WJC: Team Finland 2024 U20 WJC roster Talk.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't think so. US/Can are always superior due to sheer masses, it has always been so. Only way Finland, Czechs etc. can fight against that is system, that's why Finland has won so many medals best vs best over the years, even though material isn't even close to NA countries.

Sure, Finland had couple excellent batches of players and and they won gold immediately. Why? Superior system combined with lot of talent like Rantanen, Aho and Laine. Finns have a good pool coming again with 2006-07 born players so coaching better be good.

I don't disagree with this, what I'm disagreeing with is the elevated expectations that coaching can always make up the difference between two different levels of talent. It can't and right now you don't have the Barkov, Lundell, Aho etc. that can exploit the breaches created by the system.

Sometimes US/Can just has too much talent, there is a cycle in Canada/US too. Against Bedard, it was a bit too hard on anyone else.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Do you have the finish roster for the game? i can’t find it
Maalilla:
31 Eemil Vinni

Varalla:
1 Niklas Kokko

1:
24 Aleksanteri Kaskimäki – 15 Jere Lassila – 12 Lenni Hämeenaho
9 Aron Kiviharju – 3 Otto Salin

2:
27 Jesse Kiiskinen – 14 Konsta Helenius – 22 Jani Nyman
2 Thomas Grönlund – 10 Joona Väisänen

3:
25 Jesse Nurmi – 13 Topi Rönni – 11 Kasper Halttunen
7 Emil Pieniniemi – 6 Kasper Kulonummi

4:
16 Max Koskipirtti – 17 Samu Bau – 23 Venni Tolppola
4 Topi Vuori – 5 Otto Heinonen

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Maalilla:
31 Eemil Vinni

Varalla:
1 Niklas Kokko

1:
24 Aleksanteri Kaskimäki – 15 Jere Lassila – 12 Lenni Hämeenaho
9 Aron Kiviharju – 3 Otto Salin

2:
27 Jesse Kiiskinen – 14 Konsta Helenius – 22 Jani Nyman
2 Thomas Grönlund – 10 Joona Väisänen

3:
25 Jesse Nurmi – 13 Topi Rönni – 11 Kasper Halttunen
7 Emil Pieniniemi – 6 Kasper Kulonummi

4:
16 Max Koskipirtti – 17 Samu Bau – 23 Venni Tolppola
4 Topi Vuori – 5 Otto Heinonen
Is this your best roster or who is missing i only saw kemell missing

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Kemell is the only notable missing.
Jea Kemell seems only notable from top of my head. Topias Leinonen not in either team too and I would liked to have seen Kumpulainen in first team aswell.

I quess somewhat surprising Aaron Hakala and Emil Järventie not in either team. Also Tommi Männistö would have been good roleplayer.

Matikka and Lambert are overagers for this team come WJC

Last edited:
Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Finland's defense and goaltending looked bad against Switzerland and Czechia.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Admittedly I am not as familiar with the Finnish prospect pool as in year's past.

How does this lineup compare to the group that was in Plymouth?

I imagine the eventual team this winter will be a composite of the two teams.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Roster prediction will come later in October or November.
Potential players as for now:

Goalies:
Leinonen
Vinni
Kokko
Vali
Vedenpää

Defenders:
Kiviharju
Salin
Kulonummi
Laakso
Kärki
Kangas
Pieniniemi
Muhonen
Minkkinen

Forwards:
Halttunen
Hämeenaho
Bau
Kemell
Hokkanen
Kaskimäki
Uronen
Lassila
Nyman
Noiva
Rönni
Lundell
Keskinen
Hakala
Helenius
Alasiurua
Nurmi

Hynninen
Kiiskinen
Kumpulainen
Männistö
Hemming
Suoniemi

Rautiainen

Overall a pretty bad prospect pool at u20 level and not top3 in my books, not even near. Reminds me a bit of players born 89-92 where Granlund and Donskoi etc were bigger talents than those who were three years older. Kemell should be huge at this level and Nyman good as well but after them it's pretty much two 06 born players in Kiviharju and Helenius. I consider them to have so much more potential than other "Big" talents like Hämeenaho and especially Halttunen. They have a lot to prove at this level.
Also I want to add that Kiviharju really looked out of place in last years exhibition games or pre-tournament games. He was to weak and slow for my liking back then.
Only chance this team will have if they play a good and compact team game with good goaltending and if some of these prospects have a breakout season etc.
Goaltending does actually have quite the depth, question is if anyone can be that Saros or Vasi in their junior years. We desperately need it.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Where will Halttunnen slot in? I’m assuming top 6 or top line?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Roster prediction will come later in October or November.
Potential players as for now:

Goalies:
Leinonen
Vinni
Kokko
Vali
Vedenpää

Defenders:
Kiviharju
Salin
Kulonummi
Laakso
Kärki
Kangas
Pieniniemi
Muhonen
Minkkinen

Forwards:
Halttunen
Hämeenaho
Bau
Kemell
Hokkanen
Kaskimäki
Uronen
Lassila
Nyman
Noiva
Rönni
Lundell
Keskinen
Hakala
Helenius
Alasiurua
Nurmi
Hynninen
Kiiskinen
Kumpulainen
Männistö
Hemming
Suoniemi

Overall a pretty bad prospect pool at u20 level and not top3 in my books, not even near. Reminds me a bit of players born 89-92 where Granlund and Donskoi etc were bigger talents than those who were three years older. Kemell should be huge at this level and Nyman good as well but after them it's pretty much two 06 born players in Kiviharju and Helenius. I consider them to have so much more potential than other "Big" talents like Hämeenaho and especially Halttunen. They have a lot to prove at this level.
Also I want to add that Kiviharju really looked out of place in last years exhibition games or pre-tournament games. He was to weak and slow for my liking back then.
Only chance this team will have if they play a good and compact team game with good goaltending and if some of these prospects have a breakout season etc.
Goaltending does actually have quite the depth, question is if anyone can be that Saros or Vasi in their junior years. We desperately need it.
What does the bold type mean?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
What does the bold type mean?
The only ones "Worth" mentioning if they develop as expected this season and perhaps a goaltender or two if we are lucky.
Kemell should be a star. Has shown that on this level already.
Nyman is a bit like Huuhtanen. I just like their game. The effort is often there.

Decent depth could be there if the others take some big steps this year but there will not be anything exceptional. Kiviharju isn't a sure bet either. He has some special talent and understanding for the game but in last years prelims he looked really out of place physically so I' ll wait before raising the bar too high. I want to see if he can handle the faster and more physical game against NA teams first.

Where will Halttunnen slot in? I’m assuming top 6 or top line?

I wouldn't assume anything before he actually starts to show something worth mentioning. Numbers for an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad