Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I thought it was a good idea but then i did a bit more digging and it really is stupid to take Richards on. To me there are so many more ways it can go wrong then right and hurt us in the long run.

yeah I didn't look into the cap implications if the Devils buy him out, etc. It was more of a spur of the moment thought without looking into detail. Even though it sounds bad I still have to be honest if at the Kings pick someone we want is there man I am still tempted to roll the dice even though most posts after talked me out of it.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Hence why I brought up on the team discussion thread about taking richards off the kings hands if it included their first. Without even really thinking about the ramifications of having Richards I was more thinking man could we get two of Marner/Barzal/Zacha?

The only hesitation I'd have on Richards would be his rumored awful work ethic at this point. He used to be "captain intangibles" along with Toews, but now he's apparently a fat lazy sack that doesn't put in work. Wouldn't want that around a young team.

However, cap wise I think we'd be fine. We're gonna suck this coming season, and suck a little less in 16-17. From there we could potentially be a good young team. But good young teams are all on relatively cheap deals. The way I see it, by the time we'd need to give substantial contract to the good young players we draft in upcoming drafts, Richards contract would be a non-issue.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With Guryanov, I really want him, but you have to find out his intentions. If he's at the draft, I guess there's interest in coming to N.A. I'd be willing to move up into the late-first to select him. However, you have to interview him. Fly Shero or a trusted assistant over to Russia to interview the kid. If he's a top-10 talent, expected to fall, it won't hurt to take initiative and try to figure out the kids intentions.

I'm pretty sure he was at the combine, so they likely interviewed him there.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
yeah I didn't look into the cap implications if the Devils buy him out, etc. It was more of a spur of the moment thought without looking into detail. Even though it sounds bad I still have to be honest if at the Kings pick someone we want is there man I am still tempted to roll the dice even though most posts after talked me out of it.

The only hesitation I'd have on Richards would be his rumored awful work ethic at this point. He used to be "captain intangibles" along with Toews, but now he's apparently a fat lazy sack that doesn't put in work. Wouldn't want that around a young team.

However, cap wise I think we'd be fine. We're gonna suck this coming season, and suck a little less in 16-17. From there we could potentially be a good young team. But good young teams are all on relatively cheap deals. The way I see it, by the time we'd need to give substantial contract to the good young players we draft in upcoming drafts, Richards contract would be a non-issue.

This while adding the first would be nice Richards contract is a penalty contract. I believe if he retires early its like 4 to 6 million of dead cap space.

Buy out yea that low for 2 years like 1.5 but then it jumps to 4.2 for two years and then for the next 6 its 1.4 or something along those line.

If we try and have him play it out and he get scratched or sent down he could just retire and hammer us with the penalty. I just feel like to much of a risk for a prospect that might not turn into anything.

But adding another 1st a different way would be tempting.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
You guys talk about taking on Richards so gleefully, without at all considering who's paying the man; the owners.

Why on Earth, especially after Harris' "ROI" spiel, would he take on Richards' contract for a pick that may or may not play 200 NHL games?

This is the same reason why I believe that both Ruutu and Zubrus (barring trades) will likely be on the team next year.

I am in the minority, I have no problems with Ruutu and Zubrus being on the roster next year playing bottom-6 minutes.

Of the Devils' current prospects, I believe that only Matteau will make the roster next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You guys talk about taking on Richards so gleefully, without at all considering who's paying the man; the owners.

Why on Earth, especially after Harris' "ROI" spiel, would he take on Richards' contract for a pick that may or may not play 200 NHL games?

This is the same reason why I believe that both Ruutu and Zubrus (barring trades) will likely be on the team next year.

I am in the minority, I have no problems with Ruutu and Zubrus being on the roster next year playing bottom-6 minutes.

Of the Devils' current prospects, I believe that only Matteau will make the roster next year.

That is a good way to look at it. 5 years x's $5mil='s $25 million for a draft pick? Yeah looking at it like that I'd have to say no.

GhostofKenKlee

Aren't Zubrus and Ruutu deals at the end of this upcoming season?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
What would you guys give for the 3rd OA if willing?

Not much.

At that point Hanifin would probably be the BPA, and I don't think the difference between Marner/Strome and the next tier of forwards is worth giving up what the Yotes would want. Rather keep 6 and keep all other assets that would be required.

GhostofKenKlee

Two weeks to go, the more I think about it. The more I wouldn't mind the Devils trading with Columbus and or San Jose and picking up more assets. If you believe the canadian media and anyone taken from 3-10 will be a good nhler that is.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Aren't Zubrus and Ruutu deals at the end of this upcoming season?

Yes. Hopefully they can increase their stock during the season(Ruutu mostly) and maybe we can get something at the deadline for them? I doubt it but I can hope.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yes. Hopefully they can increase their stock during the season(Ruutu mostly) and maybe we can get something at the deadline for them? I doubt it but I can hope.

I think I rate Ruutu more highly than most here.

He has absolutely struggled, but this is a guy that has eclipsed 50 points twice. There is something there.

For some salary retained on top of an already low pro-rated cap hit at the deadline, I think a contender would take a chance. Even if it's with a low draft pick. Contenders aren't trading for first line players at the deadline. They're rounding out teams that are already very good with third and fourth line players (which is what Ruutu is now).

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Two weeks to go, the more I think about it. The more I wouldn't mind the Devils trading with Columbus and or San Jose and picking up more assets. If you believe the canadian media and anyone taken from 3-10 will be a good nhler that is.

Getting a "now" player like Rychel for trading back would be nice but dealing just picks, I'd give strong consideration to moving back from 6 to 8 for picks #34 and #58 (2 2nd rounders for them to move up 2 spots).

NJ would have picks: 8, 34, 36, 41, 58, and 67 in the first 3 rounds. Four picks in the first 41 could be HUGE - also would give us the ammo to package up 36 and 41 to try to move up to around 25 if there is a guy in that area we like (Boeser/Guryanov).

Columbus takes Provorov at 6 and then we only have to wait on Philthy (who I think takes Zacha if we don't) - that still leaves Barzal for us.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Getting a "now" player like Rychel for trading back would be nice but dealing just picks, I'd give strong consideration to moving back from 6 to 8 for picks #34 and #58 (2 2nd rounders for them to move up 2 spots).

NJ would have picks: 8, 34, 36, 41, 58, and 67 in the first 3 rounds. Four picks in the first 41 could be HUGE - also would give us the ammo to package up 36 and 41 to try to move up to around 25 if there is a guy in that area we like (Boeser/Guryanov).

Columbus takes Provorov at 6 and then we only have to wait on Philthy (who I think takes Zacha if we don't) - that still leaves Barzal for us.

I would do that in a second.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I rate Ruutu more highly than most here.

He has absolutely struggled, but this is a guy that has eclipsed 50 points twice. There is something there.

For some salary retained on top of an already low pro-rated cap hit at the deadline, I think a contender would take a chance. Even if it's with a low draft pick. Contenders aren't trading for first line players at the deadline. They're rounding out teams that are already very good with third and fourth line players (which is what Ruutu is now).

If he gets back to a 40 point pace, I would think a 3rd at the deadline would be reasonable?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I seriously doubt you get two 2nds to move back two spots unless Hanifin's still there

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Highly doubt we get 2 2nd rnders to move down 2 spots. If that offer was on the table I do that with no questions.

I'd take one 2nd rnder to move down 2 spots. That cluster of guys,(Barzal, Zacha, Rantanen, etc) extends past the 8th pick.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
nichushkin straight up for the 6th overall pick so dallas can snag provorov. if they offer, do you take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad