Series Talk: ECQF: Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs (Series Tied 3-3)

What will be the outcome of this series?

• Boston in 4

Votes: 95 6.1%
  • Boston in 5

Votes: 307 19.8%
  • Boston in 6

Votes: 445 28.7%
  • Boston in 7

Votes: 277 17.8%
  • Toronto in 4

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • Toronto in 5

Votes: 38 2.4%
  • Toronto in 6

Votes: 188 12.1%
  • Toronto in 7

Votes: 183 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Keefe and Boucher were coaches for all 6 games
Don’t forget McCann who was an excellent depth scoring option missing all 6 games

It’s an absolute Christmas miracle how Toronto has pushed this to 7
Sorta. I mean to two teams with a tendency to choke facing off. Someone has to lose lol

But yeah, as the Leafs I’d be worried about a Panthers series as the Panthers were an even better defensive team than the Bruins and have goalies too. They allowed 24 fewer goals than the Bruins

The leafs just scoring 2 goals a game doesn’t inspire the most confidence, and Matthews being out is only part of that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sorta. I mean to two teams with a tendency to choke facing off. Someone has to lose lol

But yeah, as the Leafs I’d be worried about a Panthers series as the Panthers were an even better defensive team than the Bruins and have goalies too. They allowed 24 fewer goals than the Bruins

The leafs just scoring 2 goals a game doesn’t inspire the most confidence, and Matthews being out is only part of that.

People say this stuff every year.

Last year during the Leafs-Florida series, everyone said Carolina would smoke the winner of that series. Carolina got swept.

When the Leafs - Montreal went to Game 7, everyone said how great the Jets were for sweeping the weak Oilers team and how they would dominate the winner of Toronto-Montreal. Montreal went on to sweep the Jets. Then everyone said but Vegas who beat Colorado would smoke Montreal. Montreal won that series in 6.

When the Leafs - Tampa series went to 7, everyone said how the President's Trophy winning Panthers would beat both of those teams. The Lightning swept Florida, then NYR in 6, and went to the Finals.

One series isn't indicative of another. Clearly the team that won the Atlantic would be the favourite against the two teams that didn't though.

Last edited:

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Don't see how Boston wins this. Especially if Matthews is back.

Even marner can have his sins washed away if he shows up for this one game. Leafs have too many genuine game breakers that the bruins lack.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
How many games did you play in the show?

Gonna provide you with a parapraph from the forum rules since you seem lost.

§3.15b
Don't agree with a former player's tweet? Attack his credibility by using one of the following ways:
1) He never won anything.
2) Who even remembers him?
3) Who the f*** is he to use Twitter without my persmission? f***ing scumbag scrub.
4) What does he even know? He only played like XXX games and scored XXX points in the NHL. I know better.
5) He's just a XXXXX-homer.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
People say this stuff every year.

Last year during the Leafs-Florida series, everyone said Carolina would smoke the winner of that series. Carolina got swept.

When the Leafs - Montreal went to Game 7, everyone said how great the Jets were for sweeping the weak Oilers team and how they would dominate the winner of Toronto-Montreal. Montreal went on to sweep the Jets. Then everyone said but Vegas who beat Colorado would smoke Montreal. Montreal won that series in 6.

When the Leafs - Tampa went to 7, everyone said how the President's Trophy winning Panthers would beat both of those teams. The Lightning swept Florida, then NYR in 6, and went to the Finals.

One series isn't indicative of another. Clearly the team that won the Atlantic would be the favourite against the two teams that didn't though.
Lots of people didn’t pay attention to the Panthers down the stretch last year and didn’t realize they were hot before the playoffs.

The Hurricanes weakness was entirely lack of killer offense, and they went up against a team with improved defense and great goaltending. That was the worst possible matchup for the Canes who had for years a tendency to lob low percentage shots

Leafs had better regular season offense than the Bruins or Panthers, but haven’t demonstrated that killer instinct as well in the playoffs as the regular season, and that applies still so far even as they have the puck much of the time here.

Panthers just scored 17 goals in 5 games while the leafs are at 11 in 6

The Panthers have two guys (the only two I checked and compared to the regular season yet) who drastically upped their offense from the regular season, and its spread over every game of the series.
Verhaeghe at 9 and Tkachuk at 9 in 5 games. The rest of their rosters lookin good too, and Bennett is coming back who has a recent history of improving in the playoffs.

Matthews Nylander got all the points in one of the games he played

Small samples and illness and such, but that’s still at least a question mark. Marner hasn’t been too hot yet, Nylander is probably good to go now I’d guess honestly.

Obviously there’s stuff like “the panthers are fresh” or alternatively “the long break screwed the panthers mentally”, teams/goalies mental game. Of course it’s not impossible for the leafs to beat the panthers..

But then I only said “I wouldn’t have a ton of confidence.” I definitely still feel that (and would feel the same for B’s v Panthers)

Last edited:

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Domi and Knies don’t have much of a playoff track record. Reilly isn’t bad but I wouldn’t refer to him as clutch.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.58.35 PM.png

See the above boxscore to see Domi's most important playoff resume. The Boston goalie for this game 7 was Swayman.

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010

Florida will beat whoever advances

Reactions: Chips and BB79

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Don't see how Boston wins this. Especially if Matthews is back.

Even marner can have his sins washed away if he shows up for this one game. Leafs have too many genuine game breakers that the bruins lack.

The Leafs aren't much better off with Matthews. He's not a difference-maker in the playoffs. And he clearly checked out after be didn't hit 70 goals.

Every outcome here is amazing for hockey fans:

1) Leafs choke on another game 7 and are out in the first round like every year. Because they "battled hard", management runs it back next year. Boston gets smoked in round 2.

2) Leafs win and get destroyed in the second round again. Because they won a round, management runs it back next year. Boston chokes another 3-1 series lead.

Reactions: japurple01

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Holy shit we have ourselves a good ol’ fashioned choke off.

In the one corner: The Leafs (self-explanatory)

In the other: The Bruins, which now seem to have a penchant for imploding when up 3-1.

Which of these two tire fires will be able to LifeVac (TM) themselves out of this choke?

• Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Everyone everywhere could have saved handing over these millionaire owners, players, broadcasters, sponsors and advertisers millions by just booking game 7 winner take all. Both team played for a game 7 and everyone makes money in that coin toss.

Both fanbases get to endure and then one gets crushed like they have in the past.

In the pursuit of the almighty dollar, one of these franchises will have taken it too far this year. It's going to be scary to see the fallout for the people who pulled the strings for this.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Holy shit we have ourselves a good ol’ fashioned choke off.

In the one corner: The Leafs (self-explanatory)

In the other: The Bruins, which now seem to have a penchant for imploding when up 3-1.

Which of these two tire fires will be able to LifeVac (TM) themselves out of this choke?
It's honestly embarrassing to watch as an outside fan. Truely, there are no winners in this fight.

Reactions: Panthers Propaganda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad