Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I still don't think the Avs end up picking top 5 (I usually always assume the worst) but man I'd love to be wrong here. Joining the tank.

The rest of December is brutal PITx2, WSH, TBL, PIT, LA, TOR, NYI with FLAx2, ARZx2 sprinkled in.

I’m all for the tank, but the youth needs the experience on playing competitive. Although, they’re likely to get passed by every team except AZ, BUF and incredibly bad OTT. So being at a pre-draft Top 5 is high probability with the draft lottery odds from 2-5 being very close.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
After today's games, Avs are sitting with pick 7th, with games in hand to bump that all the way to 12th, and nobody with games in hand on them (except BOS, but they are ahead anyways). That is a fair representation of where they will finish IMO.

Yes, they are a key injury away from falling off a cliff. But so are other teams. Calgary dies without Gaudreau, LA with Doughty and/or Quick, Chicago has a few guys that could cost they a spot (I still feel they will end up in), Anaheim is due to get healthy at some point and they will move up, VGK will hit a wall at some point I have to think...or are they going to pull a 13-14 Avs?

The only teams I could see passing the Avs are EDM if McJesus and the Apostles start lighting it up, and Ottawa if EK65 and Dutchy find their way out of the doldrums. But I could also see the Avs passing VAN, CGY, ANA (if they never get healthy), PHI, CAR, and MTL.

That all said, I think they end up with a pick in the 6-10 range, and should take...Wahlstrom as the most likely to be there that fits what I am looking for this time. I want a shooter up front. We have plenty of play-makers, and I think we need to add a finisher. None of the D after Dahlin interest me for a earlier than 15 at this time.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Agreed, if we fall in that 5-10 range, Wahlstrom seems the best fit for what we lack in the system although if also be fine with baby Tkachuk, would be kinda cool to let him and Bowers develop a couple years together at BU.

There are so many good defenders this year, unless we end up at #1 and snag Dahlin I just assume wait to snag one with our second 1st (if we have it) or our early 2nd unless there is a clear cut of BPA with a guy falling into our laps.

I’m also intrigued by Skarek in net. I’m assuming he’ll start at the WJC for the Czechs, if he puts on a show there - he will be a very high pick especially for a goalie. I know people in general hate hate hate taking goalies high but if he’s worth it (and he seems like the guy who could be in this draft), im not opposed to taking a look at a goalie with our second 1st if we have it. We’ve got to stop farting around with 5th thru 7th round projects at some point and develop somebody. Kvaca is actually putting up great stats this season in the second tier Czech men’s league but I’m not sure how much that actually means.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
After today's games, Avs are sitting with pick 7th, with games in hand to bump that all the way to 12th, and nobody with games in hand on them (except BOS, but they are ahead anyways). That is a fair representation of where they will finish IMO.

Yes, they are a key injury away from falling off a cliff. But so are other teams. Calgary dies without Gaudreau, LA with Doughty and/or Quick, Chicago has a few guys that could cost they a spot (I still feel they will end up in), Anaheim is due to get healthy at some point and they will move up, VGK will hit a wall at some point I have to think...or are they going to pull a 13-14 Avs?

The only teams I could see passing the Avs are EDM if McJesus and the Apostles start lighting it up, and Ottawa if EK65 and Dutchy find their way out of the doldrums. But I could also see the Avs passing VAN, CGY, ANA (if they never get healthy), PHI, CAR, and MTL.

That all said, I think they end up with a pick in the 6-10 range, and should take...Wahlstrom as the most likely to be there that fits what I am looking for this time. I want a shooter up front. We have plenty of play-makers, and I think we need to add a finisher. None of the D after Dahlin interest me for a earlier than 15 at this time.

What? :eek: I can somewhat understand Hughes/Boqvist, but not even Smith, Dobson or Wilde until #15?......

Reactions: McMetal

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I’m also intrigued by Skarek in net. I’m assuming he’ll start at the WJC for the Czechs, if he puts on a show there - he will be a very high pick especially for a goalie. I know people in general hate hate hate taking goalies high but if he’s worth it (and he seems like the guy who could be in this draft), im not opposed to taking a look at a goalie with our second 1st if we have it. We’ve got to stop farting around with 5th thru 7th round projects at some point and develop somebody. Kvaca is actually putting up great stats this season in the second tier Czech men’s league but I’m not sure how much that actually means.

Eh not a whole lot. He put up this exact performance last season in the Czech2 league so we know he's capable in the Czech2 league. Right now we're waiting to see if Kvaca gets loaned to a top tier Czech team and see how he does there.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I don't want anything to do with Merkley. Offensive stats are nice, but he seems totally unwilling to play defense. Barrie, in my opinion, will never be a great defender for this reason, so I wouldn't be spending a first on Merkley.

Kind of sucks that Ottawa is struggling. That additional 1st would've been great to have, seeing as it's so deep with defensemen.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed, if we fall in that 5-10 range, Wahlstrom seems the best fit for what we lack in the system although if also be fine with baby Tkachuk, would be kinda cool to let him and Bowers develop a couple years together at BU.

There are so many good defenders this year, unless we end up at #1 and snag Dahlin I just assume wait to snag one with our second 1st (if we have it) or our early 2nd unless there is a clear cut of BPA with a guy falling into our laps.

I'm for Skarek too with one of our 2nds

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
What? :eek: I can somewhat understand Hughes/Boqvist, but not even Smith, Dobson or Wilde until #15?......

Smith is would be yet another offense first defender, and I think we have enough of those for now...rather go for a 2WD. Dobson might climb up enough to be in that range, but I want more than just the great start this year for him to slot in a top half round 1 pick. Wilde is one that I probably should have listed as one that could be in that range....oversight on my part. I suppose names like McIssac and Miller should be in that conversation as well. But for a top 10 pick, given what the Avs need, Dahlin is the only D I would be happy with right now. That could and likely will change as the kids develop over this season, and I get more views of them. But for now, I want a sniper if I can't have Dahlin.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I'm thinking if he lives up to his billing at the WJC's, he'll probably be gone by our second round pick. Oettinger didn't make it out of the first round last year.
Yes very true, I'm used to thinking our 2nd would automatically be 32 lol

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Smith is would be yet another offense first defender, and I think we have enough of those for now...rather go for a 2WD. Dobson might climb up enough to be in that range, but I want more than just the great start this year for him to slot in a top half round 1 pick. Wilde is one that I probably should have listed as one that could be in that range....oversight on my part. I suppose names like McIssac and Miller should be in that conversation as well. But for a top 10 pick, given what the Avs need, Dahlin is the only D I would be happy with right now. That could and likely will change as the kids develop over this season, and I get more views of them. But for now, I want a sniper if I can't have Dahlin.
He can really skate though , could be a two-way defender .

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

So you havent seen Smith I take it. He's actually a defense 1st guy despite his numbers and size, same goes for Woo. Other than having the odd issue with a huge forward Smith is a defensively sound complete D-man in the mold of a slightly smaller Duncan Keith

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Evan Bouchard is starting to push his way into the top 15 as well. Lots of IQ and general all-around ability as well as size, there's a hell of a lot to like about him so far this year.

Smith is one of those defenders where his skating is so good that his size barely hinders him. I can certainly see concerns about his size translating well to the NHL being valid, but his agility and IQ are so off the charts that I wouldn't feel bad about taking him. Besides, remember Makar was listed at 5'10 for most of his draft year before the combine put him at 5'11.75, so maybe he'll have a late growth spurt. Even an inch of growth would make his size perfectly acceptable for NHL play given the other tools at his disposal.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Evan Bouchard is starting to push his way into the top 15 as well. Lots of IQ and general all-around ability as well as size, there's a hell of a lot to like about him so far this year.

Smith is one of those defenders where his skating is so good that his size barely hinders him. I can certainly see concerns about his size translating well to the NHL being valid, but his agility and IQ are so off the charts that I wouldn't feel bad about taking him. Besides, remember Makar was listed at 5'10 for most of his draft year before the combine put him at 5'11.75, so maybe he'll have a late growth spurt. Even an inch of growth would make his size perfectly acceptable for NHL play given the other tools at his disposal.

5'11.25"

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Realistically drafting bottom Top 10.

AVs are much better than last year, but are still a few seasons away. Unlikely the Sens will send their 2018 Pick, so looking at the players available with our pick.

Forward

vs

Defence

Choose the BFA or position of need?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

AVs are much better than last year, but are still a few seasons away. Unlikely the Sens will send their 2018 Pick, so looking at the players available with our pick.

Forward

vs

Defence

If we do only get one pick, it needs to be an LD. Girard is not looking like a top pair answer right now, and Z either. I'd settle for a rightie to maybe replace EJ someday, but top pair horse is still by far the biggest need the team has.

Still, I expect to have two picks in '18 when all is said and done. Ottawa will recover enough to break out of the bottom 10.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Forward

vs

Defence

Best Player Available no matter what. I'm of the mind you never draft based on need, never. Needs should be addressed via trade or free agency.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah BPA for me as well. If the Avs think Merkley is the BPA when we're on the clock, you go up on stage and select Merkley.

I hope BPA for us works out to be fortunate enough to land Zadina though :laugh: Or better yet Dahlin.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Zadina or Wahlstrom will be my choice with Forwards, but you can never have enough DMen and McIsaac or Wilde are so tempting.

BPA is subjective and tends to lean on Forwards until the last draft. It could very well come down to either Wahlstrom or McIsaac/Wilde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad