WJC: Team Finland 2024 U20 WJC roster Talk.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Dear god, NO! Lauri Mikkola is the next U20 head coach.:facepalm:
Kärpistä potkut saanut yllätysnimi nousemassa Nuorten Leijonien päävalmentajaksi - ElmoTV
They never learn......
Mikko Koivu and JP Hytönen as assistant coaches, and Pekka Rinne as a goalie coach. Most likely.

Jääkiekkoliitto on tehnyt myös U18- ja U17-maajoukkueiden päävalmentajavalinnat.

U18-maajoukkueen päävalmentajaksi on ElmoTV:n tietojen mukaan tulossa Marko Kauppinen ja U17-maajoukkueen päävalmentajaksi Kalle Kaskinen.
ElmoTV idiots don't know that Kauppinen has been the upcoming U18 coach for last 2 years. Matti Tiilikainen was the U16 head coach last season and was supposed to be the next U17 head coach, but he left to Germany and was replaced by equally bad coach Kalle Kaskinen. Next U16 and future U17 & U18 head coach is still mystery.

They never learn.....

Reactions: Jukurit

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
So waste another year then.... I have to say, I have not much trust for that guy. Sounds like Lämsä part 2. Well this was going to be Swedens year anyway.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What do Kärpät fans think about Mikkola?
I don't know what Kärpät fans think about Mikkola.
But i would say once again liitto shows their incompentency
to hire any serious / proven coach to U20, U17 national teams.

When all brain-dead morons in liitto will learn their lesson
of that we cannot win jackshit with joke coaches like Mikkola, Kaskinen etc.
whose all got fiired from SM liiga and haven't won jackshit in their coaching careers.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hooray bravo. Here we ago again.
Same incompentency circus continues.

Dear god, NO! Lauri Mikkola is the next U20 head coach.:facepalm:
Kärpistä potkut saanut yllätysnimi nousemassa Nuorten Leijonien päävalmentajaksi - ElmoTV
They never learn......
Mikko Koivu and JP Hytönen as assistant coaches, and Pekka Rinne as a goalie coach. Most likely.

ElmoTV idiots don't know that Kauppinen has been the upcoming U18 coach for last 2 years. Matti Tiilikainen was the U16 head coach last season and was supposed to be the next U17 head coach, but he left to Germany and was replaced by equally bad coach Kalle Kaskinen. Next U16 and future U17 & U18 head coach is still mystery.

They never learn.....
Finnish junior national team coaching is screwed up.
Now it's proved. Vitun idiootit ( jääkiekkoliitto ).

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Finnish hockey is seriously f***ed and screwed up immediately when JJ retires.
Maybe Finland's ending to relegation round in U20 WJC's once again might be
that hard and brutal wake up call what those brain-dead idiots in liitto really needs.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Not talking about U20 but U18 coaches typically work through the cycle where they have same coach for three years. Starting as U16 team and ending it at U18 Worlds. And no big name is really interested doing that. Sometimes coach has left in the middle of the period which has led bigger name signings.

However it is notable that coaches like Jussi Ahokas and Tommi Niemelä became household names after winning U18 title while pretty much no one knew them when they started the project. Jussi Tapola also went through the system although not with that much success (fourth place).

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Not talking about U20 but U18 coaches typically work through the cycle where they have same coach for three years. Starting as U16 team and ending it at U18 Worlds. And no big name is really interested doing that. Sometimes coach has left in the middle of the period which has led bigger name signings.

However it is notable that coaches like Jussi Ahokas and Tommi Niemelä became household names after winning U18 title while pretty much no one knew them when they started the project. Jussi Tapola also went through the system although not with that much success (fourth place).
Yes indeed but i think the system works, but they have hired the wrong coaches these last few years. Ahokas, Niemelä and let's add Juuso Nieminen to the list, who won silver in 2017. They all came from U20 Liiga, i think "The Liitto" should go back hiring junior league coaches rather these failed Liiga coaches.

Couple examples for the U16-U18 project:
Jussi Taipale
2014-2015 Tappara U16, 3rd in regular season, bronze medal game loss
2015-2020 Tappara U18, 1 silver and 1 bronze medal game loss
2020-present Tappara U20, 1 gold and 1 semifinal loss(no bronze medal game, covid)

Antti Aarnio
2014-2015 Kärpät U18 asst. coach, won gold
2015-2018 Kärpät U18 head coach, 1 x gold, 2 x bronze, coach of the year 2018
2018-2019 Red Bull hockey academy U16 head coach
2019-2020 Red Bull hockey academy U18 head coach
2020-2022 Red Bull Juniors asst. coach
2022-2023 Red Bull hockey academy U18 head coach

Jari Karppinen
2011-2012, 2013-2015 Kärpät U16 head coach, 2 x silver, 1 bronze medal game loss, coach of the year 2015
2017-2018 Kärpät U20 asst. coach, won silver
2018-2023 Kärpät U18 head coach, 1 x gold, 1 x silver, coach of the year 2020 & 2021(regular season winner, no playoffs due to covid)

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Leijonat - Poikien ja tyttöjen maajoukkueiden valmennus ja huippukiekon vahvistustoimet kaudella 2023–24

Mikkola confirmed, 1+2 year contract.

Mikael Kotkaniemi named head coach of the 2007-age class. This season's U17 head coach and U18 head coach for next year.
Mikael Kotkaniemi at eliteprospects.com

Tuomo Ropo is the new head coach of the 2008-age class(U16) and naturally U17 head coach next year, and U18 head coach after that.
Tuomo Ropo at eliteprospects.com

Kotkaniemi and Ropo are interesting picks, Kotkaniemi won U20 Liiga championship in 2022 and Suomi-Sarja championship in 2021. Liiga gold in 2013 as a assistant coach. Ropo won Mestis championship in 2022 and silver in 2023. Not the biggest members of the Vierumäki gentlemen's club

And Juuso Nieminen returns to coaching, girls U16 head coach. I would have hired Nieminen to U20 head coach.

Finnish Ice Hockey Association is also looking for "coaching/sports director", i hope Ika Lehkonen applies for the job.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I must say, I have a problem with Lauri Mikkola as the U20 coach.

However, I have an even bigger problem figuring out who they should have gotten instead. It's not like they can just call central casting and ask for a better coach if none are available.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I would throw in Pekka Virta as a wildcard. Virta has "played" Liiga through, 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 2 x coach of the year. Main reason why Virta took a coaching job in HockeyEttan was that his wife works in Stockholm and Virta wanted to spend more time with her.

National team coaching is not 24/7 job, so Virta could spend more time with his wife in Sweden and still coach at the high level. Virta is a good coach for long term projects, im not so sure how his style would work in tournament coaching but he's been succesful.
I knew it he was interested, Virta would have been so much better. But when you are not a member of Vierumäki Gentleman's Club, you are not welcomed.
Kovan luokan valmentaja sivuutettiin Nuorten Leijonien valinnassa: "Skandaali!"

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Usually i don't agree with Petteri Sihvonen but now i will.
What a f***ing joke hire that loser Mikkola to next U20 head coach.
Liitto really wants to see U20 Team Finland in relegation round before they do more now it is proved.

I must say, I have a problem with Lauri Mikkola as the U20 coach.

However, I have an even bigger problem figuring out who they should have gotten instead. It's not like they can just call central casting and ask for a better coach if none are available.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pekka Virta is a more accomplished coach than Mikkola, but I do have a reason to question him being a fitting name for coaching juniors. It's a bit of a world of its own. So, I wouldn't exactly have been excited to see another being in the mold of Jortikka and Rautakorpi behind the bench.

Petteri Sihvonen of course thinks Virta would have been a great fit, since Petteri Sihvonen's job is to find scandals wherever he can. And why wouldn't he - as there are evidently people who provide a fertile ground for it.

If we are to consider suitable creatures, one available name that pops to mind is Jouko Myrrä. But I'm not going to say they should have hired him, since I don't know if he would have been interested.

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
U20 camp roster for WJSS

Maalivahdit:
Kokko Niklas, Kärpät Oulu
Leinonen Topias, JYP Jyväskylä

Puolustajat:
Grönlund Thomas, Lukko Rauma
Kiviharju Aron, HIFK Helsinki
Kulonummi Kasper, Tappara Tampere
Kärki Arttu, Tappara Tampere
Laakso Elmeri, SaiPa Lappeenranta
Pieniniemi Emil, Kärpät Oulu
Salin Otto, HIFK Helsinki
Väisänen Joona, Kiekko-Espoo

Hyökkääjät:
Bau Samu, Ilves Tampere
Halttunen Kasper, HIFK Helsinki
Helenius Konsta, Jukurit Mikkeli
Hämeenaho Lenni, Ässät Pori
Järventie Emil, Saipa Lappeenranta
Kaskimäki Aleksanteri, HIFK Helsinki
Kemell Joakim, Nashville Predators NHL
Koskipirtti Max, Michigan Tech NCAA
Lassila Jere, JYP Jyväskylä
Nyman Jani, Ilves Tampere
Rönni Topi, Tappara Tampere
Tolppola Venni, Lukko Rauma

Kiviharju and Helenius 2024 draft eligibles.
Never heard of Koskipirtti or Tolppola.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Pekka Virta is a more accomplished coach than Mikkola, but I do have a reason to question him being a fitting name for coaching juniors. It's a bit of a world of its own. So, I wouldn't exactly have been excited to see another being in the mold of Jortikka and Rautakorpi behind the bench.

Petteri Sihvonen of course thinks Virta would have been a great fit, since Petteri Sihvonen's job is to find scandals wherever he can. And why wouldn't he - as there are evidently people who provide a fertile ground for it.

If we are to consider suitable creatures, one available name that pops to mind is Jouko Myrrä. But I'm not going to say they should have hired him, since I don't know if he would have been interested.
It's not about finding scandals, Sihvonen loves Pekka Virta just like he loves Jalonen above all. Virta and Jalonen base their game to pretty much similar system, also known as "Meidän Peli". Both have their own twists, but it's quite similar. And Sihvonen, hate it or love it, has been correct for years when vouching for Meidän Peli even before it started to bring gold after gold.

Liitto has done some terrible mistake with hiring processes, Lämsä was absurdly bad. He had this smart idea to play coast to coast Canada hockey in their soil, and what happened. Liitto should establish Jalonen hockey as a standard for every single coach they hire, obviously they all will bring their own twists but it should be a standard.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It's not about finding scandals, Sihvonen loves Pekka Virta just like he loves Jalonen above all. Virta and Jalonen base their game to pretty much similar system, also known as "Meidän Peli". Both have their own twists, but it's quite similar. And Sihvonen, hate it or love it, has been correct for years when vouching for Meidän Peli even before it started to bring gold after gold.

Liitto has done some terrible mistake with hiring processes, Lämsä was absurdly bad. He had this smart idea to play coast to coast Canada hockey in their soil, and what happened. Liitto should establish Jalonen hockey as a standard for every single coach they hire, obviously they all will bring their own twists but it should be a standard.

You give way too much credit / critique / importance for the coach and system imo. The talent of the players had a good period but now it has passed. Not that the talent is bad now or anything, but its less likely to win Silver/Gold against superior teams from US/Can in the last few years and next few years.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
You give way too much credit / critique / importance for the coach and system imo. The talent of the players had a good period but now it has passed. Not that the talent is bad now or anything, but its less likely to win Silver/Gold against superior teams from US/Can in the last few years and next few years.
This is also very true.

Can anyone name a prospect near Lundells, Heinolas, Niemeläs etc and their level?

The only one that comes up to mind is Kiviharju and he hasn't showed anything yet, not at Liiga-level nor the WJC's. Don't forget both Heinola and Niemelä were the best D's in in the whole tournament when they played. Imho even better than some early first rounders from Canada who still were good as well.
Well perhaps Kemell is worth mentioning as well but it stops there.
Before that you had guys like Kupari, Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Hirvonen, Kotkaniemi, Kakko etc etc. I mean a prospect like Roy Järventie didn't even manage at the WJC's back then.
Besides Kemell there isn't a single one being better or at the same level than those and other names. I mean Halttunen and even Hämeenaho are not even remotely close.
They would have had a hard time making the roster even.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Hämeenaho - Rönni - Kemell
Halttunen - Kaskimäki - Nyman
Kiiskinen - Kumpulainen - Helenius
Männistö - Bau - Lassila

Kiviharju - Salin
Pieniniemi - Kulonummi
Laakso - Kärki
Jokinen

Kokko
Leinonen

What do people think?
Defense looks bad.
Centers look bad.
Wingers look ok.
Coaching is bad.
Going to be a rough tournament for Finland.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I don't think so. US/Can are always superior due to sheer masses, it has always been so. Only way Finland, Czechs etc. can fight against that is system, that's why Finland has won so many medals best vs best over the years, even though material isn't even close to NA countries.

Sure, Finland had couple excellent batches of players and and they won gold immediately. Why? Superior system combined with lot of talent like Rantanen, Aho and Laine. Finns have a good pool coming again with 2006-07 born players so coaching better be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad