Confirmed Signing with Link: [TB] Tampa re-signs Stamkos 8 years, 8.5AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I think the numbers were good for Stamkos but I am afraid that it will end up shackling them in the next few years. I actually thought his departure would be better for them because they would have cap space to resign all of their other players. This is a team that went 7 games against the eventual Cup champions without Stamkos.

Yes he makes them better right now, but once after next year when many of their really solid players' contracts are up, how will they be able to resign them all? I hope I'm wrong. I just see depth as a better option than a few top end players, especially when Stamkos' best years are behind him.

Do y'all think that Tampa can resign all of Hedman, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, and Drouin while remaining Cup contenders? I'm hoping they can, but I'm afraid they will end up becoming the Blackhawks where every year they have to jettison depth. Honestly though, if they win a Cup, I'd have to say it was all worth it.

This is precisely why I didn't want us to resign him. It'll be a miracle if Yzerman can somehow manage to keep Hedman, the Triplets, and Drouin around long term, and even if he manages to work that miracle we'll have no depth behind them. Unless Stamkos suddenly turns into the old, pre-leg injury version of himself AND starts producing like crazy in the playoffs I fear this deal will haunt us for years to come.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the numbers were good for Stamkos but I am afraid that it will end up shackling them in the next few years. I actually thought his departure would be better for them because they would have cap space to resign all of their other players. This is a team that went 7 games against the eventual Cup champions without Stamkos.

Yes he makes them better right now, but once after next year when many of their really solid players' contracts are up, how will they be able to resign them all? I hope I'm wrong. I just see depth as a better option than a few top end players, especially when Stamkos' best years are behind him.

Do y'all think that Tampa can resign all of Hedman, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, and Drouin while remaining Cup contenders? I'm hoping they can, but I'm afraid they will end up becoming the Blackhawks where every year they have to jettison depth. Honestly though, if they win a Cup, I'd have to say it was all worth it.

I think Tampa will lose one of Johnson, Palat or Drouin at least. Because Hedman, Kucherov and Vasilevsky are bigger priority.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I think Tampa will lose one of Johnson, Palat or Drouin at least. Because Hedman, Kucherov and Vasilevsky are bigger priority.

I'm afraid you're probably right. It'll be interesting to see which one goes: Drouin is probably the best of the three but he's also the one who definitely won't give us a discount to stick around. Palat is the least valuable scoring-wise but the most valuable in every other aspect and the best two-way forward on the team. Johnson plays the most valuable position and is one of our two best playoff scorers but oddly enough he might be the most easily replaced.

I'm going to hate losing any of those guys and I'd much rather have all three of them than Stamkos.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
I'm afraid you're probably right. It'll be interesting to see which one goes: Drouin is probably the best of the three but he's also the one who definitely won't give us a discount to stick around. Palat is the least valuable scoring-wise but the most valuable in every other aspect and the best two-way forward on the team. Johnson plays the most valuable position and is one of our two best playoff scorers but oddly enough he might be the most easily replaced.

I'm going to hate losing any of those guys and I'd much rather have all three of them than Stamkos.

Easy answer is Jonhson imo. If he had another good season he may ask for 6m that's only 2.5m less than Stamkos. If the coach is smart enough he will play Drouin with Stamkos on the first line, Stamkos need that type of player to set him up and he will get back to 50+ goals

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Easy answer is Jonhson imo. If he had another good season he may ask for 6m that's only 2.5m less than Stamkos. If the coach is smart enough he will play Drouin with Stamkos on the first line, Stamkos need that type of player to set him up and he will get back to 50+ goals

That's probably overly optimistic. I'd honestly rather see Drouin with Kucherov (Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov???).

I think Stammer's 50 goal days are over.

I don't want to lose Johnson because center depth is so important. We have a great 1-2, and if we can get Johnson to follow Stamkos's lead and take a little less money, we could keep both of them and trim elsewhere. I know this is supposed to be Very Happy and all that jazz, but I feel like if Stamkos is our 1a, we very much need a 1b. Same story with Johnson. So these two work well together, but, if we were to separate them, I feel like we'd have to have a hell of a #2. Stamkos goes invisible for long stretches and Johnson has durability issues.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016

Yeah I figure we'll end up swapping Johnson for a wealth of prospects. A high-scoring center with a fantastic playoff resume should fetch a nice return. Palat oddly enough is more difficult to replace and wouldn't bring as much in return, and our only hope of not taking a massive bath on Stammer's deal is if Drouin can work some magic with him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Did Steven Stamkos really blink...or does have a great accountant who told him that he would keep more money if he signed in Tampa (structured this way) than if he signs in Toronto, where the contract would have had to be at least $12.37M in order to equal the take-home pay from the deal he signed. In real money after taxes, this is the best deal. especially given how it's structured. (See here: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...pa-instead-of-leaving-in-nhl-free-agency.html ) The tax rate Stamkos pays staying in Tampa (on the bonus money and salary for games played in Florida) is just 39.6 percent, as opposed to 53.53 percent in Toronto.

(As for his contract, I expect that it will be insured.)

Yes. It was the same contract he was offered earlier. Im assuming his accountant didnt just figure out canadian and american tax laws are different. If he was like this is a great deal, he would have signed in february.

Also you arent factoring in that he would get paid in us here and the exchange rate typically is 20-40 percent. Also the fact that people like wendel clark still make millions in sponsorships 30 yrs after playing in to. Stamkos wont get a penny after he retires in tampa.

Clark is 50 yrs old and still has endorsements with canadian tire

Left money on the table for sure

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
That's probably overly optimistic. I'd honestly rather see Drouin with Kucherov (Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov???).

I think Stammer's 50 goal days are over.

I don't want to lose Johnson because center depth is so important. We have a great 1-2, and if we can get Johnson to follow Stamkos's lead and take a little less money, we could keep both of them and trim elsewhere. I know this is supposed to be Very Happy and all that jazz, but I feel like if Stamkos is our 1a, we very much need a 1b. Same story with Johnson. So these two work well together, but, if we were to separate them, I feel like we'd have to have a hell of a #2. Stamkos goes invisible for long stretches and Johnson has durability issues.

It's definitely a problem. But if not Johnson, who? We don't have anybody who brings everything that Palat brings to the table and with Killorn also a likely casualty we can't afford to lose another valuable two-way top six forward. Plus he wouldn't bring nearly as much in return. And Drouin is needed to somehow salvage some value out of Stammer's signing.

Really we can't afford to lose any of these guys, but we likely don't have a choice now.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yes. It was the same contract he was offered earlier. Im assuming his accountant didnt just figure out canadian and american tax laws are different. If he was like this is a great deal, he would have signed in february.

Also you arent factoring in that he would get paid in us here and the exchange rate typically is 20-40 percent. Also the fact that people like wendel clark still make millions in sponsorships 30 yrs after playing in to. Stamkos wont get a penny after he retires in tampa.

Clark is 50 yrs old and still has endorsements with canadian tire

Left money on the table for sure

Escrow pays out in USD wherever he lives.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If you know anything about Lightning history is that Johnson and Cooper came in together into the Lightning organization. Johnson runs Cooper's system better than anyone else in the organization. That might as well be Cooper's son - doubt he goes anywhere.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I really didn't care if Stamkos re-signed w/ Tampa or not. I am glad it was for a reasonable term. Of course no more Leafers calling dibs. All of a sudden that Kopitar contract looks pretty high. Not that it didn't before yesterday of course.

Clutchure39

May 25, 2016
Don't see Bishop wearing a tampa jersey in the 2017-2018 season. And I also don't think anyone on tampa will be given more money than Stammer next year.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Did Steven Stamkos really blink...or does have a great accountant who told him that he would keep more money if he signed in Tampa (structured this way) than if he signs in Toronto, where the contract would have had to be at least $12.37M in order to equal the take-home pay from the deal he signed. In real money after taxes, this is the best deal. especially given how it's structured. (See here: https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...pa-instead-of-leaving-in-nhl-free-agency.html ) The tax rate Stamkos pays staying in Tampa (on the bonus money and salary for games played in Florida) is just 39.6 percent, as opposed to 53.53 percent in Toronto.

Why does everyone ignore the 2.35% medicare tax in the US?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's definitely a problem. But if not Johnson, who? We don't have anybody who brings everything that Palat brings to the table and with Killorn also a likely casualty we can't afford to lose another valuable two-way top six forward. Plus he wouldn't bring nearly as much in return. And Drouin is needed to somehow salvage some value out of Stammer's signing.

Really we can't afford to lose any of these guys, but we likely don't have a choice now.

We don't have to re-up everybody. Filppula might be out, Namestnikov might be out by 2017 rather than re-upping, we might be able to replace Coburn. Callahan might reclaim some trade value.

It's too early to panic. Let's see what this year brings and make our 2017 decisions based on that.

Everyone's going to have to take less money to stay, just like Stamkos did. The guys who refuse to do that are likely the ones who'll be out. ...Except Hedman. We'll give him whatever he wants.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Everyone's going to have to take less money to stay, just like Stamkos did. The guys who refuse to do that are likely the ones who'll be out.

That's what I'm worried about. Drouin's not going to take less and he's probably one of our two most valuable forwards along with Kucherov.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's what I'm worried about. Drouin's not going to take less and he's probably one of our two most valuable forwards along with Kucherov.

Drouin will be an RFA. If he wants out again, he'll be wanting out again with (optimistically) a 70 point season under his belt. We'll get a return.

I don't think that'll happen though. I think he's going to really like playing with guys who can put the puck in the net.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
And here we all thought he had one foot out the door.

Congrats Lightning fans. There will be some interesting decisions left to be made by Yzerman and some backstepping from Lightning fans who said he was one-dimensional and trending down, no doubt about it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And here we all thought he had one foot out the door.

Congrats Lightning fans. There will be some interesting decisions left to be made by Yzerman and some backstepping from Lightning fans who said he was one-dimensional and trending down, no doubt about it.

I'm 100% sticking to my guns on that. Stamkos isn't the same player he was, and he's not an $8.5m player anymore. But the 8.5, instead of 10.5, makes it an easier pill to swallow. It feels sort of bittersweet. Even Stamkos's biggest detractors think he's a good guy and like having him as the face of the franchise.

But if anyone says his on-ice play isn't worrisome, it's because enough time has passed that they're not remembering it clearly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Question to Toronto fans (if they're still in here): Why not take a crack at Eric Staal? I mean that seriously. A lot of Leafs' fans reasoning for going after Stamkos was the mentor angle. Staal isn't the player Stamkos is, but he's also not going to handcuff your team. You can probably get him on a very friendly deal, and, unlike Stamkos, he's a guy who might very well find his game under Mike Babcock. Seems to me like not a bad guy to bring on board through the growing pains stage of a rebuild, and then you can decide whether to keep him or not when it's time to contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad