Team Canada at the Rio Olympics

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I need to wrap my head around Canada's performance in athletics this year. It's been phenomenal. Yes the medal count is still mediocre (but much better than in recent years past), but the amount of personal and national bests being set and finals being made is astonishing. I mean, 4th in the 5000, 4th in the women's 800? Top 10 in the marathon? 4th in the race walk? A Canadian in the finals of the steeplechase? The 1500? Canadians close in modern pentathlon? Canadian women making it to the finals of the high jump and pole vault? What should be a contender in men's pole vault? These are things almost unheard of in this generation of Canadian Olympians, and I didn't even mention de Grasse and Drouin. Best of all, most of these finalists aren't content with just a Top 10 finish. Bishop's interview, Mo Ahmed's interview, some of the 1500's - they hated losing a medal. They want to win. That's the attitude we need to nourish.

OTP needs to make a hard decision - rowing/canoe/kayak have traditionally been very strong but they're clearly going through a transition period there while athletics has a LOT of talent bubbling under. Should they be able to convert some of these Top 10 (and in many cases, Top 5) finishes into medals, athletics could be very strong.

I mean just look at Sage Watson. She has massive potential IMO. You give her the resources and push her and she could win you multiple medals in various hurdle and relay events.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Pretty pleased with Team GB's performance :D

No doubt. They bettered their performance on home soil which is practically unprecedented in Olympic history. If you look at these olympics purely from a country vs country basis then GB is THE STORY of the games (esp. after Brexit et al.)

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The biggest question for me is which country will the children of BTE and Ashton Eaton compete for????????

Will they have two, and separate them at birth and send one to Canada, one to the USA, completely unbeknownst to each other?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cloned, OTP already pumps a lot of money in athletics. in my opinion - I don't think rowing/canoe/kayak, will lose tonnes of funding, and considering the historical aspects of those sports for this country, it's like saying....

the united states does poorly in the pool, so we're cutting things out. that isn't likely to happen. i think what willl happen is how it's being operated.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The biggest question for me is which country will the children of BTE and Ashton Eaton compete for????????

Will they have two, and separate them at birth and send one to Canada, one to the USA, completely unbeknownst to each other?

LOL. Well they still live and train in Eugene, Oregon, but one per country sounds like a fair deal :laugh:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
"Penny, what have you been up to since you'd won your medals last week?"

"Well, I went home for a few days, visited Wonderland and got a kitten named Rio"

Ryan Lochte she is not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

My guess is he/she will attempt to compete for Canada, will get cut, and then compete for the U.S. and go on to greatness. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, nice couple. ESPN.com has a good interview with them today.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
No doubt. They bettered their performance on home soil which is practically unprecedented in Olympic history. If you look at these olympics purely from a country vs country basis then GB is THE STORY of the games (esp. after Brexit et al.)

First nation to better in the Olympics after hosting too. :yo:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I would like to see the most money go to athletics, swimming, rowing, and canoe kayak. Not as sure with a second tier of funding but I would say it should include diving and maybe wrestling.

Wrestling has been well funded. I actually think, Canada's won a medal in it in every games since ... wow. 1992. yes. okay. since 1992, Canada has won at least 1 medal in the sport. (and actually since 2000, has won a Gold every other games, 2000, 2008, 2012.)

Wrestling can be huge for Canada. We have a great CIS program, along with Simon Fraser competing in NCAA Div 2 to foster our talent and then develop it from there. There should be no reason why we can't have our men represented in every division. I believe this year we only sent two males. That has to improve.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
11.5 million people tuned into the games in some capacity online, radio, or on television.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Very proud of Canada at these Olympics. Captured our hearts (Penny), didn't make headlines for anything stupid (like Lochte, Solo), showed us there's much to look to in the future (De Grasse, Penny and more).

It always sucks when they first end and it's like "well now what do I follow..."

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And now comes the agonizingly long wait for an agonizingly short competition in 2018. :(

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Wrestling can be huge for Canada.

Problem is wrestling is the #1 Olympic sport for Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria (while banned from weightlifting), Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Russia, Turkey, Venezuela. And the #2 sport for some others (Cuba, Uzbekistan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad