Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Surely Danila Klimovich is hands-down the most disappointing prospect in the Canucks system right now. Will he get into another AHL game? Will he even be back next season?

Becoming a real possibility they loan him to some club in Europe for the last year of his ELC. I guess there's even the possibility they buy him out.

Really hard to wrap your head around--after such a promising season a year ago. But he's just hit the wall.

Passing on Stankoven for Klimovich is something that will haunt this franchise for years to come. Doesnt help when so many posters on here could see this coming a mile away on draft day…

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If we're talking about disappointing seasons, it's worth noting that Bloom is only like six month younger than Klimovich and didn't even stick in the ECHL. They came from the same draft.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The OHL playoffs begin tonight, and Alriksson, Bloom, and Kudryavtsev are all in action. (At least, I presume Kudryavtsev will play. I think he missed the last regular season game, but I'm guessing that was "load management.")

There's a recent puff article on Kudryavtsev from the Hockey News. It does have some interesting insights about how the Canucks communicate with their prospects in the OHL:

Kirill Kudryavtsev's Season

Last edited:
Reactions: M2Beezy

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Saginaw is up 2-1, both goals from Bloom.

Kudryavtsev is confirmed back in the line-up for the Soo.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Courtesy of Dave Hall on twitter
Tom Willander picked up two assists and a plus–3 en route to a 6-3 win to advance to the second round of the Frozen Four. They take on the winners of Omaha/Minnesota.

----
I watched a bit of this game when the feed would allow. Willander looked alright. He would have to take a very large step this summer to be NHL ready.

Reactions: andora and Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Tom Willander picked up two assists and a plus–3 en route to a 6-3 win to advance to the second round of the Frozen Four. They take on the winners of Omaha/Minnesota.

----
I watched a bit of this game when the feed would allow. Willander looked alright. He would have to take a very large step this summer to be NHL ready.
He’s going to stay one more year

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

----
oh, you are a man fan. welcome, you will fit right in!

Reactions: andora

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Passing on Stankoven for Klimovich is something that will haunt this franchise for years to come. Doesnt help when so many posters on here could see this coming a mile away on draft day…
Sort of like passing on Ehlers and Nylander for Virtanen? Or not that bad?

Reactions: B-rock

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I still think he is one of the most intriguing prospects. Still a long shot, but seems to have the tools, and clearly has the size.

I think he can make the NHL like Toropchenko did and have a similar trajectory if he progresses .

Long shot indeed , but so was Toropchenko so I’m willing to give Alriksson next season to hopefully earn an ELC

Reactions: ChilliBilly

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Well, there were 46 picks made before Stankoven was selected... so, no. Plenty of teams whiffed. Some more than once.

But yeah, we should have taken him. He was a perfectly good gamble to take with a 2nd round pick.

Besides, comparing Klimovich to Virtanen seems unnecessarily mean. Klim doesnt seem to be a douchebag or a sex pest or a coasting party boy. He's just taken a beating from injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: M2Beezy

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
In the OHL playoff matchup between Alriksson’s Guelph Storm and Kudryavstev’s Soo Greyhounds

The Greyhounds took game one 4-3

Kudryavstev 2 assists
Alriksson pointless

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In the OHL playoff matchup between Alriksson’s Guelph Storm and Kudryavstev’s Soo Greyhounds

The Greyhounds took game one 4-3

Kudryavstev 2 assists
Alriksson pointless
Kudryavtsev +2 named third star, in a 4-3 win.

Bloom: 2 goals, +2, first star, in a 6-4 win

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given where the Canucks were at the time, this is definitely far worse than drafting Klimovich instead of Stankoven in the second round in a later draft.

It's just that I remember posters clamoring on these boards for Stankoven, the local kid from Kamloops. Hopefully the Canuck scouts who argued that Klimovich would be a better prospect than Stankoven have been shuffled out the door. But I suspect it was the work of Benning all along.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Well, there were 46 picks made before Stankoven was selected... so, no. Plenty of teams whiffed. Some more than once.

But yeah, we should have taken him. He was a perfectly good gamble to take with a 2nd round pick.

Besides, comparing Klimovich to Virtanen seems unnecessarily mean. Klim doesnt seem to be a douchebag or a sex pest or a coasting party boy. He's just taken a beating from injuries.
He’s local which makes the scouting whiff far worse for us since he’s been developing in our backyard for years.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He’s local which makes the scouting whiff far worse for us since he’s been developing in our backyard for years.
When was the last time we got a good player out of our backyard?
They might as well be playing Tier 3 in Uzbekistan... or Belarus, for that matter, I guess.

But Stankoven was a North American kid playing Jr. A. Every team who passed on him had ample opportunities to watch him play. It's not like the stories I've heard of scouting Edler in the Arctic tundra. Obviously, we made a big mistake, but we were not alone in doing so. That said, between Johnston and Stankoven, the Stars are looking pretty good for their 2021 draft, so far.

edit: Looking back, I had forgotten that 2021 was a Covid draft. Looks like Stankoven only played 6 games that year, which might have something to do with the whiff. A full season and he would probably have gone higher. Those Covid drafts are going to be rife with hits and misses.

Reactions: wetcoast

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I'm sure I've said this before, but I really don't think you get any type local knowledge bonus on a kid who plays in the CHL, especially if they've been on that typical high-end Hockey Canada etc track.

I think there's still an argument there if this is a kid who played in an obscure organization and only hit the BCHL in his draft year or something like that, but Stankoven was in high-end, known programs and then graduated into one of the most-scouted leagues in the world and was part of Hockey Canada's elite programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope Josh Bloom can be the next Ryan Callahan or Kevin Leblanc. An Overager forward with a successful NHL career
Josh Bloom was at sea in Abbotsford, but is an impact player at the OHL level.

Hopefully his brief stint in the AHL and ECHL has given him a good idea of the work he has to put in, in the off-season. He'll need to take another step in his development to be an everyday player in Abbotsford.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad