Team Canada at the Rio Olympics

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Wooooo, bronze medal - just tied our record for medals from 1996. A medal from Bishop tonight (which will admittedly be tough) would give us a new record. Incredible ride from Pendrel!

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
If Catharine hadn't been unlucky and gotten caught up in that stupid crash, her and Batty could have stayed in touch with the lead group and both gotten on the podium IMO.

Regardless, that was amazing watching her make up the ground she did from the 3rd lap on. Really happy for her, she deserves it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Should have crossed the line together and gotten TWO medals out of it.

Or is that making a mockery of the Olympic spirit? :sarcasm:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If Catharine hadn't been unlucky and gotten caught up in that stupid crash, her and Batty could have stayed in touch with the lead group and both gotten on the podium IMO.

Regardless, that was amazing watching her make up the ground she did from the 3rd lap on. Really happy for her, she deserves it.

right? it's sort of like the Equestrian Jumpoff. WHyyyyyyyy
but then you really can't get too mad because she kicked butt afterwards.

and the best thing about this is. now Catherine has her medal. this gives her AMAZING "I can do this!" for Tokyo (as this sport is not age dependant).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
How do you time it down to the thousandth of a second though? :sarcasm:

I wonder if they purposely did that, if it'd be grounds for disqualification.

i think the easiest thing is - at that moment - you're not friends, and you're not "country-mates" Catherine kept looking back and kept going harder, and Emily was like charging behind Catherine. I think the "OMG YAY WE DID IT" happens next.

plus yah. to make sure they got it to a dead heat..... lol

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
right? it's sort of like the Equestrian Jumpoff. WHyyyyyyyy
but then you really can't get too mad because she kicked butt afterwards.

and the best thing about this is. now Catherine has her medal. this gives her AMAZING "I can do this!" for Tokyo (as this sport is not age dependant).

Haha, she'd be 39, but based on what she showed today, I wouldn't count her out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How do you time it down to the thousandth of a second though? :sarcasm:

I wonder if they purposely did that, if it'd be grounds for disqualification.

Batty had a minute on 5th. Surely they could have just aligned their bikes and crossed the line together? :sarcasm:

DQ on what basis? Collusion? :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I love all these medals we've gotten, I really do, we've exceeded expectations and a bronze is better than nothing obviously....

But damn, more than 2 thirds of the medals we've gotten have been bronze. I wish we had gotten a couple more silver so it was so lopsided of a number there at the end, 4,3,15

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I love all these medals we've gotten, I really do, we've exceeded expectations and a bronze is better than nothing obviously....

But damn more than 2 thirds of the medals we've gotten have been bronze. I wish we had gotten a couple more silver so it was so lopsided of a number there at the end, 4,3,15

There's a reason why Bronze is considered "Canadian Gold" it's what we do" ;) maybe you should change your name to Canada4Bronze :wg:

That will def. be something to track in Tokyo. how many of those bronze medals are able to be converted to silvers and golds, and the 4th through 5th (sometimes 6th depending on the sport), can translate to Bronze.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

But damn more than 2 thirds of the medals we've gotten have been bronze. I wish we had gotten a couple more silver so it was so lopsided of a number there at the end, 4,3,15

You're not going to want to see how many Top 8 finishes we've had that have NOT been medals. :laugh:

hint: it's a lot.

Canadians qualified for a staggering amount of finals this time, moreso than any other recent summer Olympics that I can remember. I think we've placed a finalist in a majority of the athletics events, which is unheard of in recent Canadian Olympic history.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So if I'm the COC and debriefing Canadian athletes after these games, I tell everyone to talk to Derek Drouin. Guy was a boss - total focus and dominated the field.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You're not going to want to see how many Top 8 finishes we've had that have NOT been medals. :laugh:

hint: it's a lot.

Canadians qualified for a staggering amount of finals this time, moreso than any other recent summer Olympics that I can remember. I think we've placed a finalist in a majority of the athletics events, which is unheard of in recent Canadian Olympic history.

that's a good thing. it means that the Face-Time sponsorships, Road to Excellence, and OTP for the most part are doing its part to help with development (I just heard that Catherine turn DOWN her OTP funding and said it needed to go towards developing younger bikers instead. she's now like my hero).

what i'd be looking into is this

1: how many of those top eight finishes - were "disappointments" (ie - they were expected to medal) vs.
2: how many of those top eight finishes were "successes" ie: first Olympics, weren't expected, so on and so forth.

like. in Wrestling, I think we qualified 6 women in all the weight classes, and all of them but 1? got to the quarterfinals, and 1 won a gold, and 1 got cheated :laugh: for a bronze. that's a success, in my books.

Diving had 2 medals, and 3 top 8 finishes.
Ware was expected (first Olympics) but Fillion/Benefito were never going to get two of the podium. but Abel's miss and the syncro team miss - is a disappointment.

Rowing/Canoe/Kayak..........
major. major. major flop. (as we've ranted all Olympics).

Swimming:
all of it happy surprises (except for Cochrane which was a bummer because it was his last games).

Track + Field
for the most part, i'd have to say success (Barber. not so much).

and so on and so forth.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So if I'm the COC and debriefing Canadian athletes after these games, I tell everyone to talk to Derek Drouin. Guy was a boss - total focus and dominated the field.

and he'd say
"well it helps when people ignore you :laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
and he'd say
"well it helps when people ignore you :laugh:

He's not going to be ignored anymore. Dude got all the ladies' attention after winning the gold. Did you SEE the selfie requests he was getting around the stadium that night? :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I look at it like this. There have been a few finishes just 1 spot off the podium sure, but IIRC there hasn't been more than 15(the number of Bronze we got), so just proportionally wise I can't really say we've been unlucky. You can't expect to not finish 4th at all, and 4,3,15, with 2 or 3 4ths isn't realistic either.

Some of those 4ths could be Bronze sure, but more of those bronze we got could be 4th, so IMO we ended up on the good side of the ledger.

List of just misses I can remember, which means 4th, or 5th in the case of judo/wrestling multiple bronze

Diving Synchro 3m
Diving Individual 3m
Swimming men 100m free
50km walk
Womens mountain bike(but Canadian was 3rd too)
Equestrian team jumping
Judo mens 66kg
Tennis mens doubles
Wrestling womens 69kg

So that's 9 4ths. While we had 15 Bronze

Therw were other misses by not much, and people who we thought would medal(Barber) who were way off. But I think we still did really well on the close ones, 15 bronze, 9 4th is a good ratio to have

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
that's a good thing. it means that the Face-Time sponsorships, Road to Excellence, and OTP for the most part are doing its part to help with development (I just heard that Catherine turn DOWN her OTP funding and said it needed to go towards developing younger bikers instead. she's now like my hero).

what i'd be looking into is this

1: how many of those top eight finishes - were "disappointments" (ie - they were expected to medal) vs.
2: how many of those top eight finishes were "successes" ie: first Olympics, weren't expected, so on and so forth.

like. in Wrestling, I think we qualified 6 women in all the weight classes, and all of them but 1? got to the quarterfinals, and 1 won a gold, and 1 got cheated :laugh: for a bronze. that's a success, in my books.

Diving had 2 medals, and 3 top 8 finishes.
Ware was expected (first Olympics) but Fillion/Benefito were never going to get two of the podium. but Abel's miss and the syncro team miss - is a disappointment.

Rowing/Canoe/Kayak..........
major. major. major flop. (as we've ranted all Olympics).

Swimming:
all of it happy surprises (except for Cochrane which was a bummer because it was his last games).

Track + Field
for the most part, i'd have to say success (Barber. not so much).

and so on and so forth.

Oh for sure, I didn't mean it in a completely negative way. But it does perpetuate that Canadian stereotype (maybe it's reality ;)) that we are nice people who finish 4th. Good try mate, close, but no cigar. Great sportsmanship and class, no killer instinct. All that jazz.

Track and Field isn't over yet, btw... Besides Bishop, like I said earlier do not count out the women's relay team. I know they're a huge underdog but their SB is right in line with that bronze medal position...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
She didn't even make the Pan Am Games team last year

How good she was a year ago matters now how?

You think she just fluked her way to #2 in the world? The prediction site I was using had her getting a Bronze, clearly she was a contender for a medal, it just happened to be gold because of an excellent performance.

and a quick google tells me she didn't make the pan am team because she lost the Canadian championships, doesn't sound all that unlikely that a good wrestler doesn't make the team if all it takes is 1 upset if the national championship.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Golf is over, Brook finished 7th.
everyone was thinking she'd win gold.

so does she get the barber treatment or is that just "well that sucks."?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Golf is over, Brook finished 7th.
everyone was thinking she'd win gold.

so does she get the barber treatment or is that just "well that sucks."?

no not even close

and no everyone didn't think she'd win. Golf is a very volatile sport, she's ranked 2nd in the world and had just 4 top 3 finishes in 21 starts on tour. Literally anyone can win, and even the top players maybe has only 30% chance at a podium finish. So very different from much of the other sports

She competed really well, and the tough finish yesterday afternoon did her in, she couldn't catch back up.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
no not even close

and no everyone didn't think she'd win. Golf is a very volatile sport, she's ranked 2nd in the world and had just 4 top 3 finishes in 21 starts on tour. Literally anyone can win, and even the top players maybe has only 30% chance at a podium finish. So very different from much of the other sports

She competed really well, and the tough finish yesterday afternoon did her in, she couldn't catch back up.

Works for me. hence the ask.
I know that some places had. ;) so i guess some people. not everyone.

bummer about her yesterday though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shame the basketball team played a stinker against France (Kia Nurse! :() because they probably could have gotten bronze this year. They could (and would have imo) beat Serbia.

Also if the all time medals mark isn't broken because of Dunfee's 4th in the 50km race walk I'll be really heartbroken. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad