NHL Entry Draft The 2023-24 Tank Command Thread

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
As much as i want us us to move some pieces for more solid 2 way guys, i dont think it makes sense. We already have those guys in the org in Pinto and Greig.

Trade tank(if he'll go for it) and kubalik, both with max retention. Try to ink church, but if he wont go for it, move him sooner rather than later.

Draft with all our picks at the draft and restock the cupboards.

Add a responsible middle 6 player in the off season and a responsible bottom 4 dman.

If any of those picks crack the roster, sell high on another guy they make expendable.

Basically, don't panic and stay the course. I dont see what else we can do. I dont think the roster is the problem.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
Drinking Belini for Celebrini

1704970008523.png

1704969975033.png

Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Even if we tank to last and get the best chances in the draft lottery.....you all know Ottawa always gets the damn shaft.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
They won't let us
I think we have a chance this year at a really really high picks
Roster is as bad as ever and they dont have the hope of the last year that Norris would come back, that Pinto would have a year of 2C under his belt , that Chychrun would play a full year , that the ones who dont want to play here long term (DBC) would be off this team.
Vets have the help they always wanted and now they realize they are a really bad team even with new coach
When you start taking shots at the fan you know inside of you you have no answer
Motivation is not there like the last couple of years
High high pick it will be

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If go with a RD just because you could roll out Sanderson - RD top 5 pick for 25 minutes a game and have a dominant outing on the ice for half the game and that to me is the best recipe for success.

If not, big scoring winger

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We’re not drafting top-5

Sens will have a much better 2nd half and we’ll draft around 10th overall

Just another wasted rebuild season, couldn’t afford to have DJ Dorion but the timing of the sale made it happen

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
[
We’re not drafting top-5

Sens will have a much better 2nd half and we’ll draft around 10th overall

Just another wasted rebuild season, couldn’t afford to have DJ Dorion but the timing of the sale made it happen
When you look at the standings I don’t think Ottawa gets above the #6 spot especially with our goalies. Even with a winning record it’ll be tough to get to 82 points

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
What if we package the pick for someone young who can help us next year? This team should be competing.

And not a redundant piece. A piece that fills a hole (ie. RHD).

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I dont trust any trades for incoming players.

We'd be coming from a position of weakness and get fleeced. Just make the picks.

The cap makes it almost impossible anyway even if Staios wants to.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think we have a chance this year at a really really high picks
Roster is as bad as ever and they dont have the hope of the last year that Norris would come back, that Pinto would have a year of 2C under his belt , that Chychrun would play a full year , that the ones who dont want to play here long term (DBC) would be off this team.
Vets have the help they always wanted and now they realize they are a really bad team even with new coach
When you start taking shots at the fan you know inside of you you have no answer
Motivation is not there like the last couple of years
High high pick it will be
A top 6 pick at Ottawa's current position in the standings.

I wonder if Vegas would take our pick this coming draft as compensation and add something nice from their roster or prospects or their #1 pick.

Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you look at the standings I don’t think Ottawa gets above the #6 spot especially with our goalies. Even with a winning record it’ll be tough to get to 82 points

Yeah I think they'll finish with 80-85 pts, should have around 8-9 teams below them

Ottawa's goaltending is not a problem, it's the free give away goals we deliver on a silver platter every game. It's not that other teams don't give bad team goals too but we do it in an industrial way, we manufacture them

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If you look at draft histories, theres usually a dropoff for player success around the end of the 1st round for guys and then a little uptick in the start of the 2nd.

That is probably easy to explain by the fact that the bad/rebuilding teams start drafting again in round 2. Easier to crack those rosters sooner. The guys at the end of round 1 are better than they look and those at the start of round 2 are worse than their stats show.

Regardless, after you're outside the top 25 players or so in round 1 you're unlikely to find studs. maybe 50% at the end of the first round for a good player, 20% in the 2nd and about 7-10% shot in rounds 3-7 with not much difference in those rounds. Even if the average 3rd liner is better than the average 6th rounder, that doesn't matter if neither makes the NHL.

My strategy, if i was a GM would be to scoop out the middle and aim for "quality at the top of the draft and quantity at the bottom".

1) never trade picks in the top 20. Elite players are impossible to replace via trades and this is usually the only place to consistently land them. You need elite players to win cups.

2) consider trading picks in the top 20-40 range downward, looking to get more picks in the top 50 or so. Two picks in the 30-50 range will usually be worth more than one in the 20-30 range. Dorion had this backwards.

3) Consider trading 2nd rounders or very late 1sts for NHL roster support. (I think these picks are wildly overrated by teams). So I'd be listening on our 2nd and the Boston 1st.

4) After about pick 60 it's a complete gongshow. Just take a shotgun approach and try to draft as many players as possible. Trade downwards and move roster players for multiple picks where possible. E.g, maybe take a 4th+6th for kubalik rather than a 3rd if that kind of option is on the table.

P

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you look at draft histories, theres usually a dropoff for player success around the end of the 1st round for guys and then a little uptick in the start of the 2nd.

That is probably easy to explain by the fact that the bad/rebuilding teams start drafting again in round 2. Easier to crack those rosters sooner. The guys at the end of round 1 are better than they look and those at the start of round 2 are worse than their stats show.
I hadn't thought of it like that before, but it's a good point, there's a lot more opportunity available for an early second round pick than for a late 1st. That said, a lot of those top teams are trading their late firsts, so Perreault at 27 goes to Anaheim instead of Bos, Greig at 28 goes to Ottawa instead of NYI, Wieselblatt at 31 goes to SJ instead of Tbay.

Regardless, after you're outside the top 25 players or so in round 1 you're unlikely to find studs. maybe 50% at the end of the first round for a good player, 20% in the 2nd and about 7-10% shot in rounds 3-7 with not much difference in those rounds. Even if the average 3rd liner is better than the average 6th rounder, that doesn't matter if neither makes the NHL.

My strategy, if i was a GM would be to scoop out the middle and aim for "quality at the top of the draft and quantity at the bottom".

1) never trade picks in the top 20. Elite players are impossible to replace via trades and this is usually the only place to consistently land them. You need elite players to win cups.

2) consider trading picks in the top 20-40 range downward, looking to get more picks in the top 50 or so. Two picks in the 30-50 range will usually be worth more than one in the 20-30 range. Dorion had this backwards.

3) Consider trading 2nd rounders or very late 1sts for NHL roster support. (I think these picks are wildly overrated by teams). So I'd be listening on our 2nd and the Boston 1st.

4) After about pick 60 it's a complete gongshow. Just take a shotgun approach and try to draft as many players as possible. Trade downwards and move roster players for multiple picks where possible. E.g, maybe take a 4th+6th for kubalik rather than a 3rd if that kind of option is on the table.
I don't disagree with much of your strategy here, but I will say while picks in the 6-20 range have their star power, they also can bring in stars. I don't think you can ever say never trade a pick in x range, we got burned recently, so I do see why you might take that stance, but Van made out pretty well sending 17 for Hronek and 20 for JT Miller so far,

Reactions: dumbdick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I don't disagree with much of your strategy here, but I will say while picks in the 6-20 range have their star power, they also can bring in stars. I don't think you can ever say never trade a pick in x range, we got burned recently, so I do see why you might take that stance, but Van made out pretty well sending 17 for Hronek and 20 for JT Miller so far,
yeah, fair enough.

I considered saying top 10 instead of top 20 here. I see a 10-20 player as a relatively safe bet to become an average middle 6/bottom 4 player, with maybe a 20% chance to bust as a cup of coffee guy, and maybe the same odds to be something special. There's a predicrable difference usually between 11 and 20 too.

My general sense is that you cant overvalue the top picks because teams need those scarce stars to win. At the same time, almost every team overvalues the rest of the picks, which most often turn into nothing or a dime a dozen player that can easily be replaced.

So somehow put those two facts together into a strategy that lands, via trade or draft, the most "stars" for our picks. (I'm using stars really broadly here to mean guys that are stars in their role - I believe there are star 3rd liners for example).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we finish in the 5-10 range, I think there's a good chance we'd opt for one of the big D.

I expect Dickinson to go top 5 but guys like Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Silayev seem like potential Sens targets. All are big toolsy D.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tank means your team is pulling moves to weaken the roster to lose games while providing some experience to the prospects.

We are not tanking We just have a roster where the players we need to be going to have success are giving us half hearted efforts.

Young players adored their coach and could not accept the coaching change as something to help them be better.

“Well, I think, you know, you’ve got a choice; either sulk or you’re going take it, be a man and want to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad