Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well we had a season with a decent prospect pool. Next year it’s going to be crap. Because Lekk, EP2 and Willander be knocked out of the "prospect" designation. (and Silovs for that matter).

The good news is that when the OEL penalty maximizes, we should have a bunch of ELC's on the roster.

Different subject, but the team is going to change next year. Too many of the Canucks have had good years, and we can't afford to sign many of them. Sigh.

???

None of those players are going to be in the NHL next year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
???

None of those players are going to be in the NHL next year.
EP2 maybe. Lekkerimaki has a real shot. Willander is extremely unlikely ...

And to a large extent, I was talking about when the OEL buyout curse maximizes, which will 25-26-27.

Edit - and I acknowledge the way I worded made it sound like next year. My bad.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
EP2 maybe. Lekkerimaki has a real shot. Willander is extremely unlikely ...

And to a large extent, I was talking about when the OEL buyout curse maximizes, which will 25-26-27.

Edit - and I acknowledge the way I worded made it sound like next year. My bad.

Ah ok, 25-26 the pool will obviously take a big hit, yes.

Lekkerimaki does not look close to playing in the NHL next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well we had a season with a decent prospect pool. Next year its going to be crap. Because Lekk, EP2 and Willander be knocked out of the "prospect" designation. (and Silovs for that matter).

The good news is that when the OEL penalty maximizes, we should have a bunch of ELC's on the roster.

Different subject, but the team is going to change next year. Too many of the Canucks have had good years, and we can't afford to sign many of them. Sigh.
When you trade as many first, second and third rounders as the Canucks have since 2021, your prospect pool is inevitably going to take a bit of hit. And the Canucks also blew some assets out the door acquiring both Zadorov and Lindholm.

But Lekerimakki, Wilander and D-Petey will still headline the Canucks prospect pool next season. Although I expect Silovs to graduate to be the NHL backup next year.

But Canucks also some other guys who'll be interesting to follow like Mueller, Mynio, Kudryavtsev, Bloom, Forsell and maybe somebody they pluck out of round three or four in this upcoming draft. Not top-end talent, but still solid 'B' level prospects.

And normally guys like Raty and Klimovich who are still only 21-would be prospect headliners. But Raty might have a shot to play in Vancouver next year. As for Klimovich, he's simply fallen off a cliff. Hasn't played a game in weeks. Canucks aren't saying anything, but something has to be going on.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
When you trade as many first, second and third rounders as the Canucks have since 2021, your prospect pool is inevitably going to take a bit of hit. And the Canucks also blew some assets out the door acquiring both Zadorov and Lindholm.

But Lekerimakki, Wilander and D-Petey will still headline the Canucks prospect pool next season. Although I expect Silovs to graduate to be the NHL backup next year.

But Canucks also some other guys who'll be interesting to follow like Mueller, Mynio, Kudryavtsev, Bloom, Forsell and maybe somebody they pluck out of round three or four in this upcoming draft. Not top-end talent, but still solid 'B' level prospects.

And normally guys like Raty and Klimovich who are still only 21-would be prospect headliners. But Raty might have a shot to play in Vancouver next year. As for Klimovich, he's simply fallen off a cliff. Hasn't played a game in weeks. Canucks aren't saying anything, but something has to be going on.
Fair comment. I think they overpaid for Lindholm, since I don't think they can afford to keep him. I think Zadorov has been great, I hope they find a way to keep him but that will depend on what sort of payday he wants.

Of all the other guys you named, I really only think Mynio has a future. And Raty. He may become a very valuable asset.

Sad about Klimovich. Seems like a really decent guy, and it seems hockey is his only salvation. Hope he turns it around.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bloom really needs to take big step now... and again in September, or he's pretty much done as a prospect.
Wow!.....always astonishes me how prospects from the CHL are on such a short leash. Boom is only 20.....if he was playing in the NCAA, he'd be just getting started, and wouldn't be 'done as a prospect' until he was least 24 or 25.

Bloom was clearly out of his depth in his brief sojourn early in the season in Abbotsford....and spent another eight games in Kalamazoo....but he's not the first 20 year struggling to adjust to the size and speed of players in the AHL, and won't be the last.

Fortunately didn't take the same approach when they signed guys like Bains, McWard, Sasson and Mueller who are all a lot older than Bloom.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Wow!.....always astonishes me how prospects from the CHL are on such a short leash. Boom is only 20.....if he was playing in the NCAA, he'd be just getting started, and wouldn't be 'done as a prospect' until he was least 24 or 25.

Bloom was clearly out of his depth in his brief sojourn early in the season in Abbotsford....and spent another eight games in Kalamazoo....but he's not the first 20 year struggling to adjust to the size and speed of players in the AHL, and won't be the last.

Fortunately didn't take the same approach when they signed guys like Bains, McWard, Sasson and Mueller who are all a lot older than Bloom.

Uh... no.

21/22 maybe, very rare NCAA guys change much from 21-24.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There were a few NCAA free agents that chose not to sign last summer and went back to school. Their development flatlined, are a year older, and are accepting PTOs and 1-year ELCs. In most cases it’s far more beneficially to only do a couple years in the NCAA then move on to pro at 20 to 21.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
There were a few NCAA free agents that chose not to sign last summer and went back to school. Their development flatlined, are a year older, and are accepting PTOs and 1-year ELCs. In most cases it’s far more beneficially to only do a couple years in the NCAA then move on to pro at 20 to 21.

FWIW, ELC lengths are predetermined, so the 1-year ELC isn't something they had to take because their development went wonky, but just because of their age.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’d venture a guess that his 8 game stint in the ECHL is what is much more concerning.

2 assists/points in 8 games in the ECHL is eye opening.

Ty Glover isn’t even a legit prospect in our system and he put up 12 goals and 23 points in 15 games playing for the same team.

He also hasn’t shown much at the AHL level (given his age) to suggest a meaningful NHL career is in the cards for him.

It doesn’t help anyone to be a blind fanboy pumping a players stock just because they belong in our organization.

Bloom has some very appealing qualities that could make him an effective bottom 6 player and valuable on the PK.

…but, given what we’ve just seen, while that is still a possibility, even the most rose colored glasses Canucks fan would have to acknowledge that is a long shot based on what we’ve seen thus far this season, and based on the history of 20 YO first year players in either the AHL or ECHL that struggle to this degree.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I can’t speak for anyone else but I’d venture a guess that his 8 game stint in the ECHL is what is much more concerning.

Ty Glover isn’t even a legit prospect in our system and he put up 12 goals and 23 points in 15 games playing for the same team.

He also hasn’t shown much at the AHL level (given his age) to suggest a meaningful NHL career is in the cards for him.

It doesn’t help anyone to be a blind fanboy pumping a players stock just because they belong in our organization.

Bloom has some very appealing qualities that could make him an effective bottom 6 player and valuable on the PK.

…but, given what we’ve just seen, while that is still a possibility, even the most rose colored glasses Canucks fan would have to acknowledge that is a long shot based on what we’ve seen thus far this season, and based on the history of 20 YO first year players in either the AHL or ECHL that struggle to this degree.

Honestly the even bigger thing with Bloom (although washing out of the ECHL is obviously pretty damning) is that a player in his position should basically return to the OHL and absolutely dominate even if it's by accident. To use Bains - one of the cited players - as an example, he went from a ~1PPG player to leading the WHL in scoring his overage season, and it's not like he's even remotely a lock to become a career NHL player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Vilmer Arliksson is signed to an Amateur Tryout Contract (ATO) with the Abbotsford Canucks. He'll be around the team and practice with AHL squad for the rest of the season.

Bringing some of their 19 year old players to soak up the AHL atmosphere is a smart move by the Canucks. It'll give them some sense of how much of a gulf there is between junior hockey and the AHL, and give them a target for shoot for with their off-season training.

But I'm guessing that if the Canucks are going to the expense of bringing Arliksson to Abby, they've virtually decided to sign him after his second OHL season.

If that happens, it'll be pretty amazing 2023 draft for the Canucks. Wilander is sure to be signed after next season. They drafted Brzustewicz and then traded him to Calgary, where he already signed an ELC with the Flames.

Sawyer Mynio, their second pick in the third round has already signed; as has Ty Mueller, their fourth round pick out of Omaha-Nebraska. So if Arliksson signs, that's five kids signed to NHL ELC's out of one draft. Kind of astonishing, really.

Gives you some hope that although the Canucks don't have a first or second rounder in 2024, they still might uncover somebody in rounds 3-7.
I

Reactions: DFAC

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I'm at the point where i'm just wondering how much he gets paid.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So Vilmer Arliksson is signed to an Amateur Tryout Contract (ATO) with the Abbotsford Canucks. He'll be around the team and practice with AHL squad for the rest of the season.

Bringing some of their 19 year old players to soak up the AHL atmosphere is a smart move by the Canucks. It'll give them some sense of how much of a gulf there is between junior hockey and the AHL, and give them a target for shoot for with their off-season training.

But I'm guessing that if the Canucks are going to the expense of bringing Arliksson to Abby, they've virtually decided to sign him after his second OHL season.

If that happens, it'll be pretty amazing 2023 draft for the Canucks. Wilander is sure to be signed after next season. They drafted Brzustewicz and then traded him to Calgary, where he already signed an ELC with the Flames.

Sawyer Mynio, their second pick in the third round has already signed; as has Ty Mueller, their fourth round pick out of Omaha-Nebraska. So if Arliksson signs, that's five kids signed to NHL ELC's out of one draft. Kind of astonishing, really.

Gives you some hope that although the Canucks don't have a first or second rounder in 2024, they still might uncover somebody in rounds 3-7.
I

I'm not sure why it would be especially astonishing. Going back to the Gillis days, six guys from 2009 got ELCs, six from 2011, five from 2013, six from 2014, four from 2015, six from 2017, five from 2019, and four from 2022.

Reactions: MS and Vector

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver

There's not a player in that group that I'd label as a solid B' level prospect.. perhaps Mynio.. but even that's a stretch.

I admire the optimism but look no further then the prospects that were dealt for Guentzel.. all 3 of them would make Vancouver's top 5 and they were dealt for a rental.

Hope and optimism are key parts of prospect projection, as should realism. Lots of us have followed these types of C and D prospects for decades and have learned to caution our optimism with the reality that only a small percentage of them make the show. Hell, most of them hit the AHL and flame out.

It wasn't long ago we had posters harkening the calls of such hallowed names like Tate Olson, Lukas Jasek and Juraj Simek.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myrenberg would have been nice to keep
Yep.....when you step to the plate and take a cut on NHL trades, there are a few you'll whiff on. Studnicka was a worthwhile gamble from Boston for Myrenberg and DiPietro. But unfortunately it didn't work out.

Although they did flip Stucknicka to the Sharks for Nick Cicek and a sixth rounder in the upcoming draft. The Canucks drafted Myrenberg in fifth round in 2021, so maybe they can find a replacement with another early sixth rounder this spring.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad