Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durkin67

You might get more interest with this. Kessel and JvR are pretty much non-starters for most here in NJ.

Would be a 1st/2nd line center thats 24 and still a first around 24 or 25 i guess. Might be closer with this but who knows.

I think Kadri over values himself. He thinks he's worth Tavares money and that alone is reason enough to trade him.
I'd do this deal and take Barzal. Hanifin and Barzal would be a good haul for the Leafs' rebuild.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The problem with the term "Tavares money" is that Tavares makes 3m less per year on average than he should.

If we were closer to contending, I'd trade for Kessel. I don't put a single bit of stock in the whole "he disappears" and "bad attitude" and all that. He's a superstar winger with the whole-package offensive skillset, whose been playing on a terrible team with a terrible culture with almost entirely terrible forwards up until JVR joined the team.

But right now, we're likely to see Kessel begin to decline, and it's not worth trading the 6th overall this year when the best value from trading for Kessel would come in the first year or two after the deal, and not years 3, 4, or 5.

As for JVR, I just don't see him as the gamebreaker that Kessel is. But it's gonna be really interesting seeing how that team performs under competent management. JVR and Kessel could both easily have another guy if they end up spending next season with a center more fitting a top-6 role.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Alright so I've decided on who I want us to draft after reading all I can on all the projected top 10 prospects for this draft. It comes down to two players. It's either Marner or Barzal. One of them will be available in the 6th spot. If we pass on either one if available I will be very upset. If both are available I want Marner, simple as that.

I've come to this precise conclusion as well.

I suppose the other possibility is Strome becomes the one to fall, and we take him in that scenario as well (although I don't think Barzal edges him in the long run). Or (less likely) that all 5 in front of us go Forward, at which point we trade back to someone who wants D.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think there's a chance Strome slips to 6th. With Edmonton not picking at #3 anymore, I don't think Strome even makes it past Arizona.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I've come to this precise conclusion as well.

I suppose the other possibility is Strome becomes the one to fall, and we take him in that scenario as well (although I don't think Barzal edges him in the long run). Or (less likely) that all 5 in front of us go Forward, at which point we trade back to someone who wants D.

Im still having trouble.

Marner is 1 for me if he is there i believe. After that i bounce between Rantenan, Barzal, Zacha. Ill be happy with either.

Ummm also people need to get ready for the possible drafting of one Lawson Crouse. We are 6 and he has been mentioned in the top-5 more then a few times. If the top-5 go when they are supposed to we will be sitting here looking at Crouse, Rantanen, Barzal, and Zacha all available and because how highly touted Crouse seems to be among scouts he very well could be the pick at that spot. The combine and interviews will really iron out the small differences between them all.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Im still having trouble.

Marner is 1 for me if he is there i believe. After that i bounce between Rantenan, Barzal, Zacha. Ill be happy with either.

Ummm also people need to get ready for the possible drafting of one Lawson Crouse. We are 6 and he has been mentioned in the top-5 more then a few times. If the top-5 go when they are supposed to we will be sitting here looking at Crouse, Rantanen, Barzal, and Zacha all available and because how highly touted Crouse seems to be among scouts he very well could be the pick at that spot. The combine and interviews will really iron out the small differences between them all.

I wouldn't mind if we drafted Crouse, as he would be the best forward prospect in our system, but I wouldn't be too thrilled either because he's not the type of player we need to take with this pick.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't mind if we drafted Crouse, as he would be the best forward prospect in our system, but I wouldn't be too thrilled either because he's not the type of player we need to take with this pick.

I'm not too worried about Crouse. When his numbers didn't skyrocket after Bennett and Watson came back, I think the hype on him quieted down pretty significantly.

I feel like I should be knocking on wood when I say this, but I don't really see how the Devils can screw this pick up, provided they don't trade it. I feel like the 3rd tier of forwards (after McEichel and Stromarner) is much much deeper than we've seen in recent years. Lou could reach for Meier, Merkley, Svechnikov, Konecny, Connor...and I don't think it'd be a terrible pick.

The only truly "bad" picks I can see being made in the first round this year are Bittner and Carlo.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Cant say I blame you. I was a fan once upon a time,but despite his skill as a sniper, as a lifelong Leaf fan I cant wait to see the last of him.

No heart, selfish, entitled, and two seasons away from going the way of Dany Heatley...

We don't need a sniper while we rebuild.

Thanks for the feedback

After what u posted about Kessel I just wanted to say thanks for the initial trade offer.:sarcasm:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Cant say I blame you. I was a fan once upon a time,but despite his skill as a sniper, as a lifelong Leaf fan I cant wait to see the last of him.

No heart, selfish, entitled, and two seasons away from going the way of Dany Heatley...

We don't need a sniper while we rebuild.

Thanks for the feedback

Actually refreshing to see this take from a Leafs fan - seems everyone on the trade boards is blind to this side of Kessel.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Alright so I've decided on who I want us to draft after reading all I can on all the projected top 10 prospects for this draft. It comes down to two players. It's either Marner or Barzal. One of them will be available in the 6th spot. If we pass on either one if available I will be very upset. If both are available I want Marner, simple as that.

That's where I'm at as well - almost wish I didn't read up as much on the prospects as I did now, as I will be disappointed if the Devils don't take one of these guys with the pick. If Hanifan somehow drops though & these guys are gone it becomes interesting - would think the Devils have to make the pick though. For as much as the top 5 seems to be a lock now, I could see that changing by the time the draft arrives.

Is there any concern about the concussion that Marner suffered? Assuming it's his first one, but that does scare me a bit if he's the pick.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Via the prospects board in regards to Pavel Zacha:

Here's Zacha's 5 goals at the U-18's

https://vimeo.com/125823986 (2:02 mark)
https://vimeo.com/125994320 (2:42 mark)
https://vimeo.com/125637086 (0:49 mark)
https://vimeo.com/125394619 (1:28 mark absolute beauty)

For whatever reason Video cut out on the last video before he scored the 5th goal. He also crushs a latvian player cutting to the net in the last video.

His size, speed, hands and shot are all elite tools.

For me this is the best pro prospect outside of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Marner. Yes I actually like him more then Strome.

Love that first goal. I'm really warming to the idea of him being the pick at 6. His shot is a laser and the release is just as quick.

Durkin67

After what u posted about Kessel I just wanted to say thanks for the initial trade offer.:sarcasm:

I didn't offer you anything...I asked for opinions about a common rumour at least in TOR, that there will be discussion between Lou and Shanny regarding the 6th OA for Kessel. Id love to see it, and I make no bones about my thoughts on 81. It makes more sense for TOR to move him than for NJD to take him, no question. Just wanted the NJD perspective.

Durkin67

Actually refreshing to see this take from a Leafs fan - seems everyone on the trade boards is blind to this side of Kessel.

Truth is, Ive never seen a more disliked Leafs team in 30+ years...

You'll never see a Kessel banner hanging in TOR I guarantee it...he has no place alongside Clark, Gilmour, Sundin, Salming, MacSonald, Sittler, Keon, etc.

Top end skills but a brutal, sulky attitude. Get him out of here before he poisons the well for the young kids like Rielly, Nylander and hopefully Strome or Hanifin...

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Kessel is a huge contract and the Devils taking him would be akin to when the Rangers were able to dump Gomez or McDonough. No thank you, especially for 6th overall.

Anyone taking Kessel would be doing Tor a huge favor. I'd trade #41 and Gelinas, maybe next years 4th but THAT"s IT and I'd even be reluctant to do that deal...

We need goal scoring but his personality is NOT A FIT in our dressing room....

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Toronto will definitely be eating some salary on Kessel.

Kessel has been a top three goal scorer since 2009. If Toronto ate 20% of the contract, I'd give up a 2015 2nd, gelinas and boucher.

Durkin67

Kessel has been a top three goal scorer since 2009. If Toronto ate 20% of the contract, I'd give up a 2015 2nd, gelinas and boucher.

For 20% of that contract, TOR will want a top 10 pick no question, or a former top 10 pick and a prospect.

Unfortunately for TOR, I think they won't get to move him before the next trade deadline, and they're going to have to hope he comes to camp ready, plays out of his mind, keeps his mouth shut, and raises his value by being top 5 in scoring by next March. Then, in typical Leaf fashion, they'll be seduced into keeping him, and his habits will start to seep in again.

I hope Shanny sees through the facade...

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Kessel has a bad attitude from being in a losing environment for so long. I do not know what he would do for our team other than turn a top ten pick to an eleventh overall pick next year. If he is still available next year I would trade for him.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I didn't offer you anything...I asked for opinions about a common rumour at least in TOR, that there will be discussion between Lou and Shanny regarding the 6th OA for Kessel. Id love to see it, and I make no bones about my thoughts on 81. It makes more sense for TOR to move him than for NJD to take him, no question. Just wanted the NJD perspective.

Fair questions for sure

I'm not as down on him as a lot of people out there, but I think the deal would have to be the right one. Personally no way I would trade the 6th and would beupset if Lou did. The Devils would be getting a top prospect at #6 at a low price that would be with the organization for some time. If the Devils traded a much lower pick and 1 or 2 other pieces then quite possibly. PK could potentially flourish on a rebuilding team without much media pressure at all. I just feel like its a long shot and that Lou is not interested

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Thank goodness you are not our GM.

Do you see what TML fans are saying about Kessel?
They will drive him to the airport, want him gone asap.

It would be a disaster if Lou acquired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad