Team Canada at the Rio Olympics

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Problem is wrestling is the #1 Olympic sport for Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria (while banned from weightlifting), Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Russia, Turkey, Venezuela. And the #2 sport for some others (Cuba, Uzbekistan).

Not saying it should be our #1 sport, just that we should be at a level of being represented in every weight class. If we're able to snag a medal or two from both the men and women, then great.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
First time I've seen it, as always, well done by the CBC. Their montages are always exceptional.

Wish they would have set it to a better song though. The Tragically Hip's material has never struck any sort of chord with me.

I feel like the timing of it is being missed by you.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
First time I've seen it, as always, well done by the CBC. Their montages are always exceptional.

Wish they would have set it to a better song though. The Tragically Hip's material has never struck any sort of chord with me.

Well given The Hip played their final show ever the night before, and ended it with that song, I'm assuming that's why they went with it.

I don't think using a City and Colour song for one of their Cup montages made all that much sense, but it was still exceptional as you said.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well given The Hip played their final show ever the night before, and ended it with that song, I'm assuming that's why they went with it.

I don't think using a City and Colour song for one of their Cup montages made all that much sense, but it was still exceptional as you said.

Ah, in that context, makes a whole lot of sense why the CBC used their material. Didn't have the slightest idea that they'd done a farewell gig, or that one of their members had terminal cancer, after you mentioning/googling things now.

I feel like the timing of it is being missed by you.

Yeah, I'm in the States and hadn't heard/wasn't aware of the circumstances.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Ah, in that context, makes a whole lot of sense why the CBC used their material. Didn't have the slightest idea that they'd done a farewell gig, or that one of their members had terminal cancer, after you mentioning/googling things now.

Yeah, I'm in the States and hadn't heard/wasn't aware of the circumstances.

I thought you lived in Canada. No wonder you'd never heard of what was going on.

Oct 18, 2006
Seriously excited to see the development of De Grasse. Will be exciting seeing a new champion arrive in Tokyo, as well as the 2017 and 2019 World Champs, although Bolt is expected to run in London next year. I love Bolt as much as the next guy, but it'll be refreshing seeing new blood take over, led by De Grasse. His 100m in the men's relay was unbelievable.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Seriously excited to see the development of De Grasse. Will be exciting seeing a new champion arrive in Tokyo, as well as the 2017 and 2019 World Champs, although Bolt is expected to run in London next year. I love Bolt as much as the next guy, but it'll be refreshing seeing new blood take over, led by De Grasse. His 100m in the men's relay was unbelievable.

An absolute dream (and somewhat plausible) scenario is this:

Bolt comes to the worlds next year and wins still. But De Grasse is close, in 2nd.

Bolt retires.

De Grasse wins gold in both 100m and 200m at the next worlds. Goes into the 2020 Olympics as favorite. Only Bolt unretires. He wants to come back to reclaim his throne.

So heading into 2020 Olympics, you have:

De Grasse - 2x World champion, fastest man on earth, heavy favorite going into the Olympics

vs

Usain Bolt. the REAL fastest man on earth. But a bit older (and slower?).

That would be awesome to watch.

And I personally expect that there's a good chance Bolt comes back for 2020. If he feels that physically he can still go fast enough and that he can win i see him coming back. Would be an epic showdown for sure.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's time to recognize Aurelie Rivard's success in the Paralympics. Absolutely dominant performances this year obliterating two world records. Rivard and Oleksiak have been awesome for Canadian swimming this year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Shawn Barber was stripped of his Canadian National Championship for testing positive for Cocaine. they allowed him to participate during the Olympics, but i wonder if this wasn't weighing on his mind. apparently before the nationals, he hooked up with a girl on craigslist, who was high and it transferred that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad