GDT: The 2024 World Junior Championship Thread || Gothenburg, Sweden || Dec 26th - Jan 5th

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Groups:
A - Canada, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Latvia
B - USA, Slovakia, Czechia, Swiss, Norway

Full Schedule:
Dec 26th
6 Slovakia vs 2 Czechia, 2 Finland vs 5 Canada, 4 USA vs 1 Norway, 6 Sweden vs 0 Latvia
Dec 27th
3 Slovakia vs 0 Swiss, 3 Finland vs 4 Germany, 1 Norway vs 8 Czechia, 0 Latvia vs 10 Canada
Dec 28th
3 Swiss vs 11 USA, 0 Germany vs 5 Sweden
Dec 29th
4 Norway vs 8 Slovakia, 0 Latvia vs 4 Finland, 3 Czechia vs 4 USA, 0 Canada vs 2 Sweden
Dec 30
6 Swiss vs 2 Norway, 2 Germany vs 6 Latvia
Dec 31st
10 USA vs 2 Slovakia, 4 Sweden vs 5 Finland, 4 Czechia vs 2 Swiss, 6 Canada vs 3 Germany
Jan 2nd
3am - A5 vs B5 (relegation)
6am - QF vs QF
8:30am - QF vs QF
11am - QF vs QF
1:30pm - QF vs QF
Jan 4th
5am - B5 vs A5 (relegation)
9am - SF vs SF
1:30pm - SF vs SF
Jan 5th
5am - A5 vs B5 (relegation) *if necessary
9am - Bronze Medal Game
1:30pm - Gold Medal Game

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
CBJ prospects aging out:
David Jiricek Czechia
Cole Sillinger Canada
Stanislav Svozil Czechia
Corson Ceulemans Canada
Luca Del Bel Belluz Canada
Guillaume Richard Canada
Nikolai Makarov Rus
James Malatesta Canada
Martin Rysavy Czechia
Aidan Hreschuk USA

CBJ Russians who would be at the WJC:
Sergei Ivanov Rus

CBJ prospects expected to play:
Denton Mateychuk Canada
Jordan Dumais Canada
Gavin Brindley USA

CBJ prospects with a chance to play:
Oiva Keskinen Finland

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Top 2024 NHL prospects with a chance to play in the WJC:
Macklin Celebrini C Canada
Cole Eiserman C/LW USA
Aron Kiviharju LD Finland
Jakub Chromial RD Slovakia
Adam Jiricek RD Czechia
David Svozil LW Czechia

Last edited:
Reactions: Michigan Magic

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Cole Eiserman C/LW USA
Adam Jiricek RD Czechia
Should D. Svozil be qualified as a top prospect?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Cole Eiserman C/LW USA
Adam Jiricek RD Czechia
David Svozil LW Czechia
My nephew-in-law was at Nationals last year in Michigan (my great-nephew was playing) and he got to see Eiserman play and was absolutely floored by the kid's talent.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

I could care less about your political views on it all, but Russia being at the WJC is great for hockey.

I think it's unrealistic to try and separate sports from politics in the world we currently live in. I heard a new term today in regards to the LIV vs PGA standoff. "Sportswashing": Saudi Arabia trying to "sport wash" its terrible record on human rights by buying a professional soccer team and now pro golf tour. Saudi Arabia wants to sponsor the Women's World Cup which is crazy considering its restrictions on women in the country in general. Sportswashing.

I am not looking to pick a fight but I think people are generally OK with politics in sports as long as they agree with the political position being pushed. Example: the same people who were angry about Colin Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem would probably be the same people who say Ivan Provorov had every right to not participate in "Hockey is for Everyone" festivities. Both are making a political statement, either its OK or its not.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I think it's unrealistic to try and separate sports from politics in the world we currently live in. I heard a new term today in regards to the LIV vs PGA standoff. "Sportswashing": Saudi Arabia trying to "sport wash" its terrible record on human rights by buying a professional soccer team and now pro golf tour. Saudi Arabia wants to sponsor the Women's World Cup which is crazy considering its restrictions on women in the country in general. Sportswashing.

I am not looking to pick a fight but I think people are generally OK with politics in sports as long as they agree with the political position being pushed. Example: the same people who were angry about Colin Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem would probably be the same people who say Ivan Provorov had every right to not participate in "Hockey is for Everyone" festivities. Both are making a political statement, either its OK or its not.
Honestly I am one who hopes for no politics in sports. I don’t need Miltary appreciation night, Hockey is for everyone or any of that stuff (not saying either are bad). I could care less if you sit or stand for the anthem, wear a jersey, that’s up to you.

But not letting kids play (many whom are not old enough to vote) in a one in a lifetime type setting to me is sad.

I understand your point. However I also understand there are differences in culture around the world. Not one is right, so it’s hard for me to throw stones. They might not align with my worldview/values but that is OK that people think/value things different than I.

I don’t agree with the all stances my company takes, but I can live with collecting a paycheck from them. LIV tour guys right or wrong are probably in a “similar” scenario.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Honestly I am one who hopes for no politics in sports. I don’t need Miltary appreciation night, Hockey is for everyone or any of that stuff (not saying either are bad). I could care less if you sit or stand for the anthem, wear a jersey, that’s up to you.

But not letting kids play (many whom are not old enough to vote) in a one in a lifetime type setting to me is sad.

I understand your point. However I also understand there are differences in culture around the world. Not one is right, so it’s hard for me to throw stones. They might not align with my worldview/values but that is OK that people think/value things different than I.
It's just impossible, especially when players of those countries start making political statements at the games. While I do agree that the tourny without Russia isn't the same, it's just not something you can ignore for ratings and money.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
It's just impossible, especially when players of those countries start making political statements at the games. While I do agree that the tourny without Russia isn't the same, it's just not something you can ignore for ratings and money.
I just have a hard time understanding why Russians in the NHL are supported, but kids playing in a tournament for Russia is not.

At least let them play as “World Junior Athletes from Russia” or something similar. Does that make any sense?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I just have a hard time understanding why Russians in the NHL are okay, but kids playing in a tournament for Russia is not.

At least let them play as “World Junior Athletes from Russia” or something similar. Does that make any sense?
I mean you hit the nail on the head with your comment.

In the NHL Russian players are only representing themselves and the team they play for. They can feel however they want as long as they don't express it.

In international play you are not representing yourself, but the country and it's views. Whether you agree with them or not.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I mean you hit the nail on the head with your comment.

In the NHL Russian players are only representing themselves and the team they play for. They can feel however they want as long as they don't express it.

In international play you are not representing yourself, but the country and it's views. Whether you agree with them or not.
Not sure I agree with that, but I understand your point I guess.

Kneeling at the WJC for instance, I would interpret as not agreeing - which would be a personal view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
It appears to be official, Russia is not being invited to the 2023-2024 World Juniors tournament.

“Based on a detailed risk assessment from a renowned company that specializes in assessing risks due to various global challenges, the IIHF Council determined that it is not yet safe to reincorporate the Russian and Belarusian Teams back into IIHF Competitions, and that it will not be safe for the upcoming 2023/2024 IIHF Championship season. Therefore, the IIHF will move forward with the 2023/2024 IIHF Championship season without the Russian and Belarusian Teams,” the IIHF said in a release.

Reactions: pete goegan

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
It appears to be official, Russia is not being invited to the 2023-2024 World Juniors tournament.

“Based on a detailed risk assessment from a renowned company that specializes in assessing risks due to various global challenges, the IIHF Council determined that it is not yet safe to reincorporate the Russian and Belarusian Teams back into IIHF Competitions, and that it will not be safe for the upcoming 2023/2024 IIHF Championship season. Therefore, the IIHF will move forward with the 2023/2024 IIHF Championship season without the Russian and Belarusian Teams,” the IIHF said in a release.
That sucks.
This was the last year of eligibility for Ivanov, Dolzhenkov.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I will start by saying...I think it is wonderful we can have this conversation without people calling other people names or getting hostile. We are clearly not all going to agree on this topic...especially considering we are not all North Americans and may see the geo-politics of this differently.

It is possible to feel bad for the kids while agreeing with the decision the IIHF made. Playing Devil's Advocate with a hypothetical...

...if Russia had invaded and devastated Finland instead of Ukraine and Finland were to be unable to participate in the upcoming U20s because its kids were living in a war town country with no skating facilities in which to practice, would it still be appropriate for Russia to participate in the championships? Should there be an asterisk next to the tournament's winner's name because Finland couldn't play? Is this only unfair because Ukraine does not have a Tier 1 U20 team so it shouldn't affect the tournament?

This is like when people here bitch that gas has jumped to over $3 per gallon while the people of Ukraine who had been living peaceful lives 15 months ago had to spend an entire frigid winter not knowing if they would have heat, water, electricity or food, It's terribly unfortunate the Russian hockey kids are caught up in a geo-political war they had nothing to do with. I'd say it's an exceedingly minor inconveniece compared to the devastating hardships all the Ukrainian kids are dealing with in a geo-political war they had nothing to do with either.

There are consequences to actions (and in the grand scheme of things this is a very minor consequence). A country has chosen to make itself a pariah in the world and a majority of the world has responded. I am sure Ivanov and Dolzhenkov will be just fine.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Stupid, punishing kids because of their government's behavior
Their government is killing and destroying the lives of ukrainians, including kids and hockey players. There's no other way to deal with this than to punish the entire country to create general dissatisfaction of their government's actions.

Reactions: CBJx614

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Their government is killing and destroying the lives of ukrainians, including kids and hockey players. There's no other way to deal with this than to punish the entire country to create general dissatisfaction of their government's actions.
I'm well aware of the situation their government has put that area of the world in and I can still feel bad for the kids that don't get the opportunity to play internationally because of it.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm well aware of the situation their government has put that area of the world in and I can still feel bad for the kids that don't get the opportunity to play internationally because of it.
I feel bad for them too. Calling the decision stupid was my issue, since it's still the only right call to make in the current situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad