Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
The worry for me is that Bouchard is a better version of Ryan Mantha. A guy the Rangers liked enough to draft, but thought he wasn't going to make it in the bigs, and now he's with Bakersfield after a huge final junior season last year.

The worry for me with Dobson is that he's a RHD version of Nurse - great skater, great defender, solid top 4 guy potential, but no gamebreaker on offence. Granted, he's having a productive season, but the Q factor is a worry as well.

If you can't grab Boqvist, then pick the guy with the best NHL offensive upside.

Even Mantha still has promise, as he's one of the only even +/- players on that team along with Keegan Lowe. I don't usually read too much into that stat as ice time can drastically effect/inflate it, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet as I think we have a potential player there.

As for Bouchard, I do agree that he somewhat resembles Mantha, but I mean.. a way better Mantha.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I mean....Bouchard and Mantha are not comparable in almost anyway.
Manthas draft+1 was 25 points in 52 games. Bouchard just had 87 in 67. There game is nothing similar at all, except for that they are both bigger and right shots.

No, obviously Mantha wasn't ever ranked in the top 5 and I'm sure Bouchard is a far superior prospect in every way, but Mantha was also a shot-generating machine in junior.

I'm just listing my fears as an Oilers fan. :D

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Mantha had 15 points in the USHL in his draft year while Bouchard is the highest scoring first-time draft eligible player in the entire CHL.

You don't have to worry about that. ;)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Mantha had 15 points in the USHL in his draft year while Bouchard is the highest scoring first-time draft eligible player in the entire CHL.

You don't have to worry about that. ;)

No, for sure. The Mantha example was exaggeration to prove a point.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I'd like to see one of Addison or Alexeyev fall to our 2nd.

I'm really excited about the players that will be available for that pick, a lot of good forwards and defensemen.

This draft has a great top 10 and then some nice talent after that going deep into the 2nd round. This is my favourite 2nd round since the 2015 draft

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Svechnikov also just got a 4 game suspension for a hit to the head in the last game of the season.

That's a big help to the Steelheads who came on pretty strong down the stretch. I'm not sure Barrie has the depth to overcome four games without Svech.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Looks like Vitali Kravtsov is making a pretty strong case for the 1st round.

6 goals and 1 assist in 7 KHL playoff games.

He's probably a top15 pick unless the russian factor scares teams away. I could see some teams being reluctant to pick him early considering how poorly Nichushkin and Guryanov has worked out so far.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They likely have a suspension coming their way too.

Throw the book at that idiot.

That's the kind of play that'll have universities looking elsewhere next season. Why a kid would jeopardize both the player and his own futures on a meaningless, selfish play is beyond me. Look at his numbers in Missy since the trade. Stupid, stupid play.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

There's just something that feels off to me about Svechnikov but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe it's just his skating which looks really awkward to me. He's really quite fast but he looks so unbalanced on his edges and it looks like just a gust of wind could put him on his ass. Makes me kinda wonder how he's going to deal with the physicality of the NHL. Maybe the awkwardness is just deceiving though and he's actually strong on his skates? I don't know. He can really wire the puck though I'll say that and he doesn't look afraid to go to the net so those are two big positives. Would probably instantly be our best goalscorer.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There's just something that feels off to me about Svechnikov but I can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe it's just his skating which looks really awkward to me. He's really quite fast but he looks so unbalanced on his edges and it looks like just a gust of wind could put him on his ass. Makes me kinda wonder how he's going to deal with the physicality of the NHL. Maybe the awkwardness is just deceiving though and he's actually strong on his skates? I don't know. He can really wire the puck though I'll say that and he doesn't look afraid to go to the net so those are two big positives. Would probably instantly be our best goalscorer.
All you had to do was scroll up a few posts to see his physicality

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hell I think the team could fall as far back as 12 because the team is slowly creeping up the standings which is the dumbest thing this organization has done this year. Nopoint in really arguing Bouchard or Hughes cause I don't think they fall to where we finish. Only chance we have to make it is if we win one of the lotteries, but even said, the top 3 is pretty set.

They traded away players at the deadline, are icing rookies and AHLers, and shutting down injured players. Short of telling the players to lose (I'm sure that would be received well by McDavid and Draisaitl), what else do you want them to do?

I think we've learned over the years that drafting strong over numerous rounds is the key over racing towards the bottom of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese