Prospect Info: The 2023-2024 Prospects Thread Pt. 3

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
i really hope mueller signs this offseason. he's probably the canucks prospect i'm most excited about at this point

he's not gonna be a star but he's got the most pro-ready game of any player i've watched in the ncaa in the last decade
Wow!.....considering the Canucks have plucked the likes of McWard, Hirose, McDonough, Felton and Sasson from NCAA ranks the last couple of season, this is high praise indeed for Mueller.

"The most 'pro-ready of any player in the NCAA, and in the last decade" no less!.....I'm going to have to go back on-line and find me some Ty Mueller YouTube highlights.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Keep in mind there is like 50 nominees for Hobey Baker as far as I can see.

Feb 20, 2013
I haven't watched him play at all, but I will say this about Mueller: Omaha was a middle of the pack team, but not necessarily a high scoring one. 117 goals in 40 games isn't a lot when you look at the likea of BU and BC scoring 160+ in the same number of games. 26 points in 40 games isn't all that impressive either, but he was only 2 back of the team lead (in both goals and points), and Omaha had 15 players with 10 or more points, so the scoring was fairly spread out.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

Jack Malone scores a massive goal, but that’s an all time terrible giveaway by the defender. Wow.

He had a couple great plays in the last game too.

I would assume he’s no longer on the radar as he’s done nothing over his 4 year college career (and he’s 24 to start next season)…

…but then it also seems like this is the kind of sleeper guy our management group signs as a college UFA and tries to develop.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He had a couple great plays in the last game too.

I would assume he’s no longer on the radar as he’s done nothing over his 4 year college career (and he’s 24 to start next season)…

…but then it also seems like this is the kind of sleeper guy our management group signs as a college UFA and tries to develop.

He did transfer out of a program that wasn’t working for him and has been a lot more productive this year - but he’s also a senior and that’s kind of expected.

I wonder if his season ends, if the Canucks try him with an ATO in Abbotsford. See what he’s got at the pro level before making any sort of commitment.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
He did transfer out of a program that wasn’t working for him and has been a lot more productive this year - but he’s also a senior and that’s kind of expected.

I wonder if his season ends, if the Canucks try him with an ATO in Abbotsford. See what he’s got at the pro level before making any sort of commitment.
I'd be surprised if they did sign him.

Wonder if the Canucks get either of the big guns from Quinnipiac. Colin Graf or Jacob Quillan.

Reactions: Lindgren

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Has there been any news on free agents?
I have not heard anything. Management is quite a bit more tight lipped than previous years. Last year I watched all first round match ups in the NCAA tournament and Cole McWard and Max Sasson were two players that impressed me and surprised when Van signed both. This year I only saw 2 first round match ups and 2 in the second round. Other than Graf and Quillan, I didn't see anyone other than T.J. Hughes from Michigan that I'd be happy to see them sign. I've read from "insiders" that the free agent class is pretty weak compared to most seasons.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I have not heard anything. Management is quite a bit more tight lipped than previous years. Last year I watched all first round match ups in the NCAA tournament and Cole McWard and Max Sasson were two players that impressed me and surprised when Van signed both. This year I only saw 2 first round match ups and 2 in the second round. Other than Graf and Quillan, I didn't see anyone other than T.J. Hughes from Michigan that I'd be happy to see them sign. I've read from "insiders" that the free agent class is pretty weak compared to most seasons.
Interesting, guys like Quillan and Hughes think translate better to the NHL. If they can PK and are strong defensively then even if they don’t score then they can be effective.

Would be less confident in a guy like Graf because of that. Sassons strong defensive game has translated really well.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Interesting, guys like Quillan and Hughes think translate better to the NHL. If they can PK and are strong defensively then even if they don’t score then they can be effective.

Would be less confident in a guy like Graf because of that. Sassons strong defensive game has translated really well.
There traits definitely allow for a better transition. I've thought Quillan's game would translate better than Graf's. Graf with the higher ceiling if he ever finds it though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the one problem with having prospects going to the ncaa is that they tend to get immersed in eastern us sports culture which elevates the attractiveness of us teams in that region and the whole original 6 thing. as a west coast team you almost want to steer your prospects to duluth and north dakota.

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if the the Canucks will be as active in signing NCAA free agents as they were last year. They've already signed Christian Felton and Ty Mueller, one of their draft picks.

If they do sign anybody, it would more likely be a d-man than a forward imo.....but really know little about free agent UFA blueliners who might make some sense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if the the Canucks will be as active in signing NCAA free agents as they were last year. They've already signed Christian Felton and Ty Mueller, one of their draft picks.

If they do sign anybody, it would more likely be a d-man than a forward imo.....but really know little about free agent UFA blueliners who might make some sense.

It's driven by contract slots and Benning's horrific 2020 and 2021 drafts from which we only signed 1 player gave us a lot of flexibility to sign Euro and NCAA UFAs in the 2022 and 2023 offseasons.

With 4 players turning pro next season from the 2022/2023 drafts (Lekkerimaki/Pettersson/Kudryatsev/Mueller) there isn't nearly the same flexibility this offseason.

Reactions: Vector

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli
Frank Seravalli
Mentioned this today: some scouts believe Quillan has more #NHL upside than Quinnipiac teammate Collin Graf, who is also a highly touted undrafted free agent. Teams believe Graf is sticking in the East. He’s received a ton of interest - more teams have made offers than not.

Frank Seravalli
Mentioned this today: some scouts believe Quillan has more #NHL upside than Quinnipiac teammate Collin Graf, who is also a highly touted undrafted free agent. Teams believe Graf is sticking in the East. He’s received a ton of interest - more teams have made offers than not.
Got to think that Graf going to Florida or TB I'd guess. lol

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Kudryavtsev had a goal and an assist tonight in a 5-4 win. The Soo is up 3-0 in the series

Bloom had an assist in a 2-1 win. Saginaw is up 3-0 in the series.

Am I right in thinking The Soo and Saginaw will meet in the next round if they close things out?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if you'd still qualify Silovs as a 'prospect' because of his pro experience and his breakthrough performance at last year's World Hockey Championships.

But he's still only 23, which is definitely still young for a goaltender. I think he probably dropped down the prospect depth chart a bit, after a bit of an up and down start to his AHL season.

But watching him right now, if he's not back near the top of the Canucks prospect pool, he should be. Calm and confident in the net, and particularly impressed with his puck-handling. He's the complete package.....and surely a lock next season to be the Canucks backup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
i think the one problem with having prospects going to the ncaa is that they tend to get immersed in eastern us sports culture which elevates the attractiveness of us teams in that region and the whole original 6 thing. as a west coast team you almost want to steer your prospects to duluth and north dakota.
2 thoughts on this

1. Yes sure especially for kids from the east coast but....

2. East coast teams only have so much room and prospects need to be realistic in evaluating their path to the NHL, not all of them are sure make it guys like Adam Fox.

In fact most prospects really don't pan out and some just make it....barely and hang around.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well we had a season with a decent prospect pool. Next year its going to be crap. Because Lekk, EP2 and Willander be knocked out of the "prospect" designation. (and Silovs for that matter).

The good news is that when the OEL penalty maximizes, we should have a bunch of ELC's on the roster.

Different subject, but the team is going to change next year. Too many of the Canucks have had good years, and we can't afford to sign many of them. Sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad