Team Canada at the Rio Olympics

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wouldn't put it on him.

If anything, there's still a chance the US appeal of their 4x100m DQ gets approved, and that will bump Canada from another medal.

Pretty sure that one would sting a bit more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wouldn't put it on him.

If anything, there's still a chance the US appeal of their 4x100m DQ gets approved, and that will bump Canada from another medal.

Pretty sure that one would sting a bit more.

I thought it was already denied?

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Shame the basketball team played a stinker against France (Kia Nurse! :() because they probably could have gotten bronze this year. They could (and would have imo) beat Serbia.

France was ranked 4th in the world going into the tounament and are bounds ahead of Canada at this point. Serbia won Eurobasket last year and is the fastest rising team in the sport.

Spain is ranked 3rd and now can claim runners up at both the World Championships and the Olympics.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think, Canada's Olympics are done.
Unless our two male mountain bikers can squeak onto the podium or if we have anyone in the wrestling matches, i think it's over.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I look at it like this. There have been a few finishes just 1 spot off the podium sure, but IIRC there hasn't been more than 15(the number of Bronze we got), so just proportionally wise I can't really say we've been unlucky. You can't expect to not finish 4th at all, and 4,3,15, with 2 or 3 4ths isn't realistic either.

Some of those 4ths could be Bronze sure, but more of those bronze we got could be 4th, so IMO we ended up on the good side of the ledger.

List of just misses I can remember, which means 4th, or 5th in the case of judo/wrestling multiple bronze

Diving Synchro 3m
Diving Individual 3m
Swimming men 100m free
50km walk
Womens mountain bike(but Canadian was 3rd too)
Equestrian team jumping
Judo mens 66kg
Tennis mens doubles
Wrestling womens 69kg

So that's 9 4ths. While we had 15 Bronze

Therw were other misses by not much, and people who we thought would medal(Barber) who were way off. But I think we still did really well on the close ones, 15 bronze, 9 4th is a good ratio to have

OK so toss 3 more 4th's in there and it's a little more even, 4 gold, 3 silver, 15 bronze, 12 just misses

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Okay. Wall Of Text Incoming, but full of "the More you knows"
This is going w/the assumption Canada wins no more medals, BUT nothing really changes. This is to be noted that I tried to get conversion rates but it as hard to google some of that up as I couldn't get the right parameters in the chain. so some of this is off the top of my head and after seventeen days, you'll excuse a mistake or two.

The 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro in the 32nd Olympiad.

Canada:
out of 314 Athletes in 27 Sports finished the games with:

4 Gold 3 Silver 15 Bronze
Total: Twenty Two Olympic Medals.
best result since Atlanta 1996, in a fully attended Olympics.
second winningest amount since Barcelona 1992 (with 4 gold)

Own the Podium/COC's Expectations:
19 medals (of any colour), top 12 in medal rankings
Overall: Success.

Medals per Capital:
26th
Overall: hell if I know, but if we're 26th per capita, then that's pretty good out of all the nations who went.

Conversion Rates:

Pretty even medal wise -
15 bronze medals to 12 4th place finishes.
a lot of top eight-top ten finishes (more than I can recall audibly in other Olympics)

(the women/men numbers haven't been released yet - but obviously more female medals were won than male by a lot)

# of repeat medalists in 1 Olympiad
4: Rosie MacLelllan (repeat gold medalist, trampoline), Benefito+ Fillion (10 metre syncro diving, bronze), Team Canada, Soccer (bronze), Cycling, Women's Team Pursuit (bronze)

# of repeat medalists in 2 Olympiads.
1: Eric Lamaze (bronze, individual jumping)

I can't find the exact number of World #1-3 (in either world cup, champions, etc that we sent comparative to how they medaled. i need to work on that for next time. off the top of my head - but i want to say... 3? (mostly in Track).

---------------------

Proud to Be Canadian Moments:

there are always so many during the games, but the one that really tugged at my heart was Evan Dunfee explaining why he chose not to push the petition to potentially earn himself a medal. And then saying he wants to go to Tokyo because his grandmother is trying to stay alive to see him race and win an olympic medal. Tears.

Catherine Pendrel overcoming a massive crash to win a bronze medal, and then finding out that she gave all her Road to Excellence money and will give her bronze medal winning money to those developing in cycling because they need it more than her. Tears.

(and obviously every time we just did well, medal or not medal)

------------------------

Historical Notes:

* First Olympics when the women athletes grossed more medals than the male athletes (by a large margin). This was intentionally done by Own the Podium/Road to Excellence, by targeting higher medal potentials in sports and finding that it would be easier with the events Canada send women to.

* Penny Oleksiak is Canada's youngest medal winner at the age of 16 (and was the 2nd..? 1st? ) person born in the year 2000 to win gold. (She was the 1st athlete born in the year 2000 to win a medal at the Olympics). She also broke the 4 medal record (most in Canadian history. De Grasse equaled a 3 medal feat mostly held by swimmers.)

*Canada continues it's medalling streak of earning a medal in debut sports with Rugby Sevens. (and is the 2nd consecutive Olympics where an official team sport has medaled since the 30s. Soccer was the first in 2012). This was also the first time in a Fully Attended Olympics that Canada qualified 5 team sports. (finishing with 2 bronze, 2 quarterfinals and 1 not leaving group play...how do we suck at field hockey? it's still hockey!)

*Soccer Canada repeated as bronze medalists (rare feat) as well as they now own the record for fastest goal scored in women's soccer in the Olympics. (vs. Germany. woo). Rosie MacLellan enters a rare field of Canadians who repeated as gold medalists and the first summer athlete to do so.

*Canada winning 6 medals in the pool. First time in a FAO, and the first time the women have done all the medal winning - especially since it was a while since Canadian women have won in the pool (1996!).

*Elsabeth (Ellie) Black becomes the first gymnast to finish in the top five for Women's gymnastic (including 1984). massive achievement.

*Canada broke a record of earning a medal a day (#medal a day) by earning a minimum of 1 medal the first 9 days of competition.

Major Successes:
*Swimming - I think the only people who weren't surprised about Canada's success in the pool were the swimmers themselves. Even the High Performance CEO was taken aback about how well Penny and the gang did in the pool, citing that they were using this as an experience for all their sprinters, and Tokyo (baring injury etc), was to be their breakout. Known that the USA grosses 30 medals in the pool should this continue (and it should), Canada could be poised to be the second power in the pool, overtaking Australia, Japan, and Hungary.. 10-15 should be the benchmark for the swimmers in Tokyo.

*Track + Field (athletics) This was the first time in a long time (96) that Canada was able to send in a deep track and field/athletics team, and they all did relatively well. While the colours might not be right for Brianne Thesian Eaton and Warner, they were able to win their bronzes with some clutch performances, and Drouin dominated in high jump. De Grasse and male sprinting set some impressive records, breaking a lot of PB's and long-standing national records set by Bailey and the 96 squad.

Where I think we can see some issues is lack of female sprinters, middle distance running and other field events. The only person expected to medal and not - was Barber

*Wrestling - 1 wrestler in each class,1 narrowly missed out on bronze, and 1 won gold. pretty darned good.

*Team sports. Two medals out of five - I'd call that a good thing considering Olympics we only had 1 team sport period. Hopefully basketball can sort itself out as well as Men's rugby sevens.

Major Misses
Rowing. Canoe. Kayak. Like what the actual bleepity bleep was that?
Seven boats. 3 A Finals, 1 medal. (and that medal came from the boat that told RCA to kick rocks) (and the other two were so flipping slow). the B finals weren't much better either.

Canoe: 3 boats. 3 Dismal finishes
Kayak: 7 boats - 7 Dismal finishes.

It was the worst regatta I've seen in my olympic life. (spanning 7 Olympics now). No to mention there's RCA's STUPID decision to split the men's eight boat. ironically i wonder had the 8's won a medal, would people be this mad i truly don't know.

Rowing Canada and Canoe/Kayak Canada are two different entities, so I don't know if they get any of RCA's 17 MILLION DOLLARS but I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot. and they sucked the major biscuit. RCA is already talking about changes and getting a new HP-CEO, but he basically stated the obvious. overall of a programme this big isn't going to be easy to overturn and fix over night. Or... really what he's saying is a quadrennial. Meaning. Tokyo could be just as bad. RCA already acknowledged that they'll more than likely lose some funding [but my guess being Canada's big medal draw + historically doing well, it won't be a major loss, but still. talk about a Shame, Shame Shame.

*Shawn Barber. I'll give the kid a lot of credit now, but I was not expecting a Catherine Pendrel moment from him. He wasn't good in qualifying, and he wasn't good in the final. Didn't look comfortable what so ever. my hope is, he comes back in 2020 and kicks some major butt.

Overall Impressions

I am always proud of Canada (even when they pull an Athens - 12 medals, Oi), or they do an Atlanta. The fact that Canada did their best Olympics ever in a FAO, without the help of Rowing Canada, is mindblowing, (which tells you in perspective - how amazing these games for Canada could have been). not everyone always converts though so perspectively we're on target. The fact that a large amount of our medals came from Athletes under the age of 27, and out of that number - 1/2 of them were first time Olympians - bodes well for Tokyo 2020. We shouldn't see a massive drop off (22 to 14 to 12 - Atlanta, Sydney, Athens), but we should start to see the medals actually increase - especially if OTP keeps targeting sports that we can do better in [few other sports I'd like to see for other medal opportunities would be archery, shooting, etc].

Some might argue that part of this success was due to Russia not competing, but I really don't think so. looking at the medals won - I don't know where you could add Russia and go "yeah, that's a medal Canada doesn't win].

It wouldn't surprise me that if not by Tokyo, by [Insert Country Here, More likely Rome] 2024, Canada's target will be 44 medals [Canada's best ever result at the Olympics, but were boycotted]. My summer Olympics goal for 2020 is going to be 25 medals. And I'd actually like to see us challenge for 7-8 gold medals, and more silver than bronze.

Next stop. Pyeongchang, South Korea which will take place 535 Days from now.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Really well-written, informative post. Thank you for all your work (and Ser Woof too!) during these Olympics, Daisy. I have really enjoyed reading your opinions. I'm incredibly sad that they are now over, but it's been brilliant posting with my fellow Canadians throughout all the successes, failures, near-misses, and the just plain bizarre (green diving pool, the race-walking debacle, Ryan Lochte fugitive anyone?) moments that defined Rio 2016.

Tokyo 2020 is going to be phenomenal. The Japanese always organize a great Olympic Games for the world. Hopefully our young athletes with unexpectedly positive results this time around use these games as a stepping stone to greater things (medals!) four years from now, and hopefully the talented disappointments (such as Barber) find the opportunity for redemption. I'm already looking forward to it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Okay. Wall Of Text Incoming, but full of "the More you knows"
This is going w/the assumption Canada wins no more medals, BUT nothing really changes. This is to be noted that I tried to get conversion rates but it as hard to google some of that up as I couldn't get the right parameters in the chain. so some of this is off the top of my head and after seventeen days, you'll excuse a mistake or two.

The 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro in the 32nd Olympiad.

Canada:
out of 314 Athletes in 27 Sports finished the games with:

4 Gold 3 Silver 15 Bronze
Total: Twenty Two Olympic Medals.
best result since Atlanta 1996, in a fully attended Olympics.
second winningest amount since Barcelona 1992 (with 4 gold)

Own the Podium/COC's Expectations:
19 medals (of any colour), top 12 in medal rankings
Overall: Success.

Medals per Capital:
26th
Overall: hell if I know, but if we're 26th per capita, then that's pretty good out of all the nations who went.

Conversion Rates:

Pretty even medal wise -
15 bronze medals to 12 4th place finishes.
a lot of top eight-top ten finishes (more than I can recall audibly in other Olympics)

(the women/men numbers haven't been released yet - but obviously more female medals were won than male by a lot)

# of repeat medalists in 1 Olympiad
4: Rosie MacLelllan (repeat gold medalist, trampoline), Benefito+ Fillion (10 metre syncro diving, bronze), Team Canada, Soccer (bronze), Cycling, Women's Team Pursuit (bronze)

# of repeat medalists in 2 Olympiads.
1: Eric Lamaze (bronze, individual jumping)

I can't find the exact number of World #1-3 (in either world cup, champions, etc that we sent comparative to how they medaled. i need to work on that for next time. off the top of my head - but i want to say... 3? (mostly in Track).

---------------------

Proud to Be Canadian Moments:

there are always so many during the games, but the one that really tugged at my heart was Evan Dunfee explaining why he chose not to push the petition to potentially earn himself a medal. And then saying he wants to go to Tokyo because his grandmother is trying to stay alive to see him race and win an olympic medal. Tears.

Catherine Pendrel overcoming a massive crash to win a bronze medal, and then finding out that she gave all her Road to Excellence money and will give her bronze medal winning money to those developing in cycling because they need it more than her. Tears.

(and obviously every time we just did well, medal or not medal)

------------------------

Historical Notes:

* First Olympics when the women athletes grossed more medals than the male athletes (by a large margin). This was intentionally done by Own the Podium/Road to Excellence, by targeting higher medal potentials in sports and finding that it would be easier with the events Canada send women to.

* Penny Oleksiak is Canada's youngest medal winner at the age of 16 (and was the 2nd..? 1st? ) person born in the year 2000 to win gold. (She was the 1st athlete born in the year 2000 to win a medal at the Olympics). She also broke the 4 medal record (most in Canadian history. De Grasse equaled a 3 medal feat mostly held by swimmers.)

*Canada continues it's medalling streak of earning a medal in debut sports with Rugby Sevens. (and is the 2nd consecutive Olympics where an official team sport has medaled since the 30s. Soccer was the first in 2012). This was also the first time in a Fully Attended Olympics that Canada qualified 5 team sports. (finishing with 2 bronze, 2 quarterfinals and 1 not leaving group play...how do we suck at field hockey? it's still hockey!)

*Soccer Canada repeated as bronze medalists (rare feat) as well as they now own the record for fastest goal scored in women's soccer in the Olympics. (vs. Germany. woo). Rosie MacLellan enters a rare field of Canadians who repeated as gold medalists and the first summer athlete to do so.

*Canada winning 6 medals in the pool. First time in a FAO, and the first time the women have done all the medal winning - especially since it was a while since Canadian women have won in the pool (1996!).

*Elsabeth (Ellie) Black becomes the first gymnast to finish in the top five for Women's gymnastic (including 1984). massive achievement.

*Canada broke a record of earning a medal a day (#medal a day) by earning a minimum of 1 medal the first 9 days of competition.

Major Successes:
*Swimming - I think the only people who weren't surprised about Canada's success in the pool were the swimmers themselves. Even the High Performance CEO was taken aback about how well Penny and the gang did in the pool, citing that they were using this as an experience for all their sprinters, and Tokyo (baring injury etc), was to be their breakout. Known that the USA grosses 30 medals in the pool should this continue (and it should), Canada could be poised to be the second power in the pool, overtaking Australia, Japan, and Hungary.. 10-15 should be the benchmark for the swimmers in Tokyo.

*Track + Field (athletics) This was the first time in a long time (96) that Canada was able to send in a deep track and field/athletics team, and they all did relatively well. While the colours might not be right for Brianne Thesian Eaton and Warner, they were able to win their bronzes with some clutch performances, and Drouin dominated in high jump. De Grasse and male sprinting set some impressive records, breaking a lot of PB's and long-standing national records set by Bailey and the 96 squad.

Where I think we can see some issues is lack of female sprinters, middle distance running and other field events. The only person expected to medal and not - was Barber

*Wrestling - 1 wrestler in each class,1 narrowly missed out on bronze, and 1 won gold. pretty darned good.

*Team sports. Two medals out of five - I'd call that a good thing considering Olympics we only had 1 team sport period. Hopefully basketball can sort itself out as well as Men's rugby sevens.

Major Misses
Rowing. Canoe. Kayak. Like what the actual bleepity bleep was that?
Seven boats. 3 A Finals, 1 medal. (and that medal came from the boat that told RCA to kick rocks) (and the other two were so flipping slow). the B finals weren't much better either.

Canoe: 3 boats. 3 Dismal finishes
Kayak: 7 boats - 7 Dismal finishes.

It was the worst regatta I've seen in my olympic life. (spanning 7 Olympics now). No to mention there's RCA's STUPID decision to split the men's eight boat. ironically i wonder had the 8's won a medal, would people be this mad i truly don't know.

Rowing Canada and Canoe/Kayak Canada are two different entities, so I don't know if they get any of RCA's 17 MILLION DOLLARS but I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot. and they sucked the major biscuit. RCA is already talking about changes and getting a new HP-CEO, but he basically stated the obvious. overall of a programme this big isn't going to be easy to overturn and fix over night. Or... really what he's saying is a quadrennial. Meaning. Tokyo could be just as bad. RCA already acknowledged that they'll more than likely lose some funding [but my guess being Canada's big medal draw + historically doing well, it won't be a major loss, but still. talk about a Shame, Shame Shame.

*Shawn Barber. I'll give the kid a lot of credit now, but I was not expecting a Catherine Pendrel moment from him. He wasn't good in qualifying, and he wasn't good in the final. Didn't look comfortable what so ever. my hope is, he comes back in 2020 and kicks some major butt.

Overall Impressions

I am always proud of Canada (even when they pull an Athens - 12 medals, Oi), or they do an Atlanta. The fact that Canada did their best Olympics ever in a FAO, without the help of Rowing Canada, is mindblowing, (which tells you in perspective - how amazing these games for Canada could have been). not everyone always converts though so perspectively we're on target. The fact that a large amount of our medals came from Athletes under the age of 27, and out of that number - 1/2 of them were first time Olympians - bodes well for Tokyo 2020. We shouldn't see a massive drop off (22 to 14 to 12 - Atlanta, Sydney, Athens), but we should start to see the medals actually increase - especially if OTP keeps targeting sports that we can do better in [few other sports I'd like to see for other medal opportunities would be archery, shooting, etc].

Some might argue that part of this success was due to Russia not competing, but I really don't think so. looking at the medals won - I don't know where you could add Russia and go "yeah, that's a medal Canada doesn't win].

It wouldn't surprise me that if not by Tokyo, by [Insert Country Here, More likely Rome] 2024, Canada's target will be 44 medals [Canada's best ever result at the Olympics, but were boycotted]. My summer Olympics goal for 2020 is going to be 25 medals. And I'd actually like to see us challenge for 7-8 gold medals, and more silver than bronze.

Next stop. Pyeongchang, South Korea which will take place 535 Days from now.

I remember Summer Olympics several Olympic cycles ago when the goals were all about top 10 or top 8 finishes. That was where goals were set for Canada before the Olympics and how success was measured. Now we talk about medals and gold medals. That is a way better place to be!

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Tokyo 2020 is going to be phenomenal. The Japanese always organize a great Olympic Games for the world. Hopefully our young athletes with unexpectedly positive results this time around use these games as a stepping stone to greater things (medals!) four years from now, and hopefully the talented disappointments (such as Barber) find the opportunity for redemption. I'm already looking forward to it.

Agreed. We've seen the summer Olympics as an afterthought for too long since we're much more of a winter sports country (London 2012 would have been disappointing if Rosie hadn't won gold). But around the globe more attention is paid to the summer games so it's great to see a new generation of Canadian summer Olympians put the world on notice. The curse of the Olympics is that as 'general sports' fans we have to wait 4 long years until the next one, but really Tokyo 2020 is gonna be AWESOME.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Great post, Daisy!

Really thrilled with how the games went for Canada.

The top 3 highlights for me were DeGrasse, Oleksiak (fantastic results, fantastic future) & MacLennan (wonderful flag bearer, so proud of her defending her gold).

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Would like to see us improve the Per Capita ranking. Think we could be higher than 26th. Just nitpicking at this point, mind you. Thought at the beginning we would finish with 12-14 medals or so with no golds.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Would like to see us improve the Per Capita ranking. Think we could be higher than 26th. Just nitpicking at this point, mind you. Thought at the beginning we would finish with 12-14 medals or so with no golds.

Yeah, I don't think we did too well in the per capita rankings to be honest. Per capita should favour small rich countries. Although we aren't a small country, there are countries with similar or better rankings than us that are much better. We do make up for it by doing well at the winters (I may make an excel spreadsheet tomorrow to do some analysis), but there are countries above us in medals per capita that I think we either should be above, or could learn from:

New Zealand - Should always be above us in medals per capita due to being a wealthy county with a much smaller population (but not so small that they won't have good athletes), but they had an excellent Olympics. A big reason for this is that they specialize in rowing, and sailing. 39% of their medals this year (and from all time) came from those two sports, even though the two sports only represent 8% of the total medals combined. Add in a few medals from athletics (where you can expect some since they make up 15% of the total medals), a good performance in canoeing, and some randoms, and you have a great Olympics.

Georgia - A country much smaller and much poorer than Canada, but they consistently get about a half a dozen medals in the summers. This is due to heavy specialization in wrestling, and to a lesser extent judo. Wrestling makes up over half of their all time medals, and judo is a quarter. These are good sports to specialize in since they are on the higher side in terms of medals (as well as their number 3 weightlifting), but the weight classifications limit the number of medals a star athlete can win.

Azerbaijan - Similar story as Azerbaijan, but more heavily specialized in one sport. 20 of 35 all time medals are in wrestling.

Hungary - Again smaller but poorer. They are 3rd all time in canoeing and fencing medals, and 4th in swimming. While they don't win as much without the communist funding they specialize (all but 1 medal in those three events this year), and they do it in sports where one athlete can win multiple medals.

It is getting pretty clear what one of the keys to Olympic success is: SPECIALIZATION. Some countries may only be able to do it in one sport, but I think we could pull of two (as well as two winter ones). I would say the other keys are population (can't do anything about that), economics, and women's sport (it is about half the medals, but many countries don't focus on it.) We are good in women's sport, good in economics, decent in population, but we haven't done to well in specialization.

Our top 4 sports in all time medals are athletics (56), swimming (46), rowing (40), and canoe/kayak (24). However if you rank nationals all time performance in those sports we are 15th (or 13th if you eliminate or merge predecessor states) in athletics, 10/9th in swimming, 6/5th in rowing, and 8/7th in canoe/kayak. In athletics and swimming the US absolutely dominates everyone, and we are still quite far behind the second tier countries (especially in athletics). However in rowing and canoe/kayak we are not to far behind the second tier (a bit more so in canoe/kayak, however the top of the medal table is mostly former communist nations whose best days at the Olympics are in the past. Considering the past success, the multitude of medals, and the potential for one athlete to win multiple medals I think all together that makes rowing and canoe/kayak good targets for specialization despite the dismal performance this year (on a side note, does anyone know if it is possible we can improve in the much canoe slalom?).

I think that we should develop a hierarchy of sports based on number of potential medals, recent success, historical success, and number of female participants to determine what gets funding. Bonus funding should then be provided for good results.

I would like to see the most money go to athletics, swimming, rowing, and canoe kayak. Not as sure with a second tier of funding but I would say it should include diving and maybe wrestling.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Really well-written, informative post. Thank you for all your work (and Ser Woof too!) during these Olympics, Daisy. I have really enjoyed reading your opinions. I'm incredibly sad that they are now over, but it's been brilliant posting with my fellow Canadians throughout all the successes, failures, near-misses, and the just plain bizarre (green diving pool, the race-walking debacle, Ryan Lochte fugitive anyone?) moments that defined Rio 2016.

Thanks very much! you too! It's aways fun to know there are other Olympic Freaks like me :) Like I've said I've been a huge fan of the Olympics since roughly 9 years Old and both Winter + Summer games are such amazing things for me. I am always in such a funk when the Games are over.

I think 2020 is going to be critical for Canadian sporting success. I remember how everyone thought it was going to be sooo different, we were on our way up - and then. back to back Olympics with not even cracking the top 20 in medals won. (a good chunk of it had to do with turnover. a lot of the medals won in Atlanta were won by older athletes who were retiring, or just older and couldn't keep up with younger athletes.

These Olympics are such a sign that our medals being won by those under the age of 27, they all should qualify and be in their sporting prime. Of course even with my issues w/OTP/RTE I can't deny that for the most part they are helping.

I remember Summer Olympics several Olympic cycles ago when the goals were all about top 10 or top 8 finishes. That was where goals were set for Canada before the Olympics and how success was measured. Now we talk about medals and gold medals. That is a way better place to be!

Easy, 2010, Vancouver games. that's where it all really started for Canada, and I have to say, 3 games post Vancouver [Vancouver to Sochi - only minimal drop off, which was to be expected, Peyongchang will be another bench mark, and then. Vancouver - to London - to Sochi - to Rio also has seen marked improvement]

That's why in my opinion - a summer games in Canada would be so beneficial in the long run. we're already seeing the payoff of the Pan Am games (see: swimming + track), having an games could update more facilities and create more funding and benefits for the athletes. the biggest draw back is, the Summer Games are a gong show. I don't think Montreal would touch it with a 10 foot pole, Toronto WANTS it, but I don't think we could handle it, really not sure about Calgary, and Maaaayyybeeee? Vancouver? I know that Canada wants to host the winter games again (yes please!!) and they are focusing on that... but. :dunno: Games funding is Games funding, but if it was summer we could have another velodrome , etc.

Great post, Daisy!

Really thrilled with how the games went for Canada.

The top 3 highlights for me were DeGrasse, Oleksiak (fantastic results, fantastic future) & MacLennan (wonderful flag bearer, so proud of her defending her gold).

thanks! and I agree :) also Derek Drouin was a highlight as well. he was on the radio saying Tokyo is completely his goal and he wants to start tackling world record heights.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, I don't think we did too well in the per capita rankings to be honest. Per capita should favour small rich countries. Although we aren't a small country, there are countries with similar or better rankings than us that are much better. We do make up for it by doing well at the winters (I may make an excel spreadsheet tomorrow to do some analysis), but there are countries above us in medals per capita that I think we either should be above, or could learn from:

If you do - do you mind sending me your data? I love this stuff. i do agree with you, the ultimate kickback comes in the winter time. (though there are some sports there, that makes me wonder why we're not as good - ie: cross country skiing, skiing, etc.

It is getting pretty clear what one of the keys to Olympic success is: SPECIALIZATION. Some countries may only be able to do it in one sport, but I think we could pull of two (as well as two winter ones). I would say the other keys are population (can't do anything about that), economics, and women's sport (it is about half the medals, but many countries don't focus on it.) We are good in women's sport, good in economics, decent in population, but we haven't done to well in specialization.

I think that is becoming OTP's plan. Instead of being decent at everything, they are starting to focus on the specialization of sports. That's why people are so upset with Rowing Canada because they got the brunt of the money -Rowing, Track, Swimming were the big three - and Track paid off, swimming paid off,, and Rowing was dead on arrival.

They are also targeting women, according to the HP-CEO. that's why our women's wrestling team is so deep, the coach for swim canada specialized in sprints + training women and so on.

Our top 4 sports in all time medals are athletics (56), swimming (46), rowing (40), and canoe/kayak (24). However if you rank nationals all time performance in those sports we are 15th (or 13th if you eliminate or merge predecessor states) in athletics, 10/9th in swimming, 6/5th in rowing, and 8/7th in canoe/kayak. In athletics and swimming the US absolutely dominates everyone, and we are still quite far behind the second tier countries (especially in athletics). However in rowing and canoe/kayak we are not to far behind the second tier (a bit more so in canoe/kayak, however the top of the medal table is mostly former communist nations whose best days at the Olympics are in the past. Considering the past success, the multitude of medals, and the potential for one athlete to win multiple medals I think all together that makes rowing and canoe/kayak good targets for specialization despite the dismal performance this year (on a side note, does anyone know if it is possible we can improve in the much canoe slalom?).

To your last question - we should. I don't know we don't add to the white-water portions, but - for flat water, yes, def. I do think part of the issue is a lot of turnover happened between london and Rio, those who stayed are old. (Van Koverdan), and well let's be honest, de Jong choked. But he ain't a spring chicken in the sport either. I want to say it's just a fluke (please be a fluke). They also nixed a race class, so i wonder if that messed up training for some people.

I think that we should develop a hierarchy of sports based on number of potential medals, recent success, historical success, and number of female participants to determine what gets funding. Bonus funding should then be provided for good results.

I would like to see the most money go to athletics, swimming, rowing, and canoe kayak. Not as sure with a second tier of funding but I would say it should include diving and maybe wrestling.

That's why i said, while the HP-CEO is expecting the funding to be cut for rowing, if it were me, I would actually give them more money. accept it was a dud, do some investigation of what went wrong (and WHY Jennerich/Obee didn't want to be a part of them, something is there) . and then re-develop the programme.

1:Sculls first - focusing on that, makes a charge at germany.
2: depth in the 8 and the 4. the USA have been dominate at 8s for almost 12 years now. part of it is the college/Princeton bubble, but Canada isn't that far off.

We are focusing on athletics but I noticed we either did sprints, or distance, nothing too much in the middle distances (for either sex), so I'd also put money into that.

Wrestling has been well funded. I actually think, Canada's won a medal in it in every games since ... wow. 1992. yes. okay. since 1992, Canada has won at least 1 medal in the sport. (and actually since 2000, has won a Gold every other games, 2000, 2008, 2012.)

Diving... is weird. China's been such a powerhouse (moreso after 1996). putting too much into the programme only guarantees you 6 medals. (springboard/platform syncro, springboard/platform men's bronze, and springboard/platform women's bronze). It's very rare for china to not do well - While that is 6 medals more.....

I would be targeting Gymnastics big time in my opinion. A lot of countries that used to be powerhouses aren't doing that well (Ukraine, Romania). the USA only started coming into power from 1996 had a major dip, and when they created the Women's National Development programme and basically trained everyone at the Karoyli ranch, that's when their dominance really took off - that and they seem to train powerful gymnasts and not waifs.).

I'd also put a touch more into Equestrian (both Jumping and 3 day eventing). that's potential 4 medals a side there. And archery.

so yeah these would be my sports to concentrate on.

Major Emphasis:
Swimming, Athletics, Rowing/Canoe/Kayak, Cycling, Wrestling

Secondary Focus:
Gymnastics, Archery, Diving, Equestrian

Third focus.
team sports. <<--- i think that is key as well to also help the fitness portions in schools and all. if all our national programmes on the team level are good - then it filters down to grassroots and school, and that is key.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Here's a punch to the gut. this is the first games in 28 years that Canada didn't GET a canoe/kayak medal. (and apparently, there is a massive soap-opera going on in CK/Canada)

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/canoe-kayak-canada-reeling-from-internal-strife-report.html

Sound like they need a real coach

I wouldn't give the athletes a pass though...sound like a bunch of ego maniacs. Bottom line is they all choked and failed miserably. Cant blame that on someone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad