GDT: The 2024 World Junior Championship Thread || Gothenburg, Sweden || Dec 26th - Jan 5th

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Too bad Canada won't have a summer camp this year. I don't know if Mateychuk or Dumais shining there would've had a positive effect on the chances of them making the WJC team but at least would have been nice entertainment for offseason days.

Canada has named Lethbridge's (team in same eastern conference in WHL as Mateychuk's Moose Jaw) GM Peter Anholt as the Management Lead for 2024 WJC team.

Last year they had the management lead from Ottawa (OHL) and head coach from Everett (western conference in WHL). Interesting to note that they ended up selecting 9 (!) players from the west of WHL for their final roster. Mateychuk wasn't even invited to pre-WJC camp.

Makes you wonder.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
C/RW Gavin Brindley
“Brindley wasn’t really expected to make the 2023 USA squad, but he played a big fourth-line role and gained a ton of confidence at last year’s tournament. He’s an example of why caution must be emphasized when relating this camp roster to December’s decisions. He wasn’t invited to last summer’s National Junior Evaluation Camp because Team USA prioritized older players for the 2022 tournament in August, slashing the number of 2023 hopefuls who could try out. Brindley was one of those lost in the fray.”

C Will Whitelaw
“Quick skating, a high-skill release and plenty of stickhandling tools to keep plays alive — Whitelaw could be an excellent offensive contributor. But the noise around Whitelaw suggests that he’s not a great locker room guy, to say the least. Just read this passage from EP Rinkside’s “industry chatter” section, which is usually where pro scouts share their unreserved beliefs under the almight power of anonymity:

“There’s a reason he was left off the World Junior-A challenge team. It has nothing to do with his hockey abilities. He thinks ‘I am better than all of you guys. My teammates suck.’ Add in that he’s small. Not a fun guy to put your name on the line with.”

I’ve never met Whitelaw. I’ve never been in the locker room with him. I don’t know if this is an accurate assessment. But it does raise questions as to how he can fit in on a deep, talented USA team that’s more about the jersey crest than the nameplate.

I’ll hedge the above chatter by noting that it is, as the name suggests, chatter — not fact that scouts would go public with. If Whitelaw was truly locker room cancer, then I’m not sure how he’d be so highly recruited, nor how he’d help lead USHL Youngstown to a Clark Cup. Another alleged cancer in Jack Eichel just helped Vegas win a Stanley Cup and rewrote his narrative.

Even if there’s an underlying attitude problem, those can be checked at the door with a good coach and captain. Criticisms always exist in context, and it’s important to keep that in mind before writing a player off.”

Last edited:
Reactions: tunnelvision

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Mateychuk and Dumais to take part in Team Canada's Summer Meetings... Fantilli was also invited but will not participate.
Players took part in virtual meetings that covered a variety of topics, including education on the Program of Excellence, sport safety presentations, short-term international competition preparation and meetings with the Hockey Canada management group. The discussions will allow participants to continue to evolve as high-performance athletes and utilize the strengths and experience of the Program of Excellence’s leadership.

Players will continue to be evaluated through the early portion of the 2023-24 season before Canadian rosters are named for the 2023 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Michael BuchingerL5'11"18404/25/04Markham, ONGuelph (OHL)STL 2022 (3/88)
Lucas CagnoniR5'9"18212/21/04Burnaby, BCPortland (WHL)SJ 2023 (4/123)
Jorian DonovanL6'1"18504/05/04Calgary, ABHamilton (OHL)OTT 2022 (5/136)
Jake FurlongL6'0"18701/15/03Upper Tantallon, NSHalifax (LHJMQ)SJ 2022 (5/140)
Isaiah GeorgeL6'0"19602/15/04Oakville, ONLondon (OHL)NYI 2022 (4/98)
Kevin KorchinskiL6'2"18706/21/04Saskatoon, SKSeattle (WHL)CHI 2022 (1/7)
Maveric LamoureuxR6'6"19901/13/04Hawkesbury, ONDrummondville (LHJMQ)ARI 2022 (1/29)
Tristan LuneauR6'1"19401/12/04Victoriaville, QCGatineau (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/53)
Denton MateychukL5'11"18907/12/04Dominion City, MBMoose Jaw (WHL)CBJ 2022 (1/12)
Ty NelsonR5'10"20403/30/04Toronto, ONNorth Bay (OHL)SEA 2022 (3/68)
Owen PickeringL6'4"18201/27/04St. Adolphe, MBSwift Current (WHL)PIT 2022 (1/21)
Pier-Olivier RoyL5'10"16503/05/04Adstock, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)2024 Draft/Rep.
Spencer SovaL6'0"18501/10/04Windsor, ONErie (OHL)2024 Draft/Rep.
Noah WarrenR6'5"22307/15/04St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/42)

My early guess is Korchinski will be 1LD on the final roster. Competition for Mateychuk to make the top-6 (likely 2nd or 3rd pair LD, I guess) doesn't look that overwhelming on paper but there some names that can surprise and outperform him, Pickering for example.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

Mateychuk and Dumais to take part in Team Canada's Summer Meetings... Fantilli was also invited but will not participate.

Michael BuchingerL5'11"18404/25/04Markham, ONGuelph (OHL)STL 2022 (3/88)
Lucas CagnoniR5'9"18212/21/04Burnaby, BCPortland (WHL)SJ 2023 (4/123)
Jorian DonovanL6'1"18504/05/04Calgary, ABHamilton (OHL)OTT 2022 (5/136)
Jake FurlongL6'0"18701/15/03Upper Tantallon, NSHalifax (LHJMQ)SJ 2022 (5/140)
Isaiah GeorgeL6'0"19602/15/04Oakville, ONLondon (OHL)NYI 2022 (4/98)
Kevin KorchinskiL6'2"18706/21/04Saskatoon, SKSeattle (WHL)CHI 2022 (1/7)
Maveric LamoureuxR6'6"19901/13/04Hawkesbury, ONDrummondville (LHJMQ)ARI 2022 (1/29)
Tristan LuneauR6'1"19401/12/04Victoriaville, QCGatineau (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/53)
Denton MateychukL5'11"18907/12/04Dominion City, MBMoose Jaw (WHL)CBJ 2022 (1/12)
Ty NelsonR5'10"20403/30/04Toronto, ONNorth Bay (OHL)SEA 2022 (3/68)
Owen PickeringL6'4"18201/27/04St. Adolphe, MBSwift Current (WHL)PIT 2022 (1/21)
Pier-Olivier RoyL5'10"16503/05/04Adstock, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)2024 Draft/Rep.
Spencer SovaL6'0"18501/10/04Windsor, ONErie (OHL)2024 Draft/Rep.
Noah WarrenR6'5"22307/15/04St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/42)

My early guess is Korchinski will be 1LD on the final roster. Competition for Mateychuk to make the top-6 (likely 2nd or 3rd pair LD, I guess) doesn't look that overwhelming on paper but there some names that can surprise and outperform him, Pickering for example.
Yeah I think it would be a disappointment if he doesn’t make the team. I think HC values the ability (to a small degree) where guys can play both sides LD/RD, which he can IIRC.

Pickering probably slots in on the second pair at this point, especially with his size.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Pickering probably slots in on the second pair at this point, especially with his size.
Very possible. However if coaches decided to make Luneau 1RD and the other two RDs in top-6 were less than ideal puck movers like Lamoureux and Warren, then they'd probably prefer having best remaining puck moving LD (=Mateychuk) on the 2nd pair to balance it all out.

Korchinski-Luneau
Mateychuk-Warren
Pickering-Lamoureux

Nelson apparently had a strong D+1 so I won't be shocked if he cracks the top-6 and pushes Warren/Lamoureux out. In that scenario the pairings could look like:

Korchinski-Luneau
Pickering-Nelson
Mateychuk-Warren

We will see.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Pronman's projected Team Canada roster
1691428173603.png

Kevin Korchinski, if available, should be the clear leader of this blue line. He and Owen Pickering would give their blue line size, mobility and offense and will be leaned on, whether on the same or different pairs. Korchinski would likely be on a power-play unit. Where Canada gets the rest of their offense from is TBD, but Denton Mateychuk, Tristan Luneau, Michael Buchinger, Ty Nelson and Lucas Cagnoni are candidates to run a power play for them. Once that’s figured out, the size, mobility and hardness of Maveric Lamoureux and Noah Warren fit into this team well.

Team USA (Bultman)
1691428274543.png

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Same reason Smith and Leonard arent together? If they do anything remotely close to what they did last year as a line Perrault should be there too
Gauthier Hagens Snuggerud
Perreault Smith Leonard
McGroarty Nazar Brindley
Howard Stramel Moore
Nelson

Can we all agree that Sweden’s team is going to be nasty this year?

Ohgren-Ostlund-Lekkerimaki
Carlsson-Bystedt-Pettersson
Stenberg-Edstrom-Sorum
Suzdalev-Wagner-Born

Odelius-Havelid
Salomonsson-Sandin Pellikka
Noren-Willander

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Good lord, those kids on Team Canada are going to cringe when they look back on those photos in 5-10 years. With the exception of Mateychuk and Luneau they all look like enormous DBs. My money is on the American boys, just based on the douche factor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gauthier Hagens Snuggerud
Perreault Smith Leonard
McGroarty Nazar Brindley
Howard Stramel Moore
Nelson

Can we all agree that Sweden’s team is going to be nasty this year?

Ohgren-Ostlund-Lekkerimaki
Carlsson-Bystedt-Pettersson
Stenberg-Edstrom-Sorum
Suzdalev-Wagner-Born

Odelius-Havelid
Salomonsson-Sandin Pellikka
Noren-Willander

Sweden does look great. Carlsson and Bystedt was a great combo last time + a reunion of the Djurgardens trio that tore up the U18s.

Makes a lot more sense to me. Familiarity in a short tournament is huge

At that point they'll probably have familiarity with Gauthier too as college linemates, and he's a much better player than Perreault at this point.

Smith - Gauthier - Leonard

Who is listed at center isn't the most important here, because Gauthier and Leonard will probably do more of the center work regardless.

Good lord, those kids on Team Canada are going to cringe when they look back on those photos in 5-10 years. With the exception of Mateychuk and Luneau they all look like enormous DBs. My money is on the American boys, just based on the douche factor.

You can ease off calling kids douches because you don't like their hair.

That and you have poor taste if you don't appreciate flow in hockey. Like Zach Benson looks great. And Barlow isn't cringing at anything in 5-10 years, he obviously has a good sense of humor about it.

Reactions: LJ7

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Sweden does look great. Carlsson and Bystedt was a great combo last time + a reunion of the Djurgardens trio that tore up the U18s.

At that point they'll probably have familiarity with Gauthier too as college linemates, and he's a much better player than Perreault at this point.

Who is listed at center isn't the most important here, because Gauthier and Leonard will probably do more of the center work regardless.

That and you have poor taste if you don't appreciate flow in hockey. Like Zach Benson looks great. And Barlow isn't cringing at anything in 5-10 years, he obviously has a good sense of humor about it.

^ banned in 15 countries

Reactions: LJ7 and Monk

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

Having long hair and looking like a douche bag are two different things. I'll stand with my call, the American kids look cool and the Canadians look like douche bags.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Having long hair and looking like a douche bag are two different things. I'll stand with my call, the American kids look cool and the Canadians look like douche bags.
I cant wait until they are "douche bags" with gold medals around their necks

Last edited:

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020

Pronman's projected Team Canada roster

Team USA (Bultman)
View attachment 734181
Is Hagens over Eiserman a surprise? I don't have the scouting juice to follow prospects heavily until their draft years, so I've just heard about him peripherally.

I am also Canadian, so I don't hear the same hype on Hagens up here as I would if he were Canadian (its uncanny how the Canadian hype train on Celebrini starts like the day after Bedard is drafted, Michael Misa not far behind).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Is Hagens over Eiserman a surprise? I don't have the scouting juice to follow prospects heavily until their draft years, so I've just heard about him peripherally.
I haven't studied either player carefully enough to answer that. For now I only care about CBJ prospects (and potential future CBJ prospects, but Hagens and Eiserman will likely be drafted higher than where the Jackets will pick in the next two drafts)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I am also Canadian, so I don't hear the same hype on Hagens up here as I would if he were Canadian (its uncanny how the Canadian hype train on Celebrini starts like the day after Bedard is drafted, Michael Misa not far behind).
For starters, Pronman only projected the Canadian roster. Max Bultman projected the US roster and Scott Wheeler projected the Finnish and Swedish rosters. Max was challenged in the comments section about his picking Hagens over Eiserman and I am not going to quote him word for word but his response was:
  1. Hagens is a late birthday so although this will be his D-1 year, he is insignificantly two months younger than Eiserman age wise.
  2. Bultman argues that if Hagens was in his draft year now it would be a three way race at the top of the draft and that Hagens is a legit candidate for #1OA in his draft year.
  3. Eiserman a winger and Hagens a center and even Perreault is a bubble winger the group is so deep.
  4. During summer camp, Hagens was consistently centering lines with Brindley, McGroarty, Snuggerud and Gauthier while Eiserman's line mates were Stramel, Whitelaw and Kaplan. He feels the higher ups were more interested in Hagens.
Obviously anything can change but I don't think Bultman was looking for clicks with this selection.

Side note: Just another Long Island kid showing skillz (not me of course...I cannot even skate). LIU recently went D1 in hockey. If they can keep kids home on The Island, they could be pretty competitive fairly quickly (once they figure out their arena quandary of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I thought people would be interested. The group was asked about a hypothetical Soviet squad and Scott Wheeler responded:

They’d have Michkov, Demidov, But, Suniev, Kantserov, Miroshnichenko, Trikozov, Rykov, Perevalov, Dolzhenkov, Kvochko, etc. available to them up front. Unfortunately Yurov and Buchelnikov would be a little too old, but it would be a talented forward group (though more on the wings than at centre).

Would be strong on defence with Simashev, Gulyayev, Duda, Komarov, etc., even with Mintyukov, Grudinin, Orlov, a couple others barely aging out.

Goalie would probably be Ivanov, as it was at U18 Worlds.

Really good team. Medal contender, for sure.

[No surprise we would be repped by Dolzhenkov and Ivanov].

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I will start by saying...I think it is wonderful we can have this conversation without people calling other people names or getting hostile. We are clearly not all going to agree on this topic...especially considering we are not all North Americans and may see the geo-politics of this differently.

It is possible to feel bad for the kids while agreeing with the decision the IIHF made. Playing Devil's Advocate with a hypothetical...

...if Russia had invaded and devastated Finland instead of Ukraine and Finland were to be unable to participate in the upcoming U20s because its kids were living in a war town country with no skating facilities in which to practice, would it still be appropriate for Russia to participate in the championships? Should there be an asterisk next to the tournament's winner's name because Finland couldn't play? Is this only unfair because Ukraine does not have a Tier 1 U20 team so it shouldn't affect the tournament?

This is like when people here bitch that gas has jumped to over $3 per gallon while the people of Ukraine who had been living peaceful lives 15 months ago had to spend an entire frigid winter not knowing if they would have heat, water, electricity or food, It's terribly unfortunate the Russian hockey kids are caught up in a geo-political war they had nothing to do with. I'd say it's an exceedingly minor inconveniece compared to the devastating hardships all the Ukrainian kids are dealing with in a geo-political war they had nothing to do with either.

There are consequences to actions (and in the grand scheme of things this is a very minor consequence). A country has chosen to make itself a pariah in the world and a majority of the world has responded. I am sure Ivanov and Dolzhenkov will be just fine.

Athletes of ALL nations should be able to compete in the sport that they have invested their lives in. The NHL is the pro league that the vast majority of top talent hockey players aim to play in.

Do any of you actually think that the Russian upcoming players are some kind of propaganda robot attack device for the former USSR?

The opportunity for individual athletes to participate in sports should never be blocked by their nationality, and it’s their right to do so.

Politics in sports is nothing but weaponizing it. Burn the flags and let the best meet the best.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Athletes of ALL nations should be able to compete in the sport that they have invested their lives in. The NHL is the pro league that the vast majority of top talent hockey players aim to play in.
feels extremely weird to be having this conversation on hfboards of all places, but: no one is stopping russian athletes from playing their sport. the IIHF didn't shut down the KHL.

international competitions, on the other hand, are friendly events for the international community to come together within the context of sports. russia's aggression against ukraine shows that they are not a friendly nation within that community, so it does not make sense to extend them an invitation to participate in such an event.

this is the same country that also violated the sporting part of those agreements with their state-sanctioned doping program, which led to their athletes not being able to compete under their flag at the olympics. i get that these two things don't have to do with each other, but both russia as a nation and russia as a sporting body do not deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

i get that it's a bummer to have two fewer prospects at WJCs but this just kinda is what it is at this point.

Do any of you actually think that the Russian upcoming players are some kind of propaganda robot attack device for the former USSR?
no one is accusing the players of that. it is completely understandable, though, why the IIHF would not want to risk the optics of having russia win their most-watched hockey tournament while it is in the midst of a war against a nation who also fields a team in that tournament.
The opportunity for individual athletes to participate in sports should never be blocked by their nationality, and it’s their right to do so.
it's disingenuous to frame the IIHF's rules as specifically targeting individual players based on nationality. this is much different than, say, the CHL banning russian players from entry – THAT decision was blocking individual athletes based on nationality.

the IIHF's decision here is not even remotely the same thing: it is blocking a team from participating in a tournament they run. it is an international event; participating nations need to meet the criteria in order to participate (i.e. being a member of the international community in good standing); russia simply does not meet that criteria now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad