Sep 18, 2014
How would you guys rank the defensemen in this draft? For me it's

Dahlin
Boqvist
Bouchard
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

IMO we're probably going to get one of Bouchard or Dobson (which I would love). I could see them getting NHL time as soon as next year. They would definetely help out with our PP, especially Bouchard.

We just did this last week, but there's been a lot of pages of discussion since so I understand :).

My list would be

Dahlin
Boqvist
Bouchard
Hughes
Smith
Dobson
Bode Wilde? He seems to be creeping up some draft rankings.

@rambo97 I don't think it's that crazy to put Bouchard ahead of Boqvist for what it's worth, even if I disagree. I also think Boqvist has a better shot than Bouchard in addition to better skating.

Reactions: rambo97

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Man Bode Wilde is the biggest boom/bust defense prospect in the 1st round. He's got all the physical traits & tools but very little hockey sense (maybe that isn't fair....better description might be "questionable hockey sense"). He also makes the most bone headed plays but then can make breath taking plays as well.

I want nothing to do with him but can acknowledge the intrigue with him. Personally just think he's going to top out as a Jack Johnson type defender (or complete bust). If he gets the right mentoring and coaching though watch out.

Reactions: Aerrol

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If Dahlin wasn't around, wouldn't we be arguing about Boqvist possibly going in the top 3? He's performing historically well in Sweden, and he has a fantastic set of tools.

And he's close to being a 2019 draft eligible. He is young!

If you give him another year and get him closer to Bouchard in age, do you really want to take Bouchard over him?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Dahlin wasn't around, wouldn't we be arguing about Boqvist possibly going in the top 3? He's performing historically well in Sweden, and he has a fantastic set of tools.

If you give him another year and get him closer to Bouchard in age, do you really want to take Bouchard over him?
I don't think anyone really wants Bouchard over Boqvist. Just that Boqvist is guarenteed to go top 4-5 and the Oilers won't be drafting there unless we win the lotto. And if thats the case we would be taking one of Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina. Unless this team loses like...every game till the end of the season and none of the teams above us win the lottery than we MIGHT finish 4/5 last.

Us getting Boqvist is nigh impossible unless he somehow drops.

Except the one poster who wants Bouchard above him. Also I think people here have seen Bouchard play a lot more than Boqvist due to our draft position anyways.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018

Boqvist is young but he also struggled when he was promoted to the senior league against men in SEL (so much so that he was sent back to the junior league). He's dominating a junior league where as Dahlin is plying his trade against men in the senior league. Boqvist isn't close to Dahlen.

That is my concern with Boqvist. He's struggled against older competition in Sweden which is an inferior league compared to the NHL. He wasn't all that great at the last tournament either. I thought his partner Lundqvist outplayed him. I think there are some red flags.

Now he is young. He does possess a ton of skill. So on projections yeah he seems like a dynamite prospect that should keep developing. But that doesn't always work out. Kylington was supposed to be the next great offensive Swedish dman. But his development stalled. Who's to say Boqvist's won't?

(Again not saying it will but just throwing it out there).

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Boqvist is young but he also struggled when he was promoted to the senior league against men in SEL (so much so that he was sent back to the junior league). He's dominating a junior league where as Dahlin is plying his trade against men. Boqvist isn't close to Dahlen.

That is my concern with Boqvist. He's struggled against older competition in Sweden which is an inferior league compared to the NHL. He wasn't all that great at the last tournament either. I thought his partner Lundqvist outplayed him. I think there are some red flags.

Now he is young. He does possess a ton of skill. So on projections yeah he seems like a dynamite prospect that should keep developing. But that doesn't always work out. Kylington was supposed to be the next great offensive Swedish dman. But his development stalled. Who's to say Boqvist's won't?

Boqvist is trending on the same path as Erik Karlsson at the same age. Dahlin on the other hand is on whole other level. I've said this before I'll say it again. If there's an answer to shutting down McDavid, it's Dahlin.

Reactions: dustrock

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Man Bode Wilde is the biggest boom/bust defense prospect in the 1st round. He's got all the physical traits & tools but very little hockey sense (maybe that isn't fair....better description might be "questionable hockey sense"). He also makes the most bone headed plays but then can make breath taking plays as well.

I want nothing to do with him but can acknowledge the intrigue with him. Personally just think he's going to top out as a Jack Johnson type defender (or complete bust). If he gets the right mentoring and coaching though watch out.

Sounds exactly like the type of player the Oilers should avoid, but an org with good development, like Tampa, should probably take a shot on.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Boqvist is young but he also struggled when he was promoted to the senior league against men in SEL (so much so that he was sent back to the junior league). He's dominating a junior league where as Dahlin is plying his trade against men in the senior league. Boqvist isn't close to Dahlen.

Very good point re: Kylington. I was furious when Calgary grabbed him instead of us, but he doesn't seem that amazing now. I was blown away by his tools at 16 but he never really...did much with them. I do think Boqvist has shown both a much steadier development than Kylington, and much better hockey IQ (both offensive and, especially, defensive). But you never know.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Boqvist is trending on the same path as Erik Karlsson at the same age. Dahlin on the other hand is on whole other level. I've said this before I'll say it again. If there's an answer to shutting down McDavid, it's Dahlin.

He's taking the same path as Karlsson because he's playing in the J20 SuperElit. And he broke EK's goal scoring record (Boqvist 25GP 14G 10A 24P vs EK 38GP 13G 24A 37P) but that doesn't mean he's going to be next EK.

EK developed by leaps and bounds after he was drafted. He also got bigger as he grew (added an inch or two) and added weight as well. There is no guarantee Boqvist will follow the same development model as EK. EK is probably a generational dman. The odds are Boqvist will fall short of EK.

The other great Swedish dmen that were drafted high all played in the senior league in there draft year. Hedman, Larsson etc. I think it's a knock that Boqvist was deemed not good enough to play in the senior league. Now he is young and he has lots of development time left. But lets not act like there isn't risk to drafting Boqvist. Boqvist put up 24 points in 25 games against the best juniors in Sweden. Now look at the other top dmen and there point totals in the league they play in. Lets not act like Boqvist's production is superior. I actually think it's lower then the other top dmen based on quality of competition.

Regarding Dahlin.....well there is nothing else left to say. There's a reason why he's considered generational.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've stopped watching Dahlin highlights and tape because it just makes me jealous that we won't get him, haha. But I can't wait to see what he can do in the NHL. He really seems to have McDavid-level awareness and almost as good hands and passing. Though his skating isn't anywhere near McDavid.

Reactions: McCanovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Very good point re: Kylington. I was furious when Calgary grabbed him instead of us, but he doesn't seem that amazing now. I was blown away by his tools at 16 but he never really...did much with them. I do think Boqvist has shown both a much steadier development than Kylington, and much better hockey IQ (both offensive and, especially, defensive). But you never know.
I remember wanting the Oilers to trade the 33rd pick for the 2 Calgary picks and then Calgary goes and grab the 2 guys I wanted lol

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I don't why the Oilers didn't select Debrincat with our 2nd rounder in 2016. We scouted that team extensively. We should have known all about him but no, we pass on him.

I was going through old OHL coaches poll to see if I could spot any trends that would be useful for identifying potential great draft picks. So I looked at the 2016 OHL coaches poll:

OHL Announces 2015-16 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Debrincat was named the most dangerous in the goal area and third best shot. He had chemistry with McDavid thing going to so you would have figured it was a no brainer pick for us. :mad:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't why the Oilers didn't select Debrincat with our 2nd rounder in 2016. We scouted that team extensively. We should have known all about him but no, we pass on him.

I was going through old OHL coaches poll to see if I could spot any trends that would be useful for identifying potential great draft picks. So I looked at the 2016 OHL coaches poll:

Debrincat was named the most dangerous in the goal area and third best shot. He had chemistry with McDavid thing going to so you would have figured it was a no brainer pick for us. :mad:

I mean...it's the Oilers, haha. Are you really that surprised?

Reactions: rambo97

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think I've mentioned Kravtsov in here yet. Like Denisenko, I have serious concerns that the Oilers would not be able to handle his development, but wow. I had no idea how unreal Kravtsov is playing in the playoffs right now:

He's currently the best KHL u-20 playoff scorer EVER:

all-time KHL U20 playoff scoring
1. Kravtsov 18yo 8GP 6-3-9 (season still ongoing) [ALMOST A GOAL PER GAME IN THE KHL PLAYOFFS!!! IN HIS DRAFT YEAR!]
2. Kuznetsov 19yo 12GP 7-2-9
3. Nichushkin 18yo 25GP 6-3-9
4. Tolvanen 18yo 8GP 5-1-6 (season still ongoing)

Edit - that was from his thread in the prospects section. Looks like he's currently at:
15GP 7G-5A-12P. So slowed down a little bit, but definitely showing it's not just a short hot streak. Damn. Word is that this explosion is a mix of development and finally getting the opportunity.

Draft him and leave him in Russia until 20. You won't regret it IMO.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I don't think I'm mentioned Kravtsov in here yet. Like Denisenko, I have serious concerns that the Oilers would not be able to handle his development, but wow. I had no idea how unreal Kravtsov is playing in the playoffs right now:

He's currently the best KHL u-20 playoff scorer EVER:

all-time KHL U20 playoff scoring
1. Kravtsov 18yo 8GP 6-3-9 (season still ongoing) [ALMOST A GOAL PER GAME IN THE KHL PLAYOFFS!!! IN HIS DRAFT YEAR!]
2. Kuznetsov 19yo 12GP 7-2-9
3. Nichushkin 18yo 25GP 6-3-9
4. Tolvanen 18yo 8GP 5-1-6 (season still ongoing)

Edit - that was from his thread in the prospects section. Looks like he's currently at:
15GP 7G-5A-12P. So slowed down a little bit, but definitely showing it's not just a short hot streak. Damn. Word is that this explosion is a mix of development and finally getting the opportunity.

Draft him and leave him in Russia until 20. You won't regret it IMO.
If they went Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard in the 1st and Kravtsov in the 2nd I'd be quite happy.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If they went Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard in the 1st and Kravtsov in the 2nd I'd be quite happy.

There's no way Kravtsov falls into the second round IMO. Not the way he's destroying the KHL playoffs. Maybe Denisenko due to less gaudy numbers + less opportunity. I'd love to grab either in the second, but I don't see it happening.

If it did though I'd want them to stay in Russia until they're so good even the Oilers can't f*** it up.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Dahlin
--
--
Bouchard
Boqvist
Dobson
Hughes
Smith

I know Boqvist is ranked higher by everyone and I understand it is due to his potential but he may never reach his full potential and Bouchard is as skilled but just lacks the speed component Boqvist possesses. If Bouchard can improve his speed and clean up a few areas (which can easily be fixed) then his potential is sky high as well (franchise dman potential). So for that reason I'm ranking him #2.

Honestly all the dmen have sky high potential. A few them will turn out to be franchise dmen. Some will bust. It's just hard to say which ones will turn out best.

2012 is a good reference point. The dmen selections were
#2 Murray
#4 Reinhart
#5 Rielly
#6 Lindholm
#7 Dumba
#8 Pouliot
#9 Trouba
#10 Koekkoek
#15 Ceci
#22 Maata
#23 Matheson
#25 Schmaltz
#28 Skjei

In a re-draft knowing what we know now those selections would be completely different.
If we had the benefit of hindsight I'd say Slavin (#120) & Parayko (#86) would go before every d-man in the 1st round other than Lindholm; and Gostisbehere (#78) would rise a ton.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

I doubt the Oilers scouted McDavid much. They knew what they were getting.

In that Erie-Soo series where Nurse and McDavid were head to head DeBrincat did not stand out at all.

Hindsight is fun. DeBrincat would have helped us this year, Benson still may be a good player and we won't care.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
He could be, but if next year Benson played like Debrincat has this year, this board would be beyond ecstatic, and I don't think it's going to happen.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I doubt the Oilers scouted McDavid much. They knew what they were getting.

In that Erie-Soo series where Nurse and McDavid were head to head DeBrincat did not stand out at all.

Hindsight is fun. DeBrincat would have helped us this year, Benson still may be a good player and we won't care.

Maybe but I remember that year I was watching the Otters telecast for a mid season game and the announcers were talking about the Oilers heavily scouting the Otters. They indicated on the telecast that they heard the Oilers really liked Taylor Raddysh. You would figure if we were heavily scouting the team they would have seen Debrincat's brilliance.

I guess we were so caught up with getting bigger that we ignored obvious skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad