WC: TEAM CANADA 2023

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I've seen this sentiment around quite a bit, and Tyler Myers even poked fun at it - the "worst team Canada" anyone's ever seen.

I honestly don't get it. I mean, maybe relative to past WC teams Canada has sent it's a bit worse, but really not by much. And taking a look at the rosters the rest of the countries sent, IMO Canada was the clear favourite to win the tournament. They were the only team with NHL-calibre depth players.

Really, as soon as I went through the rosters I immediately put some money down on Canada to win the WCs. +400 at some books, which I thought was absolutely nuts given the competition.

I mean, a team Germany without Draisaitl/Stutzle and a team USA filled with near exclusively NCAA players were legitimately the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the tournament. Canada had the best team on paper by far.

You had more faith than most, credit to you. I wasn't aware who was missing from most other teams. I always feel European teams are more likely to get their best players, if available. Canada took a while to gel and find that chemistry. But on paper, still missing some stand out names. Some surprise goal tending too.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've seen this sentiment around quite a bit, and Tyler Myers even poked fun at it - the "worst team Canada" anyone's ever seen.

I honestly don't get it. I mean, maybe relative to past WC teams Canada has sent it's a bit worse, but really not by much. And taking a look at the rosters the rest of the countries sent, IMO Canada was the clear favourite to win the tournament. They were the only team with NHL-calibre depth players.

Really, as soon as I went through the rosters I immediately put some money down on Canada to win the WCs. +400 at some books, which I thought was absolutely nuts given the competition.

I mean, a team Germany without Draisaitl/Stutzle and a team USA filled with near exclusively NCAA players were legitimately the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the tournament. Canada had the best team on paper by far.
Here is the article - I'm sure someone else has already posted it but...

Reactions: Mainiac

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A gold medal at the Worlds is nothing compared to a Canadian team finally winning the Stanley Cup after all these years. I think Canada should boycott the Worlds until that drought finally is broken.

Ottawa’s best players are mostly Americans and one German.

The “drought” means nothing to me as a Canadian. Hundreds of Canadians continue to lift the Cup. Meanwhile, build better teams and play better if you want to win the Cup.

Conflating performance of our national teams with how a city’s international squad performs in a domestic league is silly.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

The “drought” means nothing to me as a Canadian. Hundreds of Canadians continue to lift the Cup. Meanwhile, build better teams and play better if you want to win the Cup.

Conflating performance of our national teams with how a city’s international squad performs in a domestic league is silly.

Definitely a few Canucks to cheer for.lol

FTR.. Kessel is in the final again and that, somehow, totally eluded me.

Jimmy71

Apr 2, 2022

I'm the same way. Canadians are always winning the cup

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hope everybody is having a great summer! BBQs are in full swing. So, I hear news that McDavid is taking the plunge into married life soon. I guess the wedding will be next summer....which means most likely that the vast majority of A list Canadian NHLers will decline an invite to the WHC next May! After the I'm nursing some injuries excuse. I have a wedding to attend in August is the 2nd. most popular excuse to decline an invite to the WHC.

Prague Powerhouse Team Canada 2024 is looking a little less certain with Connor's pending nuptials.

But congrats Connor and Lauren. I'll be looking for my invite to the social event of the summer 2024,

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
What ever happened to that report on the 2018 WJC team? Did it just disappear into the abyss?
until the investigation and adjudicative process of the alleged incident in 2018 are complete, no players from the 2018 National Junior Team will be considered for participation for Team Canada.

We are waiting on the police investigation to wrap up. Stay tuned.

shenmue16

Apr 19, 2023
until the investigation and adjudicative process of the alleged incident in 2018 are complete, no players from the 2018 National Junior Team will be considered for participation for Team Canada.

We are waiting on the police investigation to wrap up. Stay tuned.
Didn't the NHL and/or Hockey Canada have an investigation and a report? I thought the report was supposed to be released by now. Didn't Bettman say it was in the end stages?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
How many points does Bedard get in his first international senior men's game? I'm thinking 5 sounds about right.

2024 Team Canada Roster coming Labour Day Weekend. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad