The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm personally marveling at the own-zone hemorrhage talent that is Stevey Santini.

Not only do people think he's not that bad, they think he's having a great season. Classic example of taking context and usage too far.

He's a 36% possession player. At that point, I don't care if your coach is shooting you before your shift starts.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Oh look, Girardi sucks.

I'm floored. Absolutely flabbergasted.

I expect regression but....

Dan Girardi 5v5 adjusted.

CF%: 51.12 Rel CF%: -0.9
GF%: 59.74 Rel GF%: 4.29
xGF%: 55.36 Rel xGF%: 6.63

With a 45/55 DZS/OZS split...

These numbers are.... good lol.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

He hasn't been terrible by any stretch, but he's still hurting every teammate.

Sort of like Fowler. Fowler has some really good analytics but every single teammate to come within 10 feet of Fowler is worse with him than without him.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think you're reading Micahs visual wrong? Or i am... But every player isn't hurting when playing with Girardi this year, atleast that's how i read it, it's a very mixed bag. And the overall numbers look very good so i dno...

As i said, i expect regression but he seems to be doing good in a 3rd pairing role for Tampa right now.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

Brb. Editing all my past “Girardi is not good” posts with “AV y have u forsaken us”.

Reactions: Ail

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think you're reading Micahs visual wrong? Or i am... But every player isn't hurting when playing with Girardi this year, atleast that's how i read it, it's a very mixed bag. And the overall numbers look very good so i dno...

As i said, i expect regression but he seems to be doing good in a 3rd pairing role for Tampa right now.

The red line is considered quality play, although that in itself might be considered an oversimplification.

Every "without Girardi" box is better than the red line.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The red line is considered quality play, although that in itself might be considered an oversimplification.

Every "without Girardi" box is better than the red line.

Sure, but the grey lines is how they are with Girardi, right? And those are very mixed.

Honestly, i find those WOWYs very tough to read, i'm probably just dumb though :)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Really disappointing to not get a point out of that game and I'm absolutely baffled by the KDB line on these charts. When the eye-test doesn't match up, eh?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
For sure. I just felt like we dominated enough where I wasn't expecting any line to be that negative.

My eyes!
I thought we dominated more than we did, freakin eye test lol. Seems like the Rangers have had the puck in the other teams zone alot more often lately, cycling the puck. But we still never control the shot clock, it's weird. Always looking for the perfect pass.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
DeBrincat is posterizing the league right now. 11 points in his last 8 games. 7 goals. Draft skill. Draft volume shooters. Safe is death.
He’s so shifty and impossible to contain with his speed and skill. He’s like a weird hybrid version of Zucc and Arvidsson

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He’s so shifty and impossible to contain with his speed and skill. He’s like a weird hybrid version of Zucc and Arvidsson
I was laughed out of the WJC thread last year when I said it was preposterous that they cut a guy who's gonna score 30 goals a year in the NHL for guys like Thompson and Greenway because they're huge.

Nice prospects, but not DeBrincat.

And they won gold anyway, so who really cares :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I was laughed out of the WJC thread last year when I said it was preposterous that they cut a guy who's gonna score 30 goals a year in the NHL for guys like Thompson and Greenway because they're huge.

Nice prospects, but not DeBrincat.

And they won gold anyway, so who really cares :laugh:
To be fair, Greenway and Thompson both were good, but Debrincat should’ve been on the roster too. I remember your back and forth with Jon on the topic. I think I even argued with you too :D

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
To be fair, Greenway and Thompson both were good, but Debrincat should’ve been on the roster too. I remember your back and forth with Jon on the topic. I think I even argued with you too :D
Jon and I were murdering each other back then. Ultimately, he's right. They won the gold. No way to know if they still win it with ADB on the team.

Feel bad that @Hunter Gathers and I always end up battling because he's a poster I respect a ton and always make sure to read his posts when I see them. I'm giving him a lot of grief about Eli in the football thread right now :)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
DeBrincat is posterizing the league right now. 11 points in his last 8 games. 7 goals. Draft skill. Draft volume shooters. Safe is death.

This is the truth, the "draft volume shooters" part is spot on, especially when you draft wingers. Shot generation is a "skill" which translates very well. This is part of why i'm pretty excited about Ronning and Gettinger, both are good/great shot generators with intriguing skillsets, both are still far from sure things but given where they were drafted i'm hyped.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Jon and I were murdering each other back then. Ultimately, he's right. They won the gold. No way to know if they still win it with ADB on the team.

Feel bad that @Hunter Gathers and I always end up battling because he's a poster I respect a ton and always make sure to read his posts when I see them. I'm giving him a lot of grief about Eli in the football thread right now :)
Well he’s right about Eli. Happy Wentzday :nod:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
44 shots is a volume shooter? He's shooting 23%
Volume shooter pre-draft. Much harder to be a volume shooter in the NHL, but, shooters shoot. That's also 44 SOG. He's 4th on the Hawks in 5v5 iCF60. Drops to 6th all situations.

23% will obviously drop, but it doesn't surprise me. He's got an amazing shot. Overshooting his expected total by roughly 4% (5v5). When a guy like DeBrincat overshoots, I don't really second-guess it.

dat via Corsica

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Volume shooter pre-draft. Much harder to be a volume shooter in the NHL, but, shooters shoot. That's also 44 SOG. He's 4th on the Hawks in 5v5 iCF60. Drops to 6th all situations.

23% will obviously drop, but it doesn't surprise me. He's got an amazing shot. Overshooting his expected total by roughly 4% (5v5). When a guy like DeBrincat overshoots, I don't really second-guess it.

dat via Corsica

His shot is great the only thing I question is consistently getting it off and creating them for himself at this level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad