Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

What Year Do You Want The Senators Pick?

• 2018: Since they won't be as bad as in 2019

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • 2019: Since they should retool making them worse off

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Don't care, either year works for me

Votes: 53 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Boqvist not going to the WJC isn't going to help his stock.
I've watched Boqvist a couple times recently including a CL game and I came away sort of meh with him. I think he's a lot better defencively than what people give him for, but I don't know if he's as dynamic offencively. He's still a wonderful prospect and still top 10 calibre for me, but maybe not in the top 3-4, Zadina has absolutely overtaken him for me at third overall. I don't know if it will help or hurt his stock per se, I mean he should have probably been invited. However, very rarely do players who are draft eligible players ever make the WJC in their draft years, Canada only has one this year and he's looking to be their 3rd string goaler (Granted USA has Hughes though). Only in some of the smaller nations do you see this such as Denmark, Latvia, etc.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs will likely pick 6-8 overall. Svechnikov or Zadina will likely be gone in the Top 3. Wahlstrom will be the next best Forward option available.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At this point I think it's fair to say we could realistically pick anywhere from 1-10.

Still super tightly packed between a lot of teams right now. We're trending in the wrong(Or right depending on how you wanted the season to go) direction right now but with our games in hand all we have to do is win 1 of the 2 games we have in hand on most teams ahead of us, and we could be sitting in the 9-10 range.

But just as easily, lose those games in hand and we could find ourselves down with Arizona and Buffalo in the true basement.

Given how close the odds are to win the lottery from basically 2 on down to 10, I think it's fair to discuss the potential of anybody in this draft right now. Until the lottery is finished all bets are off and the Avs location of pick is wide open.

Zadina is a real possibility, as is Svech, as is Dahlin.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
AVs will likely pick 6-8 overall. Svechnikov or Zadina will likely be gone in the Top 3. Wahlstrom will be the next best Forward option available.
It's a dmen draft, so let's pick a defenseman?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Depends on the choice of pick. Dahlin #1, but Top 8 some great Forwards and rather stay away from adding more smallish DMen. If the selection is near Top 10 Wilde or McIsaac would be excellent choices.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
At this point I think it's fair to say we could realistically pick anywhere from 1-10.

Still super tightly packed between a lot of teams right now. We're trending in the wrong(Or right depending on how you wanted the season to go) direction right now but with our games in hand all we have to do is win 1 of the 2 games we have in hand on most teams ahead of us, and we could be sitting in the 9-10 range.

But just as easily, lose those games in hand and we could find ourselves down with Arizona and Buffalo in the true basement.

Given how close the odds are to win the lottery from basically 2 on down to 10, I think it's fair to discuss the potential of anybody in this draft right now. Until the lottery is finished all bets are off and the Avs location of pick is wide open.

Zadina is a real possibility, as is Svech, as is Dahlin.
Any one of those 3 would be awesome

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's also a winger draft, and that's certainly something we need as well. I still think we will end up with Ottawa's pick after they dust themselves off, and we could go after, say, Wahlstrom with our first and somebody like E. Bouchard or Miller with the other. As Patagonia said, outside of Dahlin, the top tier of defensemen so far looks like Boqvist and Hughes, who would be redundant with Girard and Makar around. Unless Wilde or McIsaac climbs up into the 6-8 range I'd be perfectly happy picking up a high end scorer in addition to one of the mid-teens defensemen.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like everything I've heard/read about Zadina but I'm not hoping for him, that's aiming too low. Avs are now sixth worst (with games in hand) and the only team I can confidently say won't pass them is the Sabres. It's cool if they have to "settle" for someone like Zadina in the end but they're going to be very much in the Dahlin mix.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Zadina grew up and went through the youth program of the same team Milan Hejduk made his pro debut and played for during the lockout...

He is a decent sized goalscorer who has a very solid all around game to boot who also is not the fastest skater in the world...

I am not sure that the comparison to Hejduk is a good one (I rather doubt it tbh) but I wouldn't be too surprised (I have a feeling that it might happen) if history repeats itself and he turns into Milan v 2.0 atleast when it comes to what he means to the Avs impactwise.

That certainly would not be the worst thing in the world but I would still prefer to go D no matter what to be honest unless we really end up at #2...

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
The hockey gods will smile upon this year, they have to after last season. If we can get dahlin, svech or zadina I’d be a very happy camper.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like everything I've heard/read about Zadina but I'm not hoping for him, that's aiming too low. Avs are now sixth worst (with games in hand) and the only team I can confidently say won't pass them is the Sabres. It's cool if they have to "settle" for someone like Zadina in the end but they're going to be very much in the Dahlin mix.

Bingo.

Zadina/Boqvist should be nice consolation prizes, but at this point we're on track to be a real favorite for Dahlin or Svech.

I think it's fair with where we are now to be talking more about Dahlin honestly, its a definite possibility we end up with him.

Reactions: agentblack

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are moving (tanking) closer to a pre-lottery Top 5 Pick.

Lots of teams improved in recent weeks: ANA, MTL, CAR, PHL, DET are ahead while FL, OTT and EDM not far behind. This leaves BUF and ARZ which are unlikely to improve enough in passing the AVs.

If the AVs finish in the Top 3, they have a great shot at Dahlin, but realistically if the can get Svechnikov or Zadina which is likely the Top 3 choices this would a huge boost to the forwards.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
All I know is that it's time for the hockey gods to repay us with a favorable draft lottery result.

Hockey Gods might have punished with draft positions, but smiled at sprinkling luck with trades. Allowed our crop of prospects to grow and granting us the draft seeds to replenish the fields.

:popcorn:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So remember all that talk of not finishing bottom 5... The Avs are tied with Florida with 26 points. The Avs have a game in hand, so are technically ahead, but a win by Florida on Saturday puts the Avs in the bottom 5. Ottawa and Edmonton are only 1 and 2 points back. If MacK gets injured, or even goes cold... this team will plummet even further.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
So remember all that talk of not finishing bottom 5... The Avs are tied with Florida with 26 points. The Avs have a game in hand, so are technically ahead, but a win by Florida on Saturday puts the Avs in the bottom 5. Ottawa and Edmonton are only 1 and 2 points back. If MacK gets injured, or even goes cold... this team will plummet even further.
Or when the inevitable ej injury happens

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I still don't think the Avs end up picking top 5 (I usually always assume the worst) but man I'd love to be wrong here. Joining the tank.

The rest of December is brutal PITx2, WSH, TBL, PIT, LA, TOR, NYI with FLAx2, ARZx2 sprinkled in.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I still don't think the Avs end up picking top 5 (I usually always assume the worst) but man I'd love to be wrong here. Joining the tank.

The rest of December is brutal PITx2, WSH, TBL, PIT, LA, TOR, NYI with FLAx2, ARZx2 sprinkled in.
I checked the schedule too , we're doomed. Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad