Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Kinda like heroin used to be available for everyone from the pharmacy, and prescribed for basically everything.

Things changed some times after WW2

You say this as if it’s a crazy thought, morphine is not that much different than heroin and is used just about everywhere someone needs pain relief for whatever reason

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Isn't marijuana considered a PED?

I think it's mostly used to mask the use of PED's from what i've read but not ittself a PED . Often considered to be an indicator of PED usage . I think at this point it's not considered as PED anymore at least not by everybody

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Being ‘true’ in your mind has nothing to do with the objective reality being that it is not true

We don’t just invent our own realities and then impose it on everyone else.

Once someone is addicted, the drugs do take over a large amount of control. What people are telling you is that becoming addicted itself is a choice you made. It’s a choice all addicts make.

Somehow, I’ve managed to not become addicted. Do you know why? Because of choices I made to say, not stick a needle full of heroin into my arms.

See how easy that is?
Was with you up until the last two paragraphs. You might have been better to say you were just plain lucky. That is unless you’ve never even tried a drink of alcohol, a line of coke, made a bet, or whatever else can cause people to go down a road that few would do again with the benefit of hindsight.

The choices people make are our own. As are the repercussions of same - regardless of whether they are made under the influence or completely sober.

At the risk of hyperbole though, nobody of sane mind “chooses” to be an addict. Nobody.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
As an addict it's more complicated then that. I'm powerless over alcohol but it's absolutely a choice I make to stay sober today and every day. Being an addict isn't a choice. Genetic predisposition and a bunch of other factors. Getting and staying sober is the choice.

You didn’t wake up one morning and say “my genetics are telling me to drink a bottle of vodka”

You abused a substance and that lead to you becoming physically addicted to it

Had you not abused the substance in the first place, you would not have become addicted to it

There aren’t alcoholics out there who have never had a drink

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Was with you up until the last two paragraphs. You might have been better to say you were just plain lucky. That is unless you’ve never even tried a drink of alcohol, a line of coke, made a bet, or whatever else can cause people to go down a road that few would do again with the benefit of hindsight.

The choices people make are our own. As are the repercussions of same - regardless of whether they are made under the influence or completely sober.

At the risk of hyperbole though, nobody of sane mind “chooses” to be an addict. Nobody.

Here’s a good tip. If you do something once and you like it so much you want to do it the next day, that’s an easy point to realize it’s dangerous for you and to not do it the next day

If you abuse a substance and you become addicted to it, you’re not a victim of circumstance and you’re not a victim of genetics. You are a victim of yourself

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Are "all the people who want Nichuskin banned" in the room with us right now?

Reality is he won't need to be banned. He won't have any takers from GMs around the league once his contract is rescinded, and he'll be in the KHL by this time next year.
Don't think his contract can be rescinded unless he refuses to follow the NHL's guidelines for this stage of the substance abuse program.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You say this as if it’s a crazy thought, morphine is not that much different than heroin and is used just about everywhere someone needs pain relief for whatever reason

Well Heroin was developed as a morphine substitute so yeah it does. Only turned out even more addictive than Morphine. Like even the name Heroine was used because it enables you to heroically endure massive amounts of pain

So how about some Heroin for your cough guys ?

Attachments

• Drug_store_sign_for_products_Heroin_and_Aspirin_before_US_Heroin_ban_1924.jpg
    Drug_store_sign_for_products_Heroin_and_Aspirin_before_US_Heroin_ban_1924.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: LOFIN

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
A lot of people get into party drugs and keep doing them. NHL has basically normalized them in the last decade. Look for there to be a scandal like there was in baseball in the 80s as soon as public view of drug use becomes less lenient (it’s already happening).

Yes addiction is disease but how about not experimenting with stuff that is known to be addictive in the first place.
Everyone has the ability to make smart choices. His choices were not. Hope the Avalanche move on from him.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sure, opioids and methamphetamines are used in modern medicen as well. But you can’t just walk to the nearest pharmacy and buy it like Aspirin or something for heartburn. Back in the days you could.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sure, opioids and methamphetamines are used in modern medicen as well. But you can’t just walk to the nearest pharmacy and buy it like Aspirin or something for heartburn.

You just need a time machine to go 100 years back and you're golden.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Don't think his contract can be rescinded unless he refuses to follow the NHL's guidelines for this stage of the substance abuse program.
The NHL is doing their part with the Player's Assistance program. But the contract between Colorado Avalanche <> Nuke can be terminated at any time if there's a breach of contract. Phoenix terminated their contract with Ruzicka no problem. I expect the same thing to happen here.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Here’s a good tip. If you do something once and you like it so much you want to do it the next day, that’s an easy point to realize it’s dangerous for you and to not do it the next day

If you abuse a substance and you become addicted to it, you’re not a victim of circumstance and you’re not a victim of genetics. You are a victim of yourself
You won’t see me espousing about Astrophysics. Why? Because I don’t know anything about it and have no experience with same.

I sense this might be the case in terms of addiction with you. It sounds like you have no experience with it, or have anyone close to you that does.

Your take on this is overly simplistic and belies the complexity of chemistry and human behavior. In many cases addiction is not an on/off switch that fits your analysis.

It ain’t about will power. Sorry.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Sure, opioids and methamphetamines are used in modern medicen as well. But you can’t just walk to the nearest pharmacy and buy it like Aspirin or something for heartburn. Back in the days you could.

No, you cant

But the point I was making was that using heroin for medical purposes isn’t really that far out as how we use morphine right now

Just look at the opioid addiction crisis. I’d say that’s crazier than anything else

I don’t remember a heroin crisis in the early 1900’s. Maybe there was one, I’m not sure.

But we have much bigger opioid problems now than they ever did back then.

That was more my point, thinking it’s somehow more civilized now or whatever. But it’s not lol

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Being ‘true’ in your mind has nothing to do with the objective reality being that it is not true

We don’t just invent our own realities and then impose it on everyone else.

Once someone is addicted, the drugs do take over a large amount of control. What people are telling you is that becoming addicted itself is a choice you made. It’s a choice all addicts make.

Somehow, I’ve managed to not become addicted. Do you know why? Because of choices I made to say, not stick a needle full of heroin into my arms.

See how easy that is?
Being false in your mind is the same as your theory. I'm not imposing anything on anybody, say the way you are imposing your condescending attitude on me

Addicts don't choose the disease. The disease chooses them. A lot of alcohol addiction is genetic.

Since you obviously can't engage without talking down to me why don't we just break camp from each other

See how easy that is?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You won’t see me espousing about Astrophysics. Why? Because I don’t know anything about it and have no experience with same.

I sense this might be the case in terms of addiction with you. It sounds like you have no experience with it, or have anyone close to you that does.

Your take on this is overly simplistic and belies the complexity of chemistry and human behavior. In many cases addiction is not an on/off switch that fits your analysis.

It ain’t about will power. Sorry.

I think you’re missing the point entirely here

If this player has a substance abuse issue, it’s his own fault for developing that issue. There was a time when he wasn’t abusing substances, and then he decided to start. It is very simple, I don’t know why you’re trying to complicate it for no reason.

If you can’t explain something in a simple way, I’d say you’re the one who doesn’t really understand it

Being false in your mind is the same as your theory. I'm not imposing anything on anybody, say the way you are imposing your condescending attitude on me

Addicts don't choose the disease. The disease chooses them. A lot of alcohol addiction is genetic.

Since you obviously can't engage without talking down to me why don't we just break camp from each other

Look man, I just expect people to take some personal responsibility. I’m not talking down to you

I don’t agree with this “it’s not my fault” attitude about things.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No, you cant

But the point I was making was that using heroin for medical purposes isn’t really that far out as how we use morphine right now

Just look at the opioid addiction crisis. I’d say that’s crazier than anything else

I don’t remember a heroin crisis in the early 1900’s. Maybe there was one, I’m not sure.

But we have much bigger opioid problems now than they ever did back then.

That was more my point, thinking it’s somehow more civilized now or whatever. But it’s not lol

Well

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The real question is, is there a stage 4? 5?
Unlockable achievement?

Common... I can't cope with so much unknowns.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think you’re missing the point entirely here

If this player has a substance abuse issue, it’s his own fault for developing that issue. There was a time when he wasn’t abusing substances, and then he decided to start. It is very simple, I don’t know why you’re trying to complicate it for no reason.

If you can’t explain something in a simple way, I’d say you’re the one who doesn’t really understand it

Look man, I just expect people to take some personal responsibility. I’m not talking down to you

I don’t agree with this “it’s not my fault” attitude about things.
Never said it wasn't his fault. He used, he pays the piper. No work no pay for half a year is the consequence. I never said an addict shouldn't take accountability. I just said, an addict doesn't choose to be addicted

I'll say that a great explanation of the nature of it is found in what is known as the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous. It the chapter called the Dr's Opinion. Easily googled for anyone interested

God Bless You man---Enjoy the rest of the playoffs!

Reactions: dukeofjive

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Do you care to summarize?

Around 1 in 200 Americans had problems with Opiate addiction back then . Mostly from By morphine and opium powders .
15 percent of all prescriptions dispensed where Opiates .

It was mostly ignored until the typical user and addict changed from old lady taking that shit at home and withering away to young guys shooting themselves up with heroin in the streets.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The NHL is doing their part with the Player's Assistance program. But the contract between Colorado Avalanche <> Nuke can be terminated at any time if there's a breach of contract. Phoenix terminated their contract with Ruzicka no problem. I expect the same thing to happen here.
Was Ruzicka in the the program though?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Suspended for minimum 6 months without pay for failing drugs test.
What drugs came up in his system?

As an addict it's more complicated then that. I'm powerless over alcohol but it's absolutely a choice I make to stay sober today and every day. Being an addict isn't a choice. Genetic predisposition and a bunch of other factors. Getting and staying sober is the choice.
I here that Magic Mushroom therapy has been known to combat addictive behaviors quite successivefully

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Obviously not, but it's also maybe a bit too lenient how everyone is wishing him well, and condemning the league, for a lengthy suspension after he repeatedly let his teammates and family down. I brought up a stark contrast how some first world modern countries have 0 tolerance for drugs, not that we should emulate them.
It's clearly a person who is struggling with addiction. I think wishing him well is the least we can do. It's one of those things where we don't really know what led him to use drugs and what may be going on behind the scenes. Who knows what else he is going through.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad