should be put in a third wheel role on a scoring line. That's when we get a maximum value out of him.

He's not gonna produce playing on a defensive line with Sheahan/McKegg and Hornqvist. He's not a scorer nor a playmaker, he's a complementary player. He can support play in all zones and his best assest-his play away from the puck, especially on the forecheck.

At first, I wasn't crazy about the trade because of his cap hit, but watching him closely for two years now, I see what he brings to the table and I think it's pretty valuable. Kessel really started/starts to play at his best when Hagelin was/is put with him on the line. Not Perron, Kunitz(at 37), Wilson or whoever else played with him on the other wing.
If he was a RW he could've complement Guentzel-Crosby or Sheary-Crosby as well, I think.
As I said, just let him be a third wheel with a skilled center and a skilled winger. Iirc he played with skilled guys in NY.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I've always wondered something, with a lot of coaches being former NHL players, are teams allowed to sign and dress coaches as players on an emergency basis? The Penguins could technically do that with any of Gonchar, Sullivan or Recchi, I just don't know if there's a rule against that.
I'm not sure about that, especially in the cap era. After a certain date (in December, I think) all signings have to clear waivers, so it wouldn't work for an emergency.

Maybe there are some loopholes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad