WC: TEAM CANADA 2023

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Happy Canada won, pretty shocked actually. The team on paper is one of the worst we have ever sent over, at least recently. I'm glad to see some upsets and success from nontraditional hockey powers. Things really didn't look good for Canada pre playoff rounds.

I appreciate those who went over to support Canada and took time away from their families and rest. Thanks guys and it paid off.
Agree. Kind of nice to see these guys do well. I looked at the 2015 roster today and there were about eight to ten players that would have been better on paper than anyone on this team. But it's not about who said no, it's about the ones who said yes. Happy for Lucic, actually, since he called them himself and asked to be on the team. Pretty cool for him as a first time TC player.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
This year’s playoffs have just been depressing, and I’m going through a hockey crisis as I try to transition from a Penguins fan (after being disaffected all year, and as Crosby begins to decline) to a Hawks fan (to follow my boy Bedard).

This year’s draft is so unpredictable, I’m really looking forward to it and hoping it will jolt my interest long enough to last until the Hlinka!
Why wasn't Bedard at the WHC?

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010
That was a damn good team.
The roster that really sticks in my head is the 1994 one. Maybe because it was the first time since 1961 that they had won, but it was a damn good roster and team. Great games as well

Kariya
Shanahan
Sakic
Robitaille
Arnott
Brindamour
Sanderson
Thomas
Emerson
Corson
Ricci
Racine
Bergevin
Buchberger
Blake
Duchesne
Dollas
Richardson
Ranford
Fiset
Sydor

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The roster that really sticks in my head is the 1994 one. Maybe because it was the first time since 1961 that they had won, but it was a damn good roster and team. Great games as well

Kariya
Shanahan
Sakic
Robitaille
Arnott
Brindamour
Sanderson
Thomas
Emerson
Corson
Ricci
Racine
Bergevin
Buchberger
Blake
Duchesne
Dollas
Richardson
Ranford
Fiset
Sydor
Robaitaille with the big leg kick after the sweet move to seal the deal in the shootout against the Finns..........loved that team.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Agree. Kind of nice to see these guys do well. I looked at the 2015 roster today and there were about eight to ten players that would have been better on paper than anyone on this team. But it's not about who said no, it's about the ones who said yes. Happy for Lucic, actually, since he called them himself and asked to be on the team. Pretty cool for him as a first time TC player.
I saw that as well. Credit to Lucic for seeking the opportunity. Now, as an unrestricted free agent was that a business decision? Sure, but I still give him credit for it. The only other time I remember hearing that a player contacted Hockey Canada to ask was Crosby in 2015, which was a drastically different situation but I still give Crosby credit for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I saw that as well. Credit to Lucic for seeking the opportunity. Now, as an unrestricted free agent was that a business decision? Sure, but I still give him credit for it. The only other time I remember hearing that a player contacted Hockey Canada to ask was Crosby in 2015, which was a drastically different situation but I still give Crosby credit for it.
I'm sure it was part business, but also part personal.

When is he going to ever get another chance to wear the Maple Leaf? He only did it once back in 07 for an under 20 super series.

Could be partially trying to show his worth for another contract, but also taking advantage of an opportunity he might kick himself later about if he didn't go.

Reactions: 1989 and jj cale

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
It's worth noting that the last time Canada won gold, it was the work of a relatively unheralded goalie who followed up the world championships gold with a Stanley Cup.

Plan the parade, Habs fans!

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
There's an interesting and (at least for me) pretty unusual quote from general secretary of Czech hockey (Jan Černý), published in today's article on hokej.cz (regarding 2024 WHC).

"Our preliminary negotiations with representatives of Hockey Canada are such that if Team Canada is going to play in Prague, we can expect the arrival of their stars", believes Černý.

They now submitted a request to secure that Canada is going to be in Prague and USA in Ostrava.

One thing I know for sure, I will be buying tickets to CAN games as soon as possible!

Reactions: jaro and jj cale

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Have to admit that this Canada team that won gold just proves how worthless the IIHF World Championship really is. When teams don't even come close to sending their best players, there is nothing to really play for.

Germany and Latvia winning silver and bronze underscores how unimportant the big-8 viewed this tournament.

If anything, they should just turn this into an under 23 tournament or something like that.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
World Champion -World Champion -World Champion

World Champion -World Champion

World Champion World Champion World Champion
FTFY

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Funny. But can someone please tell me evil played with who?

Thanks!
1685394246798.png

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yes it was great to see. I was not impressed with the Roster Canada sent to this tournament. I thought they were destined to a QF Loss, and one of the weaker Teams Canada has sent this past decade. However, credit to the coaching staff and all the players for really evolving and coming together. Congratulations to our D or E Team for winning Gold against countries in Europe that treat this tournament very seriously.

Happy Canada won, pretty shocked actually. The team on paper is one of the worst we have ever sent over, at least recently. I'm glad to see some upsets and success from nontraditional hockey powers. Things really didn't look good for Canada pre playoff rounds.

I appreciate those who went over to support Canada and took time away from their families and rest. Thanks guys and it paid off.
I've seen this sentiment around quite a bit, and Tyler Myers even poked fun at it - the "worst team Canada" anyone's ever seen.

I honestly don't get it. I mean, maybe relative to past WC teams Canada has sent it's a bit worse, but really not by much. And taking a look at the rosters the rest of the countries sent, IMO Canada was the clear favourite to win the tournament. They were the only team with NHL-calibre depth players.

Really, as soon as I went through the rosters I immediately put some money down on Canada to win the WCs. +400 at some books, which I thought was absolutely nuts given the competition.

I mean, a team Germany without Draisaitl/Stutzle and a team USA filled with near exclusively NCAA players were legitimately the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the tournament. Canada had the best team on paper by far.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Kariya
Shanahan
Sakic
Robitaille
Arnott
Brindamour
Sanderson
Thomas
Emerson
Corson
Ricci
Racine
Bergevin
Buchberger
Blake
Duchesne
Dollas
Richardson
Ranford
Fiset
Sydor
That was a great lineup for the Worlds!

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
According to Gord, TC outscored the opposition 17-3 in the 3rd period. Even eliminating the ENs, this is an impressive stat - especially in a ten game tourny. So why ? Here's a few theories:
a.) A lot of teams play a short bench while TC generally rolled 4 lines. Paid off in the 3rd.
b.) TC is on average younger and in better shape therefore more energy in 3rd. (Seems unlikely)
c.) TC had a ton of confidence/team spirit and therefore stayed focused and avoided mental errors as the game moved into the late stages.

I'd like to think it's (c) and I find this intriguing because it speaks to heart & soul rather than talent & systems. Ultimately what you'd want your team to be about.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Have to admit that this Canada team that won gold just proves how worthless the IIHF World Championship really is. When teams don't even come close to sending their best players, there is nothing to really play for.

Germany and Latvia winning silver and bronze underscores how unimportant the big-8 viewed this tournament.

If anything, they should just turn this into an under 23 tournament or something like that.
They also beat a Finland team 4-1 on home soil, with 13 returning players from last years gold team.
Canada had 0 returning players from a team that lost the Championship game last year.
IMO, Finland got lucky last year and Canada shafted on the reffing!

Reactions: jj cale and Mehar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad