WJC: Team Finland 2024 U20 WJC roster Talk.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He’s 18 now
Ijuka is right.

I understand you are a supporter of London Knights but when he puts the Leijonat jersey on he better deserve it.

He's nowhere as talented as others before him nor this years Kemell, Helenius, Nyman or Kiviharju.
He's exactly one of those specific talents who needs to show something worth mentioning this year, otherwise he's not even a sure bet in the final roster imo.
Hämeenaho is another one I'm not that high on yet, but he has showed a whole lot more than Halttunen ever has and Hämeenaho is a sure bet so yeah, Halttunen better start get to work from the beginning. Produce no matter how, skill or will.

Reactions: LDN

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Jesse Nurmi is a bit of a Leevi Aaltonen prospect for me. Even if I believe Nurmi can have a bigger motor, better forechecker and is better suited for a bottom line in the NHL in the future. If everything pans out that is. I still do think it's unfortunate that he didn't move overseas and played one year in a junior league to develop his offensive skill. He could've been something more I feel. KooKoo does not have the culture to develop high end prospects.
Instead of just grinding amongst KooKoos Liiga-team it could've been interesting to see if he could've added more things to his repertoire.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
On Leevi Aaltonen, a bit of a waste as well. Guy started playing in Liiga at the age of 18, far before he was ready. Never developed any offensive game as a result. Either Mestis or even CHL in North America would have been far better for him.

Nurmi is more talented but yeah, it's looking quite likely that he too is playing in Liiga far too early.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Let's get going. Taking an early guess:

Hämeenaho-Keskinen-Nyman
-Helenius-Kemell
Rautiainen-Lassila-Hemming
Nurmi
-Rönni-Kiiskinen

Kaskimäki, Alasiurua, Halttunen, Hokkanen, Bau, Uronen, Noiva, Leppä, Lundell, Kumpulainen
This could and will probably change in two months.
Some players are almost a lock for me in a certain position and with a certain role in the team.
But Kaskimäki, Uronen, Halttunen, Alasiurua are a bit difficult to evaluate as for now.
I want Hemming in PP, just as Kemell, Hämeenaho, Nyman and Helenius. So it could be a bit tricky to find good formations there. Does anyone have any ideas or a guess?
A lot of these mentioned centers (except Helenius (also winger) feel like top9 caliber compared to most earlier rosters but no one is standing out.
Kaskimäki needs to show more. Kiiskinen too perhaps.
Why I hope Helenius can play on an another position than RW is simply because we are so stacked at that position compared to every other position.

Kiviharju-Kulonummi
Pieniniemi-Salin
Kangas-Minkkinen

Kärki, Joona Väisänen, Is Elmeri Laaksonen injured?

Questionable defending to say the very least. Hopefully capable in their own zone. With Kiviharju as an exception and as a question mark against tougher opponents considering his physicality. Hopefully he can show some brilliance on offense.

Kokko
Vinni
Vedenpää

Possible third goalies: Vali or Leinonen instead of Vinni or Vedenpää.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erikfromfin

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
What are the odds that Max Koskipirtti or Lauri Raiman make this team if they have strong starts to their college careers? At least one (likely Koskipirtti) will be in the top 6 at Michigan Tech to start the year

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
What are the odds that Max Koskipirtti or Lauri Raiman make this team if they have strong starts to their college careers? At least one (likely Koskipirtti) will be in the top 6 at Michigan Tech to start the year
Everything can always happen but as for now? Highly unlikely.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Halttunen with two PP goals already in his first game. That's exactly what he needs to perform to shut his doubters, me being one of them.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Keskinen, Lassila and Helenius have all looked good playing center in Liiga this season. All 3 can also skate well. Finland should have a much better center group this year than last year. Last year's center group was so bad.

Not having Kiviharju sucks, because defense was already looking very weak.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Let's get going. Taking an early guess:

Hämeenaho-Keskinen-Nyman
-Helenius-Kemell
Nurmi
-Rönni-Kiiskinen

Kaskimäki, Alasiurua, Halttunen, Hokkanen, Bau, Uronen, Noiva, Leppä, Lundell, Kumpulainen
This could and will probably change in two months.
Some players are almost a lock for me in a certain position and with a certain role in the team.
But Kaskimäki, Uronen, Halttunen, Alasiurua are a bit difficult to evaluate as for now.
I want Hemming in PP, just as Kemell, Hämeenaho, Nyman and Helenius. So it could be a bit tricky to find good formations there. Does anyone have any ideas or a guess?
A lot of these mentioned centers (except Helenius (also winger) feel like top9 caliber compared to most earlier rosters but no one is standing out.
Kaskimäki needs to show more. Kiiskinen too perhaps.
Why I hope Helenius can play on an another position than RW is simply because we are so stacked at that position compared to every other position.

Kiviharju-Kulonummi
Pieniniemi-Salin
Kangas-Minkkinen

Kärki, Joona Väisänen, Is Elmeri Laaksonen injured?

Questionable defending to say the very least. Hopefully capable in their own zone. With Kiviharju as an exception and as a question mark against tougher opponents considering his physicality. Hopefully he can show some brilliance on offense.

Kokko
Vinni
Vedenpää

Possible third goalies: Vali or Leinonen instead of Vinni or Vedenpää.
Changed scenario already. Some small changes:

Hämeenaho-Keskinen-Kemell (if he's avalaible)
Hemming (if him or Halttunen can play LW that is)-Helenius-Nyman
Rautiainen-Lassila-Halttunen
Nurmi-Rönni-Kiiskinen

Hokkanen (potential fourth liner), Bau (-II-), Huovila (potential third liner and surprise?), Alasiurua, Leppä

I think I rather prefer defensive minded D's this upcoming tournament. Or at least D's that can actually defend. A bit like Jalonen often selected his troops at the back end.
Because it's clear that when Kiviharju is out we only have Veeti Väisänen who is highly ranked but I'm a bit skeptical if he's ready for this level yet, I just don't think so.
I wouldn't mind if they would have some size and skating ability.

Pieniniemi-Salin
Kangas-Kulonummi
Kärki-Minkkinen
Peltonen-Joona Väisänen
Soini-Talvikunnas
Pulkkinen-
As you can read a lot of question marks but I'd hope the coach could find defenders that can actually help our goalie to win some crucial games if possible.

Veeti Väisänen, Muhonen, Laakso, Vesala, Junkkari, Jokinen, Nissinen

1. Kokko or Vinni.
3. Vali.

Vedenpää trending down just as Leinonen.

Reactions: Keke and illone84

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Okay, Kaskimäki seems be heading against a top6 role under this month. Question is if Helenius will be played as a center or winger.
Because right now I get the feeling that it could be the reason if Halttunen makes it or not. He seems to be able to score at PP but otherwise I'm not sure if he's good enough for a top9 role and I see others be more suited for the bottom role.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed by his numbers either. Kärki has been lot more productive than that and so far Halttunen still seems to be a one trick pony. Also, considering his size I actually think he should be able to dominate more considering that combined with his shot.

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Okay, Kaskimäki seems be heading against a top6 role under this month. Question is if Helenius will be played as a center or winger.
Because right now I get the feeling that it could be the reason if Halttunen makes it or not. He seems to be able to score at PP but otherwise I'm not sure if he's good enough for a top9 role and I see others be more suited for the bottom role.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed by his numbers either. Kärki has been lot more productive than that and so far Halttunen still seems to be a one trick pony. Also, considering his size I actually think he should be able to dominate more considering that combined with his shot.
I've been wondering about Halttunen too. Finland already has Kemell and Nyman as PP weapons. Do they even need Halttunen?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Maybe Finland should try something like this if possible.
1st line Kaskimäki Lassila Hämeenaho.
Salin Pieniniemi

2nd line Helenius Keskinen Nyman
Kulonummi Kangas

3rd line
Halttunen Kumpulainen Hemming
Kärki Minkkinen

4th line Nurmi Leppä Uronen.

7th Dman Veeti Väisänen
13th forward Tuomas Suoniemi.

Goalies
Niklas Kokko
Topias Leinonen
Noa Vali

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Updated.
Hämeenaho-Keskinen-Kemell
Kaskimäki-Helenius-Nyman
Nurmi-Bau-Kiiskinen

Kumpulainen, Hokkanen, Hynninen, Halttunen.
Could really see Hokkanen taking a spot as winger on the checking line as well.

Kärki-Salin
Pieniniemi-Kulonummi
Kangas-Joona Väisänen
Pulkkinen-Minkkinen
Veeti Väisänen-Soini

Goalies:
Vinni
Kokko
Vali

Vedenpää as reserv

Last edited:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Updated.
Helenius-Kaskimäki-Nyman
Nurmi-Bau-Kiiskinen

Kärki-Salin
Pieniniemi-Kulonummi
Kangas-Joona Väisänen
Pulkkinen-Minkkinen
Veeti Väisänen-Soini

Goalies:
Vinni
Kokko
Vali

Vedenpää as reserv
How is this team looking? Gold?

• Haha

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
How is this team looking? Gold?
Defense is very weak. No Kiviharju. Kärki and Salin are offensive d-men with bad defense. Finland's defense will get destroyed by USA/Canada/Sweden.

There's goal scoring potential on wings (Kemell, Hämeenaho, Nyman, Hemming, Halttunen). Finland should be able to score some goals and not get shutout.

Centers are ok, but not great. Keskinen is a big surprise this season. Young guy Helenius should play center. Lassila has been pretty good in Liiga this season.

I don't know about goaltending. Kokko is the only one playing in Liiga, but he hasn't played many games.

My prediction: Quarter-finals loss or Bronze medal game loss.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Defense is very weak. No Kiviharju. Kärki and Salin are offensive d-men with bad defense. Finland's defense will get destroyed by USA/Canada/Sweden.

There's goal scoring potential on wings (Kemell, Hämeenaho, Nyman, Hemming, Halttunen). Finland should be able to score some goals and not get shutout.

Centers are ok, but not great. Keskinen is a big surprise this season. Young guy Helenius should play center. Lassila has been pretty good in Liiga this season.

I don't know about goaltending. Kokko is the only one playing in Liiga, but he hasn't played many games.

I fully agree.

The sad thing is that the only d's worth mentioning aren't that good in their own zone. I mean Kärki, Pulkkinen, Salin and perhaps both Väisänens. And still, their not close to the level Czech Republic had last year in Jiricek, Svozil, Spacek and others. Or Heinola or even Niemelä.
The defensive minded or at least capable perhaps hasn't developed enough.

The offense is more than decent so the roster or team would've needed defensive understanding and ability more among it's D's to be competitive I believe.
Because the goalies could be okay for us but they will need help against Canada and the US and also Sweden and the Czechs.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech Republic had last year in Jiricek, Svozil, Spacek
That was an absolute blip in Czech history.lol 2 of them got in NHL games before the season ended. I'm not sure but I don't think any other country had 2 of their D play in the NHL after the WJC? I only brag about it because it's never happened before and it probably never will happen again.lol

Eg. this year, we have a good D core.. probably our best D core in a decade or more. But it's nowhere near as good as last year's core. We may actually even cut a good Dman and have a pissing contest online on who shouldn't have been cut from the D. This has never happened before either.haha

• Love

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Thanks, I haven't been following the Finn's and wasn't sure. I really like Kviraharju (spelling, sorry) and was sad to see he was hurt. Was dying to see him against his peers in a big spotlight.

I have been reading though that it's a really strong draft group. Looks like a lot of good guys in the pipe!

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

+ Less than average coaching. Another QF loss in the horizon unfortunately.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Updated.
Kaskimäki-Helenius-Nyman
Nurmi-Bau-Kiiskinen

Kärki-Salin
Pieniniemi-Kulonummi
Kangas-Joona Väisänen
Pulkkinen-Minkkinen
Veeti Väisänen-Soini

Goalies:
Vinni
Kokko
Vali

Vedenpää as reserv

Why do you have Vinni over Kokko?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Why do you have Vinni over Kokko?
I actually don't, i just named those three because it seems clear that Kärpät find Kokko better than Visa Vedenpää and he (Visa) haven't been that good for Finland in those exhibition games. Therefor I believe prefer Vali over Vedenpää but who knows.
The bull himself named Leinonen but for me he's completely out of question. If you haven't played a single game when October is heading towards it end it's over for me. Just like with Elmeri Laakso.
But I have a feeling they will pick Kokko, Vedenpää and Vinni. And I have a strong feeling it will be either Vedenpää or Vali together with Vinni and Kokko no matter what.

Side note, actually quite interesting that two goalies from the same team can and will probably be selected and that Seattle Kraken did that too, selected them both.

Well, no matter what I do believe these two, three or for goalies could be decent or even good but it's pretty difficult to evaluate that for now and if their efforts and stats keep on going in the same way I think it could head towards winning the first spot for someone, rather than losing it.
No one has impressed this year.

Second note, Vali is born in the same city as another smallish goalie, Saros. Even if Vali is a bit bigger of course. Who knows, perhaps Forssa is the way to go lol.

This team would've needed one more Liiga defender like Elmeri, or at least it wouldn't hurt when Kiviharju is out.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
How has Koskipirtti been? Strengths? Weaknesses?
I still do believe both Bau and Kumpulainen could go before him when Rönni is out.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
How has Koskipirtti been? Strengths? Weaknesses?
I still do believe both Bau and Kumpulainen could go before him when Rönni is out.
Only been 5 games but I think he’s been one of our better forwards. Hands and creativity are very good and the increased pace of play going from junior to college hasn’t been an issue. He also plays a very mature game for being a freshman who’s never played in North America before. Good attention to detail in all 3 zones. Could be a bit stronger on pucks at times (but that’s to be expected given he’s playing guys up to 4 or 5 years older than him) and his shot doesn’t seem to be much of a threat but other than that he’s been solid. We’ve really struggled for offense thus far but he’s been in on 4 out of 9 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad