Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Nashville parted ways with Cody Franson. The guy was benched for most of the first round and Nashville gave up their first rounder for a top 4 Toronto defenseman they hardly used.

I would stay far, far away from the Leafs.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Nashville parted ways with Cody Franson. The guy was benched for most of the first round and Nashville gave up their first rounder for a top 4 Toronto defenseman they hardly used.

I would stay far, far away from the Leafs.

Santorelli stunk up the joint too in Nashville.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Franson seemed like a weird fit, albeit Ellis was hurt for a good chunk of the second half. David Poile admitted that it perhaps wasn't the smartest thing to grab another RH D:

Franson's arrival gave Nashville four right-handed defensemen, a scarce commodity in the NHL. At the time of the trade, Poile was pleased to have another on the roster, with Franson joining a group consisting of captain Shea Weber, Seth Jones and Ryan Ellis. But it was ultimately a matter of having too much of a good thing.

"I think to be very honest, the fact that Franson was a right-handed shot — and the lefty-righty (defense pairs) all year (were) working really good for us — the righty-righty thing was, not making an excuse, but it wasn't the perfect situation for Franson or for us," Poile said. "I think when Shea went down (with a dislocated kneecap) and Franson got in there, and then he got to play in a lefty-righty situation, I think he played a lot better.

GhostofKenKlee

How about JVR/Kessel/Kadri for the 6th. 41st. and Gelinas and a cap dump (Clowe)?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
can we please stop entertaining any scenario in which Phil Kessel is on this team next season and we have to lose our draft pick

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Toronto will definitely be eating some salary on Kessel.

Kessel has been a top three goal scorer since 2009. If Toronto ate 20% of the contract, I'd give up a 2015 2nd, gelinas and boucher.

Your joking right? That is a terrible offer. Some of you severely underrate Kessel. He is still a top 10 goal scorer in the league.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
For those that are familiar with Barzal/Zacha, aside from completing busting lets say both become NHL regulars, whats the "worst case" scenario as to what they become (1C,2C, etc.).

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
For those that are familiar with Barzal/Zacha, aside from completing busting lets say both become NHL regulars, whats the "worst case" scenario as to what they become (1C,2C, etc.).

Zacha - defensive 3C
Barzal - playmaking RW on 2nd line

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Zacha 3rd line wing. Barzal either pans out as a top 6 player or isn't in the league.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Zacha 3rd line wing. Barzal either pans out as a top 6 player or isn't in the league.

From just looking at Zachas U18 highlights his size and speed and ability to drive the net with the puck or rip it is an attractive package. I've been on the Barzal bandwagon for a while but thats more because I've had limited viewing of Zacha.

All in all, Zacha looks like he could be a dynamite player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From just looking at Zachas U18 highlights his size and speed and ability to drive the net with the puck or rip it is an attractive package. I've been on the Barzal bandwagon for a while but thats more because I've had limited viewing of Zacha.

They both could be.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

If they do pick Zacha, I hope the Devils management are smart enough to send him back to junior. It would do him better to be the top guy for Sarnia rather than play fourth line minutes in the NHL.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
If they do pick Zacha, I hope the Devils management are smart enough to send him back to junior. It would do him better to be the top guy for Sarnia rather than play fourth line minutes in the NHL.

I hope they are as well. He's NHL-ready in his game, but really needs another year for his development.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I'll take Kessel if we can get him without trading the 6th overall AND Toronto retains at least 30%

Which won't happen. So they can pound salt. I rather go after Taylor Hall.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I've come to this precise conclusion as well.

I suppose the other possibility is Strome becomes the one to fall, and we take him in that scenario as well (although I don't think Barzal edges him in the long run). Or (less likely) that all 5 in front of us go Forward, at which point we trade back to someone who wants D.

If every team drafts forwards in front of us which I don't seen happening, I think it's going to be cause a team really liked Crouse cause he's definitely the wild card in this draft, which obviously means one of the two will be available. If not Strome but I think teams will like his size and skill too much, so he won't fall. But if McEichel, Strome, Marner and Barzal do go top 5 I think I would rather us just take Hanifin. Unless were offerered something rediculous to move down a few spots which I could see a team doing if they have the chance to draft the third best prospect in the draft 6th overall and possibly the best defense prospect of the last five years. This guy is the real deal. A level higher than Larsson as a prospect and we remember how highly touted he was. That means a trade for Larsson or Severson has to be on the table though.

A team like Phoenix would be really stupid to pass up on a player like Hanifin. They need another defenseman after OEL and they got all the young forward prospects they need: Domi, Duclair, Dvorak, Perlini, Samuelsson, MacInnis, etc. I mean how many scoring forward prospects do you need, especially when they have next to zero legit defenseman prospects and really haven't even drafted any. At this point Gormley will be lucky to have an NHL career. They should be salivating at the idea of having OEL and Hanifin playing 25+ mins a night. Hanifin is in my opinion a better version of Jay Bouwmeeter, potentially of course.

(EDIT) I just remembered the coyotes drafted Connor Murphy in first round four years ago, but he's nothing special he would be our 6th best young defensman/prospect.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is it June 26th yet????

Seriously - going to be a long wait for the draft to finally get here.

If the Devils pick up one of Barzal, Zacha or Rantanen (assuming the top 5 goes as expected) I'll be happy. This franchise just terrifies me with going off the board with their picks (call it the Adrian Foster effect) - though thankfully they made the obvious pick with Larsson a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad