WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like some drunken Finnish fans got on his case in a nightclub, the team was already eliminated, don't see the big deal. Easy to see why they would want to be chatting up the former Miss Finland too, can you blame them?

Canada wasn't eliminated at the time. Translation error or not, it is a great line though.

While I forgot the Miss Finland aspect, I bet that Mrs. Getzlaf (both then and now) has not.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
any news from Drew Doughty? just wondering if the McDavid-Doughty bromance would be enough to override Drew's disdain for this tournament and seize the day...

probably not. Drew's contempt for this tournament is pretty deep.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hamilton refused in 2016 (might have cited some weak injury) and I don't recall anything about 2017. Huberdeau was injured in 2017. Each would be an asset to this team.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
They took Pageau and Beauvillier over Huberdeau. Don't know why they haven't asked Huberdeau, guy seems interested in playing this year and every year he just racks up more goals and points.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
They took Pageau and Beauvillier over Huberdeau. Don't know why they haven't asked Huberdeau, guy seems interested in playing this year and every year he just racks up more goals and points.
Hockey Canada very often does strange picks

Reactions: cg98

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

ya, I can't quite figure that out as well. hell, I would have called him before RNH and put him on McDavid's LW. but, they gave that spot to RNH for the sake of instant chemistry. There's still one LW spot open, so maybe they are waiting to see if Hall wants to accept an invite.

Reactions: cg98

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Hockey Canada needs built-in excuses if they lose. That's why they consistently fail to send the best team possible, or engage in petty and vindictive vendettas against individual players. Any organization that employs Scott Salmond above the level of janitor clearly has issues. That being said, I think we're finally moving in the right direction after years of wanton cronyism, sloth, avarice and neglect thanks to the Nicholson Error. Tom Renney isn't perfect, but Tom cares about more than just feathering his own nest or setting up a neat little sinecure with an NHL team (and boy, aren't Oiler fans learning all they need to know about ineffectual Bob now that he's talked and conned his way into a senior post with Katz's hockey team?). Renney's a pretty passionate hockey man, and I would love to see him unfettered from the likes of Smith and Salmond. Bob Nicholson turned HC into a hiring agency for golfing buddies from his own province, as well as a launching pad for a nice, cushy executive job with an NHL franchise; he never cared nearly as much about the future of hockey in Canada as he did about Bob Nicholson and a plush, feathery nest once people got wise to his act at HC.

It's primarily because of Nicholson, and those closest to him, that we endured so many needless defeats earlier in this decade (especially at the junior level) that emboldened our rivals and sapped the self-belief of our young players. If you're not in it to win it, and if you're only at HC to gratify your own ego, then please step aside for people who do care about the future of the game in this country. Nicholson's cynical avarice (gouging Canadian hockey fans for all they were worth while cutting corners in player development, recruitment and hiring practices) was appalling. I don't think he was the only one, though.

I am still hoping that Tom can find the next 30-something Ralph Krueger and make him head of the Men's High Performance Program. Salmond's been with HC for 17 years and hasn't had a bright idea yet; you have to figure that, after nearly a generation of showing nothing, he probably doesn't have any.

Last edited:

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
ya, I can't quite figure that out as well. hell, I would have called him before RNH and put him on McDavid's LW. but, they gave that spot to RNH for the sake of instant chemistry. There's still one LW spot open, so maybe they are waiting to see if Hall wants to accept an invite.

Would be great if Hall accepted. I'm not a huge fan, but he's a dominant, world-class player when he's engaged and has his thinking cap on. In fact, I suspect that Hall and Nathan MacKinnon will be two go-to guys at the next best-on-best event (which the loathsome NHL might delay until convinced that Murica is the team to beat, and not Canada). Thank Goodness that Barzal looks like he might be a superstar, and thank goodness that Lafreniere looks like he could become one, too. We need a few more young guys to take a massive step up if we want to hear our national anthem and not someone else's.

Sid and the 1985s made a lot of mediocrities at HC look smarter than they actually were at 2 Olympic Games. Those guys are on the other side of the mountain now, and it's time for a new generation to step up to the plate and give McGOAT some running mates.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm glad Nurse is heading over. He was one of the few bright spots for us this year, his game really took major strides.

With his sound defensive play and elite skating, he should be a good fit on the big ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->