Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
It’s not even so much that we have had a surge up as that other teams have really started to out-suck us. We’ve been playing pretty much like we have all year imo. It’s that Chicago has 3 wins in their last 10, Detroit has 1 in 11, Montreal has 2 in 10, and Van has 1 in 11 as well. That’s more the problem because those teams that we were right beside or worse than for most of the year have absolutely fallen off a cliff this month.

They want a higher pick more than we do I guess. And do you know what all those teams have in common? Really shitty goaltending. We should be playing Broissoit and Montoya or one of the AHL guys instead of Talbot. That’s how we lose. Nothing we can do about McDavid and Drai, they are great players and are gonna score points.

Luckily those teams along with the NYR, NYI and Canes play some games against each other so some of that will get made up.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s not even so much that we have had a surge up as that other teams have really started to out-suck us. We’ve been playing pretty much like we have all year imo. It’s that Chicago has 3 wins in their last 10, Detroit has 1 in 11, Montreal has 2 in 10, and Van has 1 in 11 as well. That’s more the problem because those teams that we were right beside or worse than for most of the year have absolutely fallen off a cliff this month.
Which is unfortunate. It'll give Todd another season and we will get a long shot prospect. Just another season completely thrown away lol.
Could still win the lotto though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Anyone know off hand where Sandin fits on that list? A quick calculation gets me 0.55, ahead of Merkley, yet he seems to be getting less attention. Anyone know much about him?

Really good two-way guy.

Just isn't super dynamic offensively, isn't overly big(5'11'' 190lbs) and is only an average skater(especially for his size).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone know off hand where Sandin fits on that list? A quick calculation gets me 0.55, ahead of Merkley, yet he seems to be getting less attention. Anyone know much about him?

Very high IQ player. Great defensively. Good first pass. Has some offensive skills although probably not a high scoring player in the NHL, more likely a 20-30 pt D. Downside is his size, he's only 5'11, although he's 190 lbs so he is not skinny, and his skating. Solid early 2nd round pick IMO.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Kovy could score from the blueline with ease and often did, I don't think I can name a single forward in the last 20 years that had a slap shot at distance that was the equal of Kovy's.

Yeah, that's why I preferred the Rick Nash comparable, though I do see his point. Svechnikov's shot might be better than Jrs Rick Nash.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Very high IQ player. Great defensively. Good first pass. Has some offensive skills although probably not a high scoring player in the NHL, more likely a 20-30 pt D. Downside is his size, he's only 5'11, although he's 190 lbs so he is not skinny, and his skating. Solid early 2nd round pick IMO.

I'd be pretty pumped with him in the second.

I think he's a guy who would vastly outplay his draft position if he improves his skating.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This has been one of the most fun drafts to follow in years for me, with the justifiable arguments for any of the top 10-ish players other than Dahlin. Lots of good discussion and debate combined with some tantalizing talents that fit our needs. Hope we don't somehow miss out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This will make some of you happy.

The guy we just traded for plays with Hughes. So that tells me the Oilers must be leaning towards drafting him and have seen Marody a few times and liked him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I think his point pace improved a lot when Yamamotos game got figured out again.

Incorrect. His numbers stayed essentially the same all season. He was close to ppg before Yamamoto returned to Spokane, was over ppg by the end of Decemeber and stayed that way for the rest of the season once Yamamoto started to light in up in January.

Smith’s game has never been flashy offensively. He has produced at every level but his defensive game is what has always been strong. He’s undersized with excellent numbers this season but if people are thinking he’s like Hughes or Merkley (big numbers, flashy offensively but struggle defensively) then they are mistaken.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Incorrect. His numbers stayed essentially the same all season. He was close to ppg before Yamamoto returned to Spokane, was over ppg by the end of Decemeber and stayed that way for the rest of the season once Yamamoto started to light in up in January.

Smith’s game has never been flashy offensively. He has produced at every level but his defensive game is what has always been strong. He’s undersized with excellent numbers this season but if people are thinking he’s like Hughes or Merkley (big numbers, flashy offensively but struggle defensively) then they are mistaken.
Thats really good to hear.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This will make some of you happy.

The guy we just traded for plays with Hughes. So that tells me the Oilers must be leaning towards drafting him and have seen Marody a few times and liked him.

Eh, not necessarily. Possible, but I'd be shocked if they weren't scouting all of the guys we're talking about - Bouchard, Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Smith - pretty heavily.

Though...it IS the Oilers... Maybe I should just limit that to the NA players.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Isn't Hughes fairly solid defensively?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm really rooting for Calgary to win the lottery this year just for the lolz. It's the only scenario that would bring me great joy other then us winning it.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
if we finish in the 8-10 position
Walhstrom and Ty Smith should be the targets
I don't dislike Wahlstrom by any means and certainly doesn't look like a bad pick, but this year has a 2008 or 2012 kind of draft vibe to me, where I think the D prospects on average are a bit more intriguing than the forwards and I think there is likely a superstar D beyond Dahlin in our proximity or below (possibly much below), just a matter of separating the turds from the gems and hope our scouting staff don't do the equivalent of taking a Colten Teubert instead of an Erik Karlsson

Reactions: dustrock and Aerrol

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
How would you guys rank the defensemen in this draft? For me it's

Dahlin
Boqvist
Bouchard
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

IMO we're probably going to get one of Bouchard or Dobson (which I would love). I could see them getting NHL time as soon as next year. They would definetely help out with our PP, especially Bouchard.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Dahlin
--
--
Bouchard
Boqvist
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

I know Boqvist is ranked higher by everyone and I understand it is due to his potential but he may never reach his full potential and Bouchard is as skilled but just lacks the speed component Boqvist possesses. If Bouchard can improve his speed and clean up a few areas (which can easily be fixed) then his potential is sky high as well (franchise dman potential). So for that reason I'm ranking him #2.

Honestly all the dmen have sky high potential. A few them will turn out to be franchise dmen. Some will bust. It's just hard to say which ones will turn out best.

2012 is a good reference point. The dmen selections were
#2 Murray
#4 Reinhart
#5 Rielly
#6 Lindholm
#7 Dumba
#8 Pouliot
#9 Trouba
#10 Koekkoek
#15 Ceci
#22 Maata
#23 Matheson
#25 Schmaltz
#28 Skjei

In a re-draft knowing what we know now those selections would be completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA