Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Imagine a bigger and faster Drai with a better release. That's Svechnikov
First of all, Draisaitl is 6'2 215, could probably even put more mass on. So Svechnikov may be slightly taller but looks to have a lankier frame. Not that it matters much but kind of an odd thing to factor in. Draisaitl's release is also high end. If Svechnikov becomes a Draisaitl type of player I'd be pleasantly surprised, especially if we get him. I just have some question marks.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
What the f*** am I reading?

Svechnikov is going to be a star. You just have to watch him for 5 min and realize that. He’s not his brother (who had/has skating issues). He has the complete package. I use to think he reminded me of Tarasenko but he’s closer to Kovalchuk. Whoever gets this kid is getting a 40 goal scorer and should count there lucky stars

Reactions: lakai17 and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
What the **** am I reading?

Svechnikov is going to be a star. You just have to watch him for 5 min and realize that. He’s not his brother (who had/has skating issues). He has the complete package. I use to think he reminded me of Tarasenko but he’s closer to Kovalchuk. Whoever gets this kid is getting a 40 goal scorer and should count there lucky stars

Right? I mean, let's just put aside the tape for a second (which I personally find really flattering). The kid has 40 goals and 72 points in a 44 game injury-shortened season. Those are goal scoring numbers similar to Tavares and Stamkos in the OHL.

Though I have to say I don't really see Tarasenko or Kovalchuk in him really. Closer to Tarasenko due to the size+ physicality, but I still think he reminds me more of prime Rick Nash more than anyone.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Reminds me of JVR.

JVR wishes he had Svechnikov’s power game and ability to dangle and stick handle.

And Aerrol Kovy was a tank when he was in the NHL. Impossible to knock off the puck. That’s why Svechnikov’s game reminds me of Kovy. Nash has similarities as well but he doesn’t have quite the shot Svech does. There down low games and power drives to net are similar. But Svechnikov can also score from top of the circles with ease (like Kovy could)

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They traded away players at the deadline, are icing rookies and AHLers, and shutting down injured players. Short of telling the players to lose (I'm sure that would be received well by McDavid and Draisaitl), what else do you want them to do?

I think we've learned over the years that drafting strong over numerous rounds is the key over racing towards the bottom of the league.
Nothing really. It would just be a shame if after this whole shitty season all we had to show for it is a guy like Farabee

Reactions: bobbythebrain

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Currently sitting at 8th overall which drops us out of the money positioning. Imo Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvist are top 7 in some order. The next grouping of 3 are all pretty close but a clear step down. Dobson, Wahlstrom, Smith.

Dobson and Smith I think are potential second pairing defenders with some offensive upside and Wahlstrom is a middle 6 winger. Not the end of the world but a shame to fall out of that very high end top 7

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
What the **** am I reading?

Well some of the hfoil boys shy away from Svechnikov due to Yakupov. Although us realists know what Svechnikov brings to the table, whoever draft him get instant fire in their lineup. A true impact player.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Currently sitting at 8th overall which drops us out of the money positioning. Imo Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvist are top 7 in some order. The next grouping of 3 are all pretty close but a clear step down. Dobson, Wahlstrom, Smith.

Dobson and Smith I think are potential second pairing defenders with some offensive upside and Wahlstrom is a middle 6 winger. Not the end of the world but a shame to fall out of that very high end top 7

That's selling those guys short. Both Dobson and Smith have top-pairing potential and Wahlstrom could very well be a legit 1st line winger.

Reactions: dustrock and Aerrol

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
JVR wishes he had Svechnikov’s power game and ability to dangle and stick handle.

And Aerrol Kovy was a tank when he was in the NHL. Impossible to knock off the puck. That’s why Svechnikov’s game reminds me of Kovy. Nash has similarities as well but he doesn’t have quite the shot Svech does. There down low games and power drives to net are similar. But Svechnikov can also score from top of the circles with ease (like Kovy could)
Kovy could score from the blueline with ease and often did, I don't think I can name a single forward in the last 20 years that had a slap shot at distance that was the equal of Kovy's.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Actually this pick could end up being a lot later than I thought. We passed the Hawks and we're only 3-4 points behind Isles, Rangers and Canes. We could be looking at drafting at #11. That'd be a very disappointing consolation prize for this crappy season.

Although there are some decent prospects in that range too. Getting one of Mattias Samuelsson, Joseph Veleno, Bode Wilde or even someone like Martin Kaut wouldn't completely suck.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Speaking of Martin Kaut. He looks like a pretty darn good player. 6'1 right-handed forward who can both pass and score. PPG in WJC and has produced really well in the Czech league this year. 9 goals and 16 points in 38 games against men. Really seems to like to shoot the puck, but also has good vision and passing ability and is also a really solid skater from what I can tell. I'm intrigued.

Some highlights from the WJC:

Reactions: McDrai

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Man I don't want the Oilers to drop out of top 10 of NHL draft and if they do I hope we win one of the 3 lottery picks.

Anyways, with our recent surge up I'm now looking at more prospects. Here's one that really seems to be on a lot of people's radar:

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018

The Oilers have had 21 selections per the graph and avg games played is 170 games. We need to start doing better with our picks outside of the 1st round.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That's selling those guys short. Both Dobson and Smith have top-pairing potential and Wahlstrom could very well be a legit 1st line winger.
Agreed. To me the top 3 guys have separated from the pack, but 4-11/12ish are all close. Boqvist and Bouchard might be separating a bit as the 4/5, but not by much. There will be some very good players available unless something ridiculous like 13/14/15th winning all three lotteries happens.

Reactions: Aerrol and Zaddy

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

The Oilers have had 21 selections per the graph and avg games played is 170 games. We need to start doing better with our picks outside of the 1st round.

Tbh we're higher than I expected on that chart. That's something, I guess. Interesting that the Pens are so low, I've always felt like they've done a great job at developing unheralded players to step into the lineup. I guess more NCAA signings?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't really care where they finish, with the way the lottery is setup they'll still have a decent shot at moving up. The NHL really screwed up the lottery.

Can't really fault the Oilers for picking where they deserve. They should never have been a bottom ten team in the first place, and have pretty much gutted the roster down the stretch. I mean, look at the defence they're icing at this point.

cordlessphone

Jul 19, 2011
Couple older tweets but found them interesting so will post:

Anyone know off hand where Sandin fits on that list? A quick calculation gets me 0.55, ahead of Merkley, yet he seems to be getting less attention. Anyone know much about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany