GDT: The 2024 World Junior Championship Thread || Gothenburg, Sweden || Dec 26th - Jan 5th

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
feels extremely weird to be having this conversation on hfboards of all places, but: no one is stopping russian athletes from playing their sport. the IIHF didn't shut down the KHL.

international competitions, on the other hand, are friendly events for the international community to come together within the context of sports. russia's aggression against ukraine shows that they are not a friendly nation within that community, so it does not make sense to extend them an invitation to participate in such an event.

this is the same country that also violated the sporting part of those agreements with their state-sanctioned doping program, which led to their athletes not being able to compete under their flag at the olympics. i get that these two things don't have to do with each other, but both russia as a nation and russia as a sporting body do not deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

i get that it's a bummer to have two fewer prospects at WJCs but this just kinda is what it is at this point.

no one is accusing the players of that. it is completely understandable, though, why the IIHF would not want to risk the optics of having russia win their most-watched hockey tournament while it is in the midst of a war against a nation who also fields a team in that tournament.

it's disingenuous to frame the IIHF's rules as specifically targeting individual players based on nationality. this is much different than, say, the CHL banning russian players from entry – THAT decision was blocking individual athletes based on nationality.

the IIHF's decision here is not even remotely the same thing: it is blocking a team from participating in a tournament they run. it is an international event; participating nations need to meet the criteria in order to participate (i.e. being a member of the international community in good standing); russia simply does not meet that criteria now.

I’ll just agree to disagree. There is no point with national tournaments when you bring politics into it. There is way too much hypocrisy around the subject from all parts in international events. It’s just fluff.

Disclaimer, the Russian “special operation” is horrific evil, as are several other past and ongoing acts of evil committed by other nations. This is pure weaponizing against a specific nation, that will have no effect on the outcome of the conflict.

Throw your guns at it, but leave sports alone. It ain’t an international competition between athletes if it isn’t international. Every top athlete of any nation competing deserves the chance to compete in it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there any appetite for a compromise where Russian athletes can participate as "athletes from Russia"?

I'd like to see that but I recognize that many won't find that acceptable. You'll still have some players from other countries saying they won't play if Russian athletes are allowed to play.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is there any appetite for a compromise where Russian athletes can participate as "athletes from Russia"?

I'd like to see that but I recognize that many won't find that acceptable. You'll still have some players from other countries saying they won't play if Russian athletes are allowed to play.
Without saying too much Ill just say the banning of Russia is stupid to begin with

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Until you have Russian athletes promoting the war on podiums...

Yes I understand that most of the players aren't like that, but it only takes one bad apple to ruin it for everyone.

How about setting rules that ban players who make political statements? It’s about sport, not politics. Hard line.

Using athletes as collateral damage is plain hipocrasy from the world powers, since they all commit horrific and condemnable war crimes, if we are being honest. Critical thinking seems absent and even if the decision makers realize this (I’m sure many do), they bend to pressure and decisions are made from what can be described as populism…

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I’ll just agree to disagree. There is no point with national tournaments when you bring politics into it. There is way too much hypocrisy around the subject from all parts in international events. It’s just fluff.
international tournaments are, by definition, international events. like it or not, politics are baked-in by default.
Disclaimer, the Russian “special operation” is horrific evil, as are several other past and ongoing acts of evil committed by other nations. This is pure weaponizing against a specific nation, that will have no effect on the outcome of the conflict.
excluding russia from an international tournament because they initiated conflict with and are committing war crimes against another member of the international community is a sensible symbolic gesture, and when it comes to international bodies – sports or otherwise – everything is symbolic. the IIHF isn't trying to have an impact on the conflict.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
international tournaments are, by definition, international events. like it or not, politics are baked-in by default.

excluding russia from an international tournament because they initiated conflict with and are committing war crimes against another member of the international community is a sensible symbolic gesture, and when it comes to international bodies – sports or otherwise – everything is symbolic. the IIHF isn't trying to have an impact on the conflict.

Following that logic the USA and GB should have been banned from tournaments countless times as well? And those are just two blatant examples of nations breaking international laws on warfare on false premises. Be real. There should be no space for politics in sports when it comes to participation. If you can’t see the vulgar hipocrasy on display here, I suggest you imagine looking at this whole spectacle from an aliens view without preconcieved views on good guys/bad guys, because they’re all bad.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Following that logic the USA and GB should have been banned from tournaments countless times as well? And those are just two blatant examples of nations breaking international laws on warfare on false premises. Be real. There should be no space for politics in sports when it comes to participation. If you can’t see the vulgar hipocrasy on display here, I suggest you imagine looking at this whole spectacle from an aliens view without preconcieved views on good guys/bad guys, because they’re all bad.
An alien might not even think or perceive or rationalize or cognize the way humans do so I don’t think that’s a reasonable ask.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Sports is a political tool for Russia, has always been. Allowing Russia to participate is not acceptable, because it gives Putins regime legitimacy. That regime is murdering people. They can consider themselves lucky they're even allowed to play the sport in other countries. Absolute hell no to any games under their flag. They should be dead to everyone until they've left Ukraine and paid massive reparations.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Sports is a political tool for Russia, has always been. Allowing Russia to participate is not acceptable, because it gives Putins regime legitimacy. That regime is murdering people. They can consider themselves lucky they're even allowed to play the sport in other countries. Absolute hell no to any games under their flag. They should be dead to everyone until they've left Ukraine and paid massive reparations.

I’d be fine with it if the same rules applied to all countries, but we all know that that is not the case.

I’m curious, would you be as passionately against USA participating in or playing under their flag? Are all people equal, or some more equal than others? I switched Russia/USA on your post to demonstrate my point. Would you have the same opinion then, or would you just ignore the politics and let team USA participate and spread their propaganda?

“Sports is a political tool for USA, has always been. Allowing USA to participate is not acceptable, because it gives the US regime legitimacy. That regime is murdering people. They can consider themselves lucky they're even allowed to play the sport in other countries. Absolute hell no to any games under their flag. They should be dead to everyone until they've left Iraq and paid massive reparations.”

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well done, HFCBJ, on this topic, but it's time to close it up and stick to the hockey. From here, posts of a primarily political nature (yes, determined by the mods) will be deleted. Probably at that point we would need to remove the existing and heretofore mostly-reasonable non-hockey conversation too. Subsequent posts would be of course subject to warnings/infractions.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Has anyone here been to a WJC?

It’s a bucket list item for me, though I’m hoping to go when the USA hosts. I thought I remember a rumor about Vegas hosting one soon? But from what I’ve seen online St Louis is making a strong push for 2026.

I wonder if Columbus ever would get considered to host? NWA, the Schott, New Arena, even could put some money into Taft and it would be fun for lower level games.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Has anyone here been to a WJC?

It’s a bucket list item for me, though I’m hoping to go when the USA hosts. I thought I remember a rumor about Vegas hosting one soon? But from what I’ve seen online St Louis is making a strong push for 2026.

I wonder if Columbus ever would get considered to host? NWA, the Schott, New Arena, even could put some money into Taft and it would be fun for lower level games.
Yes, but it was 20 years ago! It was a blast and would like to get to a European one at some point. I had tickets to the 2021 tourney in Edmonton, but got a ticket refund when they decided to do the 'bubble' and not have fans due to the pandemic.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Mateychuk and Dumais to take part in Team Canada's Summer Meetings... Fantilli was also invited but will not participate.

Michael BuchingerL5'11"18404/25/04Markham, ONGuelph (OHL)STL 2022 (3/88)
Lucas CagnoniR5'9"18212/21/04Burnaby, BCPortland (WHL)SJ 2023 (4/123)
Jorian DonovanL6'1"18504/05/04Calgary, ABHamilton (OHL)OTT 2022 (5/136)
Jake FurlongL6'0"18701/15/03Upper Tantallon, NSHalifax (LHJMQ)SJ 2022 (5/140)
Isaiah GeorgeL6'0"19602/15/04Oakville, ONLondon (OHL)NYI 2022 (4/98)
Kevin KorchinskiL6'2"18706/21/04Saskatoon, SKSeattle (WHL)CHI 2022 (1/7)
Maveric LamoureuxR6'6"19901/13/04Hawkesbury, ONDrummondville (LHJMQ)ARI 2022 (1/29)
Tristan LuneauR6'1"19401/12/04Victoriaville, QCGatineau (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/53)
Denton MateychukL5'11"18907/12/04Dominion City, MBMoose Jaw (WHL)CBJ 2022 (1/12)
Ty NelsonR5'10"20403/30/04Toronto, ONNorth Bay (OHL)SEA 2022 (3/68)
Owen PickeringL6'4"18201/27/04St. Adolphe, MBSwift Current (WHL)PIT 2022 (1/21)
Pier-Olivier RoyL5'10"16503/05/04Adstock, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)2024 Draft/Rep.
Spencer SovaL6'0"18501/10/04Windsor, ONErie (OHL)2024 Draft/Rep.
Noah WarrenR6'5"22307/15/04St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QCVictoriaville (LHJMQ)ANA 2022 (2/42)

My early guess is Korchinski will be 1LD on the final roster. Competition for Mateychuk to make the top-6 (likely 2nd or 3rd pair LD, I guess) doesn't look that overwhelming on paper but there some names that can surprise and outperform him, Pickering for example.
Early season stats for Canadian LHDs in the CHL:

5'11 Buchinger 3+10 in 10gp, 41 SOG
6'1 Donovan 2+6 in 9gp, 24 SOG
6'0 George 3+2 in 11gp, 21 SOG
6'0 Sova 4+2 in 8gp, 34 SOG
6'0 Furlong 0+6 in 11gp, 25 SOG
5'10 Roy 3+6 in 13gp, 34 SOG
6'4 Pickering 1+4 in 7gp, 16 SOG

5'11 Mateychuk 0+11 in 7gp, 10 SOG

Reactions: Cowumbus

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I added Oiva Keskinen as a possible selection for Finland’s WJC team; as he was selected for their 5 Nation Tournament team.

Keskinen is currently playing at a 24 NHLPe, which is pretty good for a 7th rounder.

This is his only year left of WJC eligibility.

Also from what I’ve seen, I’d say the odds Andrew Strathmann makes the US team are low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad