Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

When are we going to get to the fireworks factory?!?

Linking to Cody's post with his final WHL ranking for those who missed it in the last thread: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Originally Posted by Mike27Devils View Post

My wish list
Round 1 (6th)
1.Marner 2.Zacha 3.Barzal 4.Rantanen

Round 2 (36th and 41st)
1.Guryanov 2.Dunn 3.Roslovic 4.Bracco 5.Senyshyn 6.Fischer

Round 3 (66th)
1.Hintz 2.Gropp 3.Foley 4.Speers

Quote:

I think we can get a good defenseman in the later rounds while it will be a lot easier to find top six talent in the second. So why draft Dunn in the second round?

Answer: Because our LHD prospect pool is pretty weak and he is A. Supposed to be the best skating defender in the draft behind Hanifan and B. Could have the highest offensive upside for a defenseman out of anyone in the draft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike27Devils View Post

My wish list
Round 1 (6th)
1.Marner 2.Zacha 3.Barzal 4.Rantanen

Round 2 (36th and 41st)
1.Guryanov 2.Dunn 3.Roslovic 4.Bracco 5.Senyshyn 6.Fischer

Round 3 (66th)
1.Hintz 2.Gropp 3.Foley 4.Speers

Would likely have to grab Hintz with a second rounder.

Comment: There will be players with higher upside available in the 2nd. I would love Hintz but he most likely will be a great defensive 3rd liner or average 2nd liner. Who knows though I hope he is available at 66.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Comment: There will be players with higher upside available in the 2nd. I would love Hintz but he most likely will be a great defensive 3rd liner or average 2nd liner. Who knows though I hope he is available at 66.

I can see Conte taking Hintz in the second round because he will almost assuredly be an NHL player and he seems to play Devils brand hockey.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I want Barzal, Bracco and Hintz

and once this law suit is done with ill decide who we should draft

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why Bracco? he is small

I liked his tenacity when I watched the USNTDP team up close. If he were 5'11, he'd probably be a surefire first rounder. As a bonus, he is an alumni of the New Jersey Rockets program: http://www.njrockets.com/news/junior/140311-bracco-record.shtml

ANN ARBOR, MI – The New Jersey Rockets are pleased to announce that program alumnus Jeremy Bracco (’97 birth year/Freeport, NY/Harvard University) broke the USANTDP’s record for assists in a single season with fifty-one, with his three assist performance against the Dubuque Fighting Saints on March 2nd. Bracco moved past Andy Hilbert and Patrick Kane who each had fifty assists in the 1998-1999 and 2005-2006 seasons respectively.

(He has since committed to Boston College)

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'm hoping that Boeser slips a little and is there for when we pick at #36....if not him, then perhaps Jake Debrusk. Bracco could be had late in the first to a team with multiple 1st rounders but I think he slips into the mid-2nd round. Otherwise, Roslovic or Senyshyn is intriguing. I like Fischer possibly at #41.

I like Dunn too and would consider him at #41 if we can nab two offensive forwards at 6 and 36. As for 67, depending where we're at, could go goalie or else take a shot on a guy like Timashov or Koroletsev..more of a boom or bust guy with scoring potential...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm hoping that Boeser slips a little and is there for when we pick at #36....if not him, then perhaps Jake Debrusk. Bracco could be had late in the first to a team with multiple 1st rounders but I think he slips into the mid-2nd round. Otherwise, Roslovic or Senyshyn is intriguing. I like Fischer possibly at #41.

I still have a gut feeling about Calgary ending up with Boeser in the first. They "need" RWs and Craig Button has Boeser ranked in his top 10. Button's brother Tod is still Calgary's director of amateur scouting. The last time Craig had somebody ranked unusually high was Mark Jankowski in 2012, and Calgary ended up with him. Can't help but think that he shares notes with his brother.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Why Bracco? he is small

I'd take Bracco. He looks like he could be similar to Johnny Gaudreau. Same size, Bracco's heavier, played in the Mid-Atlantic region, similar skillsets and production, went to or committed to BC.

I don't think you can write a player off on size anymore, as long as they can skate and aren't easily intimidated.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
I don't care how "small" they are. If the Devils are somehow able to get Marner and Bracco with their first two picks, that's a couple of steps in the right direction.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I like Dunn too and would consider him at #41 if we can nab two offensive forwards at 6 and 36. As for 67, depending where we're at, could go goalie or else take a shot on a guy like Timashov or Koroletsev..more of a boom or bust guy with scoring potential...

Debrusk would be a great grab at 36, and definitely plausible. Bracco I'd love, too. Really we just have to hope that new management (or as new as it can reasonably be) is committed enough to a rebuild that we shoot for high-upside guys (and preferably forwards...) with our first 3 or 4 picks.

I just have this feeling that we take a defenseman at 36 and get a "well we've been doing pretty well with defensemen in the second round..." quote from Conte, as if that's any sort of way to judge a selection.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Debrusk would be a great grab at 36, and definitely plausible. Bracco I'd love, too. Really we just have to hope that new management (or as new as it can reasonably be) is committed enough to a rebuild that we shoot for high-upside guys (and preferably forwards...) with our first 3 or 4 picks.

I just have this feeling that we take a defenseman at 36 and get a "well we've been doing pretty well with defensemen in the second round..." quote from Conte, as if that's any sort of way to judge a selection.

If we do grab a d-man in our first 3 picks, I'd hope it's one who has some strong offensive upside like a Vince Dunn....Larsson and Severson are both solid two-way guys with some offensive potential. Gelly has that booming shot. Merrill/Helgeson are more defensive and I'd say Hrbarenka possibly in the mold of Lars/Sever.

Lots of reports that have Provorov as the BPA at #6 and if NJ goes that route, then #36, #41, and #67 must all be used on forwards. I might be Ok if they opted for Hanifin or Provorov at #6 but my preference would be to go offense at #6 (Barzal), then a good winger at #36 and then maybe Dunn at #41. At 67, take a shot at a boom/bust guy and at #97 perhaps a goalie that we can take time and develop.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
We need forwards at every level of this organization, and we can certainly afford a year off from drafting D. Hanifin or even Provorov would be a mistake - we're not going to get a young, cost-controlled forward with star potential in a trade, drafting one is the only real way to acquire one. 6th overall should be between Zacha and Rantanen, though I wouldn't be upset with any of the forwards ranks around that spot.

Our 2nd rounders should also be forwards - this is a deep draft and we will almost certainly end up with two more players with top-6 potential. Some names I like in the 2nd are Guryanov, Dergachyov, Roslovic, Fischer, Hintz, maybe Beauvillier if he falls. Bracco would also be an interesting pick.

3rd and 4th rounders should be all about picking through what's left at forward. Only take a D if he's clearly BPA, and we really have no need for goalies with our tandem right now.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
We need forwards at every level of this organization, and we can certainly afford a year off from drafting D. Hanifin or even Provorov would be a mistake - we're not going to get a young, cost-controlled forward with star potential in a trade, drafting one is the only real way to acquire one. 6th overall should be between Zacha and Rantanen, though I wouldn't be upset with any of the forwards ranks around that spot.

Our 2nd rounders should also be forwards - this is a deep draft and we will almost certainly end up with two more players with top-6 potential. Some names I like in the 2nd are Guryanov, Dergachyov, Roslovic, Fischer, Hintz, maybe Beauvillier if he falls. Bracco would also be an interesting pick.

3rd and 4th rounders should be all about picking through what's left at forward. Only take a D if he's clearly BPA, and we really have no need for goalies with our tandem right now.

I want Barzal. He is an absolute stud for team Canada and sees the ice so well. He is the type of guy who can skate around the net and keep the puck and then setup the perfect pass in the slot. He is my first choice if Marner does not drop.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I want Barzal. He is an absolute stud for team Canada and sees the ice so well. He is the type of guy who can skate around the net and keep the puck and then setup the perfect pass in the slot. He is my first choice if Marner does not drop.

I'm not sold on Barzal - he gets way too much bandwagon hype around here. Good player, but in two WHL seasons he's only scored .25 goals per game. That's only 20 goals a year in the NHL if he hits 100% of his potential, which usually doesn't happen. Very few players put up points at a higher rate in the NHL than the CHL, most put up significantly less.

...that said, if our scouts took Barzal I would consider it a very significant vote of confidence, and I would be ok with it.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't hate taking Hanafin or Provorov if they're still around.

Looking at Anaheim's plan and the young defense they have back there. Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Despres, with a very good veteran leader in Beauchemin. That's what we should be aiming for.

Obviously Anaheim has one of the best offensive combos in the league up front and some great young supporting forwards. But we also have Schneider, which is an advantage on our side. It also makes guys like Gelinas, Merrill, Jacobs, etc more expendable.

I would probably still prefer a forward if talent is equal, but I'm coming down off the ledge on this one a bit. If it's Hanafin or Provorov, I wouldn't hate it. Take some falling 1st round forward talent with our two 2nds, make a few trades, and hope for the best.

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
I'm not sold on Barzal - he gets way too much bandwagon hype around here. Good player, but in two WHL seasons he's only scored .25 goals per game. That's only 20 goals a year in the NHL if he hits 100% of his potential, which usually doesn't happen. Very few players put up points at a higher rate in the NHL than the CHL, most put up significantly less.

...that said, if our scouts took Barzal I would consider it a very significant vote of confidence, and I would be ok with it.

Barzal is (and has always been) a playmaking center. So, you shouldn't be reading anything in to his goal totals.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
lol that barzal argument re: his goals scored has def been rehashed her a billion times. we're all going crazy!

his assists/points ratio is really high though, its kind of amazing

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I like the idea of a guy who can hold onto the puck, giving his other linemates a chance to come back from the d-zone and set up a solid possession.

If Jagr had been as fast as a guy like Barzal or Marner, imagine how many points he (and Zajac) would've put up.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
from http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1902241

Interview w Zacha

There is a big chance you will be drafted in top 10 this year. Did you see a list of your potential further teams? Do you have some favorite amongst them?

I checked teams that will pick players between 5th and 12th place. There are teams I would like to play for. It doesn't matter at which place they will pick me of. There are some super teams like for example New Jersey, Philadelphia, Colorado or San Jose. Great cities, great organizations. It is hard to choose something concrete. I would be happy, if some of these teams picked me.

HE LIKES US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad