WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why not just plug Beauvillier, Barzal and Eberle in as the 2nd line and let ROR be the matchup center?
Well, there's a pretty good chance that better options than Beauvillier become available after the 1st round of playoffs. That is of course if said players are interested in coming.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Well, there's a pretty good chance that better options than Beauvillier become available after the 1st round of playoffs. That is of course if said players are interested in coming.

Well now we reach the interesting argument with building 'super teams' of Chemistry vs Talent.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well now we reach the interesting argument with building 'super teams' of Chemistry vs Talent.
I suppose, but if someone like Hall became available do you really think it would be smart to play Beauvillier over him on that line? If anything I think you could make the argument that playing with Eberle for 6 years could create some easy chemistry.

Reactions: A91 and Retroglyphs

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I suppose, but if someone like Hall became available do you really think it would be smart to play Beauvillier over him on that line? If anything I think you could make the argument that playing with Eberle for 6 years could create some easy chemistry.

Sure, but why not play Hall with ROR and now theres scoring lines with threats.

Just seems silly to even invite Beauvillier and then not play the Chia line as a whole.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would be shocked if McDavid and Barzal could play on a line together and not just mitigate the effectiveness of the other. When you have two playmakers with dominant skating, just separate them and give them good complements.

Regarding a player like Hall joining, with the year he's had he's proven that he can carry a line offensively like a centre. Give McDavid one line, Barzal one line and Hall another. The other line will get the defensive duties.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sure, but why not play Hall with ROR and now theres scoring lines with threats.

Just seems silly to even invite Beauvillier and then not play the Chia line as a whole.
Then where do you put Schwartz, on the 4th line? That's not a role he's going to fit well in.

As to why they invited him, its likely as insurance if better doesn't come along. I think its a very real possibility that he ends up an extra because the simple fact is there are likely going to be 12 better forwards than him if guys from the first round are willing to come.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hall doesnt work very well with Mcdavid because they both need to rush the puck to be effective. Better to have 2 great puck rushers on 2 seperate lines imo.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see RNH on Mcdavids wing

Yeah, RNH should be McDavids LWer those guys were absolutely on fire at the end of the year.

Nuge is a responsible, high IQ player that can skate well. He also knows how to play with McDavid. No brainer to have those two paired together.

Reactions: 99664987

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I would be shocked if McDavid and Barzal could play on a line together and not just mitigate the effectiveness of the other. When you have two playmakers with dominant skating, just separate them and give them good complements.

Regarding a player like Hall joining, with the year he's had he's proven that he can carry a line offensively like a centre. Give McDavid one line, Barzal one line and Hall another. The other line will get the defensive duties.

That's what I was thinking.... three players that skate well and excel with the puck on their stick. You probably want to separate them and let each drive their own line.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
maybe doughty, carter, muzzin , toffoli, getzlaf and perry can all get on the same flight

edit. Montour would be good too

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would be very skeptical about Getzlaf. First off that he would want to go, but that's beside the point. When he went in 2012 it was pretty much a debacle (off ice and in the games) and he was central to that debacle. If motivated he's obviously more than good enough to help the team but who knows if he would be. I also don't see a lot of value in taking him when his prospects for the future are low, though I guess he could be veteran leadership... if motivated.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I would be very skeptical about Getzlaf. First off that he would want to go, but that's beside the point. When he went in 2012 it was pretty much a debacle (off ice and in the games) and he was central to that debacle. If motivated he's obviously more than good enough to help the team but who knows if he would be. I also don't see a lot of value in taking him when his prospects for the future are low, though I guess he could be veteran leadership... if motivated.

Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and the alleged 3 a.m. Finnish nightclub incident

Was that the "in 3 minutes all yee are fallen" year?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Also, I've seen some comments about a McDavid/Barzal line.

Probably a bad idea seeing as Hockey only allows one puck.
I don't think they need the puck to be effective (McDavid certainly doesn't). You might argue that it's a waste of their talents in transition and zone entries to put them both on the same line, but it also opens up more options and makes that line harder to defend, in my opinion. The only concern I can see is that Barzal allegedly doesn't play so well on wing, and I'm not sure if McDavid has ever tried.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
lol Imagine the uproar from HF Oil if McDavid is shifted to wing for Barzal

If McDavid needed to shift to wing, he would do it and excel. and didn't he play LW at 2015 WJHC?

and since most Team Canadas are dominated by centers playing the wing, it would behoove Barzal to prove he has that in his repertoire. otherwise, if all you do is play center and not an accomplished 2-way center, good luck at ever making a real Team Canada playing a real best v best tournament. (if we ever see such a thing again).

Reactions: Hagstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad